Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Yesterday i tried out a CM wiz for the first time and found it amazing! I slapped 5 or 6 mil worth of gear onto my sorc, which i realize is a laughable amount, but it was enough to hit the 2.73AS breakpoint and get close to 50% crit - enough for a test drive.
With 50k DPS i rampaged through MP0, practiced some on MP3 and eventually decided to go for the cake - MP10. So there i am, walking down the Road to Alcarnus, with the HP/Damage mitigation of a wet noodle and the DPS of an Act 1 skeleton looking for an elite pack. As soon as i found one: Diamond Skin -> Teleport into the middle of the pack yelling "BOOM Bishes!!" followed by furiously mashing 1, 2 and 3 while channeling WW. I didn't expect it to work. But it did. Like 2-3 minutes they were all dead. And i was hooked.
Story aside, i am now looking to seriously invest into this CM Wiz phenomenon and i need your help regarding some specific gearing questions i have. I read through most of the guides and they were all extraordinarily helpful - amazing work guys.
There's just a few details i couldn't sort out so here it goes:
1. Which would be better overall in terms of DPS - 12xx Chantodo's with AS or 11XX with a socket for an emerald? AS on Chantodo's would also let me get better bracers than Lacuni's and still maintain the 2.73AS breakpoint. Either that or Zuni chest.
2. What's the actual damage output of a 200-250k DPS wiz and about how far off is it from a barb or monk with similar gear?So far i mostly played DH and Barb where it's pretty easy to get into the 500% range with Crit Damage. I just don't see this happening on wiz. I love being in total control, but not at the cost of being a damage gimp.
3. Is Blackthorn's Duncraig Cross worth it if i get one with CC and 140+ Int (+ the extra 100 Vit set bonus assuming Blackthorne's pants) or am i better off with a rare amulet?
4. A mod sticky in this forum is saying something about an unintended bug that causes double AP ticks per Crit. The guides i read suggest getting 18-20AP on gear. Is 18-20AP enough or are we getting boned in the near future?
5. Is it even necessary to hit the 2.73 breakpoint or can you "permafreeze" with the 2.5 one as well? Asking cuz 2.5 really opens up several gearing options like double Zuni along with double Nat's.
6. Just how much LoH do you really need if you permafreeze anyway? From the test i conducted yesterday on MP10 i could've had 10 LoH and still would've healed up as long as i survived the initial crash landing with teleport because mobs were unable to really do anything at all. Could i go as far as switching Blackthorne pants for some rare pants or Depth Diggers?
Guys, i appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks in advance.
Edited by Clavicus#2306 on 4/12/2013 10:40 AM PDT
I was concerned at first, but i believe it's going to be ok. I hope my 10 years of actively playing an electric guitar, and a couple of years worth of piano lessons prior to that, have prepared me for the hardships of pressing 3 buttons on a keyboard.
I appreciate your advice, but can you offer any on the questions at hand? Thanks.
1) In the end, it depends on budget and playstyle. A CD or OS wand will give you more DPS in the end but is more difficult (read: expensive) to gear. If you wand to freeze well (ubers especially) you'll want to run at 2.73, which generally means a trifecta ammy and lacunis. With an IAS wand (mine's just over 1200) you can use 2 more rare items (for me its crafted bracers and an ammy). You can go for more DPS if you sacrifice some EHP, you'll just be more glassy, ahve to reposition more and micro situations better. I prefer to teleport into the middle of a pack and check later what the affixes are. I have alot of mitigation so I don't die often.
2) If you have a well geared (defensively) SNS wiz the damage multiplier is about 8x on single targets, and higher than that on groups. I believe though that you'll still be (well) behind a good Barb. Not fixing that, Jay Wilson. But there are a few party buffs you can use to make the barb do even more damage,...and freeze the enemies down...which makes farming easier for all. But 200K on MP10 is pretty entry level for effectively farming.
3) I find that BT cross is almost never worth it. If you do a storm Crow and BT Pants setup (typical) then you already have 800 loH, and you wouldn't need more from the cross. if you do a BT pants/Mempo/APOC Force setup then that will also be 800 loH, but your Cross will need CD (as well as IAS and CC) to contribute to DPS. And tricrosses are expensive. More so than similar rare versions. Or get LoH on a ring, and concentrate DPS on your Ammy.
4) This has been fixed. 18-20 APOC is recommended for the build.
5) even the best of the best run with 800 LoH. You'll never permafreeze enemies such that they don't get *any* attacks off. And if they drop a desecrator pool, (and you have no LoH) then youll have to move around, probably miss casting some WW's, then you'll be short on APOC, then an enemy will get free, cast more of a mess....then you're hosed. And electrify will always be on. Better to have the mitigation (first!) and LoH to stand in some muck and take the pain....in order to keep then locked down and continually DPS'ing. As soon as you have to kite, you lose it all, and have to "wideup" again - and that takes time.
-- also, if you're just farming mainly (and not doing Ubers) then alot of people find that 2.5 breakpoint is a nice place to be. You need less IAS on gear and you can reach higher DPS's easier. The freeze isn't as great (but still good enough)....so you might need a little more mitigation....and the LoH isn't as good...so you might need 900 to 1000....but its also something to consider.
BTW, what's your proposed budget for your wiz?
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 4/12/2013 11:17 AM PDT
Thanks for the answers Pie, much appreciated.
As far as budget goes, i was planning to invest about 700-900 mil at first - a quickie gearset to see how the wiz will pan out. If it's as good as i think it can be, i'll probably drop around 4-6b into the wiz depending on what kind of deals i can get over the course of a few weeks/months (and pray Blizz doesn't somehow mess the gear/build up in the next patch).
Edited by Clavicus#2306 on 4/12/2013 11:40 AM PDT
That's a pretty damned nice wiz. For instance, I'm in the 500-1B range. Working my way up for the last year. I've sacrificed a decent amount of DPS to stay really tanky....I like it that way.
If you're going to drop more of into a wiz you can certainly try it on your own, watch some of the top guys on the forums, or check with Boozor. He's awesome with helping people with gear sets....and building them as well.
Just don't be the guy that makes a post like "I just spend 4B on my wiz! How'd I do?" and his set is a warm pile of doggie do do. There was one like that just a month ago maybe. So sad, really. Its tough to gear...and you're doing the right thing by asking first, buying later.
But i'd check with Boozor...I wouldn't want you to make a mistake with that much gold. He has a guide you can contact him it
and here's my guide as well....but it doesn't go into the nuances of a 1B wiz....lol. You can always ask questions there...and i'll try to help.
You could also throw up a post, "Want help to make a 4B wiz"....there are quite a few guys who are qualified to help. (you can check them out with me, if you like).
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 4/12/2013 12:00 PM PDT
I'm also right at the 500 mil range now, not counting the crafted items and gems of course. Almost all of my gear has been upgraded within the last month or so, meaning my gear is somewhat currently priced. I went the dps route with just enough EHP to survive reasonably well.
I also run at the 2.5 APS breakpoint in case you wanted another profile for comparison. I don't run Ubers though, and I recommend having an option of 2.73 for ubers, which can be done with 53 or 54% IAS on gear and just swapping from an OS to IAS chanto (1.79 or 1.78 APS respectively).
Posted by PieHole
Yeah, yeah. Fine. Thanks for calling me on that Comrade. Jerk. Lol.
I guess after the better part of a year, I guess I've finally emerged from the "budget build" shadow these last few weeks, and now have a few "close to" gg pieces of gear - gloves, source, and wand (which is on loan, an upgrade from my 1150 DPS version, forgot to take that into account).
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.