Diablo® III

DiEoxidE & Flight's Step Video Tutorials!

06/10/2013 07:12 PMPosted by ledmage
hungering arrow, u wont need to aim much at all!

True, but it loses various things you could do with the other ones.

First lets see the proc rates: https://docs.google.com/a/nyu.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgL5S3Revw9ddEhScEpSLWhnRDZKV25OaWZJcHdkN0E#gid=2
That'll help you decide which to use depending on how much you need to proc nightstalker, or something like knockback on your WF

Secondly, You lose:
Crowd control (ent. shot), which sometimes is extremely needed in range. Control them with slows, stuns, fears. Or just pull a GC and kill them in 1-2 shot*Cough Die and Flight Cough cough*
The synergy combos such as nukes you can pull off with bola shot, as well as "perm" stun
And lastly, the grenades, although almost no range DH uses them because they require you to play a short distance ranged, provide a ton of resources regen and a pretty nice AoE, but lack damage, again almost noone uses it since it is too much of a risk to use it efficiently.

So going back to your statement, it is better, aim wise, but those are just some things that you must ask yourself if you're willing to trade off.
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
Also need to bump this thread. The tutorials are awesome!
Reply Quote
04/11/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Archimonde
do you happen to know how to back step without ever turning back to move back?

As far as I know, it's impossible to get your character to do that on your screen, but when you're in a party and someone else is stutter-stepping well, it will look like they're not turning around.

I was in a party with someone and doing some stutter stepping once, and they asked me how i was moving without turning around, but on my screen I was. You'd have to ask a dev why that is. Probably something to do with making the characters move more smoothly for other players? i have no idea
Reply Quote
Thanks great vids
I prefer this method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfpDd2IKJw

and will practice ^^
Reply Quote
i dont get how to do this at all. :O
i always thought stutter stepping was just hitting left shift then mouse 1

you appear to not use left shift at all.

how are you firing? my mouse 1 does not fire at nothing... only when I target enemies

how are your keys assigned? mouse 1? mouse 2? move?
Edited by hmk21#1716 on 8/19/2013 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just a bump. Plus I need to mark this for future reference.
Reply Quote
i dont get how to do this at all. :O
i always thought stutter stepping was just hitting left shift then mouse 1

you appear to not use left shift at all.

how are you firing? my mouse 1 does not fire at nothing... only when I target enemies

how are your keys assigned? mouse 1? mouse 2? move?

Are you asking me or someone else?
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfpDd2IKJw

The move-slide method. I'm really horrible at it, so feel free to pick and laugh :D

I've been practicing stepping using this method with very satisfactory results. :) I'm finding it easier to transition from one direction of movement to another, and all in all side stepping is easier for me with this method.

One of the issues I've been having is dropped/hanging shots, connection related I guess, which threw my timing off. This method sort of smoothes the rough edges out.

Also, as DiE mentioned in the video, this method isn't quite as accurate, but guess what, we have Guided Arrow from D2; works like a charm. :)
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 1/20/2014 9:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've been practicing stepping using this method with very satisfactory results. :) I'm finding it easier to transition from one direction of movement to another, and all in all side stepping is easier for me with this method.

Mhm! I remember when you first started, you've come a long way ^.^ I'm still learning :)

I'm horrible a shift stepping though, I use the mouse method like Flight did. I also found that changing my primary stepping skill to right click helped a lot as it eliminates the need to press shift. I still have to do it for left click stepping but iunno it works for me ^.^

I still can't move to the right and shoot left tho >.< stepping in all other directions is easier for me, I just can't get the pattern to stick >.<

on a side note! We HAVE to hop on beta together sometime! I figured out a Frozen Orb + Blizzard Spec, it feels EXACTLY like the old d2 sorc. I love it! ^.^
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 1/20/2014 9:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Tasty

I have tried the mouse only method in the past and it just didn't click for me, pardon the pun. I find it easier to use digit on each hand to step rather than use one hand to click-to-move, shoot, and move the cursor. A little distribution of labor if you will. :)
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 1/20/2014 11:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I have tried the mouse only method in the past and it just didn't click for me, pardon the pun. I find it easier to use digit on each hand to step rather than use one hand to click-to-move, shoot, and move the cursor. A little distribution of labor if you will. :)

Why not use them all? I know I'm not the right person to be speaking as my step is just not as good as most of the people out there. I use the mouse to do side steps, and when I move forward/backward I use the keyboard (hold and click as well as click and click)
Reply Quote
01/20/2014 11:11 AMPosted by RedCell
@Tasty

I enjoy the carpal tunnel pains ^.^
Reply Quote
View profile
If you learn how to do all of the stepping methods, then you can step with left click, right click, and any other button.

