Diablo® III

No more Dev Q&As

View profile
04/08/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Jowy68

We want to make the best game possible. Can we make the best game possible for everyone? Probably not. There are a lot of varying opinions out there about what makes a good game vs. what doesn't. Are we going try? Definitely.

Will we still make decisions that feel right to our developers and align with their goals? Yes. Will we keep reevaluating what that is in light of community feedback? Absolutely. While we're responsible for the vision and design of Diablo III (in a way, I guess that's an agenda), we're also creating the experience for our players. This doesn't mean we're going to implement every piece of feedback we get, but it does mean we value that feedback considerably and use it as a touchstone whenever making/considering changes.

A lot of the stuff in 1.0.8 is actually inspired by conversations we saw in this very forum. Speaking of, 1.0.8 is up on PTR, would love your impressions after you've gotten the opportunity to play.

Your culprit is in bold. No need to thank me

So then Blizz needs to throw out their vision for the game. So that if anyone was to interview them about the future of D3. They would say well we really do not have our own vision for D3. If you want to know the future of D3 just visit the official forums because there is where we get our vision. If they did that then I would seriously consider never playing another Blizz title. Because a company has to have a plan for any product they produce, just like they do their business. Without a plan and goals to achieve. Then there is no way of telling if you have a successful product or company.
04/08/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Lylirra
We can't share details we don't have, though.
This is the part that sticks in the craw of many of your customers. It's the implication that your point releases are just some magical mysteries that appear out of smoke and darkness, and the condescending attitude towards people who don't take that at face value that just doesn't sit well.

Nobody has any details? Are you claiming that Blizzard uses absolutely no method or methodology to its development? No project plans? No development timelines? No staffing plans? No project managers who assemble this information into concise reports for their management, and onward up the chain?

If nobody ever knows anything until its ready to go on to PTR, how do you manage your code base? How do you do payroll? A technology development company cannot function with no details about anything.

Perhaps its as simple as the CMs don't understand the development process so they assume no process or information exists. I don't think that's it though.

Your information release policies are your own business, but please enough with the no details exist stuff. It tarnishes your credibility.
04/09/2013 03:08 AMPosted by SIERRA275
Just because you've posted what you think is a solution somewhere here on the forums doesn't mean that they can implement it wholesale, and doesn't mean that it's the perfect solution, because any small change in itemization or significant things like that, particularly in a heavily market-based economy like this one, will certainly have repercussions

So doing nothing at all is better. Is that what you're implying?
Why not just admit that the Q&A is a failure?? Please go read WoW and SC2's Q&As, they are soooooooooo much more entertaining to read and you actually discover something new and useful unlike D3's Q&A. Why is that? Community is mad because:

1) Broken game, unfinished game, full of bugs.
2) Still a broken game after 10 months with so little improvements.
3) Most likely will still be a broken game after years, because from the Q&A the developer sounds like they are still unsure what to do.

This game has no hope... POE so much better.
BTW blues: I hope you know that a lot of people posting on this forum has already switched to POE. People are just here to laugh at this game: Poor game design decision, poor developers' Q&A.

Spies like you who don't play or no longer play have no impact in their unconstructive repeatedly boring words. Many said the same about almost any other games in major game forums and life still carry on, understand?
We can't share details we don't have, though.
This is the part that sticks in the craw of many of your customers. It's the implication that your point releases are just some magical mysteries that appear out of smoke and darkness, and the condescending attitude towards people who don't take that at face value that just doesn't sit well.

Nobody has any details? Are you claiming that Blizzard uses absolutely no method or methodology to its development? No project plans? No development timelines? No staffing plans? No project managers who assemble this information into concise reports for their management, and onward up the chain?

If nobody ever knows anything until its ready to go on to PTR, how do you manage your code base? How do you do payroll? A technology development company cannot function with no details about anything.

Perhaps its as simple as the CMs don't understand the development process so they assume no process or information exists. I don't think that's it though.

Your information release policies are your own business, but please enough with the no details exist stuff. It tarnishes your credibility.

Do you hear from Apple about their plans for Iphone 5 when you are still using Iphone 2? Even if they do have, they wouldn't leak a single word of it to the public. If you are smart enough, you figure it out yourself. Do you hear from Mozilla about their plans for Firefox 19 when you are still using Firefox 15? For god's sake, I don't think you even know how Mozilla Release notes work to cry out loud.

