Diablo® III

PTR is an Act 3 nerf

<Edited>

EDIT: I realize that it is not as significant as a nerf as I (or others) have made it seem to be. In reality, for most players, 1.08 is a HUGE buff for exp. ( The vast majority of players are Paragon Softcore Leveling)

However, this could interfere with levels 1 - 60 and Hardcore.

In an attempt to answer a different question...

OP Here

Let me re-iterate some points that were missed altogether by essentially everyone.

First, let me say that part of my original argument did lack some credibility as far as level 60 and beyond because I did not realize that NV was buffed so much!

The part that was missed entirely was the repercussions to the natural leveling process (1 - 60) on softcore and hardcore.

So let's get this straight:

A) Having multiple choices is a good thing.
B) Removing silly exploits from the game is a good thing. (Farming SPECIFICALLY demon lobsters)
C) Interrupting the natural level process is a bad thing.

So part of my current curiosity is how the natural leveling process will work in 1.08?

Obviously, it's not a huge amount of experience, so I'm interested in how it will affect 1-60. (Hopefully not more grinding between those levels!)

IF there is repercussions to this, then players may find themselves repeating act 3 a couple of times in anticipation of act 4 (which is still easily the most difficult and least rewarding of all of the acts).

As far as "efficiency" and "leveling" or "optimization" and whatever is concerned, there is no reason to be upset because the changes to NV and Multi-Player conditions will make Paragon leveling unbelievably easy.

The goal of this thread was not to bash players and Blizzard employees by the way. (Thank you for the reply and the link!)

The patch 1.08 is a much-needed, and wonderful improvement to Diablo 3 and Blizzard is headed in the right direction as far as game design is concerned.

Please read posts before jumping to conclusions and being openly hostile. :-)
Edited by Feralheart#1686 on 4/10/2013 7:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So basically there were two mobs that gave way too much experience that people just farmed for that... nerfing that is fine. That doesn't mean you don't do act 3 any more. People don't just farm act 3 for exp.

People aren't going to farm Act 3 any less. The density of Act 3 was the model for the new density of the other acts. Act 3 is still just as viable to farm as any of the other acts are now.

Why is your first response to a "nerf" ... "I won't do Act 3 anymore!". Everyone always over reacts like this... they think because a change happens they have to stop playing a certain way. When they initially lowered the proc rate on Wicket Wind... CM Wizards came on this forum and cried about how they nerfed CM wizards and CM wizards were useless now and no one can be a CM wizard any more and etc etc. Then what happen? Everyone kept playing CM Wizards.

Act 3 is fine.
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 4/9/2013 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Act 3 is a boring act IMO (for me anyway). There's barely any random events. It's a linear line all day long. At least, in Act 1-2, I can do random dungeons/event as much as I want. Act 3 has maybe 3-4 good random events, most of them are in locations people don't bother going.
Reply Quote
http://diablo.somepage.com/info/paragon-distribution#paragon-distribution

I have provided the following link to give you an idea of the current leveling distribution within Diablo 3.

The exp nerf serves no purpose other than to HARM Diablo players.

Why would I be pleased with this?

This includes leveling through Normal, Nightmare, Hardcore, Inferno and beyond, AND Hardcore leveling.

The argument isn't "What act is better" or "What act do you guys like?"

The argument is the exp nerf serves no purpose other than to harm players trying to level up via Act 3.

If they want the other acts to become viable, simply provide more exp bonuses for those acts.
Edited by Feralheart#1686 on 4/9/2013 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The rationale behind the change was that a single scorpion had a disproportionately large amount of EXP compared to other monsters.

I am not generally a fan of nerfs, but this seems justified.
Reply Quote
So basically there were two mobs that gave way too much experience that people just farmed for that... nerfing that is fine. That doesn't mean you don't do act 3 any more. People don't just farm act 3 for exp.

People aren't going to farm Act 3 any less. The density of Act 3 was the model for the new density of the other acts. Act 3 is still just as viable to farm as any of the other acts are now.

