Diablo® III

How viablo non-archon, non-ww/cm?

I am considering rolling a wizard, but I am not really interested in being an archon all the time, or spamming buttons like a ww/cm wizard. Are more straight forward builds viable in higher mps? I was thinking something like this. But haven't finalized anything. If I plan to have good crit chance, attack speed, crit damage, and APoC, is using a signature skill just a waste? Thanks

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#blYSQO!TWg!cYYcaZ
Reply Quote
That build will not be effective at all. You only need blizard or nova not both. Living lighting is pitiful damage, its only good for proccing CM. read the build compendium sticky post, there are a lot of non archon non cm/ww builds there
Reply Quote
The power of the wizard is attack speed. More attacks means more AP generated and more life on hit and less cooldowns. Basically the faster you are, the faster you are, so speed is everything.

Blizzard is the same at .9 attack speed and 4.0 attack speed, because it does not stack, if doesn't matter how many blizzards you cast on one mob, so it is a horribly inefficient skill unless you are so over-geared that you can one-shot trash mobs with a single blizzard... it used to be about 200k dps for mp0 , it is probably closer to 120k dps now.... therefore blizzard is a waste, in nearly all situations and gear levels... beyond "not quite geared for MP0, but want to kite anyway" and "specifically exploit blizzard's dot mechanism for delayed kills for xp"

Basically, if you *think* blizzard is a good idea, it isn't. If you KNOW something specific about blizzard that you want, and have really good reasons to use it, it still probably isn't a good idea.

Living lightning is amazing, living lightning + prodigy = infinite Arcane power, but you need to spend it on something that stacks, like meteor, or arcane orb (which is like a worse version of meteor)
Living lightning + prodigy + 2.5 attack speed = casting 2 meteors per second and never running out of arcane power.

From there, you can use critical mass to use any spell you want with very little cood-down.

The problem is that even with 2 meteors per second,plus a living lightning every other second, you are still 1/4-1/2 as efficient as an SNS wizard. You can even use all the same spells as them, but you won't do the kind of damage or lockdown as them... never.

Cliff's notes:
There are spammy builds (everything but SNS is at least 50% worse than SNS)
There are Archon builds
and there are inefficient builds

The end.
Reply Quote
I will say that a prodigy/LL meteor build like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#PQbXhT!cbg!bZcccc

Would probably out-xp most other builds, maybe even archon, if you had 160k dps and really decent mitigation on mp3 once the new mob density comes out.

I peaked at 60m xp per hour running traditional Alk run (not just scorpion exploiting) with that build, the mobility and trash mob dps is insane in that build, and with the wall to wall trash of some new areas, xp will be very good at low mp for that.

You can't really run SNS in low mp unless you aren't really geared, and it is slow xp, but if you want a spam build for low mp xp farming (if you hate archon like I do) then this one is pretty great.
Reply Quote
Basically, if you *think* blizzard is a good idea, it isn't. If you KNOW something specific about blizzard that you want, and have really good reasons to use it, it still probably isn't a good idea.

What? There are low- and mid-geared wizards playing BlizzBlades just fine on mp1-7.
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 10:33 AMPosted by jenpeezey

What? There are low- and mid-geared wizards playing BlizzBlades just fine on mp1-7.

just fine is different from viable imo...

You can run any set of skills you want, but if you want to start from "CM/WW and Archon" being viable builds, you need to measure against them... if it throws out 50% less eDPS is it "viable?" what about 75% less? If it attempts crowd control but you get hit 90% more often than SNS, is it still "viable?" If you want xp per hour, how much less than archon is viable? 50% less? 75% less?

I am just saying, blizzard mechanics are such that unless it is at 1 shot dps level, or you using it for a specific purpose, like the belial kill video, it would be better to cast almost any other spell, because blizzard is a 1-shot skill, it is impossible to stack.
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Shaggy
just fine is different from viable imo...

You can run BlizzBlades on mp10, but it's not viable if you consider average players' amount of wealth. You have to be unaffordably geared for it to work quickly on 10; it's not as speedy as archon (gear sets are similar). So why wouldn't someone out there just use archon? Archon on 10 is not exactly viable for players who don't have billions of gold to spend.

Some players just do not want to touch either archon or crit mass. Like the OP.
Reply Quote
Forked lightning blizzard hydra is still decent with similar gear to all other builds
Reply Quote
There can be plenty of viable builds for higher MP levels if you go for more balanced gear or specialize your gear to make certain skills more effective. This will definitely mean spending a bit more on the gear, but if done properly it allows you to have much more versatility in your skill choices. Granted, CM and Archon builds are popular for good reason. They are probably the two most viable builds for wizards overall. But, I've always been more concerned with having fun than being efficient. Here's just a few of the builds I've tried up to as high as MP 8-9 which I found to be lots of fun:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#URSQjT!aXd!ZZZcaY
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#lZjQeT!ZXW!YbYccZ
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WiSQlf!ZUW!YaZcYZ
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WeSQlf!ZXW!YaacYZ
Reply Quote
With piss poor gear you can 1 shot white mobs with blizzard as high as mp4-5 and even further if you gear properly for the skill ie. Low attack spped high damage weapon and a + blizzard duration occulus offhand. One shotting all trash and blazing through maps with blizzard is incredibly efficient. Dont let these guys tell you otherwise. Sure dumping 1 bil into an sns set up is going to make you more efficient at higher mp but if you are looking for a non-cm/sns/arcon setup then blizzblades is the way to go. Just know that it does have limitations because it doesnt scale as well as those other builds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]