Diablo® III

How would YOU upgrade shields in Diablo 3

I'd make mobs hit a HELL OF A LOT HARDER. That way it'd actually be useful to stack some eHP, and eventually actually use things like shields.

I wear less than 300k eHP farming in MP10. Using a shield is basically out of the question unless mobs hit way harder, or a shield gives me more eDPS than my Skorn.
I agree we need the game rebuffed
Reply Quote
Make gems give the shields different properties instead of the basic stats...and different from weapons. +crit hit %, resist all, increased block % and damage, chance to stun/blind on hit, reduced cool downs, crowd control reduction, increased proc co's.....lots of choices they could go with. Actually reducing crowd control effects should be mandatory on all shields....its a shield afterall.
Reply Quote
Shields should get different bonuses from gems but they shouldn't be offensive ones or it will create a new problem where dual-wielding isn't as effective. Defensive bonuses only, after all it's a shield.

Ruby - increased block amount that goes higher than the max limit of i63 shields
Emerald - increased block chance
Topaz - elite damage reduction
Amethyst - %life
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Just wanted to jump in and say thanks for the discussion (and the compiled feedback in the OP). :)

The role of a shield is that, if you feel like you're taking too much damage, you can put it on and take noticeably less damage, and shields right now are fulfilling that role well. Also, while we know that shields aren't as sexy since we toned down the difficulty of the game, they do still provide a lot of value to Hardcore characters and are useful to players who prefer a more defensive play style. Even so, we're interested in ways to make defensive stats in general more appealing (and shields as a part of that), without returning to the early launch days when everybody was pigeonholed into highly defensive builds.

Along those lines, we're always looking for good critiques and suggestions for the game, and there's a lot of great feedback in here, so I'll be sure to pass this along!
Reply Quote
Just wanted to jump in and say thanks for the discussion (and the compiled feedback in the OP). :)

The role of a shield is that, if you feel like you're taking too much damage, you can put it on and take noticeably less damage, and shields right now are fulfilling that role well. Also, while we know that shields aren't as sexy since we toned down the difficulty of the game, they do still provide a lot of value to Hardcore characters and are useful to players who prefer a more defensive play style. Even so, we're interested in ways to make defensive stats in general more appealing (and shields as a part of that), without returning to the early launch days when everybody was pigeonholed into highly defensive builds.

Along those lines, we're always looking for good critiques and suggestions for the game, and there's a lot of great feedback in here, so I'll be sure to pass this along!

Only barbarians have a good shiled >>> Monarch
and for the other classes shield's becomes useless
Edited by Libano#1235 on 4/12/2013 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
all shields should come with a set affix that allows them a chance to basically give you a free attack (a riposte, if you will) or other effect, such as a small moment of IAS, whenever you block. it adds a tangible benefit to blocking and can perhaps being to help make up the offensive power lost when choosing to use a shield, though naturally using a 2h or dual wielding will be better offensively.
Reply Quote
I think they should do something to bring the shield more into the game. I would like to see them be able to be used with some 2h weapons in one hand and a shield in the other. Maybe not the 2h bow but the crossbow, yeah.
Reply Quote

Just make sure Thorn properties are much improved so it has a good synergy with Shield users (and pet builds). :D

Right now, Thorn properties on items are complete garbage as they do not scale well in higher MP.
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 05:32 PMPosted by Lylirra
The role of a shield is that, if you feel like you're taking too much damage, you can put it on and take noticeably less damage, and shields right now are fulfilling that role well. Also, while we know that shields aren't as sexy since we toned down the difficulty of the game, they do still provide a lot of value to Hardcore characters and are useful to players who prefer a more defensive play style.

How about applying this logic to ranged classes with low eDPS?
Reply Quote
STORMSHIELD should roll +INT or +DEX like it does +STR. Barbs aren't the only ones who could use a nice 34% block shield.
Reply Quote
Maybe it's been said before, but 14 pages is a bit to work through.

To make shields more appealing, how about the ability to negate critical hits, reverting them back to normal damage? Might not be so big in PVE, but for PVP, it'd be a big help.

I could also see something like shields getting some percentage chance to reflect melee damage back to the attacker. Maybe a legendary giving RD as per the monster skill? This isn't a fully-formed idea, really - more like a passing thought.

Multiple sockets, or perhaps if shields behaved as helmets for the purposes of what gems do in them.

Again - some (all) of this may have been said before; I apologize for being late to the party.
Reply Quote
Mainstat should be guaranteed on shields so that the dps loss vs ehp gain isn't gigantic. Plus, if it rolls a skill modifier, it should match the mainstat on it (so shields with dex would only roll monk or demon hunter skills, as an example). What it boils down to is that if the dps loss amounts to something like 15-20%, people might still use them. As a wizard, I can tell you that no shield I've found gets close to that against a Triumvirate.

Rebuffing the monsters damage just means that most people (not all) will go back down to farming lower MP levels until they can get gear that kills the higher MP levels faster. The issue isn't exactly monster damage, but farming efficiency, and the key to making shields attractive is to make them worth the dps efficiency loss. Closing the dps gap is the easiest way I think.

I made a blog post analyzing the cons of using a shield in the current environment - it's currently up on Diablofans

(http://www.diablofans.com/topic/91865-whatever-happened-to-the-shielded-crusader/)

well as my own blog

(http://archmagelezard.blogspot.com/2013/03/state-of-play-whatever-happened-to.html).
Edited by Lezard#6347 on 4/12/2013 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Maybe it's been said before, but 14 pages is a bit to work through.

To make shields more appealing, how about the ability to negate critical hits, reverting them back to normal damage? Might not be so big in PVE, but for PVP, it'd be a big help.

I could also see something like shields getting some percentage chance to reflect melee damage back to the attacker. Maybe a legendary giving RD as per the monster skill? This isn't a fully-formed idea, really - more like a passing thought.

Multiple sockets, or perhaps if shields behaved as helmets for the purposes of what gems do in them.

Again - some (all) of this may have been said before; I apologize for being late to the party.

all of this is what i want shields to be
Reply Quote
WTB shields with spell reflect
Reply Quote
I like all the legendaries in D3, except shields. The only good one is the Storm shield. D2 had some AWESOME shields. There were so many options when chosing a shield.

jmods (normal and pally variants)
storm shield
spirit shield variants (monarchs or pally base with all res or ar/dmg)
HoZ
Exile variants (ar/dmg or all res)
good rares (although these were extremely rare)

We have storm shield and rares on D3. Meh.

The game keeps moving in the right direction though, rome wasnt built in a year lol.
Edited by Camisto#1172 on 4/12/2013 10:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Since we only have 1 set for shield, why not add a couple of sets that give special bonus to specific type of Build that could promote build diversity.
Reply Quote
i havent used a shield in.....i donno since my 1st toon...i didnt like them because when i blocked a shot it was as tho i was temporarily stunned and could not move...i felt ...being hc that this was more detrimental to me as i felt it would force more hits...

in retrospect of my words...it would be nice if blocked hits stunned the damager...this might be problematic with arcane and mortar..if that can even be blockedd..wutev
Edited by Uberbunk#1119 on 4/13/2013 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
just a idea but how about a class specific shield for monks and barbs that has a damage stat on it just like all the other 3 classes and there there Mojo, Source and Quiver. I think it would be a good idea if or when blizzard introduce's new legends into the game : )
Edited by Nixsta#6924 on 4/13/2013 4:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 07:02 PMPosted by voluptuary
STORMSHIELD should roll +INT or +DEX like it does +STR. Barbs aren't the only ones who could use a nice 34% block shield.
I agree this would be best
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]