Diablo® III

What are Humans??

According to Jay Wilson, the Barbarian in D3 IS the same one from D2.

http://www.diablowiki.net/WWI_2008:_Denizens_of_Diablo_Panel

Barbarian

How we approached d3 design. Barbarian concept. This is actually the same char from Diablo 2. He's aged twenty years, and he's got a personality. Look at his gear; his armor has points on which he could impale himself. It's extra protection for the harsh environment, but it's also dangerous to him. The day to day life they have to lead is very hard.

Updating a classic. The Barbarian was exciting for us to work on. To take a classic char we all love to play, and bring him back to life. What's this guy been doing for the past 20 years? As Leonard was saying, this guy's 8 feet tall and 300 lbs of tall pure muscle. He saw stuff in d2 that would kill most people. Giving him some age, graying his hair, giving him some scars. What Leonard and Jay wanted to accomplish, we pulled that together with how we wanted to sell the story visually. Scars, gray hair, how he wears his armor. All that helps us tell the story visually.
Reply Quote
You just barely beat me to it.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 03:05 PMPosted by Vaeflare
After the destruction of the Worldstone (which occurred prior to the start of Diablo III), each person was born with a chance of being a nephalem, both magically and physically stronger than regular humans. So it wasn’t that your character underwent a physical transformation to turn from a human into a nephalem, it was simply that your hero was born that way.

But the heroes in Diablo 3 definitely weren't born in the past 20 years...
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 03:53 PMPosted by SOC
But the heroes in Diablo 3 definitely weren't born in the past 20 years...

I agree. The male WD looks very old. And he shakes.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't try to make too much sense of it all. The story in Diablo games has always had to play catch up with the gameplay and as such it's full of gaping holes.

At the time D1 came out nobody knew it would be a runaway success that warranted a sequel. They killed off the eponymous Diablo in the first game and had a problem on their hands.
Thus began a saga of retcons and resurrections and what not.

According to D2, the Nephelem were exclusive to Barbarians. They were Barbarian ancients that ascended to Godhood long ago.
Fast forward to D3, everyone is a dormant Nephelem.

There are no humans in the world of Sanctuary as they are all supposedly spawns of the angels and demons that originally built Sanctuary.
They are all Nephelem.
Edited by Saumil#6780 on 4/9/2013 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This barb wasn't aware of the what had happened to his homeland because he is a little "slow".
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee

Barbarian

How we approached d3 design. Barbarian concept. This is actually the same char from Diablo 2. He's aged twenty years, and he's got a personality. Look at his gear; his armor has points on which he could impale himself. It's extra protection for the harsh environment, but it's also dangerous to him. The day to day life they have to lead is very hard.

Updating a classic. The Barbarian was exciting for us to work on. To take a classic char we all love to play, and bring him back to life. What's this guy been doing for the past 20 years? As Leonard was saying, this guy's 8 feet tall and 300 lbs of tall pure muscle. He saw stuff in d2 that would kill most people. Giving him some age, graying his hair, giving him some scars. What Leonard and Jay wanted to accomplish, we pulled that together with how we wanted to sell the story visually. Scars, gray hair, how he wears his armor. All that helps us tell the story visually.
Jay’s statement was accurate when he made it, but during the development process we later revisited the idea and instead decided that our Diablo III heroes should be unique to Diablo III. Sure, you may see references to the exploits of past heroes scattered around Sanctuary, but this story belongs to a new group of heroes. :)
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Gulgoth
so every playable character in diablo 3 is under 20 years old?

Vaeflare screwed the pooch a little with that last comment regarding the "birth" of Nephalem after the Worldstone was destroyed, but the fact remains that all "Humans" are in fact Nephalem. It is simply a matter of them tapping back into their latent birthright as Angel/Demon spawn and becoming more powerful from there. While we might all want to think our characters are special in some crazy way, the simple fact of the lore is that if a banker in Kingsport went off on an adventure and began to learn to fight and what not, he'd eventually begin to recover his lost power as a Nephalem as well. =)

Edit: Also, our character classes all have the benefit of being warriors of some kind to begin with. It's not like the developers ever considered having you start out as an Innkeeper and you realizing your potential from there because it'd be wonky....or would it? ;)
Edited by Alexandros#1268 on 4/9/2013 4:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Jay’s statement was accurate when he made it, but during the development process we later revisited the idea and instead decided that our Diablo III heroes should be unique to Diablo III. Sure, you may see references to the exploits of past heroes scattered around Sanctuary, but this story belongs to a new group of heroes. :)

So it looks like the game wasn't the only thing that was rushed...
Reply Quote

This is what happens when developers can't make up their minds and you go through several story writers.

