Diablo® III

Magic Find

(Locked)

View profile
while on the subject of magic find:

I think its a mistake to obsolete magic find gear. Bonus magic find from paragon levels is good but there shouldn't be a cap in place that makes all magic find on gear useless once a character is leveled.
90 Draenei Death Knight
"magic find" still work?
Holy necro!!!

Relevancy to this post is gone, MF is 90% less effective then it once was, on top of that, legendaries drop more with less loot dropping overall, so its sort of subjective.

If you have 100% MF now, you should see average 10% more legendaries. Thats it, thats all thats factored in as far as I know.
This needs to be updated now with no monster power buffs. I was looking into this the other day but couldn't find any updated information on it with the new patch. I see that the one blue who commented on this last year said it would increase the chance the item dropping would be legendary. You would think that the higher difficulties would give some sort of bonus. Like 0% = normal, 20% = hard, 40% = master, 60% = torment 1, 80% = torment 2, 100% = torment 3, 120% = torment 4, 140% = torment 5, and 160% torment 6.

BLUES???
04/09/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Grimiku
How magic find works is a question we see on the forums from time to time. It’s not the most intuitive stat, but there are some places to find out more information about it that I’ll link below. To answer your question, though, Magic Find increases the chance that an item will be magical (i.e. legendary, 6-affix, 5-affix, 4-affix, etc.) when it drops, but it does not affect drop rates in any way or item stat ranges (i.e. when an item roll determines it will have 100 – 130 strength, Magic Find does not help increase the amount of Strength).

You can find more information about Magic Find in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment#magic-find"]game guide[/url], and DiabloWiki has a great [url="http://www.diablowiki.net/Magic_find"]section [/url]on it too.

Just remove the stat already. It was a bad idea to begin with. Players shouldn't be able to directly affect the calculators. Let us get on with playing the game and not having to worry about how to stay ahead of some statistical curve.
Edited by t0lkien#1368 on 3/11/2014 2:30 PM PDT
03/11/2014 02:27 PMPosted by BreakinHowie
This needs to be updated now with no monster power buffs.

Its actually updated in game, when you select a difficulty it says "increase gold/xp", nothing about mf. But when you select Torment, it says increased legendary per torment difficulty increase. One would have to assume, that Torment mechanic is separate from the MF affix (internally), but to you it would be the same.

There should probably be some kind of confirmed % for the torment slider, but my guess its like 3-5 % or 30-50 % (MF) for each slider tick.
i take this from the Link of Blue.

'' Using the above example, when your roll ‘misses’ a higher-level item quality, the item generator proceeds to the next lowest item quality in the chain (in this case, checking to see if you got a 6-affix rare, then checking for a 5-affix rare, and so on). Your magic find bonus applies to each roll. If the same monster has a 10% chance to drop a 5-affix rare item and you have 50% magic find, you now have a 15% chance to get a 5-affix rare item. ''

So mf is good. thats it....
03/11/2014 02:32 PMPosted by LeGeMeauX
So mf is good. thats it....

Nope, MF only increases your chance of legendary now, not to affix total or affix ranges. I think this was confirmed by a Blue back in beta.
View profile
Been using a top in my helm for awhile, have only noticed more rare items dropping out of weapon racks is all with it.
Item quality is checked in the following order:

Legendary
6-affix rare
5-affix rare
4-affix rare
2-affix rare
1-affix rare
magic item
03/11/2014 02:35 PMPosted by LeGeMeauX
Item quality is checked in the following order:

Legendary
6-affix rare
5-affix rare
4-affix rare
2-affix rare
1-affix rare
magic item

If this were true ( and it might be ;) legendaries are significantly more powerful then anything else.
Posted by darkvoidDoes magic find really have an impact on game play and drops?

04/09/2013 05:27 PMPosted by Glycerine
Blue says no

Actually, blue said yes. It does not effect the quality, just whether it is normal(white) or magic(blue or better).
04/09/2013 05:28 PMPosted by sojuu
How magic find works is a question we see on the forums from time to time. It’s not the most intuitive stat, but there are some places to find out more information about it that I’ll link below. To answer your question, though, Magic Find increases the chance that an item will be magical (i.e. legendary, 6-affix, 5-affix, 4-affix, etc.) when it drops, but it does not affect drop rates in any way or item stat ranges (i.e. when an item roll determines it will have 100 – 130 strength, Magic Find does not help increase the amount of Strength).

You can find more information about Magic Find in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment#magic-find"]game guide[/url], and DiabloWiki has a great [url="http://www.diablowiki.net/Magic_find"]section [/url]on it too.

So you are saying MF = quality? I find this really hard to believe. I got a paragon 100 wiz and do mp from 6-9 and from my experience the quality has been consistently horrible

+MF affects the base item TYPE (Legendary vs. Rare vs. Magic vs. Junk) that drops off a monster.

-It has NO EFFECT on the specific stat ranges that roll on the items themselves.
-It has NO EFFECT on the total # of items that can drop off a creature.

All MF% does is look at the items that have already been selected to drop and rolls to see if they will be a Legendary, a Yellow, a Blue or a White. After that, the regular RNG takes over and randomly picks what item it is and what stats roll on it, just like it always does.

THAT'S IT!
Edited by Scourge#1319 on 3/11/2014 3:22 PM PDT
03/11/2014 03:15 PMPosted by Scourge
Blue just said the EXACT OPPOSITE actually.

MF affects the base item TYPE (Legendary vs. Rare vs. Magic vs. Junk)

It has no effect on the specific stat ranges that roll on the items themselves.

Do you realize your replying to someone who hasn't logged on for almost 5 months? This is why we don't necro.
03/11/2014 03:18 PMPosted by semiXform
Blue just said the EXACT OPPOSITE actually.

MF affects the base item TYPE (Legendary vs. Rare vs. Magic vs. Junk)

It has no effect on the specific stat ranges that roll on the items themselves.

Do you realize your replying to someone who hasn't logged on for almost 5 months? This is why we don't necro.

Back off, man. I'm a time traveler.
03/11/2014 03:21 PMPosted by Scourge
ack off, man. I'm a time traveler.

Heh, ok I will agree that your a time traveler as long as you agree that your timestamp on your post is from today.
04/09/2013 09:51 AMPosted by CoolieMost
Magic find will give you MORE drops. But there is no guarantee that the drop you get will be BETTER. To consider that most drops are crap, with mf you will just be picking up more crap.

Wrong. It increases the chance for what does drop to be a rarer item. The site says so. It doesn't increase the number of drops and it only effects certain sources of drops (monsters for example).
i got magic find for your templar
20% shield
20% rings
45% sun keeper
40% ammy

rodrigo#1280 if u want some of it

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11984798859

(full list of magic find items)
04/04/2014 03:57 PMPosted by Marikc0
04/09/2013 09:51 AMPosted by CoolieMost
Magic find will give you MORE drops. But there is no guarantee that the drop you get will be BETTER. To consider that most drops are crap, with mf you will just be picking up more crap.

Wrong. It increases the chance for what does drop to be a rarer item. The site says so. It doesn't increase the number of drops and it only effects certain sources of drops (monsters for example).

Good job on the Necro-necro! Much misleading thread, many out of date info. Good work!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]