Diablo® III

D3 vs. other games on the market

It was stated that D3 was unlike (superior to) other games and will be played for years to come.

How do you think it compares?
Reply Quote
"it was stated"...
Reply Quote
Well it is it's own unique game yes, but fun factor wise? Judging by how many people left it, the lack of rewards, and droves of bad user reviews, I'd say it's inferior to other games on the market.
Reply Quote
I like Diablo III, but it is not, by any means, Game of the Year material.
Edited by Nimrod#1466 on 4/17/2013 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have to say, I had a blast all the way through Hell as well, then grew increasingly dissatisfied with itemization. Hardcore has currently revived my love for the game.

For what it's worth, I still think it's one of the better ARPGs out there. The combat is stellar, and the other things...well, they're working on them. D2 wasn't the best until LOD.
Edited by Taganov#1343 on 4/17/2013 4:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 04:08 PMPosted by Taganov
D2 wasn't the best until LOD.

D2 didn't need so much work upon release.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 is vastly superior because it nails the combat.
Since the games are essentially 95% combat it puts Diablo over the competition.

This surprised me considering Torchlight 2 was almost universally better reviewed by both critics and fans as well as considered to be the true Diablo 2 sequel.
Despite all the overwhelming praise I just can't get into it. Got bored with the game within a couple hours and forced myself through about 10 hours before I just couldn't do it anymore.

Some people consider PoE to be just as good but once again the combat just fails by comparison. I intend to revisit PoE when it gets out of beta but this process could be another year away for all I know.

Diablo 3 also stands out in that it actually tries something new. It's clearly not just a copy-pasted Diablo 2 clone with a few revamped mechanics. We've seen that game done a dozen times over the years and Diablo 3 gives us something unique on the market. This makes the title inherently special even if you consider the choice to remove skill trees a complete failure.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 4/17/2013 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
"nails the combat" Can you elaborate?

Is there precise timing needed to tackle different opponents?
Is one offensive skill more apt to kill a phaser vs. another?
Is a mace any different from a sword if they have the same stats and attack speed when clearly maces were once used for different reasons than swords?
Is weapon type for that matter even important as long as it has the stats and attack speed?
Is a defensive skill that allows you to stand amist a throng of opponents really a difference if everybody uses it and uses it in a spawning fashion?
Is it the speed at which you can run in and back out of a croud to lay a trap against an extremely difficult opponent and barely escape with your life?
Does your characters life even matter when you can be back in the battle in 15 seconds with little or no penalty for it?
Why do our characters even die?
How did death become annoying?
Is it the mess of graphics from your skills to where you can't even see where you are clicking or what enemy you are hitting or which enemy just crushed your character?

Please be my guest and explain why the combat is so superior . . .

This surprised me considering Torchlight 2 was almost universally better reviewed by both critics and fans as well as considered to be the true Diablo 2 sequel.
Despite all the overwhelming praise I just can't get into it. Got bored with the game within a couple hours and forced myself through about 10 hours before I just couldn't do it anymore.

Some people consider PoE to be just as good but once again the combat just fails by comparison. I intend to revisit PoE when it gets out of beta but this process could be another year away for all I know.

Diablo 3 also stands out in that it actually tries something new. It's clearly not just a copy-pasted Diablo 2 clone with a few revamped mechanics. We've seen that game done a dozen times over the years and Diablo 3 gives us something unique on the market. This makes the title inherently special even if you consider the choice to remove skill trees a complete failure.
Reply Quote
I played D3, POE, and TL2; I totally agree D3 wins in the combat. It just feels much better when I hit the mobs in D3 than the other two. I don't think a super complex combat system is needed.
and I don't understand why people care these...

Is a mace any different from a sword if they have the same stats and attack speed when clearly maces were once used for different reasons than swords?
Is weapon type for that matter even important as long as it has the stats and attack speed?
Is a defensive skill that allows you to stand amist a throng of opponents really a difference if everybody uses it and uses it in a spawning fashion?
Is it the speed at which you can run in and back out of a croud to lay a trap against an extremely difficult opponent and barely escape with your life?
Does your characters life even matter when you can be back in the battle in 15 seconds with little or no penalty for it?
Is it the mess of graphics from your skills to where you can't even see where you are clicking or what enemy you are hitting or which enemy just crushed your character?
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 06:18 PMPosted by Dragoon

I'm pretty sure most people mean the combat of D3 is fluid, and not clunky like the other arpgs. But judging from your questions which don't really have a lot to do with that, I'm just guessing you're pissed that someone has a good opinion of the game.

I guess timing when to jump out of combat because of frozen, molten, beams, etc isnt timing?

Dont know what a phaser, but as a barb HoTA works soooo much better against elites than WW. Unfortunately I can't fit that in my skill set :/

Again as a barb, there is a huge difference because of weapon master. Swords come with higher AS so they have the potential for higher AS also which is important.

Besides the passives which require a cetrain weapon, DW vs. 2-hand is a huge difference. If DW, we used to have to choose between an OH or a shield before the game became stupid easy

Whats a spawning fashion?

Yea, I guess.

At this point it's no longer about death, but efficiency. So yea it matters.

What? Maybe scale down the MP if youre dying that much or L2P

This made no sense until I looked at your char. Youre trying to play a CM wiz with none of the appropriate gear, so I'm guessing thts what youre referring to. Maybe go to the wiz forums and learn how your class works before raging on the forums?
Reply Quote

I'll be happy to though I know you won't agree.