I know DiE has a right click attack stepping weakness, which I don't have, because I use more than one method.

In any case, it's not like it matters for me anymore, as my game seems to be locked at 300+ ping and I rubberband ingame no matter what I do - so I don't even play anymore.
Reply Quote
Is there a technical explanation behind stutter stepping being associated with rubber banding? I have to say I've never run into it before, and I'm playing from oceania so I have horrid latency compared to people in the states.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/20/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Myon
Is there a technical explanation behind stutter stepping being associated with rubber banding? I have to say I've never run into it before, and I'm playing from oceania so I have horrid latency compared to people in the states.

Stutter stepping is just more inputs than normal play, more APM or whatever. So if your latency is high, you might be into another command and the game didn't catch up and rolls back.

There's something going on with my ISP, and so when I create or join game I come in at 2k+ latency, then it goes down into 100-400 and keeps going up and down so I rubberband no matter what I do, even when just standing there holding left click - you know that thing that happens where you start shooting air and everything on the screen "stops".
Reply Quote
01/20/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Myon

I know what you mean. I have way more rubber banding issues when I play DH than when I spin to win with my Barb.
Reply Quote
I find that rubberbanding usually happens only when you have lag spikes (sudden latency spike to over 600 ms) or dropped packets, which can happen and still show stable 200~300 ms latency in game. I also play from Oceania, and when the latency is truly stable at 200~300 ms with no lag spikes or dropped packets, I can usually step without rubberbanding. But when the lag spikes hit, I would experience some rubberbanding and I'll just forget about playing range altogether, and switch to tank build instead.

As for the stepping method, I bind "move" to spacebar, and what I do is hold left shift + spacebar together, and then do something similar to the sliding method, where I place the cursor in the direction I want to step, and then quickly slide the cursor back to the direction I want to shoot to left/right click for the shot, then slide the cursor back in the direction I want to step again.

I find this method easier to keep up for a longer period of time because I sometimes find myself losing my rhythm with the click-shift+click after an extended period of time, but it does gain less distance when stepping away from the monsters because as you slide your cursor back in the direction of the intended shot, your character would start to change direction and move a little in the direction of the shot if it's not done fast enough. When I really need to gain more distance from the monster but the situation is not dangerous enough to warrant a Vault, I would use a short burst of the click-shift+click method to gain more distance while keeping attacks up.

I also bind my skill bar buttons to A S D F so that I don't have to stretch my fingers much on my left hand when stepping with the Shift+Space-click method.
Reply Quote
^^ You and I have both stutter stepped successfully together before Oble but I never knew you were doing that with such a setup!

Never had a problem myself with 'click-shift+click', but a long time ago I bound the Tab key (as opposed to Shift key - changed the Map hotkey to M key) to hold still to fire as it's closer to 1234, thus I can comfortably use my ring finger to hold+fire before flicking the mouse back and forth to stutter step in conjunction with Tab.

1800 DPI on the mouse for left/right swings seems to do the trick for me :-)

And yes agreed ping for us Aussies can be ridiculous sometimes!

Silver
Edited by Silver#6986 on 1/21/2014 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks Silver. =) I think I still have a long way to go compared to you guys who have been doing it for much longer than I have.

I've bound my keys that way cuz it's reminiscent of an FPS game's keys, which I'm very very comfortable with, and by just holding down shift+move, the only thing to worry about is to slide the cursor back and forth and only clicking once per attack instead of twice per attack with click-shift-click.

And it's getting a bit addictive at 2.86 or 3.001 APS with a Calamity and the Multi BolaGasm build that I'm sitting here wishing I can hit the same APS breakpoints with my dual-wield set lol.

A sensitive mouse certainly helps too :D

One of the issues I've been having is dropped/hanging shots, connection related I guess, which threw my timing off. This method sort of smoothes the rough edges out.
Actually, could this be related to the APS disparity between Calamity and Danetta's Spite? I also noticed the occasional dropped shot where the toon stops at the click that's meant for firing a shot but nothing happens when I use Calamity + Spite, which prompted me to think it was me mis-timing the different rhythms for each hand.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]