Diablo® III

CoB MP10 Sickle & Shield (Videos)

View profile
Are you interested in a single build that you can take with you and play on any acts in MP10?

I am very glad to share a skill and item build that is MP10 capable across all acts.

Credits to Luffy for his inspiring gear choice. 1-hand + shield gearing. Also to those who helped fine-tune and shape my gear choice, especially Surijak (thank you for your invaluable comments!). And to those also who taught me the value of balancing HP vs Mit. Also to many others who encouraged and advised, skywalker, paul, kurO etc etc. (sorry if I missed your name!)

*Disclaimer* My claim of MP10 capable across all acts is based on the idea that 'if my build can take on arguably the toughest elites in each act for CoB Witch Doctors with minimal deaths, then I can take on any other challenges that the Act can throw at me'. Although in the videos below you see slight variations in my build, I assure you I have taken this build and gone up against all those tough elites in each Act and win with minimal deaths. =D

I hesitated changing my thread title from 'Keeps Run Only' to 'MP10 capable' because even though I could handle Acts 1-3, Act 4 still gave me nightmares. So I told myself, if I ever ever do 2 consecutive Act 4 full clear with 0 deaths, then my build is decent enough to be labelled MP10 capable. I DID IT - video below =D

• Sickle & Shield + CoB build
  • http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bcUdXj!acT!bcZcYY

Video: Final Bosses (Acts 1-4)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNv6gLFhyUc
    Sickle and Shield build versus Final Bosses of each Act
    All done back to back after training. No deaths =p
    Diablo: Use horrify when fighting your clone
    Azmodan: Position yourself on his left or right
    Belial: Position yourself on his top left corner and use health pots
    Butcher: Spirit walk when he jumps to smash and avoid his charge

Video: Ubers Run (Realm of Discord Chaos Turmoil)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnErml-0RbU
    MP10 Ubers Run using the same skill build as I use for all other content. No hex, no spirit vessel, no garg. Not the most efficient Ubers skill build, but a challenge I undertook and very glad I managed it =D
    Siege and Kulle took 7 tries though before I found out how to kill them without hex. Big thanks to Paul for his tips on SK and Magda. Also Luffy you made an appearance in the video lol

Video: Key Wardens Hunting (All Acts)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXGQGKGHQBw
    Includes all 4 Key Wardens at 5 NV stacks and a full clear of Silver Spire Level 1. All done back to back. Zero Deaths =D Though admittedly I got lucky in a couple of fights in Act 4

Video: Pony Land, where the rainbows are (Secret Cow Level)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_jsM1dGhM
    Includes path to Moo Moo King and a short clip of finding a Spectrum drop at the end of the rainbow ^^

Video: Silver Spire Runs Back2Back (Act 4)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ARTJuHmJ6k
    Act 4 Silver Spire Runs Back to Back. Full clear, fought 6 Elites, 0 Deaths. Average 15 mins per run. Video sped up 2 times to fit into Youtube. MP10 capable! Finally =D

Video: Blazing Guardians Hunting (Act 2)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIw_5-ktbME
    Fought 6 packs in a row, 0 deaths, average 2.5mins per pack. Includes a double elite blazing + shock guardians at the end. Was quite easy though as I had a shrine to help XD

Video: Disentombed Hulks + Tremors Hunting (Act 1 & 3)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBR1VFF6BU
    Disentombed Hulks hunting. Fought 5 packs, 1 death. Avg 1.5mins per pack. Feels like the weaker version of tremors. Even with tough affixes while still dangerous, they are no where close to tremors. Also what makes them dangerous is not themselves, but the crazy normal mobs that they are surrounded by.
    Tremors hunting. Tried out Well of Souls with Rush of Essense against them. Fought 3 packs, 1 death. Avg 1.7mins per pack. Death was avoidable as I had SW available but made the wrong decision to save it. Works decently but ultimately I feel widowmakers is better since you free up one passive slot which would have saved me at times when I make the wrong decisions.

Video: Tremors + Hell Bashers Hunting (Act 3)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KDW5DSiWQo
    So...a friend commented that my previous video's tremor fight was a fluke...had the shrine to help...affixes were not hard...etc. I went hunting, fought 4 in a row, died once. Avg 1.5min per pack. I think I did pretty well =D Do you like the challenge too? Join the shield brigade =)

*Build for survivability first and play on the MP level that is efficient/comfortable at the DPS you are running. Then slowly farm and upgrade your DPS while maintaining your EHP stats until you can do MP10 =D*

• Stats to aim for:
  • 150k+ DPS
    4k to 5k+ Armor
    800 to 900+ AR
    50k to 60k+ HP
    18%+ Block
    18%+ Dodge

1) Life Steal.
    2) Pickup radius: Don't need too much though since most monsters will die right next to you. Maybe 6 or 7 PuR?

