Diablo® III

Windforce Builds

Hey !

So i dropped a fairly decent Windforce (no socket tough, *sob*) tonight, but knowing it was unlikely i'd actually get much anything out of it i decided to actually try to play with it. I'm a massive fan of Archery so i really hoped i could find a way to play with a Bow and archery skills, instead of Spike Traps or Elemental Arrow for example.

I made a build that has good synergy with the Knockback effect.

Here's the build :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bjhVXd!ceY!YYZbZY

It basically revolve around knocking everything away while keeping it slowed and blasting with Multi-Shot Broadside as much as possible for very high damage.

Currently only playing around MP 5-6, wich probably isn't that bad by itself considering my gear pretty mediocre gear and it works like a charm in both A3 and during my key runs working on my Hellfire ring pattern. Its also very reliant on IAS and i'm still missing at least 3 key pieces that has some (Mempo, Inna's pants and Witching Hour).

Its a lot more dynamic than the usual Spike Trap tanky build and fun to play (to me) since its faster paced.

Curious what people think about it since there's still a few runes i'd consider trying to play around with it, also considering TA as a passive at the cost of a bit of damage.

If there's some DHs out there with MP8+ viable gear willing to test it out, feel free to give some feedback too.

Edits :

Edit 1 : Build Update 1 : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bjkVXd!ceY!ZYabZY

Edit 2 : "Rocket Storm" build concept : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WjkVgS!UeY!ZcabYY

Edit 3 : High mobility version of the original build : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bjVkgT!XeY!Zaca.Y

Edit 4 : Multiplayer close to infinite Hatred/Disc Multi Shot build :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bjkVgd!eXY!Zaabab

N.B all those build have been played up to MP8 by myself and in multi-player games. Waiting for better gear to go higher but they def work up to that point.
Edited by Griever#1994 on 4/21/2013 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I bought a windforce for fun recently, and...I kinda enjoy using Entangling shot, collar shock. It has the highest proc rate to push the enemy.

Same with you, I also use Multi-shot, but fire at will just so I can shoot more.

Another thing you can try is Strafe....proc rate isn't that high but it's quite fun pushing everyone around.

When I gear up, my DPS could get around 200k (With my Manticore) and I can at best with full concentration, do MP 7.

But when I play with Windforce, my DPS drops, so to faceroll and have fun, I only go to MP 3 in which my chances of dying is sooo low that I find it more effective. So yeah, just go for really low MP. DH aren't meant to do high MP.

It's bloody boring though...
Reply Quote
Hey Griever,
sorry for last night....

Congrats for your DML.....

Do you want to fight just for Honor?
Reply Quote
I like shock collar because each hit has 3-4 chances to proc KB (due to the lightning DoT). It is pretty badass - my current build is for windforce

The one thing that jumped out to me about your build is how do you take down elites? Spitfire turret is great and benefits from your passives. Multishot just doesn't hit that hard per hatred cost when it comes to single targets, great for groups though obviously.
Reply Quote
Congratulations on your drop!

I changed up to a Windforce a few weeks ago (from a Manticore) and I love the gameplay.

Here is a build that I run in MP8 through 10

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#ibdkgV!ecY!aZbaYY

Like your build, this build is relies on combining the high proc rate of Entangling Shot with Cull the Weak.

The primary differences are that I use Ball of Lightning and Spitfire Turrets.

Ball of Lightning is an AMAZING skill with the Knockback of a Windforce, because you can literally have an enemy get hit multiple times with a single volley of BL. When I approach a mob, I fire 3-4 volleys of BL from across the screen. Immediately after that, I fire Entangling Shot.

What ends up happening is that you hit the mob with ES And BL simultaneously, proc'ing both Cull the Weak and Knockback. As the monsters are knocked back, they will get "carried" with the BL, which keeps ticking dmg.

The second skill, Spitfire Turret, is a hidden gem for providing extra dmg. By running a Windforce, you now have a much faster attack speed. This attack speed is also applied to your turrets. Additionally, the bonus from Archery (15% dmg) will apply to turrets as well.

In my case, my turrets hit for about 100k a shot for each main attack, and 50k per shot for each rocket attack. At 2.5 attacks per second, I effectively have added 500k dmg per second with each turret.

