Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" Round 2: Itemization - Answers (Part 2)

Thank you for the Q/A answers.

are you still planning on a transmog type feature?

This is where white items could be useful.
Reply Quote
My mam allways told me that if I had nothing nice to say, to just not say anything at all...

So I will.
Reply Quote
dear devs,

mf and gf feel mandatory but you dont want that? okay. lets talk about trifecta, allres, armor and mainstats! let's make those not feel mandatory too please.

kthx!
Reply Quote
This is my conspiracy theory:
I suspect there is a lot of bureaucracy at work here. They are buried in cash and want to keep it that way. The best way to do this is to keep less expensive employees working out the kinks, then hiring on temp coders to implement every 3 or 4 months.

Blizzard won't comment about internal hiring practices, but working in the video game industry myself, I am pretty sure that while testers are usually temps, coders are not.
Reply Quote
[/quote]

Travis:

For example, adding a socket to an item as the result of a one-time quest reward feels really awesome, but over time it starts to become more of a burden instead of a benefit. When you have to level a new character through the entire game just so you can socket the new cool weapon you want to use, the shine starts to wear off really fast.

[/quote]

Leveling a new character is called replay-ability.

Why would I NOT want to level a new character to get a bonus socket. That would be basically the only reason I would currently start a new character, and is a HUGE bonus for doing so. Starting a new character in D2 was the best part In my opinion, now in D3 there is simply no reason to.

If low lvl sets and legendaries were actually attainable through play instead of the AH, this could be a huge reason for people to keep playing the game. The beginning of the game is a lot of fun.

Having an "add socket" through this means would also be a great way for those of us that don't win the 200m slot machine to be able to actually get some gold to buy gear as well.

Time invested=Pay out instead of Time invested=Jack S***
Edited by BlankEclipse#1945 on 4/8/2013 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Q. Can class-specific items please have guaranteed class-specific stats?

- Dispirit#1859 (Americas [English])

Travis: Class specific items can sometimes fall into a weird place. For example, you're playing your Demon Hunter, you see a Rare quiver on the ground, you identify it, and BAM! +300 Strength. At this point, you're probably thinking (or even saying aloud) "Why is that even possible?!"

While we feel that randomness is an incredibly important aspect of Diablo games, we also agree that players need to feel like their next great item is just around the corner. Items can roll many stats that may not be valuable to the player who finds them, and that's fine—but most items should feel like they could be good for someone.

Quivers rolling their primary stat as Strength doesn't really play any role here; however, we don’t want to remove randomness completely and have it be a forgone conclusion that every quiver you pick up will roll with the exact stats you want. While we are changing it so that class specific items can't roll the primary value of a different class's stat, that doesn't mean you will never see +Strength on a quiver. What it does mean is you will only see +Strength on a quiver if it came as part of a Dex/Str affix or a Str/Vit affix, which is providing some benefit (even if not ideal) to the class the item is intended for.

I get this for non class specific items I really do. Unfortunately the only time you want Stats like that are on items that have a desirable other stat like AS on chest (Tal's)and pants ( Inna's movement speed)comes from a set designed for a certain class and other classes want them. (should be fixed with more desireable affixes IMO) you want those str/vita rolls or dex/vita or int/vita. But really and I mean it should be obvious you never ever want to see Str/Int rolls, or Dex/Int rolls for anything. Until you make those stats more beneficial to classes outside of the ones that use them you just don't want to see them ever. I may rather see Dex/Str affix over +Armor, but +Armor should be of more benefit to remove that.

When you look at class specific and you have to choose between the many undesireable affixes you can randomly roll the best thing that you can do is eliminate the ones that are just plain terrible. It doesn't take a comittee to see that it doesn't make sense. You simply have too many undesireable affixes among a few that are almost always necessary to make an item alright.

Try as I might to make a character that doesn't rely entirely on stacking the TRI stats you simply have to in order to get to the higher game difficulties in order to Paragon level at a non-insanely slow rate. Look I may have preached it a time or two in the monk forums, but there are clear and easy improvements to be done to existing stats to make them more desireable and they will also make builds more viable.

Look at my monk either here or http://d3up.com/b/454693#gear (have to activate blazing fist, foresight, overawe, combination strike, enchantress to really see what my dmg is like and look at WotHF dmg specifically because of the affix stacking)

What I've done is use an uncommon affix to make something almost as viable as I can without stacking crit damage or going with too insane an amount of crit or attack speed. Buff those affixes. Buff the spirit regen affix or other affixes and maybe for non-class specific items make a new affix that adds +X% to resource generation and make mods that are either/or, either crit/or +%weapon damage, either crit damage/or +% to max dex/str/vita(along the same lines as +%life), either attack speed/or +%to Resource generation.

Stop having these debates and discussions and have an actual solid answer for something. Stop trying to pander to us by saying something in a round about way. Just say we argue too much and we can't make up our minds about anything as developers and be done with it.
Edited by Duskmourn#1569 on 4/8/2013 12:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Travis:
For example, adding a socket to an item as the result of a one-time quest reward feels really awesome, but over time it starts to become more of a burden instead of a benefit. When you have to level a new character through the entire game just so you can socket the new cool weapon you want to use, the shine starts to wear off really fast.

