Diablo® III

What are Humans??

04/08/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Shaman
THAT WOULD BE COOL

I concur. The only thing I wonder about is how we would go about destroying the host of heaven? Only a few seem to be left alive and most are on our side. They do seem to be like musical harmony or something and would likely regenerate or something though, so that's something to work with, as well as some of those long lost angels. Imperious would make for a good enemy given his nature, but many other angels would have to find their way out of the woodwork somehow. I know it can be done as lore consistency has never bothered Blizzard too much (I'm looking at you Warcraft 3, you forever soured me on one of my favorite series), but I'm interested to find out how exactly they would go about it. =)
Reply Quote
So humans/nephalem are going to get stronger.

That plays right into more playable classes/followers in expansion.

Bul kathos should have an awesome cameo or be SUMMONABLE!!

Bring back Necro pls.

Pls Pls Pls include Kingsport!!!!!!!!

ANTI PALADINS!!! think about it. <evil grin>
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I was doing some browsing through the items and this word kept coming up...."Humans".
What are they? Are they anything like Nephalems? Any clarification would be appreciated.
I reached out to our lore team for a more precise answer to this question, and the answer has quite a bit of depth! In brief, humans are the descendants of the first nephalem.

Basically, when angels and demons intermingle, their offspring are nephalem – and they are incredibly powerful beings that are long lived, if not eternal, and have the potential to be stronger than either their angelic or demonic heritage. Before and following the Sin War, the nephalem interbred, and their children were also nephalem – and so it continued for several generations.

After discovering Lilith’s betrayal, the Archangel Inarius (who had been Lilith’s lover) tuned the Worldstone to suppress the powers of the nephalem. Because of this, each successive generation of nephalem thereafter became less and less powerful. After enough generations, their magical powers disappeared, and they became weak, mortal creatures that could die easily. Soon they spread to be great in number – these were humans.

Humans still have the latent nephalem potential in them – indeed our hero characters in Diablo III are nephalem – perhaps because of the destruction of the Worldstone years earlier. But most humans are just that – weak mortals.

Here are some excerpts from Diablo III: Book of Cain that might shed a bit more light:

The first generations of nephalem were called the ancients. It is believed that they set out exploring, seeking answers, attempting to understand their curious world, and that they adopted numerous philosophies as they spread across Sanctuary.

Lilith, the first mother of the nephalem, was driven into a mad frenzy by the threat of her children’s extinction. She morphed into a far more horrific form than any had ever seen—of tooth and claw, of spike and blade—and hunted down her fellow renegades. She ruthlessly murdered each and every follower of Inarius, leaving only him to discover the carnage she had wrought.

Inarius was horrified by the loss of his comrades and the terrible deed that his lover had committed. Though enraged, he could not bring himself to kill Lilith, but instead banished her from the sanctuary they had made.

Inarius then attuned the Worldstone to cause the powers of the nephalem to diminish over time. He then disappeared—though some say that he still walks amongst us in a form more closely resembling our own.

Years became decades, and then centuries, leading to millennia of time elapsed.

Generations of nephalem, even with the remarkably long lives they were said to have possessed, passed away. With each generation, those events which might have been truth turned to legend, eventually settling into myth. The angels and demons faded from consciousness. The nephalem themselves slowly became mere mortals not unlike ourselves.

Humankind began to populate the world. As with its nephalem ancestors, humanity set about building cities of its own and collecting knowledge from the far corners of Sanctuary.
Reply Quote
Here are some excerpts from Diablo III: Book of Cain that might shed a bit more light:

ohoho i have this book. it was an exciting and wonderful read.
Reply Quote

I've never seen this much effort put into a blue post before, and it's all been for some type of lore.
This is a serious question that has to be answered. Has Diablo 3 just been put away by Blizzard as a failure and forgotten?

Nope, they just almost never answer lore questions in the forums, the vast majority of their time is addressing game issues and player suggestions/complaints. Maybe Vale just really enjoys the lore and wanted to put some extra effort into the post to make it truly complete. In any event, it's not like he was going to be developing the game with that same time.
Reply Quote
View profile
I've never seen this much effort put into a blue post before, and it's all been for some type of lore.

This is a serious question that has to be answered. Has Diablo 3 just been put away by Blizzard as a failure and forgotten?

Seriously, the amount of depth that was put into this answer is astounding. There have not been anything close to such an answer in reference aspects of the Diablo 3 game itself.
Reply Quote

Seriously, the amount of depth that was put into this answer is astounding. There have not been anything close to such an answer in reference aspects of the Diablo 3 game itself.

