Diablo® III

SOJ + SNS tests

I tested a 6% damage, 30 bonus elite, 7%cc twister SOJ against my "baseline" set up with a trifecta rare ring (in my profile). Ghom9 was my test subject, 10 kills with each set up and averaged.

Here are my stats, both set ups with the enchantress with only the 3% IAS activated. I need the 3% IAS to hit 2.74APS with the SOJ.

Ghom MP9 HP = 98,875,288

Baseline Gear: 271,402 Sheet DPS, 55.5%cc, 2.89APS, 406% CD
Test Numbers (Average of 10 kills)
Kill Time: 52.73 seconds
eDPS: 1,875,151
eMulti: 6.91

6%/30e/7cc SOJ Gear: 227,739 Sheet DPS, 49.50% sheet CC (56.5% Twister CC), 2.74APS, 375% CD
Test Numbers (Average of 10 kills)
Kill Time: 44.37
eDPS: 2,228,642
eMulti: 9.79

So, I'm calculating a 18.85% eDPS increase over my "Baseline Gear" set up, even though I lose sheet DPS from the SOJ. eMulti is almost 3x over my SNS multi.

So my conclusion is, if you can keep the requisite APS you want, and EHP by using a SOJ, it's a huge eDPS increase. I think it's only worthwhile if your DPS is high enough that there's no noticeable difference in killing trash between MP8 or MP10.

I also did some tests on non-perfect SOJ's.
A 5% ele, 30e, 6cc twister SOJ is about equivalent to a 6%, 29e, 7cc twister SOJ. The multi diff is only about .4%. So if you're looking at buying one, go for 5/6% ele, 29/30e, 6/7%cc twister SOJ's. 5/29/6 will be the best bang for your buck.
Reply Quote
This is really good info. Thanks for putting this together!

Am I safe in concluding that the elemental type doesn't matter?
Reply Quote
I've been using a 6% cold, 30% elites, 10% Blades SOJ for a while now in my archon setup and the synergy with cold blooded / blades / and my buriza scoundrel has dramatically increased my run times. I would suggest anyone who can take the ehp hit take a hard look at SOJ
Reply Quote
For SNS, correct, elemental damage type does not matter.

Also, for trash mobs on high MP, I go Deep Freeze, so that equalizes the DPS loss a little when going from non-SOJ to SOJ.
Reply Quote
This is really good info. Thanks for putting this together!

Am I safe in concluding that the elemental type doesn't matter?

It only matters if you are using spectral blades. (obviously doesn't matter for SNS).
Reply Quote
Very impressive Junger! Trayen must be verry happy to see this.
Reply Quote
It is very cost challenging to use SOJ without dropping yr existing BP & CC.
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Shaymous
I would suggest anyone who can take the ehp hit take a hard look at SOJ

Agreed. That's always been my problem, namely that I never want to drop the EHP. For CMWW it's a bit harder to fit in because you have to drop IAS from that slot. For a lot of us we prefer dropping IAS from amulet to get extra dps so for people like me, it's probably not worthwhile since the char sheet dps loss will probably exceed the effective dps gained against elites. For those who have a slot without IAS on their rings, it's a great idea though.
Reply Quote
It is very cost challenging to use SOJ without dropping yr existing BP & CC.

I totally agree with that for 2.74APS. I'll grab some gear to go down to 2.51 APS and 50CC to see what the results are this weekend. But I think the results will still be the same, a higher eMulti but at a much more affordable cost.
Reply Quote
char sheet dps loss will probably exceed the effective dps gained against elites. .

I think numbers wise, a SOJ will always outperform the raw sheet of non-SOJ rings, but it's the reitemization requirement of LOH/EHP for giong SOJ.

I dropped 43K sheet DPS, but effective gained 51K eDPS (over my baseline stats).
Reply Quote
Loreose, are you on the PTR? My copy cooldown is up in an hour and you can try my gear if you want to do some testing.
Reply Quote
No, I'm not on the ptr. The issue with char sheet dps loss wasn't just swapping rings it was swapping from trifecta ring+CC/CD ammy to Soj+CC/IAS ammy. To take me for example, I could drop my ring and use a 8.5/9/59 trifecta ammy but with a 5% SoJ I lose 56k dps. If I add back 30% from the soj I'm still down some 6k dps. A CC WW will make up at least some of that so best case for me it'll just break even, at the loss of 60k EHP.

Also, one issue with using chantress is that if she dies you lose the attack speed buff. In your tests did she ever die? That can change the results.

Finally, thanks for the info and taking the time to average over so many runs.
Reply Quote
She never died, I only gave her an Herb with 900+LOH, nothing else, I think the nerfed the gas effect on NPC's a while ago too.

I'm not a math guy, but if I use my SNS multi of 6.91, and my eDPS 2,228,642 of the SOJ, I get "sheet" dps equivalent to 322K. So if I compared that to my baseline stat set up, I gain 51K "sheet" dps, which is more than 30% eDPS....

Try on the PTR!
Reply Quote
@Junger: I definitely concur with you on the SoJ being excellent if you have some wiggle room on the IAS breakpoints, and EHP. I've long used one of my monk, and I recently bought one to try for my wizard like three weeks ago. And it does a pretty good job too! This is actually part of the reason HoTa Barbs appear to have such a ridiculously high DPS multiplier, as most of them are using a SoJ.
Reply Quote
yeah i simulated some gear swaps in d3up to fit a soj and using my cc with 99 cd ammy it was just impossible to come out ahead coz i had to drop the ammy in order to get the ias back, was testing with my old tricross btw.

I Simulated with a good tri ammy with int and then yeah i came out miles ahead... but then id have to get that sort of ammy...... not viable unless i get very lucky crafting.
Reply Quote
YES! The test results I have been waiting for. I knew this would show evident in the actual multiplier of persay a Ghom test, and apparently it has! Thanks for the time it took for you to test Junger, and for reporting back. I would have tested myself but it seemed trivial to fully regear my Wizzy just to test and possibly fail. Now I really may set out on my mission for a true SOJ SNS wiz :D
Reply Quote
I've been struggling with my love of SOJ and +skill items. I always feel I am missing more when I use them because those items usually lack core stats and AS/CC/CD.

I think for Twister, SOJ makes sense because you are also getting 6-7 critical chance for Twister.

Other +skills that do +Damage may not be worth it as much because you lose out on potential AS/CD/CC. Your Wizard may need that CC to get arcane power back.

Very good test. Thanks!!!

By the way, what does eMulti: 9.79 mean? eMulti?
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 4/12/2013 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Now, the real question is, is SOJ worth if for fighting non-elites? I am very lazy... I hate swapping rings. T_T
Reply Quote
elite target Multi.

Edit: and yes, I only tested with Energy Twister SOJ's because that fuels the spec. For me, losing the crit from my rare ring (6%) makes a huge difference on a lot of things, APOC procs, Shocking Aspect procs, etc.

Another type of SOJ may give you a higher eMulti, but at the cost of needing more EHP/APOC.
Edited by Junger#1623 on 4/12/2013 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 11:25 AMPosted by Jibikao
Now, the real question is, is SOJ worth if for fighting non-elites? I am very lazy... I hate swapping rings. T_T

That's part of my conclusion, if white trash feels no different on whatever MP you're tackling, it's worth it.

One way to make up for the DPS is taking Deep Freeze if it feels "slower". Because on trash, you're most likely fighting 5 targets to get the buff. While on elites, you may or may not get the buff, but if you do....even better with the SOJ effect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]