Diablo® III

Manticore - Jagged Strafe Build

Update -

I have been playing MP8-10 with this build and really enjoy it.

I am using:

Bola Explosive
Caltrops Jagged
SP Gloom
Strafe - Demolition
Companion - Bat
Preparation - Battle Scars

Passive:

Vengeance
Nightstalker
Custom Engineering.

Lots of fun. I like Vengeance over CTW as right now I am leveling my second DH so no cold SOJ and instead HF.

I find volatile explosives returns the most amount of discipline as each hit has larger AOE over ID or other runes. ID is a beast on MP 10. But more discipline allows me to set new traps which do a lot of damage...usually try to keep 5-6 at all times....

In fact stopped playing my lvl 45 monk just to play this build on a new DH....

Try it.

Hi,

I have now switched from my Calamity to my Manticore and am really enjoying this build. I may go back to calamity but I don't see it on the horizon anytime soon.

Jagged Strafe Build - Solo MP6 and coop up to MP 9 / 10.

Bola Shot (have 20% bonus on gear)
Strafe Demo (use cold SOJ and 8% CC bonus on gear)
Caltrop - Jagged Spikes
Shadow Power (gloom - can use night bane also)
Bat Companion
Preparation (Battle Scars)

Custom Engineering (12 second jagged spikes)
Cull the Weak (Cold SOJ + Demo and Caltrops trigger)
Nightstalker - Great Disc regen for Demo.

You can swap Custom Eng for Vengeance if you are playing easier difficulty as this moves more like a strafe build. Custom give you better value for you discipline though.

Action:

Gloom / Strafe into mob. Lay 1 jagged into middle of mob. Then double back as lay the second trap at the front of the mob. Make sure jagged are laid down with gloom active. (you can lay down more or less - demo is decent damage and can take out 3 enemies without the need for caltrops.)

Hold position and bola - with a good damage bonus this is 1 of your 3 damage dealer with Manti. You should not have to gloom as caltrops are picking up life. When you need to gloom then strafe immediately after gloom as your hatred is near full after bola.

Lay down more caltrops as necessary. You will gain both life and discipline with strafe demo so you must keep balancing between strafing and bola shots. When you strafe you are mobile. so try and stay mobile until 80% of hatred is gone as this should give you 80% discipline. Lay traps under gloom while mobile...move to safe location and cannon with bola. The slow will give you the time.

When there are elites, I will burst all my discipline laying caltrops (and trigger prep for refill) while straffing under gloom and will hold positions as long as possible on top of the elites over the catlrops to dish out max bola and maxing life steal under caltrops. Having 6 traps under the elites for 10 seconds is devastating. The slow gives your 5 seconds before they have a chance to dirty the ground with stuff. When they do, strafe away.

If the quarry is melee you can hold right on caltrops to face tank with bola. If ranged, then spread out catlrops and move more.

Overall a very versatile and fun build. Use prep battle for the discipline refill when you see elites. I also like for the life on emergency.

In coop you drop the caltrops where your tankers are and then move out and fire bolas...You should always be able to stay alive with your mobility and constant snare with strafe and caltrops so you will be relevant.

This is my optimum build for gaining XP and DE farming at my level with my gear.

Comments?
Edited by Chappy#1504 on 9/24/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This looks really fun, and I definitely appreciate the clear description of how to use each skill when engaging different enemies. I added to the build Index I'm compiling since I haven't seen many higher MP builds that support Manticore as well as Calamity.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7979319534
Reply Quote
I've been experimenting with a similar build with my HC DH. Personally I'd swap the rune on Bola for stun, or Stun Grenades which I usually run. Being a HC player having a way to break CC is a must, so Smoke goes on my skill bar which is hard to fit in- either gloom or prep have to go. If you can get away without prep put it there. Alternately you could use prep to fuel hatred and ditch the bat, although you're going to need a fair bit of +max disc. I'd also drop Custom Engineering for Vengance, I always have the disc to put traps out AND Gloom or Smoke since I almost always have hatred from health globes.
Reply Quote
Still loving this build. MP6 solo is the sweet spot for me. Can go up to MP8 but most DE / XP comes at MP6.