NOT TRUE. This actually encouraged people to start new characters in a positive way! I know not a single person who complained about that. You should look at things also from more positive perspective.

In full agreement with the above poster.

This is precisely why valuable items become valuable--not just the actual value but the sentimental value that item might have to any given player. Lets say you finally find a weapon with high dps, crit damage and life steal. Do you think playing up to inferno with a new character is going to stop someone in their right mind from putting a socket in that item?
Reply Quote
No answers,
No decision,
No roadmap...

Nothing but wind...

I cannot say anything else... this is kinda ridiculous.

We are waiting for some PTR for features they we were supposed to have or tested way before.

And in the case of itemization, I just think they aren't enough people working behind the desks... even if they could bring us good changes to make the game better, these changes are far from being enough. So many features and simple additions to the game should have been there like 7 months ago. I thing they should hire some streamers or known players to get real feedback and start working on the important things that could make the game a GREAT game. This game as so much potential but there are so many issues that makes it boring...

And the worst in that is that I must play if I want to stay efficient but still...If I don't play the AH I will just find useless legendaries...

I got a great example for you, yesterday : one litany ring and 2 tal chests back to back... I couldn't believe it because I've never found tal chest before...

so the ring had minimum damage +21, worth of 450k gold
first tal chest - % gold
second one - rege life 183

How can I invest my time in farming when I find so much garbage even if those items have good chances to be good-godly -.-
Reply Quote
all you whining babies are so annoying

i hope blizz doesnt do anymore of those ATD's...

so many negative comments.. you people dont deserve anything at all if all u do is cry
Reply Quote
all you whining babies are so annoying

i hope blizz doesnt do anymore of those ATD's...

so many negative comments.. you people dont deserve anything at all if all u do is cry

at least we don't sit around all day discussing whether or not we'd like to actually cry, and how implementing crying might affect things in unforseen ways, and how we're really looking forward to crying but can't actually promise to do it yet
Reply Quote
If I may not-so-humbly ask: Can you please answer my two questions:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197580149?page=17#327

I spent a good amount of time thinking up some ideas in this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8087089823?page=21#410 and created a "new" wizard set. Will there be new set and legendary items since the consensus there is currently not a big selection to choose from in the near future?

Second Question: Concerning the expansion, are there currently plans to bring back runes and/or charms a la diablo 2? Is that even being considered? There seems to be a lot of fans that would like to see them back (see http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8156095894#6)

K Thx!

edit: since it seems that there will be new legendary and set items, when will we see them and about how many will there be? And will any of the ideas we gave in this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8087089823?page=21#410 be incorporated into the new set and legendary items?
Edited by Balthazar#1650 on 4/8/2013 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How did these non-answers take the ten thousand years since round 1
Reply Quote
04/08/2013 10:02 AMPosted by Fizzmopper
TLDR: We're still discussing everything and can't provide solid answers to any of your questions at this time.

Exactly this.

Blizzard, your brainstormings are brainless.
Reply Quote
04/08/2013 12:14 PMPosted by Rooder
How did these non-answers take the ten thousand years since round 1
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
04/08/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
Elemental damage is something we are actively trying to find a good solution for. The stat already exists in the game, but currently it's just six different flavors of the same affix—Cold is the only exception in that it snares targets. One thing we are actively discussing is what kind of effects we could associate with each element and then add it not only to weapons but all damage sources of that type. We haven't finalized anything just yet, but we really want to make this happen.

I'd love for this to happen. All the damage can stay roughly the same, and have each have an additional effect.

Arcane: slows attacks/reduces attack or cast speed
Fire: additional short DoT(burning for 2-4 seconds) that can stack, or disarms
Poison: additional long DoT(poisoned for 10-12 seconds), or increased damage debuff
Lightning: chance to stun
Cold: snare, maybe chance to freeze
Holy: chance to heal
Physical: chance to knockback, or bleed
Reply Quote
04/08/2013 12:02 PMPosted by Duskmourn
Look at my monk either here or http://d3up.com/b/454693#gear (have to activate blazing fist, foresight, overawe, combination strike, enchantress to really see what my dmg is like and look at WotHF dmg specifically because of the affix stacking)

buff buff buff buff buff. Your dps sucks.
Reply Quote
Also, while not strictly related to itemization, could someone from blizzard address the plummeting value of commodities (gold on RMAH, brimstone prices, etc?)
Reply Quote
Blizz, Blizz, Blizz.

Well, i really dont know what to say here. Really , what i see, is the same thing we have seen over the last year already. Buncha talk, buncha indecision, and a buncha nothing.

And that close to three weeks to post?

Cmon guys. Im finding it very hard to believe you guys really care about the game itself, as much as you claim, when a company as big as yourself, is being outshined bya 20 man dev team, by the name of GGG.

These guys dump out two, three patches a week, with new content, bug fixes, balance changes, new microtransactions, etc, etc.

I like this game Blizz, but it could be so much better. You need to shelter your ego, and just get it done.
Reply Quote
Quit a while ago but came to see the circus after reading a post on FB, just to make you guys aware they are spending more time taking stupid pictures that probably took 20 tries to get right rather than working on your game... see for yourself...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151349927756641&set=a.213243671640.137416.157102206640&type=1&theater
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]