Diablo® III

What are Humans??

I think you always were a Nephalem, you just don't know it to begin with. Some of the other NPC's however recognise you for what you are and eventually you come to believe it yourself.
Reply Quote
I've played through the game a few times, I almost have 4 level 60's and one at paragon 35.

I still don't know how I became a Nephalem even after trying to pay attention to game NPCs explain it through all the quests through one entire playthrough to 60 (on my monk).

Could you clarify?

Basically, your parents (angel and demon) got drunk and intermingled.
Reply Quote
Okay lore wise as a Barbarian you can talk to tyrael about the worldstone but the barbarian seems to not know what happened there, i was under the assumption that he was the barb from diablo 2 and you were there to kill baal. is there something im missing?
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 11:43 AMPosted by Bloo
Okay lore wise as a Barbarian you can talk to tyrael about the worldstone but the barbarian seems to not know what happened there, i was under the assumption that he was the barb from diablo 2 and you were there to kill baal. is there something im missing?

The original barb became crazy rich and famous after pwning Baal. He is currently semi-retired from being the spokes person for "Gold's Auction house gym" and he currently resides in Kingsport where he owns a chain of GNC shops.
Reply Quote
"The Nephalem are the first generation of humans on Sanctuary. They are also known as Sanctuary's Children in the Sin War books. The Nephalem are the direct offspring of angels and demons, with the potential to be even greater than both. It is believed that such beings as Bul-Kathos, Rathma, and Esu, to name a few, are the first Nephalem to be born, and that their children are the current barbarians, necromancers, and sorceresses whom we know today in the Diablo universe.
Due to the Worldstone, the Nephalem's power has been slowly drained with each generation, therefore making any new offspring weaker and weaker. This was thwarted by the hero Uldyssian, who changed the essence of the Worldstone, allowing the Nephalem to tap into their powers. This is why the current Barbarians, Wizards, Demon Hunters, Monks, and Witch Doctors can tap into their powers. With the Worldstone destroyed though, no one yet knows how its disappearance may affect the warriors of the land. Supposedly the destruction of the Worldstone would allow the Nephalem to resurface and Act 1 in Diablo 3 seems to support this." (diablo.wikia.com)

Personally I like the biblical version as Nephalem being half angel half human but this is still pretty cool ;0)
Reply Quote
I've played through the game a few times, I almost have 4 level 60's and one at paragon 35.

I still don't know how I became a Nephalem even after trying to pay attention to game NPCs explain it through all the quests through one entire playthrough to 60 (on my monk).

Could you clarify?

You were born after the destruction of the worldstone that -among other things- was modified to surpress a huge part of the powers of humans/nephalem(if the powers are not reduced youre a neph, else you are a human) basicly depending on the time of your birth (the later the worse, unless the stone is already destroyed).
Edited by Kämpfer13#2523 on 4/9/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Parnold
Personally I like the biblical version as Nephalem being half angel half human but this is still pretty cool ;0)

Just for the sake of keeping more in line with the religious context this game's lore is pulled from it would've been nice if we were playing as Nephilim instead, but I guess I'm fine with it either way. The way they decided to portray them simply keeps the game more fantasy as opposed to strictly being some sort of religious fan fiction. =P
Reply Quote
Community Manager

Could you clarify?
After the destruction of the Worldstone (which occurred prior to the start of Diablo III), each person was born with a chance of being a nephalem, both magically and physically stronger than regular humans. So it wasn’t that your character underwent a physical transformation to turn from a human into a nephalem, it was simply that your hero was born that way. But since at face value humans and the historic nephalem look similar in physical appearance, it likely wasn’t until adolescence or later that they became fully aware of just how “different” they were from their peers.

In other, rarer cases, a human who undergoes extreme physical or emotional trauma can tap into the latent nephalem potential inherent in all humans. This (extremely rare,) occurrence is another effect of the Worldstone’s destruction. Again, this is not so much a transformation into something new, as someone realizing their full potential.

The reason your hero is unaware of the details pertaining to the Worldstone’s destruction is because the Barbarian you play in Diablo III is not the same hero from Diablo II. Also, twenty years have passed between the events of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and the start of Diablo III, so much of what transpired is not common knowledge.
Reply Quote
so every playable character in diablo 3 is under 20 years old?
Reply Quote
I like how the status says it's up when it's clearly not; nice job Blizz.
Reply Quote
The reason your hero is unaware of the details pertaining to the Worldstone’s destruction is because the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/barbarian/"]Barbarian [/url]you play in Diablo III is not the same hero from Diablo II. Also, twenty years have passed between the events of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and the start of Diablo III, so much of what transpired is not common knowledge.[/quote]

So just to break balls, if it is not the same barbarian and only after the World Stone was destroyed can humans be born Nephalem then why is he so old? Obviously more than 40 years old. AND why would he not remember the destruction of his homeland only 20 years ago which change his life dramatically?

There should be a Lore how all Barbarians got traumatic memory loss after the World Stone was destroyed! lol.
Reply Quote
Most people only care about gameplay and the changes that effect drops, etc.. The team needs to spend more time making the game perfect from those aspects. If a Barb was a little square-like Atari figure it would be fine with me as long as the game was incredible.
Reply Quote
The reason your hero is unaware of the details pertaining to the Worldstone’s destruction is because the Barbarian you play in Diablo III is not the same hero from Diablo II. Also, twenty years have passed between the events of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and the start of Diablo III, so much of what transpired is not common knowledge.

Yet the male barbarian is older (by his own admission, IIRC - maybe in one of the enchantress lines of dialogue?), and I would suspect that an event at the ancient homeland of his people would be "common knowledge" for all of the clans, especially after two decades. Besides, nobody in the game acts like it's a shock that the Worldstone was destroyed. If news traveled that slowly, shouldn't the far-flung monks and wizards be patently horrified? The news about the fallen star seems to have reached everyone quickly enough...

I suppose I don't buy that answer; maybe I'm missing something?
Reply Quote
they run this game on a PAPer Server
Reply Quote
LoL the news of the fallen star, that's right word did travel fast!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]