The one thing I know is you as an unrelated individual who is not even part of their company's cleaning department has absolutely no way to prove your words of claiming or guessing for that matter, that their dev team has no (in your words) method or methodology to its development? No project plans? No development timelines? No staffing plans? No project managers who assemble this information into concise reports for their management, and onward up the chain? .

That's one crafty way to stir up other's words or put words in other mouths, isn't it? Not a surprising move, pretty common among office ladies in the pantry during lunch.
Edited by hell2kane#1109 on 4/9/2013 9:15 AM PDT

Wanted to add to this, since it's one of the biggest causes of "why do legendaries suck?" Legendaries should have NO RANDOM SUFFIXES/AFFIXES, not now, not ever. The only thing that should be variable on them are the rolls. Going back to D2, creating a different valuation for the same item was easy. Tomb Reaver. Every single stat on it was variable, including the whole 1-3 sockets thing. VARIABLE STATS, not random stats. Having random suffixes or affixes on legendaries is one of the worst ideas implemented in Diablo 3. Awesome my Manticore has 190 INT! Yay, my Skorn spawned with 190 AGI! This is a huge problem, considering it's so difficult as it is to find legendaries, much less luck into one that actually HAS THE RIGHT STAT SPAWNS. I'm flummoxed as to why random affixes and suffixes on legendaries was implemented, and who thought it was a good idea..... and WHY they thought it was a good idea. Because it wasn't, it was a moronic idea.

One THOUSAND times this. That is what made the uniques from Diablo 2 so great…you KNEW what to expect and depending on the item, they were all end-game viable, regardless of their variable rolls. Shako, Windforce, Buriza, War Travs, Raven Frost, etc. What made them GODLY was the chance they could roll perfect or near-perfect.

I’ve found 5 Windforces in Diablo 3, each one crappier than the last and completely outshined by Calamity and Manticore. This system is broken. MAX level Legendaries should ALWAYS make your pants tight then you see them hit the ground.
Edited by TheProfessor#1787 on 4/9/2013 9:01 AM PDT

The one thing I know is you as an unrelated individual who is not even part of their company's cleaning department has absolutely no way to prove your words of claiming or guessing for that matter, that their dev team has no (in your words) method or methodology to its development? No project plans? No development timelines? No staffing plans? No project managers who assemble this information into concise reports for their management, and onward up the chain? .

That's one crafty way to stir up other's words or put words in other mouths, isn't it? Not a surprising move, pretty common among office ladies in the pantry during lunch.
You completely miss the point. Of course they have them. Look at the product - no one could create such a complex entity without knowing exactly what they are doing and exactly where they are going. It's the false notion that no one ever has any information until a build hits the PTR in a surprise to all that makes them look silly.
I like the idea of Q&A, but don't do it if you have nothing worthwhile to say. "We plan to do.." "we would like to eventually.."

Does not tell us anything
Community Manager
I have a thought! If you don't have any details then DON"T ANSWER THE QUESTION!
I would rather not see political double talk and wait until there is something they can answer directly.

I respect that, but your opinion is not one shared universally. We have plenty of people also saying, "We don't care if you don't have exact details, just tell us what you're working on!" This applied especially to itemization.

I think it's better for us to err on the side of frequent communication, even if we're only discussing possible changes and don't have exact implementation worked out.
Edited by Lylirra on 4/9/2013 9:24 AM PDT
I like the idea of Q&A, but don't do it if you have nothing worthwhile to say. "We plan to do.." "we would like to eventually.."

Somewhat agree. But you know, there are always these bunch of ducks who keep quacking the words "at least give us some idea of what to expect". Sounds familiar? And then another moment, "No more Dev Q&A" like this thread's name. So, who are the Smart Alecks who say "Represent the Majority"?

The point of the Q&A is to assure us that something will definitely be done and to create some excitement. Similar to many other related or non-related industry companies, they would publish some minor unconfirmed details to get the public guessing and anticipate what is coming up. So the key word is 'Anticipate'.

These annoying ducks are the ones who quack and drive companies out of business in no time. No dumb company in this world rush to develop end-product. TBH, products are meant to be partially developed and revised further at small stages to ensure continued interest and thus, sustainable financial growth. How many versions of Iphones so far? How many products have seen being repackaged or mentioned New Formula?. Pls don't childishly nag about "Oh Blizz only cares about money", only kids do that bcos they are still nursing in their small, naive and narrow-minded world where they don't have to earn for a living. Sometimes, certain products are not suitable for certain individuals and they complain. Why? They don't even know what they truly want or need. They don't make the effort to understand what suits them and what not. How shame is that?
Edited by hell2kane#1109 on 4/9/2013 9:34 AM PDT
View profile
Thank you Lylirra for dealing with the cesspool that is the GD forums.