Why is your first response to a "nerf" ... "I won't do Act 3 anymore!". Everyone always over reacts like this... they think because a change happens they have to stop playing a certain way. When they initially lowered the proc rate on Wicket Wind... CM Wizards came on this forum and cried about how they nerfed CM wizards and CM wizards were useless now and no one can be a CM wizard any more and etc etc. Then what happen? Everyone kept playing CM Wizards.

Act 3 is fine.

Glock and I don't always agree, but when we do...we agree quite strongly!

Act 3 is more than fine. It already had enough awesome places to farm items and XP that it was the standard for how they changed the other acts accordingly. Scorpions just gave too much XP relative to their mob density and absolute lack of difficulty. Who wants to be stuck in the craters all day getting far fewer items just to gain XP a bit faster?

Additionally, as I've pointed out in a couple threads, because of enemy health reductions in lower MP settings, if you play efficiently in MP6-7, you will gain more XP due to the now multiplicative nature of NV stacks (for XP only) faster, all while killing elites and getting more item drops. You just got upgraded and didn't even know it! =)
Reply Quote
who care bored of act 3 any ways, beside grind ur p lvl now before 1.08 live.
Reply Quote
I will continue to play Act 3.

Never once did I claim I wasn't going to, or that Act 3 is worthless now.

The point I am making is that there is no gain in harming a particular playstyle - the community as a whole would benefit from additions made everywhere else to compensate.

In comparison to other mobs, yes the scorpions obviously give a tremendous amount of experience, but the experience they nerfed was NOT moved somewhere else to compensate for it.

Thus, players leveling from 1 - 60 and beyond will find themselves advancing at a slower pace. This is especially an issue in Hardcore.

Every run through Act 3 and every kill earned will seem (and become) less valuable as a whole.

What everyone seems to be missing is not the idea of "is it viable" or "does it suck now."

What I am trying to convey is "Why not buff everything else to make it more appealing?"
Edited by Feralheart#1686 on 4/9/2013 1:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote

What I am trying to convey is "Why not buff everything else to make it more appealing?"

Apparently you didn't read the patch notes very well. They have increased mob density in all the other acts, which effectively "buffs everything else". Don't believe me? On the PTR, load up the "blood and sand" quest and head to the western channel in the ancient waterway... You'll thank me later.

Stop acting like the scorpion XP nerf is some tremendous bane to your existence because it isn't. You have PLENTY of other choices to XP farm now, and aren't being pigeonholed into running ONE map over and over and over (especially since you can get XP for the quests at 60 now too)

I for one welcome the change, I'm glad to get to see things other than stupid scorpions and witches and fallen maniacs, and I'm glad they are making it so I can easily farm my XP elsewhere so I don't become bored to tears running the same map a million times.
Edited by Spud#1171 on 4/9/2013 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm aware that they increased mob density.

I'm aware I will have choices.

My point was, why not allow for the same exp potential in every method?

I'm perfectly fine with having multiple options...

Oh well, no one seems to actually read what I am saying.
Edited by Feralheart#1686 on 4/9/2013 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I will continue to play Act 3.

Never once did I claim I wasn't going to, or that Act 3 is worthless now.

The point I am making is that there is no gain in harming a particular playstyle - the community as a whole would benefit from additions made everywhere else to compensate.

In comparison to other mobs, yes the scorpions obviously give a tremendous amount of experience, but the experience they nerfed was NOT moved somewhere else to compensate for it.

Thus, players leveling from 1 - 60 and beyond will find themselves advancing at a slower pace. This is especially an issue in Hardcore.

Every run through Act 3 and every kill earned will seem (and become) less valuable as a whole.

What everyone seems to be missing is not the idea of "is it viable" or "does it suck now."

