Diablo® III

Shock Hunter Build, Keeps 2 Video!!

I edited this OP a bit to organize this better than before with more clarification

Disclaimer: This build does not work well with 2h xbow's, such as the manticore. Videos posted are for fun and to see how this build can be executed. These are not meant for comparisons or test. When I'm more familiar with recording and learning how to down this incredibly high ping from doing so, I will do analysis vids and the like for serious inquirers.

After looking through the forums, there are several write ups on "tank" builds and the like, but not much of anything on range builds. I've been asked several times how my range build works and decided I'd make a thread pertaining to this very thing with a complete breakdown of the basics. If you are a DH who's looking for something different, or an effective range build that doesn't require multi billions in gold, or you simply want an opportunity to increase your EDPS, then I have something for you! I call it "Shock Hunter" I normally play mp8 through mp10, so this was created to tackle the higher mp levels by nature.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bPgVhk!Yce!ZccYZa

This is just one of the specs I use for my Shock Hunter build, but below I'm going to go into the basics of what's necessary for the foundation of this build.

1. Entangling shot, shock collar. This skill is the backbone of this build and the one I will talk most about. It is a highly underrated hatred regenerator that deals a lot more damage than most people think. What most people aren't aware of is that not only does the initial damage crit, but the shock damage can also crit independently. Once the first tick of the shock damage crits, the remaining 3 ticks retain that crit damage. Example numbers from me. My intial crit damage from entangling shot averages around 348k. When shock crits, it does 65k per tick. If both crits, I just did 608k from one shot. Obviously these numbers are pretty high for a calamity user and the skill's low base damage, but that comes from how the build works and building around this very skill.

Now that we got that shock collar can deal some real damage, lets talk about utility. Shock collar has a 160% proc rate, higher than 90% of the DH runes available. For Windforce users, you can proc knockback like crazy. For Calamity users, even with a really low MoD chance (such as mine), you will proc very often.

Happen to have LoH on your gear? Shock collar is great for that, such as those dual wielding danetta sets. Want a great way to run cull the weak? Shock collar gives you perma cull, allowing not only shock collar to deal more damage, but also all skills to deal 15% more damage 100% of the time! Have issues keeping mobs away from you? No problem! Shock collar also slows enemies, allowing efficient stepping to happen. This means you don't need to slot such things as caltrops to waste precious discipline! Want to run steady aim in your build as well? No problem because of the above mentioned. Don't care for steady aim, but want to proc nightstalker more? No problem! Since shock collar has the chance to crit twice per shot, it proc's nightstalker more than most skills out there!
Shock collar is such a great overall skill, that whether or not you decide to build around it, it is extremely useful for any DH that wants to play ranged and squeeze out a little more dps.

2. Turrets, Spitfire. Who doesn't love free damage? Depending on your setup, turrets will add a ton of EDPS. Since I have a Calamity with a ruby, the high weapon damage and attack speed allows for these things to deal incredible amounts of damage. Turrets also benefit from your buffs, such as cull the weak and steady aim, as well as Mark of Death on the target.

What's really cool is when I switch rings when I face an E. I use Stone of Jordan when I see an E, and the flat xx% damage against E's is insane for turrets because they never really benefited from your multi crit rare ring that was in place before, so the damage boost it gets on top of everything else makes this thing insanely strong. This thing is almost soley responsible for considerably lowering my MP 10 E kill average. I cannot imagine not slotting this thing.

Passives: Cull the Weak, Archery, Steady Aim.

This yields the absolute most EDPS possible for this particular build. These passives actually work extremely well together in yielding you more damage output from every skill. I also slot a Entangling shot quiver for extra damage (they are very cheap because hey, who uses entangling shot?) as the extra damage is taken from the quiver AFTER steady Aim and Cull the Weak is applied, meaning your entangling shot damage is increased by x% on top of your current passive buffs, making this pack a punch.

If you want to play a little more defensively, you can slot night stalker over steady aim as Shock Collar proc's night stalker extremely well.

This is the foundation of the Shock Hunter build. The defensive choices here are completely up to the user, as well as the hatred spenders. As long as you don't break the foundation (Shock Collar, Turrets, + all 3 damage passives for high EDPS out put), you can possibly gain considerable EDPS and a ton of utility at the same time.

I often run different variations of Shock Hunter, but I keep my defensive skills the same, such as shadow power, glide, and preparation, focused mind, as these 2 are extremely comfortable for me for defense. Here are some of my variations of Shock Hunter.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bWgVjk!Yce!ZccYYa

Stacking 4 types of attacks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bWgVPk!Yce!ZccYca

Just traded out Bat from first variation to Bola ID.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bQgVlk!Yce!ZccYaa

Attempting to load up on "consistent" damage while remaining hatred efficient. A personal favorite of mine.