What I like is if I make a wrong choice in positioning, I can die with elites depending upon the affix.

What has been so much fun is that depending upon the elites - range / melee and the affixes, it really forces me to counter with the right offense / defense.

If reflect, then I need to gloom for every attack - melee it is about traps - ranged it is more about strafe.

It is nice to dirty the ground myself. kind of payback -

This build generates resources, and dishes out decent damage always and you get 15% bonus damage too. Although Spike traps can deal more, it is truly the slow plodding play with stationary attacks. Kind of plays like a WD.

The Jagged Strafe build is swift deadly and helpful to your party...give it a try. And btw if we ever get a buff I am sure this build with benefit due to the versatility.
Reply Quote
Hi,

Jagged Strafe Build - Solo MP6 and coop up to MP 9 / 10.

Bola Shot (have 20% bonus on gear)
Strafe Demo (use cold SOJ and 8% CC bonus on gear)
Caltrop - Jagged Spikes
Shadow Power (gloom - can use night bane also)
Bat Companion

Custom Engineering (12 second jagged spikes)
Cull the Weak (Cold SOJ + Demo and Caltrops trigger)
Nightstalker - Great Disc regen for Demo.

Comments?

Hey, i've been playing a very similar build in HC for past few weeks, heres the build:

Stun Bola
Demolition (use Cold strafe SOJ and 7% strafe on Embrace >Cold SoJ is AWESOME for demolition)
Caltrop - Jagged Spikes
Smoke screen (due to HC)
Vault - Trail of Cinder (for getting away and extra damages)

Archery
Perfectionist (due to HC)
Nightstalker

How it works:
instead of manticore, im dual wielding Danettas'. i know a lot of people would say atk spd is not good for channelling skills, but imo, with this build, DW is actually great. i'll explain why:

1. with higher atk spd, strafe do the same damage but merely do it faster. i.e it depletes your hatred faster yes, but you get to dish out the same damage faster, which is good for this build.

2. i have base cc approx. 50% + soj 7% + Embrace 8% = 65% cc demolition. i think this is the key. with this and fast Demolition, you will get A LOT of disc. via Night Stalker. Now, D.Spite also gives max disc., with full Nat set, i have 69 disc, plus refill from Prep, you can spam jagged spike and smokescreen all day and still have disc. but it takes some practice.

3. my playstyle is mid-close range, its pretty crazy at first dual wielding in HC and play tank. You need to balance your disc and hatred spending. With high atk spd, Bola - Thunderball will stun a lot, which is good.

i.e 1 tactics: fire off bolas into the mobs and strafe into them, while strafing, drop caltropsss on them. if bola stuns, the mobs will be sitting on 3-5 stacks of JS. Repeat cycle.

Its 3 dps sources working at the same time. faster bola shots will also refill your hatred faster for more strafing. with this build, i can't strafe a lot, but i deal the same damage even if i can strafe longer, and i have more time to shoot Bolas to stun shlt sitting on top of JSs. I also usually strafe into mobs, which means all the grenades from demolition will hits FAST. the denser the pack, the more aoe i gets, the faster nightstalker refills.

I have only 80k dps, and i faceroll mp3 without dying even once with this build (obviously im still alive as of this posts .. lol) .. sometimes, i will switch to cookie cutter build (bola/EB) and i cant really feel much difference in kill speed. seriously!!

now, because i play in HC, otherwise, i would SO swap Perfectionist for Cull the Weak, and replace the Life Steal in mainhand for socket->crit damage. When u dual wield, the bonus from Archery combined with strafe bonus from gears, demolition becomes VERY lethal PLUS endless Disc. Because im a poor dude, and gears are limited and very explensive in hc. I cant imagine how lethal this build would be if i can get my hands on 2 rare handxbow with cd, soc, LS ! (bearing in mind Archery plus Strafe gear bonus and the addnl cd you can get) the Edps should be bumped up significantly.