1) Combat shifted from static bosses to elites making the game more dynamic

2) Skills aren't locked into trees allowing more creative use of builds to match our play style (no synergy punishment)

3) Some classes allow relaxed mindless playstyles and others require more 'twitch' gaming to survive. This makes the classes feel different and players can choose the class that matches their preferred game play style.

4) Elite affixes force players to mix up their play styles in order to survive those encounters. Granted this benefit does eventually go away completely as players outgear the content they play and simply 'faceroll' everything.

5) The nitty-gritty details you mention still exist in this game to a degree but they are often in the background. A mace wielded by a Barbarian is different because of their passives. Cold damage is more meaningful to a wizard because of their passives. There is a clear death penalty to this game you just don't feel the time and gold and shame penalty is enough of a deterrent.

6) Monster design encourage players to act differently. Those not severely overgeared can't approach a Mallet Lord in the same way they'd approach a scorpion. The same can be said about several of the enemies that keep you moving to stay alive.

It's hard to explain exactly why the combat is so superior but it simply is. I had to 'force' myself to put over 10 hours into Torchlight 2 because it had long since become a boring grind. I've put close to 1500 hours into Diablo 3 and there is still fun to be had. The actions speak for itself as the game does something right. Especially when I don't flip or play for profit.
Reply Quote
So by nails the combat you mean that D3 is simply fluid while other games are clunky.
Have you played much outside the barb? Paragon 3 Wiz . . . guess not.
Any other precise timing needed other than for elites which are 4.6% of all the enemies you have killed ("I guess", strong answer indeed!)? What about the other 95.4% of enemies you battle.
Are two-handed weapons versitile for all the characters or do they fill only a small niche of char builds? "Yea, I guess"?

Do you really understand and comprehend all the combat components D3 trashed that were actually rewarding?
No one goes ranting on about how they killed Diablo on Inferno MP all because they mastered Bash when no one else did. Why because Your Bash will always be just as good as my Bash.

Am I raging on the forums? . . .

No, I am simply asking thought provoking questions that make posters think about their answers because it is other posters' replies that determine whether a point is valid.

Quite frankly you have little evidence or confidence in your answers, and that proves a point as well.

I'm pretty sure most people mean the combat of D3 is fluid, and not clunky like the other arpgs. But judging from your questions which don't really have a lot to do with that, I'm just guessing you're pissed that someone has a good opinion of the game.

I guess timing when to jump out of combat because of frozen, molten, beams, etc isnt timing?

Dont know what a phaser, but as a barb HoTA works soooo much better against elites than WW. Unfortunately I can't fit that in my skill set :/

Again as a barb, there is a huge difference because of weapon master. Swords come with higher AS so they have the potential for higher AS also which is important.

Besides the passives which require a cetrain weapon, DW vs. 2-hand is a huge difference. If DW, we used to have to choose between an OH or a shield before the game became stupid easy

Whats a spawning fashion?

Yea, I guess.

At this point it's no longer about death, but efficiency. So yea it matters.

What? Maybe scale down the MP if youre dying that much or L2P

This made no sense until I looked at your char. Youre trying to play a CM wiz with none of the appropriate gear, so I'm guessing thts what youre referring to. Maybe go to the wiz forums and learn how your class works before raging on the forums?
Edited by Dragoon#1459 on 4/17/2013 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Combat is the only fun thing about this game, It's well done. Everything else sucks though.
Reply Quote
I do not see any games of the D3 genre out there that can actually compete with d3. D3 is destined to eclipse D2. I was playing the ptr today on my barb an the combat is really great. I found a few legs but I don't run with much mf. The Consensus of those in chat was act one is great.

I tried MH, the so called new soul of D2, forced myself to play until I leveled once. I do not see even being ftp a draw for me in the future.

Tl2 I can't get excited by a game that has no closed server. This game amounts to a bunch of modded private servers like the hundreds of illegal, pirated, modded d2 servers that spot the internet. I can see many liking this and recently have been in several threads that in reality cried for this type of play.

Poe, well I view it as a hoge podge of ideas copied from many programs. I tried is an did not carfor the combat an the obsolete skill tree system. It is similar to D2 but actually the tree is created by many affixs or stats, the actual skills come from dropped gems. So in effect the skill system is based on luck and trading. I expect it will eventually just melt down.
Edited by DeadRu#1893 on 4/17/2013 6:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote

LMAO here let me educate you! Just because attacking in a game is better than another title does not make it the better game.(yes we all have our opinions but that was a fact what I said) Combat is the only thing this game has going for it that's it! As for "at least they tried something new". They took the stone wheel and instead of advancing it to the wooden one they said !@#$ it lets redo the proven technique and try something else. Yeah its something new but has nothing to do with the previous installments of the diablo franchise. Basically threw all the improvements done on d2 away. What they should have done is evolved D2 it into something even better! That's completely different than a cookie cutter game with updated graphics. Basically from your view point this game could have been the exact same game as diablo 2 with the new combat system and you would think its was amazing. No 10 years in the making means you need to advance on things you have already built upon. Like evolving the stat system to something more diverse and complex as well as the skills in the game. But instead they started all over again! Now we have this %^-* fest of game that has the complexity of PONG with modern day graphics/physics.
Edited by TheForgotten#1928 on 4/17/2013 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 06:32 PMPosted by Martimus
the combat of D3 is fluid, and not clunky like the other arpgs
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 07:05 PMPosted by VinnyI82
I like Diablo III, but it is not, by any means, Game of the Year material.

It's not Game of Anything material. It belongs in a dusty bargain bin.

If you are just looking for nicer graphics and not story or immersion or quality design or thoughtful decision making or respect for it's playerbase or anything else that goes into a game you may one day recall fondly, it's still not very good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]