So as you can see, its very easy to be creative and build off of Shock Hunter to fit your demon slaying needs!

Edit: Finally got around to learning how to record some, so here you go! Very first time recording any video ever btw, so cut me some slack lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoTOnu9JGU&feature=youtu.be

This is solo MP 10 SK and Magda Ubers. I purposely did not change out my build to accommodate this uber fight and played it exactly like I would if I was regularly farming high MP. This of course means a ton of minions on the screen, but this made it all the more challenging, being a Glass Cannon. I stopped the Vid after I killed SK, seeing how it stops becoming a challenge once he's dead and didn't want to start boring the viewers.

Some more random footage while Uber video was uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMKcURi_JPw: Waller/arcane/horde (and something else) pack in tight area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeRkOzn80c4: Reflect/teleport/mortar/nightmare.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9dV-DEKvo8: Random whites into a Soul Lasher pack.

I didn't know that there's a bit of lag when recording, which was a huge headache during ubers (stepping with accuracy is NOT easy with any delay/lag). I also did not know my ping would shoot up like crazy when I'm trying to record the next 3 while uploading the first ><, so I struggled a bit more than I normally would during SK and the 3 vids after.

Thanks for watching!

Edit: *New* Keeps 2 run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoW2WjZW7J4&feature=youtu.be
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 5/29/2013 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like it, bravo! Best part, had no idea shock collar functioned that way, actually makes me look at that particular skill/rune in a different light.
Reply Quote
i can see this being effective, and its not mundane like all the other builds out there.

one suggestion i would have is to use mfd-mortal enemy over bat companion. Both will give you hatred, but one will also add dmg at the cost of you having to use it during battle as opposed to a passive like bat.
Reply Quote
i can see this being effective, and its not mundane like all the other builds out there.

one suggestion i would have is to use mfd-mortal enemy over bat companion. Both will give you hatred, but one will also add dmg at the cost of you having to use it during battle as opposed to a passive like bat.

I thought of this before, but decided against it due to disc restrictions. However, since I recently decided to add prep over vault, I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
Reply Quote
nah, i play all day and this build will hurts my hand too much :)). But i'll try it sometimes for the sake of my fun.
Reply Quote
Nice thread Bro, can it work with Mantico. My calamity is not so godly. I will give it a try.
Reply Quote
04/06/2013 04:42 PMPosted by ZzSikkzZ
nah, i play all day and this build will hurts my hand too much :)).

right, thats my beef with turrets. in theory i like them, the whole set it and forget it dmg.
but in practice, i end up worrying/checking/overcasting turtrets way too much....maybe i'm ocd, but for a set-forget type skill they occupy way too much of my brain process mid-fight.
Reply Quote
04/06/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Cameo
Nice thread Bro, can it work with Mantico. My calamity is not so godly. I will give it a try.

Thanks! Never tried it with a manticore, but I don't imagine it not working with it. It may be a little harder to slot steady aim though due to the slower attack speed so staying ranged might be a bit harder, but if you slot glide this may not be an issue. Let me know what you think!
Reply Quote
i wouldnt use turrets with a 2hnd wpn.
Reply Quote
04/06/2013 04:47 PMPosted by DiEoxidE

Thanks! Never tried it with a manticore, but I don't imagine it not working with it. It may be a little harder to slot steady aim though due to the slower attack speed so staying ranged might be a bit harder, but if you slot glide this may not be an issue. Let me know what you think!

Nice build overall. I tested both and I would say it does not work with Manti. When I switched to Calamity, the EDPS is definitely much better. My AS for both are 2.05 and 2.96.
The only other problem is when I m battling elite with Voltex illusionist. I kind of got stuck in the middle of the pack most of the time and without Vault, I ended up been a tanker again. LOL.

Yup, this build is nice/effective and recommended for Calamity users. Not sure about Windforce.
Thank you for the thread bro.
Reply Quote
View profile
I like it, but I have a suggestion.

With enough crit, why not drop Cull the Weak for Nighstalker, and switch Focused Mind for Punishment?

Get Discipline on quiver, cloak, and use of SoJ. This ensures that everytime Spitefire is off cooldown you can drop one, and offload as many LfBs as possible at range following with Shock Collar crits.
Reply Quote
all lies dont listen to em LOL :P JK, yea its a great build shock collar is under-rated thats for sure. I use something similar myself but prefer scatter over LFB due to my %bonuses and i use covering fire since it procs my cold SOJ and is great for getting out of sticky situations since im a legacy nats user.

