Diablo® III

Top WD no life steal?

Hey guys, I see some of these threads today with a bunch of high DPS witch docs. Some have 0 LoH / LS and low life regen and maybe skill runes like sacrifice dogs for life gain or globes. For those that are built this way, how on earth do you survive RD packs and what do you use to keep your life up enough. I can only assume you die a hell of a lot if you don't kill first or hit when the RD shielding is up. I'm curious since I've always taken more to defensive at a DPS cost. I hate to die during runs and have it down to an occasional.
Reply Quote
I've wondered the same thing.

I have to imagine they just die a lot. I've always been in the more defense camp myself, and while it isn't as flashy, as least it's safe.
Reply Quote
Or they just equip a high dps weapon without it before they log off to keep a high dps rank for websites. Alot of people i know do this, not just WD's. They have gear they put on just to push papersheet dps as high as possible, but do not use the same gear in mp10 type enviroments.
Reply Quote
If you have a massive health pool and use Blood Ritual, that can do the job.
Reply Quote
A lot of them use gruesome feast and grave injustice to heal. If your DPS is high enough and you kill quickly enough grave injustice alone actually does a very good job of keeping your HP full. This is only for farming though really. For ubers they will get slaughtered unless they have a LS weapon alternate. A lot them have alternate LS weapons though honestly that they switch to if they come across a nasty RD mob.

I myself like to be geared up for whatever comes my way without having to swap so I geared myself up they way I did with LS and LoH. I can face tank as is with no swapping.
Reply Quote
I think most just swap weapons for RD. I have a BFM (Big *** Mace) just for that...
Reply Quote
My bears build, I use blood ritual also and have a total of 2800 life/s. 3% LS and 330 LoH. Big stinker (gas cloud) and leechers also add to my life regen and can gain pretty high return all combined. Blood Ritual and Vile shoulders even if its a total of 1500/s isn't a lot.

My zero dog I can get away with less regen from items because the skill rune or globes can return so much life it's crazy. I've seen it peak to 140K+ life regen in the info tab depending on number of globes picked up + LS gain.

0 dog: I have a higher DPS build (330K buff) that I will rely on globes and LS or lower DPS build (260K buff) and that will use LS + life return (for the master) + globes. The lower DPS build tanks any RD pack, multiple desecraters, arcanes, plague pools. The killer is pretty much getting frozen or too much elements at one time and attack speed not fast enough to keep up or when monsters hit you all at once.

I can't imagine another build being able to keep constant damage on target without the life steal.
Reply Quote
04/05/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Wachati
I think most just swap weapons for RD. I have a BFM (Big *** Mace) just for that...

That would make sense but can be a pain in the a-- though. Especially when a pack comes out looking normal until you attack and the RD shield goes up. :)
Reply Quote
View profile
04/05/2013 10:07 AMPosted by Shockwave
Hey guys, I see some of these threads today with a bunch of high DPS witch docs. Some have 0 LoH / LS and low life regen and maybe skill runes like sacrifice dogs for life gain or globes. For those that are built this way, how on earth do you survive RD packs and what do you use to keep your life up enough. I can only assume you die a hell of a lot if you don't kill first or hit when the RD shielding is up. I'm curious since I've always taken more to defensive at a DPS cost. I hate to die during runs and have it down to an occasional.

its just for show, guys...they equip for high dps so their rank is high on diabloprogress and newbs can ohhh and ahh at their d3 profiles. Its not practical to run with no LS. It can be done, but its not practical
Edited by fabbyhunter#1917 on 4/5/2013 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/05/2013 11:25 AMPosted by luoqi
maybe they just love to build their char instead of playing it

I have to wonder if this is part of it.

I know I don't get a lot of enjoyment from farming anymore, but finding a new item that's affordable is always fun. :)
Reply Quote
This is a great thread....

These clowns at the top dps food chain will, and do, die alot with the EHP they have.

I have worked very hard to get to the point that I dont need LS...I'm still at the border though.

I built my WD with this quote in mind "How much dps do you do when your dead?"

But it helps that i have Grasp of the dead...death is life rune...those extra globes help.

Other then that....

Rock on and steal some souls ;)
Reply Quote
i have one set of gear & build, no switching, doing fine in 10.

You have LS and +20k globes which help you well for life return. I like your build. I was thinking to move away from my life regen to get more damage and AR on bears setup. Just haven't seen in action from a youtube yet to see if I want to change it so drastically. :)
Reply Quote
@REAPER666: Nice build too! :)

Edit: looking again.. your relying on skill for regen life? Does that not slow you down at times by not having LS on weapon?
Edited by Shockwave#1233 on 4/5/2013 11:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Shockwave

No doubt buddy, I cant just charge into RD packs man, I have to time skills around them, other then that, no issues pal

Thanks for posting this, I personally would love ideas from peeps on how not to use LS in your build.

Thanks
Reply Quote
I switch to a EF LS weapon for RD mobs.

that and a lot of CC, I can farm mp10 with a good amount of success most of the time. There are times when I get careless or a nasty combination elite pack shows up and humbles me.

check my enchantress for her build and gear and see if that kind of thing could help if you solo a lot.
Reply Quote
Cool.. I started to use the scoundrel with a Windforce for knockback on my bears doc. I use the enchantress of 0 dog for attack speed buff. I should probably move her away from MF/GF gear and put something worth while on. :D
Reply Quote
I may be a clown but that's cuz I like to joke around :p

Ranked 17th, and I use an ls weapon 24/7. My aps is still high for my likings, at 1.89, but it's very low compared to the other top 20 WDs.

Top WDs equipping mempos just to stat pack.

It is possible to be ranked high with an ls weapon.

I really commend Raki for tweaking his build that revolves around high aps.
Reply Quote
04/05/2013 11:24 AMPosted by fabbyhunter
its just for show, guys...they equip for high dps so their rank is high on diabloprogress and newbs can ohhh and ahh at their d3 profiles. Its not practical to run with no LS. It can be done, but its not practical

This is patently false. I spend a lot of time running without life steal because I enjoy the challenge more. Up to mp9 I can quite comfortably clear most elite packs without the need for life steal (I rely exclusively on globes). It does become more difficult on mp10. And, of course, life stear or loh is mandatory for reflect packs on higher mps.

You should try running without loh/ls at some point. You may find the game becomes a challenge again ;)
Reply Quote
View profile
im farming with 0 loh, 0 ls, no extra globes, almost no regen, low ehp, no weapon switch.

I hover mouse over elites as soon as I see them so I knw if they are reflect. if they are i run up right next to them and hit sw and drop all my nukes and bear. then I back off and attack any trash that is around untill they stop reflecting then I go in and kill them, usually b the time they reflect again my sw is back up. and they will also have started dropping globes which I can use to keep attacking while they reflect.

I run with only 10pur which lets me save globes for when I need it which lets me blast the elites while they are reflecting. I just have to make sure I dont blindly blast all three at once while they are attacking or I will die before I can move to get the globes they are dropping. I am very aware of how to get elites to drop globes and I am very aware of my positioning. can do it without dieing up to mp8 with no lag.

over all reflect fights take about 50% longer but It is much cheaper to gear like this and every other fight is shorter because more dps. Very good micro and payin full attention to the game is a must!
Edited by ChuckNorris#1885 on 4/5/2013 6:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]