Diablo® III

Magic Find

Does magic find really have an impact on game play and drops?

I have max out many times on mf to get nothing good to drop. Yet when im almost to 300, i get semi good drops.

What impacts does magic find really have on game play? Do people see a big difference in what they getting in terms of drops being better?
Reply Quote
Increasing 0.00001 by 300% still isn't a very good chance.

But it is still 3 times more. Over a very very long time you will see a difference.
Edited by Murderin#1918 on 4/9/2013 4:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Magic find will give you MORE drops. But there is no guarantee that the drop you get will be BETTER. To consider that most drops are crap, with mf you will just be picking up more crap.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
How magic find works is a question we see on the forums from time to time. It’s not the most intuitive stat, but there are some places to find out more information about it that I’ll link below. To answer your question, though, Magic Find increases the chance that an item will be magical (i.e. legendary, 6-affix, 5-affix, 4-affix, etc.) when it drops, but it does not affect drop rates in any way or item stat ranges (i.e. when an item roll determines it will have 100 – 130 strength, Magic Find does not help increase the amount of Strength).

You can find more information about Magic Find in our game guide, and DiabloWiki has a great section on it too.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 04:38 AMPosted by darkvoid
Does magic find really have an impact on game play and drops?

Blue says no
Reply Quote
How magic find works is a question we see on the forums from time to time. It’s not the most intuitive stat, but there are some places to find out more information about it that I’ll link below. To answer your question, though, Magic Find increases the chance that an item will be magical (i.e. legendary, 6-affix, 5-affix, 4-affix, etc.) when it drops, but it does not affect drop rates in any way or item stat ranges (i.e. when an item roll determines it will have 100 – 130 strength, Magic Find does not help increase the amount of Strength).

You can find more information about Magic Find in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment#magic-find"]game guide[/url], and DiabloWiki has a great [url="http://www.diablowiki.net/Magic_find"]section [/url]on it too.

So you are saying MF = quality? I find this really hard to believe. I got a paragon 100 wiz and do mp from 6-9 and from my experience the quality has been consistently horrible
Reply Quote

You can find more information about Magic Find in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment#magic-find"]game guide[/url], and DiabloWiki has a great [url="http://www.diablowiki.net/Magic_find"]section [/url]on it too.

So you are saying MF = quality? I find this really hard to believe. I got a paragon 100 wiz and do mp from 6-9 and from my experience the quality has been consistently horrible

Did you even read it? I mean, really?
Reply Quote

MF affects the chance of getting a legendary, and (assuming you didn't get one) it then increases the likelihood if getting a higher number of affixes on an item.

end of story.
Reply Quote
MF affects affixes nothing else so having no MF or having capped MF will still have a chance of getting that perfect piece of gear if you played X amount of hour's with out magic find and then played the same X amount of hours doing the same thing you would notice that more rare items drop. The problem is people confuse quality of a item to the quality of what they roll, but at the end of the day it is still better to have higher MF because you have a higher chance to get a higher quality item that may roll good (quality) stats
Reply Quote
Even tho i dont "really" believed how MF works, i felt it.
I felt it when i created a new level 60 character who's little MF are just in his equips, barely getting a legendary per run, unlike with my characters who reached the CAP and played at higher MPs who regularly get at least 1 leg per run, and up to 4~5 max.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 04:40 AMPosted by Murderin

^ this
Reply Quote
Posted by Murderin

^ this

also just because you got a legendary/set does not me it gonna be any good either cause MF does not affect the stats :/
Reply Quote
MF % does increase the chance for legendaries to drop, it is especially noticeable if you mass farm with a 100 paragon character compared to a no paragon or very low paragon character. The 300% extra mf u get from 100 paragon makes a pretty big difference on legs/hour.
Reply Quote

MF is alot crappier than I thought then.
Reply Quote
MF = frequency.

wealth is a function of "frequency" x "quality"

since quality is a constant (ie: affix rolls range is not controlled, but rng within a normal distribution). the only way to achieve "wealth" is to increase frequency ie: MF

MF is ability to buy many lottery tickets. no MF = buying far fewer lottery tickets.

the chance to win the lottery is greatly improved by having more lottery tickets.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 4/9/2013 7:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What the blue is saying:

You have a 1/10 chance of dead white dropping an item, and an elite is guaranteed to drop at least one, and has a chance to drop more.

MF has no impact on those chances (the chances of the drops).

But now we come to what kind of item was dropped? Was it a legendary? You'll get more of those with higher MF. 6-stat rare? more of those too. 5 stat rare? more of those. Blue? At high enough MF you can almost guarantee an item drop is going to be at least blue.

So now lets say we have a legendary, or a 6 stat rare, the only items we care about. Is it a good one? That is, if it's a weapon for barb, did it roll 2.5 Lifesteal, or 2.6? (or none at all?) MF has no effect on that, it's pure luck.
Reply Quote
Good read
Reply Quote
ive put together several mf suits and ran full mf on every patch.

only noticeable difference is more bad yellows and extra light blue items like tombs,gems,potions
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]