Diablo® III

No more Dev Q&As

View profile
GGG plans on releasing the game at September, it will not be always in beta like some unethical company's.
I can totally tolerate PoE's game crash problem (which mostly happens on 32bit machines) because the instanced areas last for 8 to 15 minutes before closed.
And solution for now, expanding "-gc 1" or "-gc 2" to the shortcut will delay it's happening.

As to D3, I don't know if or not they've fixed the Furious Charge bug that prevents you from doing anything but leaving the game. The bug lasts for at least half a year without being fixed, I sincerely don't understand why such bug is not highly prioritized. Or perhaps the can't do anything but leaving the game was already the fix, the character can't die anyway, case closed :x

That bug has been in since day 1.

It was just made more common to a massive extent in 1.0.4(?).

But, yes, that ignored bug (and there are others with FC) is testimony to the Blizzard D3 lack of caring and snail pace development. It took a thread which linked over 100 ignored threads about that bug to get a response of 'Thanks guys, we're working on it.', for nothing to happen still.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006892777

It looks like the creator of the thread has given up now, too.

I have to say that some players think that all bugs are created equal, but in actuality they are not all created equal. There are different as night and day. Some are easy to spot and they know what is causing the bug and where it is at in the code. These are the ones that are also easy to reproduce.

But then there are others that might be easy to reproduce. But then finding the part of the code that is causing the bug might be like finding a needle in a haystack. Then take some bugs that are hard for the bug team to reproduce. Even if you give them all of the needed information, that bug still might not be easy to reproduce. So trying to figure out how to fix it will not be easy at all.

04/10/2013 03:12 AMPosted by Rocotito
We're going to keep improving Diablo III and building it into an even better game no matter what, and hopefully what we're working on will really appeal to you. If you're not sure it appeals to you just yet, that's cool too; like I said, we'll be sharing more info as new things develop, and you can make a more informed decision then.

Lylirra, there is no need to reinvent the wheel, the closer D3 to D2 Lod, the better and a happier player comunity.

All questions in Q & A seek to understand if the development team is moving in the right direction (closer to D2 Lod), but all answers and modifications made to the game since release have a diferent flavor, I read all the time "D3 is all about this and that ", please make sure to honour the succesfuly design of D2 Lod, it is fun to play even today. I'm pretty sure if you make radical changes to incorporate many features from D2 even the people that have invested money on the game (like myself) will no complain, please do not fear radical changes, the situation could not be worst than today

If this game wound up becoming a perfect HD copy of D2:LOD with a different story, I would quit the second it would do that. I like the majority here want an improvement to D2:LOD not a perfect clone of that game. I want D3 to be an improvement on the series like D2:LOD was to D1. Comments like this made me wonder why players of D1 did not complain and say that you had to incorporate all of D1's features in order for D2 to be fine. Nostalgia might be fine for some but not the majority here.

The Q&A ignore the most frequent questions by players, so they are of very little to no value. Some PR, thats it.

Where are the Q&A on class balance? Duping? AH / RMA future?

Less "bake a pie contest", more "we are moving class X towards class Y with changes A&B .."

What are they gonna do about duping when the biggest duper is Blizz due to the account rollbacks that were not BoA. Now that all regions have the same feature of all future account rollbacks are BoA. The sea of duping should go down drastically. The only dupes in the market now would be ones that already exist. Or in some cases players would actually try to fake it. In order to make it look like players are able to dupe. How they go about it might not be known but it can still happen.
There is too much decision making by committee in this game. The devs have to get all these approvals and permissions and establish pc budget because the console has a budget and team and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a handheld team also. This is why it takes so long to get anything done add to the fact that they have to save stuff for the expansion and what you have is a recipe for disaster. This plagues all big developers. Too many hands cooks in the kitchen.

It is the same reason why big network TV shows suck. They are stripped of depth and soul by committee, budgets and bigwigs.
View profile
So, you might think my issue is that I disagreed with your statement. But, actually, I somewhat agree. Here is my issue though...you seem to be forgetting how Activision/Blizzard failed to deliver what they promised by launch. Not only did they dash our hopes and expectations, they outright lied to us in a few ways and continue to do so now. This has violated our trust.

Now this is not necessarily* an attack on the developers/designers/techs etc who make and maintain the game. Even if they have been guilty of this it is likely only because someone has told them what they can or cannot say and even what they can or cannot do in their jobs.