Not trying to be too derogatory but complaining about a good response about lore may very well be the last response you get about it. Vale might think she's sharing something she truly enjoys with you guys and because it's not about the game, it's turned into a feud.

Yes the game needs a lot of work. Yes I also don't play near as much as I used to. But the lore is still awsome and should be enjoyed just the same right?

It could also mean that next time she or any blue will think twice about posting anything not related to the gameplay, drops, mechanics etc.
Reply Quote
theres actual lore in the game? i thought it was just about beating monsters up and picking up the stuff they drop
Reply Quote
Ah the book of cain it was a pleasure to read
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 12:14 AMPosted by dexxy
theres actual lore in the game? i thought it was just about beating monsters up and picking up the stuff they drop

1. Sarcasm
2. Stupidity

Hope the answer is 1
Edited by CoupDeGrace#1595 on 4/9/2013 7:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm shocked at the negative responses to this blue post. As someone who is usually more interested in game mechanics myself, I found this post to be extremely interesting and I'm very happy that Vale went through the trouble to put it together.

For the amount of talk about Nephalem in Diablo 3, I never felt like I had much more understanding than "Nephalem were powerful beings that died out long ago". I'm glad to have a better understanding of the backstory.
Reply Quote
04/08/2013 06:56 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Inarius then attuned the Worldstone to cause the powers of the nephalem to diminish over time. He then disappeared—though some say that he still walks amongst us in a form more closely resembling our own.

Could Covetus Shen possibly be Inarius "in a form more closely resembling our own." ?
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 08:05 AMPosted by Bricktop

Could Covetus Shen possibly be Inarius "in a form more closely resembling our own." ?

You know that makes a lot of cense. In his lore it states.

"he is searching for a particularly rare gem, one he suspects you may have an eventual hand in finding."

Could he possibly be looking for some kind of soulstone/gem that he desperately wants to slam into his forehead?

P.S. Vae if your still following this thread I am still very curious if you could touch on how the Bonus vs humans/nephalem/elites/talking meatsacks that got linked in the OP will be iterated in the upcoming item changes.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
04/09/2013 08:53 AMPosted by Spaceghost

You know that makes a lot of cense. In his lore it states.

"he is searching for a particularly rare gem, one he suspects you may have an eventual hand in finding."

Could he possibly be looking for some kind of soulstone/gem that he desperately wants to slam into his forehead?

P.S. Vae if your still following this thread I am still very curious if you could touch on how the Bonus vs humans/nephalem/elites/talking meatsacks that got linked in the OP will be iterated in the upcoming item changes.
At the present time, we don’t have any details on how/if the bonus to humans may be iterated upon in the upcoming itemization changes.

Lorewise, if something is a clear mystery up until this point, I’m not really at the liberty to divulge any juicy answers, but I’m happy to now and then offer clarification on existing lore if I’m able to. We realize that not everyone cares about game lore, and that’s totally fine. I personally dig Diablo lore, so I am keen to jump in now and then on these types of threads. :) The reality is: posting in a thread like this also in no way slows development on the gameplay aspects of Diablo III we’re currently working on.

As a point of clarification that I feel needs to be said: I’m not a developer, I’m a Community Manager just like it says on the left-hand side there. While the vast, and I mean vast majority of the threads I post in pertain to gameplay in one manner or another, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t loads of other topics being eagerly discussed by players (such as lore), and it certainly doesn’t mean that I’ll be dissuaded by posting in them as well. There’s a lot that goes into Diablo, including everything from gameplay, through to art, lore, sound, cinematics, and more, and they all come together as a whole to create the Diablo series. I simply tend to post in gameplay threads more often because those are commonly the most prevalent discussions taking place here on the forums. But they’re not the only discussions.

As a note that some of your lore aficionados might enjoy: I happen to know that many of your lore-filled discussions are indeed watched by … interested parties … on this end as well. >;)
Reply Quote
I happen to know that many of your lore-filled discussions are indeed watched by … interested parties … on this end as well. >;)

o.O
>.>
<.<

...haaaaaaaaaalp.....
Reply Quote
I've played through the game a few times, I almost have 4 level 60's and one at paragon 35.

I still don't know how I became a Nephalem even after trying to pay attention to game NPCs explain it through all the quests through one entire playthrough to 60 (on my monk).

Could you clarify?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]