Diablo® III

D3's Current Roadmap

04/08/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
Right now, items that are best-in-slot for a Demon Hunter are probably also best-in-slot for a Monk, and that's one of the big things we're looking to address.

So if looking at the step-by step process:

1.) YOU ARE HERE Travis Day agrees that there is a problem
2.) PTR was just released
3.) 2-3 weeks they release patch 1.0.8
4.) 1-2 weeks they release the rest of the round 2 of ask the dev's
5.) 1-2 months of no change
6.) Round 3 of ask the dev's is announced.
7.) 1 week later we all create our questions and vote.
8.) 1-2 weeks of no change.
9.) Part 1 of ask the dev's round 3 is released.
10.) 1-2 weeks of no change.
11.) part 2 of ask the dev's round 3 is released.
12.) 1-2 weeks of no change.
13.) Part 3 of ask the dev's round 3 is released.
14.) 1-2 weeks they release the BIG ITEMIZATION PTR
15.) 2-3 weeks they release BIG ITEMIZATION patch and the "universal BIS problem MIGHT be fixed"

So even if there are ZERO DELAYS in the current business model, we might have a solution to one of the major problems in 5-6 months. Considering there is usually delays, it will probably be longer.

Then we'll finally be at a point where we will have more interesting items. But then there is still the problem of End-game. Farming just so we can farm acts 1-4 quicker is not end-game and that is all we currently have. Even the blues agree:

We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game.

There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

Will we ever be at a point where we're able to hunt for interesting items AND gear up for challenging engaging endgame content? Is there still plans for such PvE content and full team matchmaking PvP with rewards or has it all been scrapped?

The item hunt is a lot of fun when you have an ultimate goal or objective. When that objective is not there, everything else falls apart. Please understand.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 4/12/2013 11:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The item hunt is a lot of fun when you have an ultimate goal or objective. When that objective is not there, everything else falls apart. Please understand.

I agree with this statement.

In D2 I liked re-rolling and seeing if a new char could make it to the end despite weird skill choices. I liked replaying because I could find stuff that seemed useful to particular builds that I didn' try or to characters that I already had. Maybe not at all "optimal" but sure as hell fun.
Reply Quote

this is true.
Edited by 연두#3722 on 4/12/2013 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 11:26 PMPosted by Chillaxin
The item hunt is a lot of fun when you have an ultimate goal or objective. When that objective is not there, everything else falls apart

Chillaxin with another brilliant line!
Reply Quote
I just made another thread related to this. I completely agree with pretty much everything you have said and I still think their missing the point.

Right now, items that are best-in-slot for a Demon Hunter are probably also best-in-slot for a Monk, and that's one of the big things we're looking to address.

See I think they are overthinking things... they are working backwards big issues that need to be addressed are the endgame is boring and the itemization sucks... the itemization sucking is not a result of the demon hunter and monk having the same best in slot items...the demon hunter and monk having the same best in slots is a result of the poor itemization. they are trying to address specific issues instead of everything as a whole and since they address issues in such slow intervals it sucks having to wait till they make a minor change to try and get the message of what we really want across. if they can take a new philosophy on itemization as a whole and then look into items for each character it will be so much easier to work with
Edited by Garret99#1779 on 4/12/2013 11:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 11:30 PMPosted by scorch
In D2 I liked re-rolling and seeing if a new char could make it to the end despite weird skill choices. I liked replaying because I could find stuff that seemed useful to particular builds that I didn' try or to characters that I already had. Maybe not at all "optimal" but sure as hell fun.

I did the same thing. I had 6 accounts full of Diablo 2 characters. With Diablo3, I don't even want to play a 2nd character because I'll lose 300% MF while playing on that character. What a shame.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 4/12/2013 11:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Garret99
they are trying to address specific issues instead of everything as a whole and since they address issues in such slow intervals it sucks having to wait till they make a minor change to try and get the message of what we really want across

+1

Great thread.
Reply Quote
Wanna know what's even worse? All that is assuming 1.0.9 is itemization. There's no guarantee that it is, and they never said it would be.
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 11:44 PMPosted by Kupo
Wanna know what's even worse? All that is assuming 1.0.9 is itemization. There's no guarantee that it is, and they never said it would be

Yikes! You have a point.

As I said, "it will probably be even longer"

04/12/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Garret99
they are trying to address specific issues instead of everything as a whole and since they address issues in such slow intervals it sucks having to wait till they make a minor change to try and get the message of what we really want across

I definitely agree.
Reply Quote
Will we ever be at a point where we're able to hunt for interesting items AND gear up for challenging engaging endgame content?

I've been asking for challenging content since beta.

Honestly, doesn't seem like challenging content is even on the to-do list at this point, considering how backwards "challenging" has gone since game release until now.

Blizzard even openly mentioned in their Blog post that people will be rolling over MP10 Inferno as soon as it was released, which seems like a clear sign that they don't intend for content to be challenging in D3.

-----

It's actually kind of funny since I upload videos from time to time, and people have asked me on multiple occasions why the total value of items I wear are worth less than the gold i'm holding. Just isn't much use to buy better items in a game that doesn't need better items for progression :P
Reply Quote
depends who you are talking about.