This relates to another disagreement I had with your statements. Let me quote again:

I have learned to never look at anything a game company says will be there at launch as a promise. Even if they say it will be there. My first MMO taught me that lessen. It is called City of Heroes. In the first showing of that game there were no archetypes (classes). You had complete freedom of power choices. You even had PvP in the game. And the only restrictions where the number of powers you could choose. The origins you chose had a meaning. The origins you chose would set the number of powers you could chose over the course of your career as a hero.

But during the iterations of the game they knew that players were not ready to handle such freedom of power selection. So they went with the archetypes and power sets.

Also they realized that players could not understand the motivations of a hero that got their powers from science compared to one that is tech based. They knew the motivation of orcs and elves in fantasy games, but not the motivations of the origins in City of Heroes. So they removed the limits on the power selection and gave all heroes the same number of powers regardless of origin. So the origin only was to be there to tell the story of how your hero got their powers. It had no other affect on your hero.

PvP was scrapped early in the development. So that game and the fact that I have played in other betas and have seen that some things that wee promised to be in the game but at launch were not. Is why I will never look on anything a company says will be there as truly being a promise. Due to my personal experiences with online games.

Again, I don't necessarily 100% disagree with your statement. But I think it is a little off target. First of all, you can't have it both ways, either the developers know what they're doing and are confident in their abilities or they don't and they aren't. If they know that they know what they're doing, why should what we say bother them? I would think that ludicrous demands from corporate up on high would stifle their creativity much more than what we say and time crunches caused by Blizzard's apparently massively bureaucratic-like inefficiencies would stress them out more than reading negative community comments/or not reading enough positive comments.

There is so much more I would like to comment upon both is agreement and disagreement with a lot of your posts in this thread, but I need a break, so this last paragraph--for now--will touch upon another thing that bothered me, not too much, but just a little..perhaps I misunderstood what you meant so if you could clarify, it would be great:

I know how I am as a person, and I can tell you that Blizz is way more tolerant than I would be with this bunch of forum posters. If there was pills for tolerance, Blizz has the horn of plenty concerning that pill.

They know that they are in a catch 22. Damned if they actually do the right then and fix the issue, or damned if they do nothing. It is like I said if you get to the point where the players on the forums will not acknowledge anything you have done for the game as being the right thing to do. It could make anyone wonder why do I even bother doing anything for this game at all. That will stifle creativity.

As human beings we need commendation from time to time. We need people to recognize the good things we do. Those warm commendations pick up our spirits and can motivate us to do even better. But if the majority of what we get are kicks in the pants, when there are a lot of good things we did for a game. Then that could stifle creativity, and in time the will to do anything at all for the game could die. So in time this rabid forums could actually kill the game if Blizz let's them kill their desire to do anything at all for the game.

So, I wanted to clarify.. when you say such things, are you talking about me or about other players/posters or both? Whom are you referring to? I am not arrogant enough to assume you're talking about me.. nor do I speak for all people you might be talking about.. but I think I might understand where they're coming from.. so I'd like to explain a few things about what I think above the last two quotes I got from you.

We both are no doubt passionate about this game or we would not be here having a discussion in the first place. Both of us would be off playing other games. Also we each have different feelings about this game. But no doubt we both want it to be an improvement over what D2:LOD gave us, instead of being a perfect HD clone of that game.

So since we are different people we will have different ideas and thoughts on a lot of subjects. I will take one in order to show and example. Some players say that the RMAH will not allow Blizz to make any drastic changes to itemization. But I disagree with them, because Blizz has already done it once with the buff to legendaries and no doubt will do it again. But this time it does not need to be nearly as drastic.

Where you personally one the other hand might agree that itemization will never be fixed until you remove the RMAH. So now see the point I am making. We just will have different subjects that we either agree or agree to disagree on.

I will continue my reply because I feel that I can have a civil conversation with you. And that is something that I enjoy doing having a civil conversation with others.
I have to say that some players think that all bugs are created equal, but in actuality they are not all created equal. There are different as night and day. Some are easy to spot and they know what is causing the bug and where it is at in the code. These are the ones that are also easy to reproduce.

But then there are others that might be easy to reproduce. But then finding the part of the code that is causing the bug might be like finding a needle in a haystack. Then take some bugs that are hard for the bug team to reproduce. Even if you give them all of the needed information, that bug still might not be easy to reproduce. So trying to figure out how to fix it will not be easy at all.