Edit:
just thought i should edit this in for hc guys: this build is fun and effcient, but very dangerous. my hp falls below 50% quite often.
Edited by CLOUD#6403 on 6/10/2013 12:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I messed awith jagged spikes and sharp shooter once. I placed all 6 caltroops in the same spot and just lured the enemies in. With a manticore and 2 90% emeralds I had like 600% crit damage and 400kdps, most stuff just died on the spot.

Didn't encounter any fast or teleporting elites though. Probably wouldn't work on those.

There's probably a way to work it into a group play but I didn't really give it much thought.
Reply Quote
View profile
I used a build similar to this back in September/October in HC. I made a write up about it and 2 other builds on the HC forums a few months ago. I was also dual wielding at the time. The thread is probably long buried.

The way I had the build designed, was that even vs Demonic Tremors you don't get touched at all, even in close range. I was using Hooked Spines or Torturous Ground for the most part, I also had Sentries.

I(I mean Renges) eventually met demise at the time, because I switched to Jagged Spikes with no life steal weap out of arrogance, and, back then Sentries also reflected damage. A champ pack blasted through a doorway right after I just finished off a pack, and reflected all the damage back from my traps and my health drained down, since you can't "dismiss" the devices.

With Jagged Spikes life steal is a MUST on weapon or you run the risk of killing yourself. At the time that was the only weakness of the build was that you could kill yourself. Now days, Sentries don't reflect damage back, but I've been long since bored of that build I once ran.

I miss that guy man, Renges was a true G trailblazing.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 6/10/2013 12:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/10/2013 12:48 AMPosted by ActionKungfu
I(I mean Renges) eventually met demise at the time, because I switched to Jagged Spikes with no life steal weap out of arrogance, and, back then Sentries also reflected damage. A champ pack blasted through a doorway right after I just finished off a pack, and reflected all the damage back from my traps and my health drained down, since you can't "dismiss" the devices.

yea. . this the shltty part abt hc. i had to sacrifice so much Demolition dps for LS. at 1 point i really felt like dropping the LS for cd, and swap ss for shadow power. but dont have the guts to do it. lol .. i figured its something ActionKungfu will do though .. . haahaa.

hope to see you in game sometime soon ^_^
Reply Quote
06/10/2013 12:48 AMPosted by ActionKungfu
I miss that guy man, Renges was a true G trailblazing.

1 qns, is Renges on Archery or ShSh?
Reply Quote
View profile
He wasn't using either one. I put him on Custom Engineering, Nightstalker, and Steady Aim(for sentries) back then. Earlier on, I was switching between both Archery and ShSh depending on how low my crit chance was at the time, but back then 30% was all I needed to keep everything afloat with 2 aps.

The skeleton was something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#.SYkgX!UX!.c...a

The reason for Displacement Smoke was to get the burst of speed to squeeze through the mobs while Strafing so you don't get blasted with DoTs. Tactical Advantage would provide that and more ESPECIALLY combined with Displacement, but if you use TA you can put in Breath Deep just for the extra push. Any Shadow Power rune would do, because they all provided something, but it isn't necessary(although it was at the time due to sentry reflects).

I was obsessed with tweaking the build, and then got extremely arrogant because I was beating elites without even getting hit(not kidding). So I switched some things aground. Arrogance and complacency can be a #1 killer after lagouts and DCs. I was able to play in content people were afraid to, with horrible EHP(but I was a thrill seeking moron after I had already long completed inferno). The build killed itself, the elites didn't. When I died it was from the reflected damage.

But in any case I was fortunate to never run into a screwed up waller combination at the time. You'd want to run Spit Fire or something like that for wallers.

If you get box walled in, you're done... unless you got the life steal Jagged Spikes.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 6/10/2013 2:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I recently regeared and dropped the manti for a windy. I was trying out a few new builds trying to get away from strafe, gloom, smoke screen, prep, %CC/CD on gear and still have good damage. I was fairly successful, but was really playing dangerous in high MP testing the limits of my LS and damage.

In the end, I came back to strafe. But I was able to drop Prep/Battle Scars for Caltrops JS. Finally, I sure did miss my spikes. Now I am not running this as a permastrafe build- I ditched the bat for the boar so I could swap out Perfectionist for Archery- which with a bow and JS is just nasty.