In this day and age with the internet and all that it can be so confusing. Also 20 years ago is not enough time for everyone to be born a nephal...what ever they are.

Should've kept it simple really (to avoid all the giant holes there are in the lore).
Reply Quote
I've played through the game a few times, I almost have 4 level 60's and one at paragon 35.

I still don't know how I became a Nephalem even after trying to pay attention to game NPCs explain it through all the quests through one entire playthrough to 60 (on my monk).

Could you clarify?
After the destruction of the Worldstone (which occurred prior to the start of Diablo III), each person was born with a chance of being a nephalem, both magically and physically stronger than regular humans. So it wasn’t that your character underwent a physical transformation to turn from a human into a nephalem, it was simply that your hero was born that way. But since at face value humans and the historic nephalem look similar in physical appearance, it likely wasn’t until adolescence or later that they became fully aware of just how “different” they were from their peers.

In other, rarer cases, a human who undergoes extreme physical or emotional trauma can tap into the latent nephalem potential inherent in all humans. This (extremely rare,) occurrence is another effect of the Worldstone’s destruction. Again, this is not so much a transformation into something new, as someone realizing their full potential.

04/09/2013 11:43 AMPosted by Bloo
Okay lore wise as a Barbarian you can talk to tyrael about the worldstone but the barbarian seems to not know what happened there, i was under the assumption that he was the barb from diablo 2 and you were there to kill baal. is there something im missing?
The reason your hero is unaware of the details pertaining to the Worldstone’s destruction is because the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/barbarian/"]Barbarian [/url]you play in Diablo III is not the same hero from Diablo II. Also, twenty years have passed between the events of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and the start of Diablo III, so much of what transpired is not common knowledge.

Cool thanks for clearing that up Vaeflare, was something that I kept wondering about for some time
Reply Quote
Thats great, that really is great. (slow sarcastic clap)

I am soooo glad you brought back ONLY the barbarian.

I am sure there is only 1 MAYBE 2 of us other people (we might be considered people ) which played D2 and would love to see the Necromancer brought back.

But thank god that Jay Wilson and his team know best and brought the Barbarian back instead.

*YEAAHH HOO-RAH!!!*

* runs down the street singing Weird al's i'm white and nerdy *

(yes i am fully aware he is not the head of this development team anymore)
Edited by AKBE#1637 on 4/9/2013 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
cultists and brigands. including gavin, kaymar, and zoltun kulle(somewhat nephalem, but nephalem are humans, but not all humans are nephalem. its like a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square)
Reply Quote
The reason your hero is unaware of the details pertaining to the Worldstone’s destruction is because the Barbarian you play in Diablo III is not the same hero from Diablo II. Also, twenty years have passed between the events of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and the start of Diablo III, so much of what transpired is not common knowledge.

I already typed a long response to this, but then it just disappeared when I clicked submit, this seems to happen a lot on these forums.. I wonder if it is my browser or this website...

I'll try to remember what I said I retype the main points:

*It is impossible for our Diablo 3 Barbarian hero to not know what occurred on Mt. Arreat unless (a) he has selective amnesia, (b) the Barbarian hero from Diablo 2 had selective amnesia/post traumatic stress disorder, (c) the Barbarian hero from Diablo 2 refused to share his story and never spoke of what occurred or (d) the Barbarian hero failed to travel through the portal and died in the explosion (or he survived but died almost immediately after the destruction of Mt. Arreat).

I have read some of the lore, but I admit I haven't read it all and I don't know if there are novels or not or other sources of information that I haven't read. But based upon what I do know, I'm going to analyze my own theories above in reverse order.

(d) The Barbarian hero who killed (or helped to kill) Baal died. This is very likely. This could have occurred during the big battle with Baal, but I remember reading or seeing something that implied the heroes celebrated their victory afterwards. I wish I remembered where I saw this.. anyway.. from what I know, we're led to believe the Barbarian hero from Diablo 2:LoD survived as he escaped through the portal. We're looking at this from the perspective that the player succeeds, so the character succeeds. If anyone knows of a book or piece of lore that contradicts this, please show me where I'm wrong.

(c) While the Barbarians from Diablo 2 and 3 are both men of few words, they do talk. Unless the hero had amnesia, I doubt he would hide the truth from his brothers and sisters..his fellow Barbarian folk. In fact, after the loss of Mt. Arreat.. something that they had guarded intently for generations.. so much so that even the ghosts of their Ancients guarded the mountain.. I would think that the barbarian folk would try to band together and share anything they knew before eventually going off on their own to explore the world now open to them. Likely, many barbarians would look to the hero from Diablo 2 for leadership. And to inspire them, he would let them know that the loss of their home, while a huge price to pay, helped to ensure the safety of the world.. This is more my opinion than anything else, but I think it makes the most sense.

