Diablo® III

No more Dev Q&As

04/09/2013 12:18 AMPosted by Lylirra
How about single-player offline for PC? There's an important one, so I can play this game again.

No current plans. It is something we continually evaluate/re-evaluate, though. (I know that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I still wanted to make sure your question was addressed.)

Hi. Firstly, thanks for all your responses in this, it's really great when there is some insight provided; however, to be perfectly honest, it's exactly these responses that I think bother the community most. Everything has been up for discussion since launch, talking about it in the office, in meetings, it's definitely on the table etc. These are basically the non-answers people are talking about, in that they provide nothing to the community, and leaves us with no idea what to expect. What the community wants is actual changes, which I'm glad to see there are certainly some in 1.08 and (someday) 1.09... compared to the time that's elapsed and the money people have put into diablo.... it's really baffling how little actual change has occurred.

I like diablo 3 as a game - as I'm sure most people still playing and posting do - but sometimes it really feels as if blizzard is severely out of touch with what people feel is reasonable for a game that's been out for nearly a year haha. At launch I think we can all agree it was... not where it should have been, at the very least, and we're a lot closer to an acceptable launch product now. We've gotten some quality of life improvements (which I definitely love and appreciate), a few legendaries with bigger numbers and pretty particle effects, and palette swapped bosses to kill for a ring that has an extremely low chance of being good considering the massive effort required to make one hahaha.

Seeing Travis confirm that they're interested in endless dungeon and stuff like that is great, all the community wants is something to do. Or at least, I do anyway! It's just that responses to stuff like this is always so nebulous and unclear. All we know is that it's something that's on the table, being discussed, while the playerbase continues to farm monsters that are highly unlikely to give you anything of value compared to the effort put in, which is just massively unrewarding. Thanks again for taking time to post so many responses here, it's appreciated deeply.
04/09/2013 12:31 AMPosted by Rhyas9
Really? Is there an actual reconsideration of the online-only stance that was thought to be entrenched? Or are you just playing?

At the start of every Blizzard meeting:

Dev 1: "Players really want us to remove the online-only requirement, should we?"

Dev 2: "Hmmm...... Nah."

Dev 1: "Well that's that out of the way."
04/09/2013 12:40 AMPosted by Tomac
Really? Is there an actual reconsideration of the online-only stance that was thought to be entrenched? Or are you just playing?

At the start of every Blizzard meeting:

Dev 1: "Players really want us to remove the online-only requirement, should we?"

Dev 2: "Hmmm...... Nah."

Dev 1: "Well that's that out of the way."

I LOLed
Community Manager
04/09/2013 12:11 AMPosted by Rhyas9
I applaud the effort. But I seriously doubt the efficacy of the devs to actually deliver.

It's a difficult balance, for sure, but it's still something we work towards. I'm not saying we have a mastery of it, either, or that the pendulum won't swing in one direction or the other from time to time. Being able to iterate on content is incredibly valuable in that situation.

04/09/2013 12:14 AMPosted by Hypersonic
It's also hard to find instances where the two are in sync.

I'm sorry they don't seem more obvious. We could probably do a better job of highlighting that.

I could give some examples, if you'd like, but that's totally up to you.
04/09/2013 12:18 AMPosted by Lylirra
How about single-player offline for PC? There's an important one, so I can play this game again.

No current plans. It is something we continually evaluate/re-evaluate, though. (I know that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I still wanted to make sure your question was addressed.)

Well if this isn't likely to happen what about localized server support for Oceania? We've been asking for this since release and always get the run around. How about an actual answer? This effects tens of thousands of players who are stuck with permanently high latency with no work around. Why isn't there an Oceania Server when most other (even smaller companies) do have one?
Well if this isn't likely to happen what about localized server support for Oceania? We've been asking for this since release and always get the run around. How about an actual answer? This effects tens of thousands of players who are stuck with permanently high latency with no work around. Why isn't there an Oceania Server when most other (even smaller companies) do have one?