If that is your problem with the reduction in XP then you either just missed the boat or, to be more subjective in my criticism, have a different view of the matter than many of the rest of us do. Reducing the amount of XP that scorpions give in no way harms anyone in my opinion. If anything it makes quality of life better by not forcing us to be relegated to AC2 farming. It's a horribly boring area with no diversity and if I'm only speaking for myself, I can never muster the energy to do more than a couple runs before I go play something else for XP instead. Sorry you feel the way you do about the reduction though. =(
Reply Quote

If you honestly think that they should sit down and balance the experience potential of every map in every act to be equivalent to pre-nerf scorpions just so people like yourself can grind the same map repeatedly for XP just because it's the most efficient way to do so, you're mistaken.

This is precisely the reason they have nerfed the XP from those mobs. They WANT people to spread out to different acts and different maps. They WANT people to play the entire game that they have created, instead of farming a single area because it's the most efficient... And, sure someone will eventually figure out which map in which act is the most efficient yet again, but maybe this time people will be less likely to all flock to it since there are many other options available which are (hopefully) similar enough in XP/item values to let people have some flexibility in what they farm.

TL:DR - Scorpion XP nerf is effectively a BUFF for act 3, contrary to what you say. It INCREASES the value of kills of every other mob in every other area. Sure, farming scorpions wont be a thing anymore, but instead we'll hopefully have 5 or 6 new farming areas to make up for it - and with all the buffs to group play I would hope you'd start farming with friends to increase your XP gain in that respect too.
Reply Quote

Because the reward was broken. Trash mobs should reward lesser reward. It's not uncommon to have 50-100 of them lined with for the meat-grinder. They used to give 10k+ XP each... You could get 500k-1 mil XP, if not more, in a matter of seconds. That's imbalanced.
Reply Quote
Make endless dungeons, having to reload games over and over and over is st ta ta ta ta toopid.
Reply Quote

If you honestly think that they should sit down and balance the experience potential of every map in every act to be equivalent to pre-nerf scorpions just so people like yourself can grind the same map repeatedly for XP just because it's the most efficient way to do so, you're mistaken.

This is precisely the reason they have nerfed the XP from those mobs. They WANT people to spread out to different acts and different maps. They WANT people to play the entire game that they have created, instead of farming a single area because it's the most efficient... And, sure someone will eventually figure out which map in which act is the most efficient yet again, but maybe this time people will be less likely to all flock to it since there are many other options available which are (hopefully) similar enough in XP/item values to let people have some flexibility in what they farm.

TL:DR - Scorpion XP nerf is effectively a BUFF for act 3, contrary to what you say. It INCREASES the value of kills of every other mob in every other area. Sure, farming scorpions wont be a thing anymore, but instead we'll hopefully have 5 or 6 new farming areas to make up for it - and with all the buffs to group play I would hope you'd start farming with friends to increase your XP gain in that respect too.

I never farmed specifically scorpions in the first place!

They just helped a lot leveling up along the way.

But it just occurred to me that NV stacks multiplicative now, and that my argument is silly and pointless.

Thanks for the replies all!
Reply Quote
Cant please everyone hmmm.
Reply Quote

I think your having a Knee Jerk reaction. Let's have this conversation after 2-3 weeks 1.0.8 goes live.
Reply Quote
I think most people missed this part..

Monsters

General

Players should now encounter more monsters in Acts I, II, and IV in Inferno difficulty when playing at Monster Power 1 or greater

In multiplayer games, the increase in monster hit points per additional player has been reduced to 50% (down from 70%)

Tormented Stingers and Stygian Crawlers have had their experience reduced by 75%

This is a huge act 3 exp nerf...

Act 3 is my favorite of all the acts and this disappoints me.

Is there any reason behind this? Obviously Blizzard's objective is to drive players into playing the other acts, except that REMOVING from another is far less acceptable than ADDING to another.

Honestly I don't get it, they go from way to much to way to little... unless there is more going on.. but I can't see it so far. But yeah this has been talked about.
Edited by AxeLord#1992 on 4/9/2013 6:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]