When you get both turrets out, and you are rotating between ES and BL, things die quick (for a DH).
Reply Quote
Since you're trying to get all stuff out of reach..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bkQRie!ceY!ZbaYac

Shock Collar as your Hatred Generator, also helps in KB Procs

CoT also procs stuff you can proc EXCEPT crit.. Line them up well and useful when you are somewhat "retreating" from the enemy.

Shuriken Cloud - just an added lulz, if ever something indeed gets close to you, this could KB them also.

Echoing Blast every now and then on that area. Damage + KB Chance is always welcome.

M4D:ME one of those and this is triggered by all those skills.

EA- BA for more KB action >_<

Let's see someone gets to you with that.. Except bosses or those immune with KB though.. Passives, play as you will. Custom, Archery and Steady Aim can be placed there. Chakram can be replaced by at least 1 other Disc using skill >_<

EDIT: Like what he said, Spitfire Turret is also nice >_< The added security of CoT can somehow make it funny though.

Also, some monsters, when KB'ed so much, they'll just stay in the air.

Imagine 3 CoT, BL, Entangling Shot - SC and some Echoing Blast hitting something that is at the wall already..
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 4/17/2013 7:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

The primary differences are that I use Ball of Lightning and Spitfire Turrets.

Ball of Lightning is an AMAZING skill with the Knockback of a Windforce, because you can literally have an enemy get hit multiple times with a single volley of BL. When I approach a mob, I fire 3-4 volleys of BL from across the screen. Immediately after that, I fire Entangling Shot.

What ends up happening is that you hit the mob with ES And BL simultaneously, proc'ing both Cull the Weak and Knockback. As the monsters are knocked back, they will get "carried" with the BL, which keeps ticking dmg.

I do something similar with cluster bombs. I find it is very easy to keep a group of mobs right under the area of effect by using Shock Collar. I fire 0-2 shots of entangling, then fire 2 bombs in the air, and have time for 1-2 more hits of Entangling to get some more enemies slowed in the area of effect before the bombs fully explode. So you drop a load of 8 230% bombs on an enclosed group of enemies, half of which are slowed (for CtW) via the entanglings you were able to get off before explosion... not even counting scoundrel with multishot + crippling shot.

The only thing is it takes a little bit of art to keep them far enough for steady aim, but close enough to be hit by all the cluster bombs. Not hard to master though. The only issue with clusters is that it can be challenging to aim on elites - forget about extra fast - but that would be an issue with BL as well.

edit: forgot to mention, since the bombs drop sequentially moving outwards from you, it is easy to KB mobs while the cluster is in the air, knocking them back and applying continual Entangling Shot damage along with cluster bomb explosions.
Edited by SCOTTJ27#1798 on 4/17/2013 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Full Sentry DH.- Windforce

My Skill Build (Default) : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aShkXd!eYU!aYYaZY
(With teammates, I use another set)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aYhkXR!eYU!aZYaZb

This build is about staying alive & letting the sentries do the work. After all , they hit harder than my dh (for my case of stacking attack speed, average dmg & dex). I forgo crit chance & crit dmg because I believe in making sentries as my main source of damage.

Efficient in MP 4 , Doable in MP 7-8 , Not so efficient but still managable in MP 10

Hungering Arrow - Puncturing Arrow
Homing, useful in corridors & helps me to keep a safe distance away. Chose this over cinder arrows because they proc knockback too much , pushing the monsters away from sentry's firing range. Devouring arrow , not so viable ( no crit % and crit dmg%) . Bola shots are good for stun (I use it for ubers) but it also kills me =S !

Strafe - Rocket Storm
Mobility & a substitute to stutter stepping. Also makes use of unspent hatred.

Ferrets
Free gold pick up, & extra dps !! Cute + 1

Spitfire Turret
Main damage.

Smokescreen - Lingering Fog
Drop aggros, evade evil objects.

Vault - Acrobatics
Save disc for SS & keep distance.
Edited by Mao#6908 on 4/17/2013 10:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Griever,
sorry for last night....

Congrats for your DML.....

Do you want to fight just for Honor?