I love your character names.
There Lylirra, I will make a 50m gold thread and ask people to sum everything that should be added/changed in the game and give good explanations about the changes. Hopefully this will make it to the devs
04/09/2013 12:48 AMPosted by Lylirra
I'm sorry they don't seem more obvious. We could probably do a better job of highlighting that.

It's not that, the problem is that what the devs have in mind for the game is often at odds with what the players want.

04/09/2013 12:48 AMPosted by Lylirra
I could give some examples, if you'd like, but that's totally up to you.

Please do. I am struggling to find a number of examples where changes to the game since launch have been well received.
The only ones were Monster Power, "new" legendaries, and Paragon levels.

Sadly, all 3 didn't address any core problems, and only made the game more grindy or narrowed itemization.

They are barely even acknowledging core issues. Right now they are just starting to give us quality of life improvements like ID all, improvements in social features and mob density.
[quote]
A lot of the stuff in 1.0.8 is actually inspired by conversations we saw in this very forum. Speaking of, 1.0.8 is up on PTR, would love your impressions after you've gotten the opportunity to play.

Here is my impression of the patch. The game is still an exercise in futility. The thing we play for at this point (items) are still 99% useless. They don't sell if they aren't in the 1 percentile and you can't buy items in that range because people are asking 2bil for them. You still have the same chance of winning the lottery as you do of getting an item you won't immediately dust. I have middle of the road gear and I still find nothing of use.

So while there are more monsters they still drop nothing of note. While there are more monsters they are still in the same 3 acts that now grate on my nerves because I have played them so many times through. Yes the ability to play with others has been enhanced so I don't have to be perpetually disappointed by myself. However the people I would like to have played with have all quit long ago so that is no real balm.

People are still using the same builds to play mp10 and there is very little viability in using other abilities. My barb can still faceroll what my other chars cannot even with him being 60 paragon levels lower than my wizard and crappily geared.

So, my impression is that there is nothing here that addresses the core problem with the game, this is lipstick on a pig. I will once again find much better uses of my time because you can't seem to find a way to make this game enjoyable instead of just depressing.
Edited by Ferinal#1351 on 4/9/2013 1:38 AM PDT
Its so true what people say on here I dont understand how i paid £60 for a broken game with possibly the worst loot in the history of dungeon crawlers and POE while kinda clunky is FREE with probably the best loot and currency ideas i have seen in a dungeon crawler.

Its like you had the best platform to go on with D2 and you ignored it for no other reason than greed and you wonder why people are annoyed with you ??.

If you want to answer a question answer this and just be completly honest :

Why is the loot so horrificly bad ?im talking even great rolls were is the fun chance on hits or anything remotley exciting ???? it will all boil down to greed if you all sat there colllectivly and thought this loot is great this is the way forward to D3 you should actually all stand up and sack yourselfs.
How much information we're able to share about a particular change or feature ultimately depends on where that change or feature is in its development. If it's reached the point where it's been implemented into our test builds, we can probably talk a lot more freely about it and discuss the ins-and-outs of how everything works. A good example of this is the mulitplayer improvements coming in 1.0.8. While these improvements aren't 100% final and may undergo some tweaking during the PTR, their design is far enough along that we can talk about them pretty extensively.

On the flip side, if a change/feature is still in its conceptual stage, where the actual design and implementation haven't been completely defined, then we won't be able to share as much. We can go over what we're planning, give you some of the reasons behind those ideas, maybe even bounce a few concepts off the community, but we probably won't be in a position to commit to the change/feature, tell you when it's going to release, or describe for you its functionality in great detail. This isn't because we're being "cagey." This is because the change/feature is still in early development and that information just doesn't exist yet. A good example of this is indeed the upcoming itemization improvements that were discussed in Travis' blog as well as the itemization Q&A. We don't have a timeline yet for when these improvements will be implemented, and many of the changes are still undergoing constant iteration. Sure, we may not have a lot of hard data to provide at the moment, but we can at least include you in the conversation and let you know what we're working on.