Everyone needs to take a step back for a moment. Last time I checked, this game is free to play. It costs $60 no more no less, you don't have to play it till you kill yourself. If you had fun for the first 20 hours count yourself lucky. Games these days are beatable in 15 hours or less with no replay value for the same $60.

For those who have hundreds of hours of game play. You're done man, sorry. You played the game to the max. Like you said, this isn't a WoW clone, you won't be entertained forever, simply not enough to do.

Items were designed better, they weren't any easier to get. Consider this, the rune "Zod" was considered so rare, it was unlikely you would find it during your entire time playing the game. Everything in the entire game was duped because it was all too hard to find. Whats the difference now?

If you REALLY played D2, and I mean REALLY, the only REAL difference between d2 and d3 now is the lack of PvP.

D2 was extremely social, and it had a die hard PvP crowd which made up most of the players.

Fix those two issues and you'll have a way better game. You have to add a competitive element to the game, and a social tool to make sure everyone knows who is on top. ;)
I have a thought! If you don't have any details then DON"T ANSWER THE QUESTION!
I would rather not see political double talk and wait until there is something they can answer directly.

I respect that, but your opinion is not one shared universally. We have plenty of people also saying, "We don't care if you don't have exact details, just tell us what you're working on!" This applied especially to itemization.

I think it's better for us to err on the side of frequent communication, even if we're only discussing possible changes and don't have exact implementation worked out.

But that's the problem. Seems like nothing is being done except for constant "discussion" about the problem. No resolutions.

This is what your process looks like

Office discussion... 2012 - August
(2 weeks)
more discussion...
(2 weeks)
share information that they're discussing it in office...
(2 weeks)
planning...
(2 weeks)
share information about planning...
(2 weeks)
conceptual stage...
(2 weeks)
defining timeline...
(2 weeks)
defining design stage..
(2 weeks)
share information about the design...
(2 weeks)
design stage...
(2 weeks)
defining implementation stage...
(2 weeks)
share information about the implementation stage...
(2 weeks)
implementation to PTR
(2 weeks)
tweaking the implementation... 2013 - April
(2 weeks, at least)
Live patch

The change?

"Identify All" button.
Edited by Jan3Sobieski#1482 on 4/9/2013 9:37 AM PDT
So Lylirra (see I haven't misspelled your name =P), Since this is a thread about itemization and you hinted that you guys are looking into feedback. What do you think about my suggestions pertaining new/different types of legendaries? I'd really like some feedback on them:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196604635#1
View profile

Somewhat agree. But you know, there are always these bunch of ducks who keep quacking the words "at least give us some idea of what to expect". Sounds familiar? And then another moment, "No more Dev Q&A" like this thread's name. So, who are the Smart Alecks who say "Represent the Majority"?

The point of the Q&A is to assure us that something will definitely be done and to create some excitement.

These annoying ducks are the ones who quack and drive companies out of business in no time. No dumb company in this world rush to develop end-product. TBH, products are meant to be partially developed and revised further at small stages to ensure continued interest and thus, sustainable financial growth. How many versions of Iphones so far? How many products have seen being repackaged or mentioned New Formula?. Pls don't childishly nag about "Oh Blizz only cares about money", only kids do that bcos they are still nursing in their small, naive and narrow-minded world where they don't have to earn for a living. Sometimes, certain products are not suitable for certain individuals and they complain. Why? They don't even know what they truly want or need. They don't make the effort to understand what suits them and what not. How shame is that?

Exactly, what would you guys rather? Dead silence or at least SOME form of update. Sorry its not EXACTLY what you want, but its better than NOTHING.

Hell I remember, it must have been at least 3-4 months ago, when blues went silent for maybe 2-3 weeks. Hell broke loose on the forums. So for christ sake, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU GUYS WANT?
I think the best word of advice Lylirra gave was to just go do something else for a while. Come back, maybe, as there are definitely things they are working on and will improve on in the future.

While I do think that the discussions they are attempting to have with the fan base is frustrating, its not going to help to complain about the process, it will only make it worse.

Bottom line is, if the game is not filling half our expectations for a true Diablo game, then almost any discussion they can have about improvements is not going to satisfy us. Also, they aren't going to come out and say they are doing something, then not release that feature. Any community is going to get confused, angry, upset over this.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]