Diablo® III

DRM/Maintenance... Why make us suffer

I understand that companies want to verify that someone is not ripping them off but come the EFF on with this DRM.

The only chance I get to play Diablo is limited (work 12 hour days) and now I can't log on and play. Even Windows does not require you to have an internet connection to start it up.

Could someone explain to me why practically every single video game company has switched to DRM?

Is there anything we can do to petition these companies and let them know that it is beyond ridiculous the way they control our purchases?
Reply Quote
They don't control your purchase. You do that. It's your money. That's why the only way to try and make them change policy is by not buying their products. It's a sad logic, I know. It's also not what you want to hear but it is, unfortunately, the truth. I agree with you, though. It is rather annoying.
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 03:07 AMPosted by Harðráði
Is there anything we can do to petition these companies and let them know that it is beyond ridiculous the way they control our purchases?

Yes, by not purchasing games with online only requirements. Otherwise they will keep doing it.
Reply Quote
as loing as you keep buying they will keep doing., want to prove a point, get everyone to stop buying. nothing else you do will matter.
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 04:43 AMPosted by chrisloup
as loing as you keep buying they will keep doing., want to prove a point, get everyone to stop buying. nothing else you do will matter.

It's not about changing everyone.

If a single individual doesn't want to deal with online requirements, all they have to do is not buy online requiring games, then they no longer have to deal with it. It's not about changing a company, it's about personal choice.
Reply Quote
I am rather interested to know how/if the console release of this game will affect the "Always On" requirement for the PC crowd. After demonstrating the game playing without a constant connection, will the justification still be worries over piracy? I understand it's easier to pirate a PC game than a console game, but at that point it seems a touch draconian. Either way, I paid for it, so I shouldn't complain too much. Idle speculation. Nothing to see here.
Reply Quote
If they can put a man on the moon or make a microprocessor small enough to fit in a grain of rice I'm sure they can come up with a better system than the current DRM. Once you buy it and your key is verified, possibly a monthly check with the server to verify you haven't changed anything or that your key is still valid.

COme on, someone has to see the logic in this? Does anyone agree?
Reply Quote

Could someone explain to me why practically every single video game company has switched to DRM?

They mistakenly believe that every pirated game is a loss of money for them.

I'm all for an offline mode, as long as that character can only be played offline. I don't want another Diablo 1, where people run around with edited characters.
Reply Quote
They mistakenly believe that every pirated game is a loss of money for them.

I'm all for an offline mode, as long as that character can only be played offline. I don't want another Diablo 1, where people run around with edited characters.

Speaking of that, are all Steam games online only? Or must they be pirated to get DLC updates and to play offline? I can't remember. :)

Yes. Steam is the biggest offender. I just believe that it is total garbage that you have to connect to a server just to verify that you legally own the game.

I just feel that you really get screwed when their servers are down (hence, DRM Punishment title).
Reply Quote
Steam has an offline mode. You can play without internet. You can even download your game on steam elsewhere, put it on a external and verify it offline and you are set.
Reply Quote
make them suffer

cancel the wow subscription, dont buy their games, etc
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]