Diablo® III

DiEoxidE & Flight's Step Video Tutorials!

Hey everyone! I've been asked to give a basis on how stepping "works" per say and how to achieve efficiency with it, so I made 2 videos doing just that! I was a bit nervous (first time doing anything like this) so I apologize for the hesitations in my speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni9-L3vPeUU

The conventional method. At the end, show's one of 2 mistakes most newer steppers make

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfpDd2IKJw

The move-slide method. I'm really horrible at it, so feel free to pick and laugh :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA_LIQP_jfs

The mouse only method by Flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KieIyygn7g8

This video goes into more depth on how to stay at ranged, and also the other most common mistake from new steppers with a few examples thrown in there. The things seen in this particular video can be applied to any of the step method's mentioned above.

As you can see from responses below, you can set up your key binds however you want to make this feel more comfortable to you! Thanks to everyone for contributing and supporting the Step!
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 4/21/2013 7:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Good videos man :)

I actually have a different method for how I stutter step. Instead of constantly clicking, I just use left shift to attack(while holding down left click - although I switch between this method depending on how pinpoint I need to be in movement and not clicking on objects and such), so I'm constantly hitting left shift as if it were an arcade stick button. So I'm personally more precise on my placement holding left click down, because I can't really afford to make mistakes or I lose hundreds of hours. The conventional way of doing it doesn't really work that well for me, and sometimes you end up clicking obstacles on the monsters themselves when they get to certain places and then I'd be at a standstill.

I also use this same method when I'm playing other classes. Like, on my Barb(once in a blue moon) I'll use Gathering Storm which allows me to step circles around monsters in melee range and avoid damage, since it slows them. And I do the same thing with Wiz using Spectral Blades. You basically learn the tip of the hitbox on your attacks, and you just strike at maximum range.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 4/10/2013 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Good videos man :)

I actually have a different method for how I stutter step. Instead of constantly clicking, I just use left shift to attack(while holding down left click - although I switch between this method depending on how pinpoint I need to be in movement and not clicking on objects and such), so I'm constantly hitting left shift as if it were an arcade stick button. So I'm personally more precise on my placement holding left click down, because I can't really afford to make mistakes or I lose hundreds of hours. The conventional way of doing it doesn't really work that well for me, and sometimes you end up clicking obstacles on the monsters themselves when they get to certain places and then I'd be at a standstill.

I also use this same method when I'm playing other classes. Like, on my Barb(once in a blue moon) I'll use Gathering Storm which allows me to step circles around monsters in melee range and avoid damage, since it slows them. And I do the same thing with Wiz using Spectral Blades. You basically learn the tip of the hitbox on your attacks, and you just strike at maximum range.

Ya, I know of many others that do it this way too as well. It works the opposite for me though, and I guess its because I'm so use to the conventional way that I'm way more accurate clicking where I want to go/aim than I aim holding down left click and "sliding"

I do want to make mention of this method as well in words in my OP, so that the end of the first video and the second video, they can choose either method to maximize their stepping and keeping ranged. :)
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 4/11/2013 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I used the "conventional way", except with shift bound to one of my mouse thumb buttons. So I never actually hit the shift key on my keyboard. So it's just thumb button + left click.
Reply Quote
Great videos.

This'll really help the community. Especially those that want to step.
Reply Quote
Nice man!

I've always enjoyed stutter stepping with you lol
Reply Quote
Great videos DiEoxidE big thanks

I've posted a link to this thread & your videos on the eu DH sticky to try help spread your work

Hope this is OK, if not I'll remove them
Reply Quote
Great videos DiEoxidE big thanks

I've posted a link to this thread & your videos on the eu DH sticky to try help spread your work

Hope this is OK, if not I'll remove them

Appreciate the compliments!

And yes, its completely ok to spread the word. Thanks for doing so!
Reply Quote
Thanks DiE, this is an excellent resource for the DH community. It would be great if we could get a sticky for this; we're long overdue for one.
Reply Quote
View profile
Good video man, thank you for sharing.
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 11:48 PMPosted by ActionKungfu
The conventional way of doing it doesn't really work that well for me, and sometimes you end up clicking obstacles on the monsters themselves when they get to certain places and then I'd be at a standstill.

I'm the same way, pressing a standstill key plus the mb1 doesn't really cut it for me.
What I find it easier to do would be something like Spacebar to move (so you don't click on a mob or pick an item up and screw up your step). Problem is Even this simpler method doesn't work. I someimes fail between clicking and pressing spacebar and moving the mouse on opposite sides of my character.

Finally I came up with this one: I use the attack skill on the Mb2, Usually You step backwards and anything. everything that is backwards is area you cleared/ should be empty of monsters, so clicking there isn't a problem, then with mb2 I aim it at the monsters in front of me which doesn't introduce the risk of accidently walking towards them to pick up a white item lol.

But DiE, I'm already better at stepping just from watching these vids! thanks!
Reply Quote
Nice cameo by ActionKungFu
Reply Quote
Another tip for those who are having difficulty with the coordination of this is to put your primary attack or secondary attack (such as Ball Lightning, or Bola Shot) on your RIGHT CLICK, that way you can move with left click and Attack with right click.
Reply Quote
The videos also taught me how to step on snakes.
Reply Quote
04/11/2013 12:29 AMPosted by TianZi
I used the "conventional way", except with shift bound to one of my mouse thumb buttons. So I never actually hit the shift key on my keyboard. So it's just thumb button + left click.

I do this as well.
Reply Quote
Excelent videos!
Reply Quote
Great video tutorial, but this will hurt my hand with 3.00 attack speed, so i use the same shift hold down button as ActionKungfu had mentioned in the above post.

DiEoxidE, do you happen to know how to back step without ever turning back to move back?

What i mean, is how Surfinn does it in the video Flight posted "4 DemonHunters in Ubers".

Skip to 6:35-6:44 mark and 8:17-8:30 mark to see what i am referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCq6B6H6TA

Surfinn will move in closer to target after a few bolas, then will unload Cluster bombs as he is retreating backwards, but still faces forward as he moves back.

Two reasons why i see he does it, first being to keep Steady Aim passive on, and the second is to keep his distance so he can avoid attacks.
Reply Quote
Great video!

The only thing I would add is to use the "move" command to do the "step". I do this with a multi-button mouse which has the move command bound to a thumb button. This way I alternate between pointing and moving with my right thumb, then simultaneously pressing hold position with left thumb (bound to space-bar) and pressing left mouse button in the firing direction. Mouse movement is the same.

The advantage to move over left mouse button is that you don't randomly stop stepping when clicking, for example on a mob. I know, I know, if you might say "if you stutter step correctly there should be no mobs in range" but that's most certainly not always the case. I've long since gotten into the habit of moving with the move command and never firing with left mouse button without also pressing hold position.

One last tip for when you want to stutter step in the direction you are firing (e.g. closing distance while firing instead of kiting), you can hold move button and tap fire button quickly. Your toon will move and shoot very efficiently. It was once possible to simply hold both move and fire and have your toon do the same thing, but that was patched out some time ago, so to stutter step in the direction you are firing, just hold move and click fire as fast you'd like.
Reply Quote
You miss quite a lot of attacks in the video. Maybe switching to hungering arrow is better?
Reply Quote
Awesome videos man! Keep up the good work.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]