You would have a point, if not for our past experience with D3 where easily fixed bugs are ignored until they go viral as an exploit.

Let's look at the Barbarian bug that was exploitable, the one where you charged into certain boss encounters and could keep an array of very powerful skill effects permanently.

We saw this go viral, shortly after the invulnerable Wizard bug, by the same means; popular pissed off streamers blowing the cover. The Wiz bug itself had also been reported to Blizz months earlier but I'll give you the run down of the Barbarian bug.

The Barb bug was reported in general forum over 1 month before it went viral.
The OP was advised to post in bug forum.
The OP reported in bug forum and was advised to report to hacks@blizz with details.
The OP contacted hacks@blizz with a full description of the bug, screenshots and step by step reproduction.
This all within a day or two, over 1 month before the streamers blew it up.

Within hours of the stream and the bug going viral, the bug was fixed.

Now, tell me again that these bugs are not fixed because they are hard to trace.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 4/10/2013 8:13 AM PDT
View profile
A lot of people confuse a lot of my ideas (or my hatred of the damage the AH has done to this game) as a call to go back to the way things were in Diablo 2..these people are both right and wrong. I want the quality and level of complexity of the game to go back to Diablo 2 level (or better). Also, certain lessons were learned in Diablo 2/LoD that the current dev.s seem to ignore or not remember at all. Also, certain things in Diablo 2/LoD were just fun! We can move in a new direction and the game can *stand on its own two feet* without trying to be completely different from Diablo 2 in every way. Think about your analogy:

When the team that designed D2 left they took with them some of those lesions that they learned. They might not have written them down. So the new team members had to just go by the forum posts on the D2 forums to figure out how to design D3. Who knows they might have written them down but the devs might not have read them or threw them out when they started over.

But we do know that the new members were not experience with the Diablo franchise beyond actually playing it. That is what can and has bit them in the butt.

In a lot of ways, I just think my ideas (or other posters' ideas) would help this game to be more fun *if properly designed, tested then implemented*. Recently, I started whining a *little* less and posting my own ideas in my own new threads. Despite how much I type/talk, I'm actually shy and fearful of rejection..so this was a difficult step for me.. usually I have hidden behind humor, played devil's advocate, played the critic or I simply read and did not post at all.. Until recently, I didn't make my own threads. But I wanted to contribute more and whine less. I thought I had good ideas and I wanted to contribute towards the success of this game...for now, all I can do to help is to put my ideas on these forums.

I too want to be part of the solution to the problem. Some players just do not understand the feeling when you make a suggestion to the devs of any game and you eventually see that suggestion implemented in some way into the game. It makes you feel good beyond compare. My first experience is City of Heroes. There was a power in the regeneration power set called Moment of Glory. That power was totally opposite of what regen is all about.

Now I will not bore you with all of the facts about how that power originally was. But only give you enough info to help you understand my feelings mentioned above. Moment of Glory was a power that had a two minute duration and a long cooldown. Now at the end of the duration your health was reduced to 10% of your maximum health, and you could not regenerate health for a short period of time. IIRC you could still pop an equivalent of a health potion in that game.

So if you used that in a fight against a tough boss type fight in that game. When the two minutes where up if the boss was not dead and the tank lost aggro. Then chances are you would be dead in one to two hits. So I suggested that the health only be reduces to about 25% of max health at the end of two minutes. This would give you at least a chance to survive by popping inspirations (potions), instead of in one to two hits you are dead. The devs of that game actually used that suggestion and it worked out fine for a while until they really fixed the power permanently for the better.

Knowing I had a small hand in that game and actually that change made the game better. Made me feel like I was a junior member of the dev team. That feeling is carried over here when some of my suggestion are seen in this game in some way. Case in point I suggested that they could at least double the mana regeneration rate of WD. Then low and behold that is what they do in one of the patches.
04/10/2013 08:12 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
Then low and behold that is what they do in one of the patches.

And as 1.0.8 hits PTR, a few million people get all proud at being a part of D3 development as ID all appears in game. 10 months late, but, meh..
View profile

You would have a point, if not for our past experience with D3 where easily fixed bugs are ignored until they go viral as an exploit.

Let's look at the Barbarian bug that was exploitable, the one where you charged into certain boss encounters and could keep an array of very powerful skill effects permanently.