So, going back to the part of your post that I quoted, this really isn't an issue of "no answers." It's one of the answers not being what you liked or expected. Regardless, we're going to keep sharing our progress and providing more and more information as we go. As we start to refine our design and lock down how changes to itemization will be implemented, we'll be in a better position to answer your questions with more "hard facts" and less "design theory." That doesn't mean we can't have a dialogue on the topic in the meantime.

In fact, I seem to recall a certain community not only calling for itemization to be the next topic for AtD, but also for its CMs and developers to share more game info, even if it wasn't final... >.>

I believe I speak for the majority of the community when I ask for more forum involvement from the developers instead of Q&As.

The Q&As and forum involvement aren't mutually exclusive, they just provide different benefits. You're still going to see Travis and Wyatt posting. You're still going to see Q&As.

Or, in picture form: http://i.qkme.me/35x3zp.jpg

excuse me but you talk like a politician, hey you don't have to be so professional to explain things chill out
What I am curious about is if Blizzard decided to put so many post-launch resources into D3 because it was a travesty at launch, or because they are generating significant profits from the RMAH (or both?).

I assume that hard development will stop at 1.1? It cant go on forever.
100 Pandaren Rogue
I'm actually happy to see the continued attempts to make the game better, but I guess having a massive backlog and dropping over 120 hours into Skyrim on both PC and PS3 while hundreds of amazing games still lie in wait makes waiting more tolerable.

Obviously the itemization changes are the big changes I am looking forward to the most, but the currently "solid" changes in 1.08 on the PTR are a nice step. Minor, but helpful IMHO.

I do have a question however, if it can be answered. It involved the upcoming PS3 release of Diablo 3 though, so not sure if it's answerable. But the question is really rather simple. Does Blizzard have plans to patch over everything from future PC patches into the PS3 version that are "doable" within the compatibility of the 2 games? I.E. since the PS3 version will different in some ways, will future patches be applied on PS3, or is that the plan? I ask simply because some devs abandon their games without patching on PS3 (Alpha Protocol, grrrrrrr), and others keep patching years after the fact. Skyrim got a patch today which added some significant new features, and while the PS3 version had issues for the longest time, at least they keep poking at it with patches).

EDIT: I think D3 still needs work, and I've hedged on reccomending the PC version. A PS3 version though, I have to admit begrudgingly, I'd not only get, but I'd reccomend to a couple of my closest gaming buddies. I enjoy the PS controller for hack and slash games, and while the differences I see mentioned are extremely significant to the point I feel my PC CE was the INFERIOR product thanks to always online (and I am NOT happy about that), a "couchtime" D3 would get a lot of playtime, solo or with friends if they purchased it.
Edited by RichterLocke#1843 on 4/9/2013 2:19 AM PDT
Just wanted to chime in and throw around my worthless observations since we're really digging in...

There were quite a few disappointments with this game, but the three that really got under my skin from the very beginning were the itemization flaws, over-reliance on the auction house (not going to talk about that here, at all), and the way the community managers handled the forum community (the biggest concern for me).

The developer and community manager interaction with the forum community has drastically improved recently, especially with the general tone and availability. I'm not going to try and start a flame war, but after Jay left, it seems like the flood gates opened and the developers were dropping posts left and right that addressed many of the serious concerns most of us have had since day one, or even beta. Quality of life issues, long overdue as they may be, are being tackled rather quickly... well, at least when you consider how long they've been around.

The proposed changes for 1.0.8 are nice to see, especially considering how silly it has been to not have a reasonably efficient method to identify the multitudes of rares thrown at us, which was only made worse by the fact that most of them were downright insulting. I've definitely put some time into the game and have enjoyed most of it, but there was a point a good bit ago that it felt unrewarding to play the game rather than the auction house and the itemization issues only made it seem like a waste of time.

