Diablo® III

No more Dev Q&As

04/08/2013 11:46 PMPosted by Lylirra
You want to make the game the best possible but dismiss people constantly while pushing your own agenda. Right.

We want to make the best game possible. Can we make the best game possible for everyone? Probably not. There are a lot of varying opinions out there about what makes a good game vs. what doesn't. Are we going try? Definitely.

Will we still make decisions that feel right to our developers and align with their goals? Yes. Will we keep reevaluating what that is in light of community feedback? Absolutely. While we're responsible for the vision and design of Diablo III (in a way, I guess that's an agenda), we're also creating the experience for our players. This doesn't mean we're going to implement every piece of feedback we get, but it does mean we value that feedback considerably and use it as a touchstone whenever making/considering changes.

A lot of the stuff in 1.0.8 is actually inspired by conversations we saw in this very forum. Speaking of, 1.0.8 is up on PTR, would love your impressions after you've gotten the opportunity to play.

Your culprit is in bold. No need to thank me
Too few updates for a long time...
Community Manager
04/08/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Jowy68

You're the bold to my italicize.<3

Best when read in context, though:

Will we still make decisions that feel right to our developers and align with their goals? Yes. Will we keep reevaluating what that is in light of community feedback? Absolutely.
04/09/2013 12:08 AMPosted by Lylirra

You're the bold to my italicize.<3

Will we still make decisions that feel right to our developers and align with their goals? Yes. Will we keep reevaluating what that is in light of community feedback? Absolutely.

I left the rest out because the first statement has been shown to have more importance than the second one for now
Guys, I don't see why you think Blizzard would change their "model" on how to do things.

How Blizzard "runs" things...

*Takes suggestions on forums*
*Decides 99.9% will NOT work with THEIR game*
*Creates their own solutions and adds their own ideas that create more problems that they solve*
*Tells community what they will get*
*Opens PTR to test for bugs*
*Patch day*
*Dev Q&A before next patch - Tells community that what they did was best for THEIR game*
*After months of complaining, they will tell you how much fun you should be having*

Exactly, by the time they get to "tells community what they will get" it is set in stone and the only changes they will make are minor tweaks to numbers. There is no feedback needed at that point.

Yet they won't tell us what they are thinking before the point were it is actually almost completely developed. We get vague answers like "we are discussing it" or "it is on the table".

When group think rules your team, the bold statement is a huge problem.

I sure hope the developers love playing this game because they will be the only ones left after we all move on to bigger and better things.

Never in my life have I seen a company so hell-bent on doing everything EXCEPT what the customer is asking for. I guess it really doesn't matter since they aren't selling us a product, they are just supporting something we already gave them money for. I'd liken it to outsourcing customer support for an appliance purchase. Is someone going to pick up the phone when you call? Sure. But they sure as hell don't give a damn about your problem.
Edited by TheProfessor#1787 on 4/9/2013 12:12 AM PDT
There's only so much you can "defer" to your design goals WHILST supposedly acting on user feedback. I think we're quite aware of this.

As to how far and in which direction the balance shifts, that is the tricky bit.

You're seeing negativity partly because while at the heart of it, it's not feasible to cater to both, Blizz is, no doubt also as a means of playing for time, attempting to show they have mastery of both.

Of course, unless Blues are now going to turn around and retcon D3's launch as "heavily influenced by community feedback", we now see a gradual, if somewhat, "cautious" outreaching to the very feedback that Jay Wilson so very smugly dismissed when he still helmed this project.

I applaud the effort. But I seriously doubt the efficacy of the devs to actually deliver.

It feels as if the dev goals statement takes absolute precedence regardless of the community feedback.

It's also hard to find instances where the two are in sync.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 4/9/2013 12:16 AM PDT
Community Manager
How about single-player offline for PC? There's an important one, so I can play this game again.

No current plans. It is something we continually evaluate/re-evaluate, though. (I know that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I still wanted to make sure your question was addressed.)
Blizzard priority should be winning back the players they lost, causee at this rate i doubt 6m expansions will sell
Theres a reason for no offline play.... from where do you think ith weapons and bugged tals came from ? Not even talking bout occy rings
Thank you so, so much for passing TianZi's thread to the devs. =)

This is the first time since the day 1.0.7 released that I've seen any blue acknowledgment (even if you're not a dev, yourself) that DH might warrant even a look to see if something might be wrong. It gets disheartening to hear nothing, to see nothing at all in the 1.0.8 ptr patch notes (yet, I'm still hoping), and to still have none of our excellent DH forum Guides or Guide Directory posts stickied despite many requests.

This isn't directed at you, but there are some issues that the devs do seem to be cagey on. While the explanation for the less than firm answers given in the FAQ makes sense, there do seem to be issues which flat out never see any comment or acknowledgment. Even a "Hey, we're evaluating potential issues with DH" (and here, rather than somewhere like Twitter, which not all of us use/follow) would have gone a long way. As it is, I was thrilled to see you pass TianZi's thread along =)

Oh, as for the blue tracker. Yeah, the blue tracker here does seem very limited. It's more like a Quick Tracker, as it only contains some of the highlights (as makes sense given its layout, as you mentioned, you need to keep clutter down). But perhaps another page or forum section could be added with a more robust tracker that might show all of them? It would still be good to have the flagged highlights up at the top like that, but a lot of the communication you guys do give us tends to get buried in a very active forum.

Oh, and related to the stickies issue, and forum design. I've noted that it's now the case that a thread can only be requested for Sticky once. If someone else has hit that button already, I can't. While there's still upvoting of liked posts, an upvote doesn't necessarily mean support for sticky status. A thread gets a single sticky request, and that tells the moderators nothing about the actual demand for it to gain sticky status. And it's entirely possible for every thread to end up sticky-requested by someone, causing a meaningless jumble. The guide thread looks the same as the thread that just says "lolnerfbarbz". Well, content aside, of course.
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 4/9/2013 12:36 AM PDT
i disagree i appreciate the info they give us
04/08/2013 07:14 PMPosted by Lylirra
Or, in picture form: http://i.qkme.me/35x3zp.jpg

I remember that taco commercial, bwahahaha!
I'm impressed and surprised that Lylirra is staying up this late to reply to everyone. Too much coffee?
How about single-player offline for PC? There's an important one, so I can play this game again.No current plans. It is something we continually evaluate/re-evaluate, though. (I know that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I still wanted to make sure your question was addressed.)

Really? Is there an actual reconsideration of the online-only stance that was thought to be entrenched? Or are you just playing?
will we ever see skill trees again ? Or skills dmg not relate to weapon dps ? Atleast a bit more depth...
I sure as hell miss +1 fire skills charms lol
Edited by Jowy68#1464 on 4/9/2013 12:37 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]