Diablo® III

Need computer geeks/gurus for best deal onRAM

90 Dwarf Paladin
What's up everyone? As the post says, I am looking for some of you guys that know a lot about internet deals and can link me to a site to get the best price on some new RAM. I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 1545 from 2GB RAM to 8GB RAM. I ran the RAM test from crucial.com and I need DDR-PC2-5300 or 6400. I'm trying to find a package for 2x4GB bc that's all my computer can handle. The best prices I'm finding for a 2x4GB RAM for my laptop is about $150. Can any of you guys help out if you know a better price or website? I have been using amazon. I appreciate the help.
Reply Quote
http://www.downloadmoreram.com/
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I appreciate the help but I don't see how that could work.. I need to replace the physical hardware. I downloaded the 4GB option but I still only have 2GB of RAM on my computer properties.
Reply Quote
why do you need a ram upgrade is your memory maxing out in your performance monitor in the Task Manager?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
That is what I need to check but I have another question. If I have 2 1GB RAM pieces and I replace one of them with a 4GB piece will I get 5GB or do I have to put in a pair of the same amount of RAM?
Reply Quote
04/05/2013 08:03 PMPosted by Fistymcgee
That is what I need to check but I have another question. If I have 2 1GB RAM pieces and I replace one of them with a 4GB piece will I get 5GB or do I have to put in a pair of the same amount of RAM?

you can have odd numbers of GB but their timings will be completely different which might actually end up slowing your computer down but have a larger memory capacity due to access times needing to synchronize in order to fetch things and execute them properly otherwise if that isn't in place you'll have random leaks everywhere

but your operating system handles that for you automatically and sets them at it's most basic performance (like the slowest/safest setting by itself, will normally choose the older slower RAM that's installed) unless you want to go into the BIOS and manually set them yourself... which is dangerous unless you know what you're doing.

Best chance of no problems going on is just same timing of same RAM, and make sure its the same type. (DDR2 =/= DDR3 =/= DDRwhateverhere) Motherboards only support 1 type of RAM.

But it's best to stay in POWERS of 2. Multiples of 2 is fine too, just make sure the RAM has the same timing... (e.g. DDR3-1333 CL 9 9 9 24 and DDR3-2133 CL 11 11 27 they probably have to sync up at a slower/faster timing that one can go so the CL 11 11 27 will probably have to go down to 9 9 9 24 or even lower if your system can't handle that or something. I don't remember the math around it zz you'd get much more info from a hardware forum then me or here. Like just.. choose 1 timing the CL and those 3 numbers are their timing)
1 2 4 8 16 32. etc. GB
If you're running a 32 bit operating system there's no point going beyond 4GB.
(2^32 = 4294967296 = 4GB)
Also if it's a 32-bit OS (like Windows XP) it won't even register if you go above 4GB.

---------------- More info ----------------
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-RAM-Timings/26/2
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 4/6/2013 12:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I truly appreciate the advice, I think I'm going to get 2x2GB and see how that works.. I talked with a dude at best buy and he said SC2, WoW, and D3 shouldn't need more than 4GB of RAM
Reply Quote
04/06/2013 01:02 AMPosted by Fistymcgee
I truly appreciate the advice, I think I'm going to get 2x2GB and see how that works.. I talked with a dude at best buy and he said SC2, WoW, and D3 shouldn't need more than 4GB of RAM

They don't. Just run your task manager click the Performance Tab
Bottom left it says Memory. if that thing isn't peaking at the top while playing there really isn't a point. Do note that the longer you run a game the more memory it will eat up though. And the more things happening during a game the higher it will go due to resources it needs to fetch while playing if things are happening. A good way to benchmark is to actually play a game with higher specs than the games you mentioned and see if it lags or runs out of memory/crashes. if it doesn't you're probably gold.

Don't ask me why D3 eats up so much memory and processing power. You'll have to ask the developers about that. For a game so low poly and low-end catered there is no reason why it requires such huge specs as listed on their page. My friend can literally play TERA on their !@#$ty laptop but cannot run D3 at ALL.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 4/6/2013 1:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
well depending on your motherboard your motherboard will only support a number gigs of ram. and depending on your cpu it will do the same but it will add speeds too. so if your cpu supports 1600 ram which is the highest for your cpu and you get 1866 ram its going to knock that down. so you just lost performance for price. im not sure if your ddr2 or ddr3. just thought id add this if it hasnt been added cause thats alot of reading :P
Reply Quote
The Inspiron 1545 will take up to 2 x 4gb ram, PC2-6400 speed. This can be had from Kingston for $87. Model is KVR800D2S6K2/4G. Should be about the same price everywhere.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]