(b) This is actually very likely. Barbarians are ridiculously tough men and women, however, everyone has a breaking point. Even the Barbarian hero from Diablo 3 suggests that there are appropriate times to feel sorrow, to cry, and then go take revenge of course.. doesn't he? Isn't it possible that the hero from Diablo 2 has great sorrow.. he succeeded in slaying the demon Baal at great personal risk and sacrifice to only fail to protect the World Stone in the end.. fleeing as its corrupted form is destroyed by Tyrael. It seemed like it was all for naught.. and then to make things worse, this also destroys a huge chunk of his homeland and his people..whom he had been trying to save from Baal and the other prime evils. I think it is highly likely that the Diablo 2:LoD Barbarian had some form of repressed or lost memories...Who would want to remember such things? As important as it was to remember and tell the story, perhaps his psyche snapped and he just couldn't...

(a) This is pretty much the same as (b), same character or not, the Diablo 3 Barbarian hero is old enough to remember the mountain and how it was destroyed. The legends about what occurred during the end of Diablo 2 must have spread across the world and anyone old enough to be from the time surely must know a lot about what occurred, even if not every single detail. But would you want to remember? Would you want to remember returning home from travels to see there is no home to return to and all your family and friends who weren't with you on your travels are now dead. This is of course assuming that the Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 Barbarians are not the same man.

Truthfully, I believe both Barbarian heroes are actually the same man, despite what we've been told:

Not only do they seem to be the same in appearance, age and ability. But much more importantly, the Barbarian hero from Diablo 3 has the ability to summon the Ancients to aid him in battle, proving that he had passed their trials and earned their respect.

If you know anything that would prove me right or wrong, please show me folks.

Regards,
~Philoi.
Edited by Philoi#1655 on 4/10/2013 1:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
And of course no reply...
Reply Quote
(d) The Barbarian hero who killed (or helped to kill) Baal died.
There has been no canon about what happened to the barbarian champion. I would assume that he is alive until stated otherwise.

(c)I doubt he would hide the truth from his brothers and sisters..his fellow Barbarian folk. In fact, after the loss of Mt. Arreat.. something that they had guarded intently for generations.. so much so that even the ghosts of their Ancients guarded the mountain.. I would think that the barbarian folk would try to band together and share anything they knew before eventually going off on their own to explore the world now open to them. Likely, many barbarians would look to the hero from Diablo 2 for leadership. And to inspire them, he would let them know that the loss of their home, while a huge price to pay, helped to ensure the safety of the world.
Quite the opposite happened, actually. The barbarian tribes were devastated when Mt. Arreat was destroyed and it tore their culture to shreds. Barbarian's don't really have tribes anymore, and the ones that do still exist have regressed to a very primal state or have fallen to demonic corruption. Most of the barbarians are lone wolves now-a-days.

(b)Isn't it possible that the hero from Diablo 2 has great sorrow.. he succeeded in slaying the demon Baal at great personal risk and sacrifice to only fail to protect the World Stone in the end.. fleeing as its corrupted form is destroyed by Tyrael. It seemed like it was all for naught.. and then to make things worse, this also destroys a huge chunk of his homeland and his people..whom he had been trying to save from Baal and the other prime evils.
I agree with these assumptions, but not the conclusions.

04/10/2013 01:14 AMPosted by Philoi
Not only do they seem to be the same in appearance, age and ability. But much more importantly, the Barbarian hero from Diablo 3 has the ability to summon the Ancients to aid him in battle, proving that he had passed their trials and earned their respect.
Good points. Everything does 'add up' in that respect.

04/10/2013 01:14 AMPosted by Philoi
If you know anything that would prove me right or wrong, please show me folks.
Unfortunately, all we *really* have to go off of is the fact that Blizz says he isn't, so that's what is canon until said otherwise.
Reply Quote
04/18/2013 02:02 AMPosted by Chris
Unfortunately, all we *really* have to go off of is the fact that Blizz says he isn't, so that's what is canon until said otherwise.

I refuse to believe such nonsense without a valid explanation from them. Whether you agreed with my points or not, unless you can actually disprove them, they make much more sense than what Blizzard has suggested to be true.. I hated the fact that out of all the classes, they'd bring back the barbarian.. but at least that gave us some sort of link to the old game.. and bridge from the old story to this new one.. but no, they decide to ruin even that.. is this Diablo 3 the sequel to Diablo 2/LoD at all or what? It just seems like it is a different game altogether..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]