Diablo® III

Worth it for me to upgrade gems in weapons?

Just trying to decide if it is worth spending 125mil or so upgrading the gems in my weapons to Marquis emeralds. How much dps will I gain? I usually run a Skorn build but thought I would try something different.
Reply Quote
I'd guess you'd get about 5k dps from that. Where you are in your gear a 5k dps increase for 125m is not bad.
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 03:12 PMPosted by Drakos
How much dps will I gain?

I hear d3up.com can help you figure stuff like that out very easily.

04/03/2013 03:12 PMPosted by Drakos
worth spending 125mil or so upgrading the gems in my weapons to Marquis emeralds

Kinda depends on how much gold you have, and what your priorities are with it.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reply Quote
If it were me Id get a nice echoing fury before i got the gems , that would boost ur dps a ton, but ya - your next upgrades are a lot more than marquis gems
Reply Quote
Go to d3up.com. You can simulate your gear with any gem or stat configuration. I would suggest you look at both rubies and emeralds. In my case rubies offered a better dps improvement in the long run.
Reply Quote
With my Skorn, I am at 270k dps or so. This build is just to experiment more or less. The thing about the EF is that I just can't deal with the fear. I tried cyclone to midigate the effect but still don't like it. I do have a socketed 980 dps WKL that am comparting with for use as an OH. I have 3 Bill gold so I am not too concerned with cost. I have been focusing on leveling my HC monk and it is sooooo much more expensive for gear there. Is there a situation where I would choose a ruby over an emerald?
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Drakos
Is there a situation where I would choose a ruby over an emerald?

From what I understand, ruby in MH and emerald in OH if overall DPS is comparable to having two emeralds. The reason is that ruby only affects weapon it's in, while emerald affects both weapons. And increasing weapon damage is important for MH weapon, since skills like WoL or CS calculate damage solely off of MH weapon.

Use d3up.com to see difference between MH weapon damage in both scenarios, and calculate WoL damage in both to see the actual difference in damage output.
Reply Quote
Nameless = spokesperson for d3up! Lol!

Think about how many fewer posts there would be IF people actually went there first to simulate gear... and answer their own ?'s
Reply Quote
I was under the impression that the + weapon damage % affects rubies installed in sockets so weapons with a higher % benefit the ruby more. This may be one reason why rubies scale better than emeralds in certain weapons with a high weapon damage bonus.

Again, I'll also suggest like Nameless to go to d3up.com to be certain. It is quite easy to simulate any possible gearing combo. If you have a weapon with a gem in it already, it's super easy. Pick simulate then select the new gem from the drop down menu.
Edited by BigE#1536 on 4/4/2013 6:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 04:00 PMPosted by Xoran
I'd guess you'd get about 5k dps from that. Where you are in your gear a 5k dps increase for 125m is not bad.

This is about right, I got a bit more than 5K DPS from upgrading to Marquee gem in my SKORN. At this point in the game for me that's worth it, OP will have to make that call for himself. If u have the gold and don't plan on buying any more upgrades at the time I recommend to go ahead and do it, squeeze every bit of available DPS that you can.
Reply Quote
View profile
I would. 5K dps is huge at this stage.
Reply Quote
@nameless how much dps would I lose if I take my boots off :)
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 06:46 AMPosted by baggins
@nameless how much dps would I lose if I take my boots off :)

I dunno about DPS, but your EHP would drop to zero because poison pools and molten would mean INSTA-DEATH!!! MUAHAHAHA

(But seriously, they should come up with some kind of legendary item for the feet that reduces damage from ground effects. How sweet would that be?)

I was under the impression that the + weapon damage % affects rubies installed in sockets so weapons with a higher % benefit the ruby more. This may be one reason why rubies scale better than emeralds in certain weapons with a high weapon damage bonus.

To my understanding, the effect of rubies actually scale with attack speed, but I might be mistaken. I think there was some debate amongst the developers about how they would treat the +damage bonus, whether the ruby effect would be done pre +% bonus or post. I think they had different standards for each at some point... so the cheaper rubies were done pre and quality ones were done post? I might be wrong though.

In any case, I believe that the rubies affect the final average damage number after all weapon mods (not including APS), so the +% damage has no impact. Basically, take a weapon, pop in a ruby and watch the DPS figure go up, but scaled according to attack speed (I think).
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 4/4/2013 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is the change for you with your current gear if you added two marquise emeralds: 5483 DPS(to your unbuffed sheet dmg) which is a 2.77% increase.
Reply Quote
Hey Nameless, thanks. I have read about the attack speed ruby scaling as well and did forget to mention that. I think more recently I was reading about the + weapon damage affecting things too and that was what stuck in my mind. Frankly I haven't done any theorycrafting so it's just my memory of what I read. So you are probably right and I may be incorrect on what I mentioned, my apology. Mostly just said it to bring up the point that there's some things at work that affect the paper dps number than may not be completely clear based on one gem type and that's why simulating it is a good way to see things.
Edited by BigE#1536 on 4/4/2013 7:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]