We saw this go viral, shortly after the invulnerable Wizard bug, by the same means; popular pissed off streamers blowing the cover. The Wiz bug itself had also been reported to Blizz months earlier but I'll give you the run down of the Barbarian bug.

The OP reported in bug forum and was advised to report to hacks@blizz with details.
The OP contacted hacks@blizz with a full description of the bug, screenshots and step by step reproduction.

Now, tell me again that these bugs are not fixed because they are hard to trace.

I think that having about a month to reproduce a bug that was no doubt easy to reproduce and find. Then while they were busying figuring out how to code the fix. During the testing of that bug fix is when the streamers blew it up. So that the fix came a day or two later.

Thank you for opening up my eyes though. I see you are absolutely right. All bugs are super easy to fix. It is just the bug team ignores the bugs.

So since fixing bugs and doing a lot of things in designing a video game is easy. I guess then I can be a video game designer without any training at all. Coding is super easy that a two year old could do it in their sleep. So I could go from having zero knowledge and experience and make a game like Path of Exile or D3 in a matter of two months. All without any bugs or any other issues because it is super easy right.

Now I want you to prove it to me that the above is true, with your degree in video game degree and computer programming degree. Along with your vast experience at designing and working on fixing bugs for a video game. I mean it is super easy after all right.

Back to reality. I know better than that and that the above and it is not as easy as you think it is. Like I said above the one posting about the bug that was also part of the exploit actually gave Blizz about a month to reproduce the bug and fix it. Trust me if that streamers did not blow it at all. Blizz would've still fixed it at the same time that they did.
04/08/2013 11:46 PMPosted by Lylirra
You want to make the game the best possible but dismiss people constantly while pushing your own agenda. Right.

We want to make the best game possible. Can we make the best game possible for everyone? Probably not. There are a lot of varying opinions out there about what makes a good game vs. what doesn't. Are we going try? Definitely.

Will we still make decisions that feel right to our developers and align with their goals? Yes. Will we keep reevaluating what that is in light of community feedback? Absolutely. While we're responsible for the vision and design of Diablo III (in a way, I guess that's an agenda), we're also creating the experience for our players. This doesn't mean we're going to implement every piece of feedback we get, but it does mean we value that feedback considerably and use it as a touchstone whenever making/considering changes or adding new content.

A lot of the stuff in 1.0.8 is actually inspired by conversations we saw in this very forum. Speaking of, 1.0.8 is up on PTR, would love your impressions after you've gotten the opportunity to play.

L i love you, seriously you're great but stop feeding the trolls. There are many other people here asking questions but you are focusing so much on this one person who can't see the forest for the trees. They dont understand how the real world works and as a result will never be happy.
There's a HUGE difference between "Don't like it? Don't play it!" and "Don't like it? Let us know why. We want to make Diablo III the best game possible, and we're going to keep supporting it until it gets there. We'd love to have you playing alongside us during that process, but if not, we understand. Thanks so much for the criticisms, we hope that our efforts will have us cross paths again!"

But please, keep twisting my words to support your own message. =/

I have the utmost respect for everything the CM's have to deal with here. However, you are dealing with the public. A public that can hide behind the veil of anonymity.

Comments like the one about twisting your words are purely antagonistic, regardless of how hurt others words make you feel. They will only bring on more venom.

I would suggest that people in a position of customer service not take things so personally, as upset customers will only become more aggressive if you give them something to feed on.

I have studied/consulted on customer service for years Lylirra. I think you have an awesome personality and just wanted to offer you my .02

Good luck in your endeavors. =)
There's a HUGE difference between "Don't like it? Don't play it!" and "Don't like it? Let us know why. We want to make Diablo III the best game possible, and we're going to keep supporting it until it gets there. We'd love to have you playing alongside us during that process, but if not, we understand. Thanks so much for the criticisms, we hope that our efforts will have us cross paths again!"

But please, keep twisting my words to support your own message. =/

I have the utmost respect for everything the CM's have to deal with here. However, you are dealing with the public. A public that can hide behind the veil of anonymity.

Comments like the one about twisting your words are purely antagonistic, regardless of how hurt others words make you feel. They will only bring on more venom.

I would suggest that people in a position of customer service not take things so personally, as upset customers will only become more aggressive if you give them something to feed on.