The shockcollar slow + cold snare = SUPER slow its pretty amazing in combo and makes for easy scatter spike traps :]

as for turrets i just swap those out for whatever i want but its usually spitefire turrets for the slow proc on the normal shots it shoots from my cold SOJ or i use stampede rain of vengeance.
Reply Quote
04/06/2013 05:16 PMPosted by Cameo

Nice build overall. I tested both and I would say it does not work with Manti. When I switched to Calamity, the EDPS is definitely much better. My AS for both are 2.05 and 2.96.
The only other problem is when I m battling elite with Voltex illusionist. I kind of got stuck in the middle of the pack most of the time and without Vault, I ended up been a tanker again. LOL.

Yup, this build is nice/effective and recommended for Calamity users. Not sure about Windforce.
Thank you for the thread bro.

Ya I haven't ran into any vortex/illusionist packs since I dropped vault. Any pack i did run into that had vortex, I was usually able to get out quick enough before getting one shotted with Glide. The way I fight vortex is to try and stay out of the casting range of the affix and I almost can "eye it" to whether or not im in the "danger zone"

Thanks for the feedback :)

With enough crit, why not drop Cull the Weak for Nighstalker, and switch Focused Mind for Punishment?

Get Discipline on quiver, cloak, and use of SoJ. This ensures that everytime Spitefire is off cooldown you can drop one, and offload as many LfBs as possible at range following with Shock Collar crits.

This is really gutsy, but I'll try it! :D Hope I'm able to pull this off and beat the effectiveness of the constant extra 15%+high dex DML (can't get high dex and disc on DML unfortunately) as this sounds really interesting.
Reply Quote
You ever test it with Manticore? Took me like a day to clear MP10 CotA :(

The elite wasn't actually that bad once i got him by himself, but clearing trash mobs was ridiculously slow. I only have 286k DPS with legacy though.
Reply Quote
View profile

This is really gutsy, but I'll try it! :D Hope I'm able to pull this off and beat the effectiveness of the constant extra 15%+high dex DML (can't get high dex and disc on DML unfortunately) as this sounds really interesting.

It's very gutsy.
Reply Quote
Count on me to keep that thread up :) nice work travis!
Reply Quote
You ever test it with Manticore? Took me like a day to clear MP10 CotA :(

The elite wasn't actually that bad once i got him by himself, but clearing trash mobs was ridiculously slow. I only have 286k DPS with legacy though.

I've only done this with calamity, danetta's set (back when they buffed legendaries) and a WF. It works really well with the above. I've never tried it with a manticore, but from Cameo's feedback, he says it doesn't work so I trust his judgement.

Also, CotA runs are specialized runs, so I spec my Shock Hunter build a little different because of the nature of the area. I slot spike traps, scatter instead of LFB, and I do Rain of Vengence instead of bat. With these adjustments, I'm able to do mp 10 CotA pretty efficiently, though there are still better builds specifically designed to clear CotA faster, while my build is for general purposes.

I'll definitely update the OP and state it does not work well for 2h xbow users.
Reply Quote
View profile
To add about Prep Punishment, thinking about, I'm not sure if it would work well with your build. Unless... you switched something in with Spike Traps like taking the Bat out for Spike Traps.

Load the screen up with attacks that stay out: Basically both Spike Traps and Sentry.

Then dump the rest of your hatred with Cluster Arrow.

Pop Punishment, then unload with your other spenders as they approach you they get blown up by the traps, proc'ing Nightstalker while you fire off your primary, then you'll have hatred again to place down more spike traps and do it again. It's essentially like using the most eDPS while having to move around, by compensating with dumping hatred onto options that deal damage with you.

As DHs, we really don't have many things that stay out for awhile, but those are the obvious two notables, along with Jagged Spikes(but that don't proc).
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 4/6/2013 10:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
To add about Prep Punishment, thinking about, I'm not sure if it would work well with your build. Unless... you switched something in with Spike Traps like taking the Bat out for Spike Traps.

Load the screen up with attacks that stay out: Basically both Spike Traps and Sentry.

Then dump the rest of your hatred with Cluster Arrow.

Pop Punishment, then unload with your other spenders as they approach you they get blown up by the traps, proc'ing Nightstalker while you fire off your primary, then you'll have hatred again to place down more spike traps and do it again. It's essentially like using the most eDPS while having to move around, by compensating with dumping hatred onto options that deal damage with you.

As DHs, we really don't have many things that stay out for awhile, but those are the obvious two notables, along with Jagged Spikes(but that don't proc).

I'm going to work on this for a while, as this is not something I can try out for like 30 minutes and come to a conclusion considering the vast difference in game play. Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply Quote
Solid build. I will give it try. Thanks!

But...

04/06/2013 04:17 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
Edit: This build does not work well with 2h xbow's, such as the manticore.

LOL you could have said that earlier. I actually went through your entire OP before noticing this. I have a windforce lying around somewhere...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]