Or just for fun, yeah sure :P.

Other than time, skimmed trough other posts but kinda in a hurry i'll come back to everything later, some good ideas ^^.

I'll prolly switch to shock collar yeah, was just trying to make up for the Hatred cost of Multi Shot with Justice is served.

One issue i ran into tough is kind of a lack of single target damage to kill Gobs tough, trying to find a way around it, might be a gear issue tough.
Edited by Griever#1994 on 4/17/2013 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bit off-topic but (taken from the Hall of Fame thread) holy !@#$ that guy's Windforce...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/quos-6707/hero/1018785

Is it even possible to have a better one?
Edited by Griever#1994 on 4/17/2013 10:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the build advice here. Been thinking of picking up a WF to shake things up a bit.
Reply Quote
I've tried tons of builds with Windforce.

My preference for primary is entangling shot shock collar. The proc rate is amazing for the knockback and the damage is good with the dot lightning proc. One thing I'd like to add is the high proc rate isn't just good for knockback, it's also good for life on hit. With the lifesteal from WF and a little life on hit, I have ~600, I barely need gloom even at higher MP levels.

My preference for secondary is elemental arrow ball lightning. The proc rate is decent considering it hits twice typically and it is great for packs and large elites since it travels through targets and hits multiple times. It does great for proccing knockback and life on hit and has great synergy with entangling shot shock collar because you are slowing and knocking mobs back so you get extra hits from your slow moving ball lightning. I typically alternate the two to keep the slow on for cull the weak and to keep mobs at distance.

Sentries are also great with windforce because of the archery bonus damage and typically fairly high attack speed. I've heard lots of people say they prefer the sentry with the lower cooldown, but I much prefer the rockets because they go through obstacles for one, and the initial sentry does more damage and I rarely go to more than two sentries.

I will sometimes run prep at higher mp levels for the extra disc and security blanket, but typically I just run bat so I can spam ball lightning more often. Neither are necessary for the build to work, but if you aren't running any life on hit you are going to need more disc for gloom even though you do have the lifesteal. My current build is my favorite up to MP8, but I'd run prep for MP9+.
Reply Quote
K, read the thread a bit more toroughly, i agree with a lot of points, just did a run with a new build taking feedback in account.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bjkVXd!ceY!ZYabZY

First i agree Turrets is actually good with WF, was very pleasantly suprised. Its not a very fun button to press tough :/.

Only issue i'm still trying to fix is my single target damage tough, i pretty much can't kill Gobs at MP6 before they run away, idk if its a gear or build issue tough, any ideas?

One thing i considered is dropping Vault for Marked for Death but without TA i feel very vulnerable with only SS for defense. I really don't like Shadow Power either, while i don't want to run a Glasscannon build gearwise, i still prefer avoiding as much as i can (while still being able to take a few hits) over tanking.
Edited by Griever#1994 on 4/17/2013 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Do strongarm bracers make much of a difference with the 3.9% knockback bonus? I'm thinking of switching them out with Lacuni Prowlers.
Edited by Oceanminded#1201 on 4/17/2013 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Good strongarms with high knockback go well with Windforce, but I think you're better off crafting bracers. You aren't going to get high dex, high vit, high cc bracers with all resist with strongarms.

To the guy before on the gobs at mp6, your dps is a bit low to be able to kill them at that level. With your dps I'd probably be doing MP3-4.
Reply Quote
I need a piece of gear that will get me my 24% movement speed. Should I switch out my bracers or pants to obtain this?
Edited by Oceanminded#1201 on 4/17/2013 2:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Oceanminded
I need a piece of gear that will get me my 24% movement speed. Should I switch out my bracers or pants to obtain this?

I'd get Inna's pants and belt, get the set bonus and get your movement speed. Dex won't be as high, but you'll gain it back from the set bonus and you'll gain attack speed, crit chance, and elemental damage bonus.
Reply Quote
A 1350+ WF with an OS is good stuff. I got this Manticore for cheap that's the only reason why I sold my WF.
Reply Quote
my build @ mp10
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FrozenArrow-1722/hero/29472602
Reply Quote
^ Was wondering when the godfather of Windforce users would show up...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]