Optional stats to have:

1) -mana Firebats gear. Allows you to channel longer.
    2) 4 piece Zuni Set. definitely it helps to have!

• Skills:
  • 1) Spirit Walk - Jaunt
    For safety and mana.

2) Soul Harvest - Vengeful Spirit
    For damage/mitigation boost and some lifesteal.

3) Horrify - Frightening Aspect
    Multipurpose skill. Offense or Defense capable. As much a lifesaver as SW.

4) Mass Confusion - Paranoia
    Damage boost. Also gives you a decent window to channel CoB with minimal interruptions. Also a lifesaver at times.

5) Corpse Spiders - Widowmakers
    Mana generator and to drag elites to you out of unfavorable situations to safer grounds with sickle.

6) Firebats - Cloud of Bats
    Main damage dealer and the skill the build is built around.

• Follower
  • Enchantress (Credit goes to ChromeOnRust for his featured video on gearing followers)

1) Stack Attack speed on rings and ammy (Star of Azkaranth *sp* if you can afford freeze + Atk spd)
    2) Equip high freeze Azurewrath

Superb single target freezer. Helps lock-down range elite in place.

• Final Words
  • Act 4 requires a lot of practice and experience. Don't give up if you find it too hard at the start! Even now I average 0-5 deaths per run on Act 4.

*Why Sickle? Why not a higher damage and lifesteal black weapon?

05/25/2013 05:00 AMPosted by Surijak
    The sickle is great to split up tricky groups as well, drag one out ahead and kill it while the others catch up.

05/19/2013 05:06 AMPosted by Surijak
    Not sure I'm sold on the sickle idea even though I can see the thought process behind it, if they run away you're going to have to cast widowmakers anyway. If the spiders drag them back in then go back to bats and you've cut out the chasing. If not and you're full mana, oh well, rng says go chase this time.

05/24/2013 06:32 PMPosted by EremiteAngel
    Also it stuns when the sickle procs so its like a mini hex.

*What stats to look for on a shield?
    18%+ block chance
    1K+ armor
    400-500+ combined INT/VIT/Life%
    60+ AR
    8-10% Crit chance
    Dex (optional)
    Crowd Control Reduction (optional)
    WD Skill bonuses (optional)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Videos Patch 1.08

Video: Hook kill at 2min 10secs as I was vortexed. First Blood!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMe8BbxtfJM
    Judge for yourselves the fun and usefulness of Sickle + Shield. Keeps clear, Zero deaths (I'm only at 39K HP! But with 1k AR and 5k Armor) - Includes Goblin kill, Tremor+Hell Bashers kill, Ghom kill. I'm not invulnerable. I just got lucky this run =P

Video: Limitations of the build
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUbzY6Xadw
    Hard fight here at the end against double elites with mortar/freeze/jailor that made kiting extremely hard. I died like 6 times. WoS + CoB build might have fared better here with its better lifesteal, but I believe I would have died a few times as well lol...

Video: Freeze Elites and Ghom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Q4OOrisuA
    Hard fight here especially in the double freeze/shielding/vortex/fast elite encounter...not to mention it was a tremor+hell basher combo lol...had to kite a lot =( don't think CoB will work much in these situations...though I think luffy's sword and shield combo might have an easier time here.

Video: No Freeze Elites >.<
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XX_H09qGr0
    Fought just about every elite affix. All done in one run. Also includes Goblin kill, yes we can kill Goblins on MP10!! Just realized Freeze was not shown in the video...thought I fought one! Must have forgotten to add it in >.<

Patch 1.07 Videos

Video 1 added: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3crmpE8hxaY
    (skip to 3mins 20 secs to watch CoB at its best against melee elites)
    Video 2 added: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEF3niPUa7k
    (against Freeze melee elite mobs - the couple of times I moved out was because of nightmare, otherwise one could continue standing there in the freeze field. Best shown between 23sec - 43sec. You'll see my life regenerating even while frozen and taking damage without having to pop spirit walk. Leaving me in position to continue channeling after being unfrozen.)
    Edited by EremiteAngel#6608 on 8/9/2013 8:09 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Updated with video =D
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Interesting videos Ermite. Seems like you really have your hands full.

