Diablo® III

2H or DW? Does it matter? Gearing Question...

90 Orc Death Knight
So I am trying to hit 200k damage... I am around 115k now... Which way will it be easier for me to achieve this?

I am trying to upgrade my gear, but I am not having much luck doing so.

I seem to fail when looking at the AH...

I really like the Dual Wield build right now and would honestly prefer to keep it.

Where should I start to get my Damage up another 85k?

Which pieces do you guys feel are my weakest links?
Reply Quote
Please post from your D3 account. Or at least a link to your profile.
Reply Quote
Sorry... This is my D3 account... Stupid thing always changing back... sorry...
Reply Quote
I have around your DPS, a little higher, and I can farm inferno MP10 pretty well (with a little bit of difficulty on elites). I suggest using Wave of Light with the spirit reduction rune and then use the Quickening rune on fists of thunder. It lets you spam WoL for huge amounts of damage to wipe out mobs.

As for gear, to up your DPS on paper, it's all bout the crit dmg and crit rate. Keep slowly upgrading your gear. Try and find bracers with better Crit Chance and an ammy with Crit chance and crit dmg. The Witching Hour belt is a nice belt for CD. Also, upgrade your shoulders... try crafting some or find a better Vile Ward with more Dex.

Hope this was somewhat helpful :)
Reply Quote
I have around your DPS, a little higher, and I can farm inferno MP10 pretty well (with a little bit of difficulty on elites). I suggest using Wave of Light with the spirit reduction rune and then use the Quickening rune on fists of thunder. It lets you spam WoL for huge amounts of damage to wipe out mobs.

As for gear, to up your DPS on paper, it's all bout the crit dmg and crit rate. Keep slowly upgrading your gear. Try and find bracers with better Crit Chance and an ammy with Crit chance and crit dmg. The Witching Hour belt is a nice belt for CD. Also, upgrade your shoulders... try crafting some or find a better Vile Ward with more Dex.

Hope this was somewhat helpful :)

Thanks a bunch. I will look into all of this tonight and if I can get some upgrades I will post back tomorrow. I just want to hit 200k. I dont know why... I just want to see that number... while of course keeping my EHP up to par....
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 02:26 PMPosted by Masokyst
Thanks a bunch. I will look into all of this tonight and if I can get some upgrades I will post back tomorrow. I just want to hit 200k. I dont know why... I just want to see that number... while of course keeping my EHP up to par....

No worries. IMO, this is probably the most valid reason for trying to get over 200K paper DPS.

Anyway, I think that a Skorn w/o Life Steal is probably the cheapest way to break the 200K DPS barrier. I think you can still snapshot LS into your Sweeping Winds if you want to go that route, especially if you pick up 4-piece Inna's.

The highest paper DPS you can get is almost certainly with an EF with socket, CD, and high +aps.
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 02:26 PMPosted by Masokyst
I just want to hit 200k.

200K DPS while maintaining a base minimum of 500K EHP along with adequate sustain will be pretty expensive. Do you have a budget in mind? I am not there yet, but I am painfully aware of the kind of items I'd need to get to that point. Just a small correction though... paper DPS comprises of +average damage, ChC, ChD, IAS, dex, +% elemental damage (maximized only when using black damage weapons). +% skills damage (like from WKL) is hidden DPS and skill specific that increases eDPS while not affecting paper DPS.

Beyond the pointers made above, I'd suggest that you also consider the following:

(1) 2h will likely be the cheaper way to get there, but your concerns about attack speed are very valid and common concerns. I am typically a DW monk, but experimenting with 2h but have found that the decrease in attack speed is definitely workable. Consider that my 2h skorn cost around 18M while both of my DW weapons cost a total of under 30M. My DW setup gives me approximately 20K less DPS and a loss of 2.4% LS compared to the skorn I am wielding while holding all other gear the same.

(2) Majority of DW monks that are hovering around the 200K DPS are wielding some kind of socketed EF, typically with either LS or native ChD (but it can't support both). The thing with the EF is that it is likely the cheapest way to increase your paper DPS, but the fear component can drive people nuts (but can be mitigated with some kind of mobility skill -- FoT/TC or DS are the ones of choice -- or CS to vortex them back in again.

(3) EF is typically paired with either a BS, WKL or a slower / higher damage rare (axe or mace). WKL gives you less paper DPS but increases your eDPS due to hidden damage bonuses. Reason EF is such a DPS boost is that the +APS is directly added to the other weapon's APS.

(4) if you DW, make a conscious decision on which weapon to put in your MH and which to put in your OH. Make sure you put the weapon with higher average damage, which is not necessarily the one with higher DPS... most of the big spirit spenders calculate damage out of MH only

(5) Rare weapons that give you nice dex, native ChD, LS and OS will likely give you biggest bang for your buck over legendaries if you are able to find good enough deals.

Most of all, make sure you use d3up.com to evaluate all gear purchases prior to purchase. And you will likely get better deals on AH if you are patient and willing to buy on bid instead of doing buyouts (which are almost always overpriced).

Refer to gearing guides listed in the sticky at the top of monk forums for more explanations. Good luck.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]