For the normal players Mp10 is indeed a challange. Please, dont use anyone with insane gear or some hardcore players as example. Those are NOT what makes a game. Diablo was made to be played by a lot of people. Not just the 1%.

The next issue is, how much of a "challange" do you have in an gear based game? there are enough people which will tell you that with the righ items of course, not even old Inferno was a real challange. Hiting 2 buttons all the time. Your main attack and revenge. That was neither difficult, nor a challange. Hence why some people made so much money with Diablo 3 when it was very new. They bought their way to the top, farming the hardest difficulty and selling the crap they found to people that just steped in to Inferno.

What made Inferno a challange was that you could not even hope to find the gear to play it in a decent way. So it was all about dieing your way trough and kiting the creatures. And that was not fun for most of the people. It still isnt. Particuilarly not for meele characters.

So please, think about it when you say "D3 has no challanges". We are playing a gear based game after all. You can not "buy" your way to the top in a game like Unreal or Counter Strike. But you can in Diablo 3. Throw some 2 or 3 000 $ at the game and you will be the top DPS guy in your region.
Reply Quote
View profile
depends who you are talking about.

For the normal players Mp10 is indeed a challange. Please, dont use anyone with insane gear or some hardcore players as example. Those are NOT what makes a game. Diablo was made to be played by a lot of people. Not just the 1%.

The next issue is, how much of a "challange" do you have in an gear based game? there are enough people which will tell you that with the righ items of course, not even old Inferno was a real challange. Hiting 2 buttons all the time. Your main attack and revenge. That was neither difficult, nor a challange. Hence why some people made so much money with Diablo 3 when it was very new. They bought their way to the top, farming the hardest difficulty and selling the crap they found to people that just steped in to Inferno.

What made Inferno a challange was that you could not even hope to find the gear to play it in a decent way. So it was all about dieing your way trough and kiting the creatures. And that was not fun for most of the people. It still isnt. Particuilarly not for meele characters.

So please, think about it when you say "D3 has no challanges". We are playing a gear based game after all. You can not "buy" your way to the top in a game like Unreal or Counter Strike. But you can in Diablo 3. Throw some 2 or 3 000 $ at the game and you will be the top DPS guy in your region.

Mp10 is real challenge to me a normal player, but what i need to overcome it is "pay" or "flip" non farm....very sad result
Reply Quote
I don't know what's ultimately going to happen, but whether this kind of trend stays or not, I don't even see the announcement of the expansion at Blizzcon reviving any kind of large interest in this game. Diablo 3 is on it's way to the end because no matter what sort of balancing and exp/drop tweaks you do, it's still ultimately boring. Actual content is needed. (Like the OP has said)

Seriously, they keep iterating with the thousands of threads people post about itemization that they don't have anything planned at this time. They're going to wait it out as it seems. Include the oh so wonderful initial sales numbers if you want, but doesn't it just seem like a trainwreck in the end? Diablo's old legacy as a foundational ARPG completely altered. The game is centered around the auction house and right now, if you utilize the few basic methods you can ascend to basically defeat the game. Grinding endless paragon levels doing the exact same act over and over? Yeah that's fun.

Completely random to think of but take a game like Disgaea. With the item world you make your weapons more powerful and the level cap is 9999 with a random dungeon generator with interesting environment factors. That's all it takes!
Reply Quote
04/28/2013 05:09 AMPosted by Zuriel
Disgaea. With the item world you make your weapons more powerful and the level cap is 9999 with a random dungeon generator with interesting environment factors. That's all it takes!

Dude, I love Disgaea! I easily have over a thousand hours into it and still haven't beaten every secret boss. I love all the character customization!! I would be playing forver if a game like that had multiplayer and a good social aspect.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 4/28/2013 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 11:44 PMPosted by Kupo
Wanna know what's even worse? All that is assuming 1.0.9 is itemization. There's no guarantee that it is, and they never said it would be.

I know I'm not expecting any major changes this year.
Reply Quote
I don't think there's a Roadmap for the game as in

The current state of the game is A, B, and C. Our specific goals and vision are X, Y, and Z. Basted on that gap, we've created this specific development Roadmap (aka project plan) we will follow to achieve these objectives.

This would require them to have a good grasp of the current state of the game. They don't seem to have that - they just know that they aren't where they want to be.

It would also require them to have a specific future state plan and vision for the game. They don't seem to have that either, although they do talk about things around the office sometimes.

So it would be hard for them to create a Roadmap when they don't have a specific starting point or endpoint.

Instead in lieu of a roadmap, I think that they look at the development man-hours they have available in their budget and just sort of randomly pick things that fit. That would explain their weird priorities. They scope patches not by following a Roadmap or by severity of bug they fix, but instead they work on what fits to produce a patch once a quarter or so.
Reply Quote
I say 2.0 fixes all except for a few hotfixes here and there. only issue is D3 Xpac prolly wont get released till this time next year. Its sad that the game is only a year old and is in desperate need of an Xpac
Reply Quote
d3 roadmap = waste 8 years making mediocre game, hide mediocrity with very limited beta, release to 10 million sales and weather the storm while investing as little as possible into updates, cancel blizzcon for a year until people stop caring, then do the same thing with the expansion.

kotick needs to make his 65 million to fuel the private jet
Edited by TiduZ#1764 on 4/28/2013 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
who says there are only 3 parts to each Q&BS
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]