Diablo® III

Small question

Hi all, I am asking myself a question :

Why is Belial after Eldruin ?

If I am not mistaken it is never explained in the game, does somebody know the answer ?

Thank you
Reply Quote
I would also like to know why, IF I'm not mistaken, Maghda says once something like "my master Belial wants the powers of the sword for himself", but that doesn't really explain anything. Anyone else? :P
Edited by Wildmind#1580 on 4/17/2013 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not exactly sure, to be honest.

It is unlikely that Belial could harness its power in any way, given that it is an angelic relic, so his true intentions were probably not that. The best reason I can come up with off the top of my head is that Belial did not want the sword reunited with Tyrael. Why he thought that would matter, I do not know. Tyrael proved to be no little to the champions while they were in Caldeum, and played no part in revealing or destroying Belial. I will try to do a bit more research and post if I find anything.
Reply Quote
I have referenced 'The Book of Cain', 'The Sword of Justice', in-game lorebooks and the appropriate questline in DIII.

All I have come up with is the face that Belial's intention was simply to make sure that Tyrael and the sword did not reunite one way or another. This is shown when Maghda takes away Tyrael when she discovers that the sword fragments will be lost to Leah's dormant power.

Unfortunately, I have seen no hints about why he would specifically want them to be separated, since as I said, Tyrael posed no direct threat to Belial during the course of Act II. Perhaps it is an intentional mystery, or perhaps ts just lazy writing.

I would like to say that while I have read 'The Order,' it's not exactly easy to flip through and find details that you may have missed before. I cannot recall anything from my first reading that applies to this.
Edited by Chris#1235 on 4/18/2013 11:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I guess that it make sense that Belial would want to prevent Tyrael to reunite with his sword.

But as you said, could also be lazy writing. Maybe if they had given us a bit more info on the powers of the sword that would have been clearer.

Edit : I am replaying act 1 now and I ask myself this question : If Belial only wanted to prevent Tyrael to get reunited with his sword why did Magda tried to force Cain to repair it ? :P

I guess we will have to wait for an answer from the writers sometimes somewhere

Anyway, I am ham happy with the answer you gave me.

Thank you a lot
Edited by Salinoc#1550 on 4/21/2013 7:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am replaying act 1 now and I ask myself this question : If Belial only wanted to prevent Tyrael to get reunited with his sword why did Magda tried to force Cain to repair it ? :P

Anyway, I am ham happy with the answer you gave me.
You know, that's a good point. I'm not at all happy with my answer, so I'll make up a better one.

I guess since we are dealing with Belial, we have to question every word he utters. Belial has been very aware of how powerful Leah is since she was a child, and is not enough of a fool to think that a few cultists, or even Maghda herself, could contain her. Surely he must have known how the situation presented in Cain's house would turn out. So then, why did it happen? Perhaps all of that huffing and puffing with the sword was all a plot to kill Deckard Cain, or rather have him kill himself, without anyone suspecting him.

Of course, that also begs the question of 'why?' Well, like most things, that's where everything gets a little dicey. Deckard Cain might have a pretty bad reputation in Hell for being a meddler. His knowledge has led to the foiling of more than one of Hell's plans. The Horadrim must have a pretty bad reputation in Hell of some sort as well, considering the Binding of the Three and all. While Cain is not a Horadric mage, being associated with the order mustn't do him well. And with Belial specifically, the plot in 'The Order' must put Cain on top of Belial's hit list. But revenge is such a petty motive, even for a demon. I think that all of that may have just put Cain on Belial's radar as a legitimate threat to whatever plans he has.

Even with Cain dead, his 'plan' that took action in Act II was pretty bad. Surely that wasn't all he had. Maybe it was all just a slight-of-hand, one that only a man as intelligent and perceptive as Deckard was could figure out, and his real plot will come intro fruition as the expansions unfold.

But what do I know?
Reply Quote
[quote]I guess since we are dealing with Belial, we have to question every word he utters. Belial has been very aware of how powerful Leah is since she was a child, and is not enough of a fool to think that a few cultists, or even Maghda herself, could contain her. Surely he must have known how the situation presented in Cain's house would turn out. So then, why did it happen? Perhaps all of that huffing and puffing with the sword was all a plot to kill Deckard Cain, or rather have him kill himself, without anyone suspecting him.

This is the best application of fridge brilliance I have ever read in regards to this game.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeBrilliance
Reply Quote
"El'druin is, by all accounts, a unique weapon that can cut through any substance or foe in existence. there is, however, an exception: Some beleive that the blade's edge cannot pass through or harm any being of righteous intent."

Now... from what i gather... Belial wanted that sword... perhaps even needed it... Maybe not to fight the Angels... perhaps Azmodan himself....

I beleive anyone could weild it.. but as Chris said... its an Angelic Relic... perhaps Magdah's orders were to get it whole again and Belial would have to corrupt it somehow...

I know this might not apply fully... but Tyreal fought against Imperius and weilded Solarion against him... yet it was not "his" Relic.... so...

Your guess is as good as mine... ?
Reply Quote
I know this might not apply fully... but Tyreal fought against Imperius and weilded Solarion against him... yet it was not "his" Relic.... so...

Your guess is as good as mine... ?

Tyrael just picked Solarion up - he didn't actually use it. There's no indication that he CAN use it, except to slam it into the ground. He certainly didn't make it blast heavenly fire a la Imperius VS Leahblo.
Reply Quote
Tyrael just picked Solarion up - he didn't actually use it. There's no indication that he CAN use it, except to slam it into the ground. He certainly didn't make it blast heavenly fire a la Imperius VS Leahblo.

Though i agree with you, there was no indication that he could use it, but in the same sense, there was no indication that he couldnt....

I beleive that he could have, yet, it was NOT in his nature, he is Justice. (at the time)
It was not his call to use Solarion on Imperius?
Reply Quote
Though i agree with you, there was no indication that he could use it, but in the same sense, there was no indication that he couldnt....

I beleive that he could have, yet, it was NOT in his nature, he is Justice. (at the time)
It was not his call to use Solarion on Imperius?

This makes sense. I guess there's precedent for the mighty weapons of the Archangels to not be explicitly bound to their aspects - El'druin called to Jacob after it was lost following the destruction of the Worldstone.
Reply Quote
I'm sure that Tyrael or any other angel could wield Solarion, but likely cannot call upon it as Imperius can. A similar thing may happen with El'Druin, and it's own supernatural abilities.
Reply Quote
Considering who Belial is, the Lord of Lies, I assumed that he required the sword to create a believable disguise as an angel. His power relies on deception and illusions- it would be obvious if Tyreal were walking around without his sword. Also, doesnt the sword act as a kind of key in some situations? I could have sworn I saw Tyreal open something with it before.
Reply Quote
[quote]
Even with Cain dead, his 'plan' that took action in Act II was pretty bad. Surely that wasn't all he had. Maybe it was all just a slight-of-hand, one that only a man as intelligent and perceptive as Deckard was could figure out, and his real plot will come intro fruition as the expansions unfold.

If Belial really did have a master plan (and it wasn't just sloppy writing), maybe it had something to do with reuniting Leah with Adria.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]