How much of the time are you freezing with CoB vs.your Enchantress freezing with the Azurath?
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    CoB doesn't proc freeze well. I would say 1% CoB 99% Enchantress.

my enchant is close to or over 2 APS - can't remember. think 1.9+??
    as shown in the video when i got the range elite boss alone, my enchantress' on steroids =D she does all the freezing for me, lets me use CoB on range elite bosses...but first I need to kill his minions XD

Edit: she's on 2.07 APS. unrivaled single target freezer.
    Edited by EremiteAngel#6608 on 4/14/2013 7:39 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Updated with guide. Guess I am entitled to a guide since I can pull it off in MP10 XD
    Reply Quote
    Wow I can't believe you lasted that long in the first encounter, took multiple close calls to pop your spirit vessel. And too many knockbacks, you spent more time using rain of toads than cloud of bats, was beautiful once they clumped up though.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    04/14/2013 08:49 AMPosted by Surijak
    you spent more time using rain of toads than cloud of bats

Definitely, which made me feel sad but couldn't be helped since CoB doesn't work well against range elites that moves around.

So had to clear out the minions and let my enchantress freeze the boss up for me to use CoB =D

That said, did you watch the other 2 melee elite fights? CoB blew them up pretty nicely ^^

Edit: Nice zombie wall gear. how is that working for you? Always wanted to try those too.
    Edited by EremiteAngel#6608 on 4/14/2013 8:56 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Good job on the guide Eremite, I will post it up later today, if I can catch a break from family duties. :)
    Reply Quote
    I tried it again and was reminded how much Demonic Tremors suck. Just have to run away from them.

Speaking of zombie wall.
    I have a very similar build for 0cd zombie wall pile on.
    It plays pretty much like your CoB build at high MP. Mostly RoT+Acid Rain and then Zombie Wall (or in this case CoB) when possible:
    http://d3up.com/b/427074/mcp
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    04/14/2013 10:23 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
    Good job on the guide Eremite, I will post it up later today, if I can catch a break from family duties. :)

Thanks!
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    04/14/2013 10:53 AMPosted by MCP
    I tried it again and was reminded how much Demonic Tremors suck. Just have to run away from them.

Definitely need to kite them. Though I've seen bear users with enough DPS kill them within the time frame of 1-2 spirit walks XD So OP.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Updated with freeze elite video.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    04/14/2013 04:49 PMPosted by EremiteAngel
    Definitely need to kite them. Though I've seen bear users with enough DPS kill them within the time frame of 1-2 spirit walks XD So OP.

I just held a Demonic Tremor under proc with RoT on MP10 Keeps and he got one hit on me (testing my procs out with some changes).

Those things are just plain old bear bait for me now though. I can bear them down with one mana ball without too much trouble. If I grab a wall and then bear them then that's it for them.
    Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 4/15/2013 2:33 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    New challenger:
    Fast, Reflects damage demonic tremors horde.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    New challenger:
    Fast, Reflects damage demonic tremors horde.

With freeze AND vortex =D
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    04/14/2013 08:38 PMPosted by skywalkerfx
    Those things are just plain old bear bait for me now though. I can bear them down with one mana ball without too much trouble. If I grab a wall and then bear them then then that's it for them.

Nice...bears definitely work a treat against them...seen a couple of bear videos that handled tremors easily. Now if only bats could do the same lol.
    Reply Quote
    No movement speed on any build would make me go crazy.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    04/15/2013 12:04 AMPosted by TALIB
    No movement speed on any build would make me go crazy.

definitely you can run this with MS...I don't cause I've not managed to craft a good LOH ammy to drop my pants for innas and I don't have enough gold to afford a good MS ice walkers ^^
    Reply Quote
    04/14/2013 08:55 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
    That said, did you watch the other 2 melee elite fights? CoB blew them up pretty nicely ^^

I certainly did! First with a tremor, luckily your enchantress had that covered, and the second with skull cleavers. ie all three elite fights had a bit of knockback going on. :/
    The smaller knockback doesn't seem to be much of a problem though which was reassuring to see as this affix always felt the most frustrating to face.

I've had fun rocking double maximus CoB, the close range seems to make the infernals inherently more useful. Got an azurewrath I could chuck on the enchantress to stick to this build as well, cost me 14k.. cheap as chips, no excuse not to pick one up.

04/14/2013 08:55 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
    Edit: Nice zombie wall gear. how is that working for you? Always wanted to try those too.

The cheerleaders are hilarious, it's what keeps me coming back to the build. Definitely takes some finesse to manage the variable casting range and predictive aiming but you'll find those little nuances with any build. Also been running the regular wall of zombies ability quite extensively and the cooldown reduction lowers it enough to actually feel like a reasonable ability to have on your bar.

Won't tie up your guide with detailed zombie wall discussion though (might come back to this elsewhere), I've been enjoying the CoB insight you've been providing across a couple threads as well as this guide.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    glad to hear you're having fun too with CoB and zombies. 2 very fun builds imo though not tried the later.

Is the firechain from the maximus any good? also any idea if it procs LOH / Freeze?

P.S. Looking forward to your zombie wall thread if you decide to start one!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]