I'm probably not the only person who lurks around the forums at least every few days looking for some juicy details on the itemization updates, because at this point, all of the QoL polishing in the world doesn't mean a thing without breaking away from the flavorless itemization problems. It is refreshing to see the development team and community managers interacting with us in a positive manner, but I can only cross my fingers and hope it doesn't take months to hear about itemization changes. :)
I'm stoked for the changes coming in 1.0.8 (PTR patch notes, check it), but I get that not everyone is. We want you to be just as excited as we are, but if you're not, and you're just not enjoying your time -- definitely let us know so we can see what we can do to make things more entertaining and awesome, but also feel free to jump around and find something you DO enjoy.

I'm sorry lylirra we just non-stop tell you what we want and everything we heard its forget that we know what you want. The proof its that wa asked for stop the random !@#$ item, what we got from blizz you don't know what you want but you still ask us what we want. Its me or dev teams is blind.

you added alot of thing im not a fan of pvp in that games and i don't do it but when u need pass more time on the games then all other diablo games just for having the best in slot. i feel like i wasted my money and maybe other's too have that feeling.

so again what we want its simple when we drop a legendary they should have everything we know about its that, now what we don't know its the legendary will be perfect that what we want and not stop asking for.

i come back again with d2 dropped a shako you know it worth something perfect or not perfect that what i call a good random item. now again in d3 we drop a skorn we have 10% chance to just sell it to the vendor or destroying it into the bs.

the idea's of random is good for rare and blue items but legendary should have AND MUST HAVE the knowledge of the idea like shako aleardy have stats aleardy on them what we still don't know its if perfect or not. that what make d2 a great games that got a long live then anyother games.

sry for my language but i hope the message was clear. the dev team should give us what we want and NOT WHAT THEY THINK WE WANT like jay suckton(wilson) does.
100 Pandaren Rogue

so again what we want its simple when we drop a legendary they should have everything we know about its that, now what we don't know its the legendary will be perfect that what we want and not stop asking for.

i come back again with d2 dropped a shako you know it worth something perfect or not perfect that what i call a good random item. now again in d3 we drop a skorn we have 10% chance to just sell it to the vendor or destroying it into the bs.

the idea's of random is good for rare and blue items but legendary should have AND MUST HAVE the knowledge of the idea like shako aleardy have stats aleardy on them what we still don't know its if perfect or not. that what make d2 a great games that got a long live then anyother games.

Wanted to add to this, since it's one of the biggest causes of "why do legendaries suck?" Legendaries should have NO RANDOM SUFFIXES/AFFIXES, not now, not ever. The only thing that should be variable on them are the rolls. Going back to D2, creating a different valuation for the same item was easy. Tomb Reaver. Every single stat on it was variable, including the whole 1-3 sockets thing. VARIABLE STATS, not random stats. Having random suffixes or affixes on legendaries is one of the worst ideas implemented in Diablo 3. Awesome my Manticore has 190 INT! Yay, my Skorn spawned with 190 AGI! This is a huge problem, considering it's so difficult as it is to find legendaries, much less luck into one that actually HAS THE RIGHT STAT SPAWNS. I'm flummoxed as to why random affixes and suffixes on legendaries was implemented, and who thought it was a good idea..... and WHY they thought it was a good idea. Because it wasn't, it was a moronic idea.
Edited by RichterLocke#1843 on 4/9/2013 2:41 AM PDT
if only that is fix i think the games will be more fun and more people come back. the main reason most people leave its just too much random. and thank to richer for explaining better then i do on my post not my main language:)
100 Pandaren Rogue
No problem at all! It's bugged me a lot too, I've only found a sparse few legendaries, and of those, only ONE rolled good enough to use all the time. And even then, it was "good enough!", but it also has one completely wasted stat on it still. (A pair of Ice Climbers for my monk, FYI.) The rest..... not so much. So trust me, I understand and agree!
Edited by RichterLocke#1843 on 4/9/2013 2:42 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]