I have studied/consulted on customer service for years Lylirra. I think you have an awesome personality and just wanted to offer you my .02

Good luck in your endeavors. =)

I disagree, he clearly twisted the words and she called him on it. hes a troll. Her statement of "take a break, keep an eye on what we are doing and come back when you are ready" was a very good answer. Its something i have practiced in the past and something i will do in the future. They can only update so often, this isn't POE with its 6000 players, d3 has millions of players and changes need to be more careful when you are affecting millions of people
04/10/2013 08:47 AMPosted by chasa619
disagree, he clearly twisted the words and she called him on it. hes a troll. Her statement of "take a break, keep an eye on what we are doing and come back when you are ready" was a very good answer. Its something i have practiced in the past and something i will do in the future. They can only update so often, this isn't POE with its 6000 players, d3 has millions of players and changes need to be more careful when you are affecting millions of people

That's exactly my point. Even if he did it, she can address it without antagonizing it. She made it personal. A big no-no in customer service.
04/10/2013 09:38 AMPosted by Oriion
disagree, he clearly twisted the words and she called him on it. hes a troll. Her statement of "take a break, keep an eye on what we are doing and come back when you are ready" was a very good answer. Its something i have practiced in the past and something i will do in the future. They can only update so often, this isn't POE with its 6000 players, d3 has millions of players and changes need to be more careful when you are affecting millions of people

That's exactly my point. Even if he did it, she can address it without antagonizing it. She made it personal. A big no-no in customer service.

she did address it with antagonizing him. That was the third time in the conversation that he had done it, if he cant show a little respect then she needs to either stop responding or respond in a way that says exactly what she said.

I think that having about a month to reproduce a bug that was no doubt easy to reproduce and find. Then while they were busying figuring out how to code the fix. During the testing of that bug fix is when the streamers blew it up. So that the fix came a day or two later.

Thank you for opening up my eyes though. I see you are absolutely right. All bugs are super easy to fix. It is just the bug team ignores the bugs.

So since fixing bugs and doing a lot of things in designing a video game is easy. I guess then I can be a video game designer without any training at all. Coding is super easy that a two year old could do it in their sleep. So I could go from having zero knowledge and experience and make a game like Path of Exile or D3 in a matter of two months. All without any bugs or any other issues because it is super easy right.

Now I want you to prove it to me that the above is true, with your degree in video game degree and computer programming degree. Along with your vast experience at designing and working on fixing bugs for a video game. I mean it is super easy after all right.

Back to reality. I know better than that and that the above and it is not as easy as you think it is. Like I said above the one posting about the bug that was also part of the exploit actually gave Blizz about a month to reproduce the bug and fix it. Trust me if that streamers did not blow it at all. Blizz would've still fixed it at the same time that they did.

My god, I know you don't believe that and don't expect me to believe it or me to believe that you believe that.

The incompetence of the D3 team in both developing and bug fixing is beyond defense.
Well it's not really incompetence, it's rather that they just don't support the game in any relevant way, as they are told.

But, carry on with your crusade, Mr.Shadow.
Nothing like a white knight to stir up people giving constructive feedback and turn it into a cesspit.
Your kind are a developer's worst enemy, even though you think you are doing good.
04/10/2013 08:25 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
Trust me if that streamers did not blow it at all. Blizz would've still fixed it at the same time that they did.

I don't believe that hotfix to the invulnerable exploit was a coincidence while I agree some bugs are not easy to reproduce and trace and even fix when you already know the cause. I respect programmers more than anyone else because they are the geeks doing the most complicated job related to everything and can hardly share enjoyment of work to everyone as game designers, graphic artists and musicians do, and are least praised by the players although the games will easily stop functioning if they do something wrong.

Even though, it have been 6 months since the Dashing Strike/ Furious Charge bug, was confirmed officially on the forum although according to your assumption they should have worked on it since very early when someone submitted it. Isn't it reasonable that bugs like it that completely interrupts gameplay, be fixed or handled properly after such a period of time if not impossible?

Or simply tell me it is impossible.
[quote]

The incompetence of the D3 team in both developing and bug fixing is beyond defense.
Well it's not really incompetence, it's rather that they just don't support the game in any relevant way, as they are told.

let me guess, you are a programmer and you could have made diablo3 in 4 weeks right?
[quote]

let me guess, you are a programmer and you could have made diablo3 in 4 weeks right?

Nope, not a developer or a programmer and couldn't have contributed to D3 programming one single bit.

Your point?
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 4/10/2013 12:40 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]