I have to say I like it. The much increased attack speed along with no bat limits the time I can strafe, but also does wonders for my hatred generator. Hungering Arrow/Spray of teeth is devastating. Cluster Grenades are just....wow. And the Stuns from Bola...infinite. And not to mention Choking Gas- it does double the DPS of JS.

Yea Like Action says....life steal Spikes....
Reply Quote
View profile
I could try to modify it and use sharpshooter. 800k dps w/ ss and SoJ :P
Reply Quote
View profile
06/10/2013 06:16 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
I could try to modify it and use sharpshooter. 800k dps w/ ss and SoJ :P

=O
Reply Quote
View profile
Can someone help confirm,

Jagged Spikes DOES NOT proc Cull the Weak bonus unless the mobs are "snared" before hand. So the damage on your Jagged Spikes will be the same as normal. The skill itself can active CtW for other attacks but it will not gain the bonus if it is the first to "snared".

For your build I recommend Torturous Ground or Carved Stakes
Reply Quote
I just tried and feel it as an interesting build. Thank your for sharing.

But the efficiency may be not as good as spike trap or rapid fire based builds in MP10.
I would try it in a team game.
Reply Quote
@Rav1n
I recently regeared and dropped the manti for a windy. I was trying out a few new builds trying to get away from strafe, gloom, smoke screen, prep, %CC/CD on gear and still have good damage. I was fairly successful, but was really playing dangerous in high MP testing the limits of my LS and damage.

In the end, I came back to strafe. But I was able to drop Prep/Battle Scars for Caltrops JS. Finally, I sure did miss my spikes. Now I am not running this as a permastrafe build- I ditched the bat for the boar so I could swap out Perfectionist for Archery- which with a bow and JS is just nasty.

I have to say I like it. The much increased attack speed along with no bat limits the time I can strafe, but also does wonders for my hatred generator. Hungering Arrow/Spray of teeth is devastating. Cluster Grenades are just....wow. And the Stuns from Bola...infinite. And not to mention Choking Gas- it does double the DPS of JS.

Yea Like Action says....life steal Spikes....

Epic gloves spotted!!!

Anyways, you have my respect: 30 disc. and swapped Prep for Caltrops. Definitely makes me feel so ashame of myself. .. gotta reflect quite a bit how i play. lol . .

Very nice to see alternative specs built around same skills but played very differently! Imho, its a great move to move away from slow-strafe in your lvl of gears man .. they're so sick. . .

Cant say this enough, STAY SAFE man!!
Edited by CLOUD#6403 on 6/10/2013 7:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I just tried and feel it as an interesting build. Thank your for sharing.

But the efficiency may be not as good as spike trap or rapid fire based builds in MP10.
I would try it in a team game.

The best part is there is so many viable and efficient playstyle/variations with this Jagged Strafe Build. Chappy uses xbow, ActionKungfu uses handxbow, and Rav1n uses bow. And the fact that they are all spotting high Paragon in HC, pushing the limits in high mp is really something.
Reply Quote
View profile

Jagged Spikes DOES NOT proc Cull the Weak bonus unless the mobs are "snared" before hand. So the damage on your Jagged Spikes will be the same as normal. The skill itself can active CtW for other attacks but it will not gain the bonus if it is the first to "snared".

That wouldn't make sense, as attacks with cold SoJ apply Cull on hit.
Reply Quote
View profile

That wouldn't make sense, as attacks with cold SoJ apply Cull on hit.

what you mean, it makes no sense?

JS = physical, no cold damage from soj, the damage will not be "buffed" unless the mobs are hit with demo grenades first, the slow percentage is too low for inferno, that if you can root them to the ground, the higher chance your next attack will hit and deal more damage with CtW bonus. IF the the spikes active before those hits then no buff, the first load of grenades got no buff, so to increase the chance of getting the most of this set up, I'm suggesting an increase in chance of slow instead of having JS as a damage dealer make it a support skill.
Reply Quote
View profile
No this was based on the notion that an attack operating with a snare whether that's through cold damage or not, gets the Cull increase on the first blow/tick.

I should've just quoted that part, because that's what I was referring to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]