Diablo® III

How would YOU upgrade shields in Diablo 3

I have 2 ways you could do that. One would be to give them average or crit dmg, or two i would have them give buffs to certain skills for example say a barb could get 100% more dmg for Hammer of the ancients to name one.

@Mike if you still want a improvement for shields would treating it like a weapon socket wise help? change gems so that when equipped in a shield you get the same bonus's that you get on a weapon.

@Volu One skill I always thought should give a buff to shields is the monk's "The Guardian's Path" it would be nice if it gave something like +10% block when using a shield.make unblockable damage hurt less and blockable damage hurt much more. This would make people think a little longer about the trade-off of dps vs mitigation when it comes to their offhand.

@Undead add Life steal, life on hitt or life on kill

@Wtflag Yes. Make a different set of MP levels that scale damage more than HP.

@Bolo Treat shields just like they treated 2h weapons, allow them to roll double the affixes an offhand does. Add new affixes like damage reflect, etc.
That means a shield can get up to 20% CC, rework the block formula to completely nulling the attack instead of a block amount.

@panda I say make shields be better defense, so if you choose shield, you can sacrifice defensive stats on other items.examples could be +% res all and +% armor in addition to the normal +res all and + armor affixes shields can get. Limit them to Defensive bonuses.

@Chris shields can roll 8 affixes. of which 2 of them will be resource related
(ie: apoc + max ap)
(fury on hit + max fury)
(spirit regen + max spirit)
(mana regen + max mana)
(max disc+hatred regen, or disc regen + max hatred)

@MInd give them a higher max roll for all resist, add damage reduction % to them...
have different shield types:
spiked shields have and increased % of thorn damage.
ice shield slows attacker when blocked.
lite shield has much higher block rate with much lower damage reduction.
heavy shield with lower block rate but much higher damage reduction.

@Downfall block neglects 100% of damage you would have taken and deducts 1 from durability every time.
a good block rate is not only a livesaver, but a gold sink.
and let shields roll things like IAS and crit damage
also sources quivers and mojos need to be able to roll lifesteal (these don't need xtra crit or anything, just lifesteal to compare with dual weilding)...................@ME I agree i would like the Lifesteal on quivers or other offhands because it would make things so much easier for a DH and WD and make them more playable.

@Firestorm My idea is to have shields have an altogether different set of affixes unique to shields as well as gem effects. Of course there are many different possible solutions here, for example; gems socketed would reduce elemental damage relevant to their colors (ruby reduces fire damage, emerald reduces poison, and so on). Another example of a shield specific affix would be reflect damage or thorns, where thorns effects would have a massively amplified effect when a shield is equipped, or have shields reflect a % (unmitigated) damage back at foes.

@Mike a 10-15% exp penalty would hurt. take 2 deaths from a elite pack and you lost a chunk of your paragon leveling (hours possibly gone). i seen people that shouldn't be where they are at die 5+ times to same pack as well as dying to white mobs easily. 1 run with xp loss would result in resetting your xp for that level to 0, or removing the floor to the xp loss to allow you to actually reverse level would really hurt some people. ...........@ME would make people think more defensively,
Edited by Jt3z#1245 on 4/3/2013 2:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Make monsters hit harder.
Reply Quote
@Highborne Ok wait to be an !@# and these are just ideas if you dont agree with the fine just dont be an $%^ about it. The reason i said that is because shields are useless, they take away to much damage away if you dont use DW. They need to be upgraded. Of course you still wont get the same amount of DPS if you used shield over DW but u players need to get more dmg from them to make them useful.
Edited by Jt3z#1245 on 4/2/2013 11:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Make MONSTERS HIT HARDER... fixed
Reply Quote
the problem is that on higher mp's the only dmg you need to worry about as a shield using class (monk or barb) are AoE/DOT things like plagued and molten or desecrate all of which the shield does nothing for. right now the best use for a shield is the 10% CC it gives. meaning it is used more for offence than it's intended purpose of defense. another problem is there are no skills that offer buffs of any sort for shields that I can think of. you get buffs for dual wielding or using 2-hand weapons but nothing for going 1-hand and shield.
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 11:34 PMPosted by voluptuary
the problem is that on higher mp's the only dmg you need to worry about as a shield using class (monk or barb) are AoE/DOT things like plagued and molten or desecrate all of which the shield does nothing for. right now the best use for a shield is the 10% CC it gives. meaning it is used more for offence than it's intended purpose of defense. another problem is there are no skills that offer buffs of any sort for shields that I can think of. you get buffs for dual wielding or using 2-hand weapons but nothing for going 1-hand and shield.
Thats what im saying needs an upgrade they need to add more skill buffs for shields.
Reply Quote
One skill I always thought should give a buff to shields is the monk's "The Guardian's Path" it would be nice if it gave something like +10% block when using a shield.

It's kinda funny if you look at your stat sheet and mouse over your block rate it says it can be 'improved by gear or skills' yet there are ZERO skills that improve block. ZERO.
Edited by voluptuary#1812 on 4/2/2013 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
add Life steal, life on hitt or life on kill
Edited by UndeadKnight#2978 on 4/2/2013 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
add Life steal, life on hitt, life on kill
Ah thats a great idea 4-6 LS 1k+LOH 2k+LOK that ould make me wanna use shields more. Nice one.
Reply Quote
Monsters already hit hard enough in MP10...
Reply Quote
One skill I always thought should give a buff to shields is the monk's "The Guardian's Path" it would be nice if it gave something like +10% block when using a shield.

It's kinda funny if you look at your stat sheet and mouse over your block rate it says it can be 'improved by gear or skills' yet there are ZERO skills that improve block. ZERO.
Yea they need something like this as well. Cool idea
Reply Quote
What they really need to do is make unblockable damage hurt less and blockable damage hurt much more. This would make people think a little longer about the trade-off of dps vs mitigation when it comes to their offhand.
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 11:45 PMPosted by voluptuary
What they really need to do is make unblockable damage hurt less and blockable damage hurt much more. This would make people think a little longer about the trade-off of dps vs mitigation when it comes to their offhand.
Thats something to think about although it would make the shield still less useful. You want to maximize the D from the shield while getting a little Offense from it. As i said before u still wont get the same amount of dps from a shield than if u used DW but we still neeed a few buffs to make it useful/work
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 11:28 PMPosted by Dogf

04/02/2013 11:30 PMPosted by Knoland

Yes. Make a different set of MP levels that scale damage more than HP.
Reply Quote
Treat shields just like they treated 2h weapons, allow them to roll double the affixes an offhand does. Add new affixes like damage reflect, etc.

That means a shield can get up to 20% CC, rework the block formula to completely nulling the attack instead of a block amount.
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 11:48 PMPosted by Wtflag

Yes. Make a different set of MP levels that scale damage more than HP.
Ah thats another good idea you could have two sets of mp levels one that gives monsters more Defense and Hp or way more dmg. Nice idea.
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 11:24 PMPosted by Jt3z
. One would be to give them average or crit dmg, or two i would have them give buffs to certain skills for example say a barb could get 100% more dmg for Hammer of the ancients to name one.

are we talking about shield or weapons?
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 11:52 PMPosted by Jeetkundo
. One would be to give them average or crit dmg, or two i would have them give buffs to certain skills for example say a barb could get 100% more dmg for Hammer of the ancients to name one.

are we talking about shield or weapons?
haha no shields
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]