Diablo® III

Marvel Heroes

04/04/2013 12:14 PMPosted by Berethos
The one from December? They really did, though I do wonder how many in the press that reviewed the early look realized just how early of a look they were getting. Some judgments/articles seemed to think what they were playing then was similar to what would be released.

I've had beta access since October and the game has taken nothing sidesteps all these months. Those previews from December are all still accurate.

Marvel Heroes is an ugly game with abysmal hero and skill design. It reminds me of the multitude of shoestring budget isometric Korean MMOs from more than ten years ago. If you still think Ragnarok Online is somehow relevant in 2013, then go ahead and try it I guess.
Reply Quote
I just tried playing the beta for the first time this weekend, and here's what I got away from it.

Pros:
great animation, textures, and game effects
potentially very high number of playable characters

Cons:
Doesn't bring anything new to the genre.
Very few skills
low amount of starting playable characters
f2p model

This could be a good game, but it needs to bring something new to the table in order to stand out and break the monotony of the genre.
Reply Quote
I just tried playing the beta for the first time this weekend, and here's what I got away from it.

Pros:
great animation, textures, and game effects
potentially very high number of playable characters

Cons:
Doesn't bring anything new to the genre.
Very few skills
low amount of starting playable characters
f2p model

This could be a good game, but it needs to bring something new to the table in order to stand out and break the monotony of the genre.

Low amount of starting playable characters is sorta relative - the freebie option is definitely limited at (I believe) 5. That's spot on with other recent offerings in the genre, unless you count builds as classes in PoE.

Of course, there's also currently 20 total characters available via in-game drops or the store, with another 6 on the way. Compare that to the 5 we get in Diablo (that, even with the freedom of the skill rune system Blizzard uses, feel about as flexible as most MH characters do with the older style talent tree), and the amount of characters available is no longer a con at all.

Then again, if you consider the sheer number of possible heroes, the soon to be 26 on offer suddenly feels a tad small again.

As for the payment model - I've found more and more that it's not so much the choice of a buy to play, pay to play subscription, free to play design, or some hybrid of the above that makes the difference...it's the company behind it. Given that their current offerings are, for the most part, little different than what Blizzard offers in WoW, their current iteration of the F2P model doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Costumes are a lot like vanity mounts (plus can drop in-game), XP/Item Rarity boosts are like the mini-pet you can sell on the AH (in that they can provide assistance in reaching other goals, and are not the goals themselves), and the fortune cards remind me of the random rewards that come from of the TCG loot cards.

The F2P model is not the boogeyman it once was.
Reply Quote
Heres a post i made about it on my guild forums, I looked at the crappy web site, went meh, but a friend wanted to try it so i did also, and was very surprised.

Open beta this coming weekend, doesn't hurt to give it a go with some mates.

I played this all day yesterday with Raveshaw, I hadn't really heard of it but it was a free closed beta weekend, I was very surprised, I now have a game to look forward to. It's release is in a month so I expect an open beta pretty soon. I'll probably buy a $20 founders pack.

It's a Diablo style game, with a full marvel license, but incorporates a LOT of MMO things into it, there is no lobby screen, you are in town running around with hundreds of other players, when you go out on missions you see tons of other people running around while your looking for the instanced areas.
David Brevik Is the CEO of the company, hes the guy behind D2, and a bunch of other guys from D2 are in there.
It has incorperated a lot of the cool functions from D3 and PoE.
Partys up to 5.
26 heroes (classes) on launch, while they aren't as extensive as a diablo class they all have there own powers, talent trees and such.
Free To Play, uses basically the same system as LOL you can buy characters and costumes with money but you can find everything (even costumes) in game. Some are only findable not buy able.
Free to play so they will be constantly adding content top keep people playing (heroes, skins, chapters)

The good.

- You can unlock everything, even skins without spending a cent.
- Loot System is great, you get about 70% of the items from for the character you are playing at the time.
- Simple but effective talent trees.
- Unlike D3 there is no lobby system, it's more like WOW where your in a town to get your missions and see hundreds of other players running around, when you go out onto the map to find your objective, this is also open with dozen of super heroes fighting at a time, makes it feel much more alive and have a good reason to be online.
- It's very fun COOP
- ALT system, you can change to any of your characters at any time, share the same inventory and stash.
- Didn't feel any lag.
- World bosses although they are just zergs.

The Bad.
- A few bugs but still incredibly polished for a beta.
- You will be pretty much required to pay to play the hero you WANT, it will be very unlikely that you find who you want in a reasonable amount of time, although I found Captain America in less than an hour. But I think this is fine since it's F2P and they need to make money some how.
- My game crashed and now the launcher is screwed and wont let me start the game again. (being fixed next patch apparently)
- Doesn't have a 1440P option WTF.
- Crafting items need to stack, my shared stash was almost full already of just crafting crap after 1 big session, the crafting itself is cool but just to tedious ATM.
- Very limited settings atm, can assign auto attack to a key like D3.

The Unknown.
- Didn't get to try PvP but at least it's in the game!
- End game content, this will be mitigated by the ALT system being very integrated, I watched a youtube with the lead devs and it looks promising, kind of a hybrid between MMO and ARPG.

Looks like it will be the League of Legends of ARPGS.
Edited by Kegsta#2588 on 4/29/2013 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well I didn't play the game, but did go watch Ironman 3.

Spoiler -- In ironman 3 near the end, Tony told Jarvis to start the clean slate thing, and jarvis blew up all of his suits one by one. Tony did this for pepper, so what will happen in avengers 2? Will he go back to being ironman despite him having his miniaturized arc reactor in his chest took out?
Reply Quote
View profile
This game seems the same to the ARPG genre as Dust 514 does to the FPS genre in that both are smaller budget outside-the-box type games. The potential for both games is SO MUCH more than their AAA competition though.

Lately I find myself watching stream and YT videos when the MH servers aren't up instead of playing D3 at this point...and obviously playing MH as much as possible when they are.

If you're not familiar with the game, I'd strongly suggest checking it out. You can find any of the following D3 regular streamers streaming (on twitch.tv) MH when the servers are up:

-Archonthewizard
-D3_Inigomontoya
-Datmodz

I'm sure there's more I'm not even aware of. I also know the first two have had direct contact with Gazillion (including going to their HQ) and openly support the game.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 5/2/2013 8:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]