Diablo® III

The different DPS and TDPS?

Title said it all
Reply Quote
DPS is the combination of your stats used for your primary attack if you just ran around using that only. For example if I were to run around on my barb only using Bash I would do 190k damage per second. for my attack up time.

tDPS = True DPS

Players quickly realized (well some more quickly than others) that character sheet dps is wildly misleading. DPS is generally a lot less than tDPS. And not only that, sometimes tDPS can be increased while DPS is simultaneously decreased and vice versa.

For figuring out tDPS the "old school" method is just to go to a boss fight with a known HP that generally stands still. This is the old "dps check" or "test dumby" method. Before people did the math to figure out the formula tDPS people would do DPS checks on Azmodan (as he doesn't really move). So you just do the fight an average of 5-10 times, the average was to get rid of any minor variations. Then you would add up the amount of time it took you to kill him. Divide that number by the number of times you did that fight. Then you would divide the HP pool of the boss by the amount of time it took you to kill him on average.

But now for certain specs (like WW) people have done the hard math to figure out how to calculate tDPS so you can check gear before buying.

d3rawr is the site people use for WW barbs.
Edited by Kopav#1629 on 4/2/2013 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
tDPS is only useful for WW/RLTW barbs....otherwise it has no meaning at all.
Reply Quote
so if i want to kill boss faster, I want to upgrade my gear. TDPS I should be looking for or DPS? on D3rawr?
Reply Quote
One has a T in front of it, the other does not.

I win!

but really, T = Tornado barb Dps
Reply Quote
Use tDPS on d3rawr. Just spend like 10 minutes or so playing around with that site. There are a few different things on it including adding active skill buffs, follower buffs, looking at EHP, tDPS vs. non-elites, elites, demons and demon elites. It can show you how much each stat would increase your tDPS or EHP.

It also breaks down the "break points" for tornadoes under the skill damage tab.
Reply Quote
For example I wear a rare ring with Stats like STR, AS, CC, CD, it give me more DPS than the SOJ with 30%. But in TDPS rare ring give me less than the SOJ. So that mean SOJ is the best ring?
Reply Quote
Generally yes.

If you are skipping elites and only fighting white mobs (maybe).
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6864416737?page=1

Here is how tDPS was created.
Reply Quote
Is azmo/ghom the only way to get accurate tDPS for HOTA and SS skills?
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Zoe
For example I wear a rare ring with Stats like STR, AS, CC, CD, it give me more DPS than the SOJ with 30%. But in TDPS rare ring give me less than the SOJ. So that mean SOJ is the best ring?

Yes. The SOJ's increased damage vs elites is more use than the rare ring's (smaller) bonus vs everything. It's the elites that cause you trouble in the game.

If you did have a truly godly rare ring, it might exceed the SOJ's bonus, but even then, a cold SOJ is so useful that I'd still recommend it.

I would stick with the rare ring only if you a) would drop below an attack speed breakpoint, or b) it has some resistances or vitality that you can't do without. But in those cases, I'd try to move the ias and the sustain onto other equipment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]