So we all know that MF affects not only the quantity of items dropped but also the quality
What I am wondering is that if the increase in quality outweighs the increase in quantity?
and/or
What specific game mechanic affects gem find?

It definitely isn't stable.

Following the logic that gems are items, or drops, rather than a separate entity entirely; exclusive from ilvl, clvl and mf.

Then it becomes harder and harder to farm gems as your para level increases.
But who knows how the mf mechanic actually works, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the most complicated code in this game. Anyway I've given it alot of thought recently. As a hardcore character i have remade, characters to lvl 60 more frequently than some norms; played more inferno chars w/ less than 50mf.

I acquire around 4 or 5 gems every time i empty my stash when i'm new to inferno running standar a1 Efind fun cemetary, ancients, kw, s high, jailer-butcher. para 10 w/ 100mf after neph, i am acquiring only 2 or 3 a game. The gem drop rate seems consistent, across the first 3 acts. Never tried to touch a4 but i imagine it being the grand mecha of gemology. Figured archives woulda been better, wish it was better, love that place. So i'm here with a request posing as a question. Lot of info though.