Diablo® III

PTR is an Act 3 nerf

Damn us if we listen to player feedback.
Curse us if we don't.

I LOL!
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Drothvader
Or even a full game clear as I really like to do. I like starting on Act I and continuing through Act IV

Hopefully this becomes a viable option again.

I was really hoping for a MP0 version with higher density but at least now MP 1 isn't 50% longer to kill for only 25% more XP. It's still a loss at 43.75% but close enough that I'll do full runs now and then between full act 3 mp 0 runs.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 06:56 PMPosted by LegitBeastin
Hey Lylirra, I hopped on to PTR and enjoyed the changes very much! However Act 4 still has a pitiful amount of Elites, will something ever be done about no one ever going to Act4? At least people have been going to Act1 for Ubers and Act2 for VoTA runs but Act4 is still the black sheep of farming.

Your aware you can get your NV Stack in Act 3 and move on to Act 4 with your stack right?
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
04/09/2013 07:06 PMPosted by CarlSagan
Why not normalize all acts to the scorpion run? As long as paragon levels only grant linear rewards, should it matter if it can be done quicker and quicker?

I believe Lylirra already answered this.

Scorpions have had their XP reduced. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We looked and considered buffing everything else instead, but in light of the multiplayer buffs we were already providing, we didn't want to inflate the game as a whole even further.

Specifically, Scorpions have had their XP reduced by 75%. That probably sounds like a lot at an emotional level, because it's never fun to have a source of XP reduced by that much, but I hope some can agree if you think about it - a mallet lord is worth 1.5x the xp a scorpion is. And that's not just mallet lords, most of the monsters in the game are within a certain reasonable ratio of one another and the scorpions were a very obvious outlier.
Reply Quote
View profile
04/09/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Drothvader
The answer isn't to create more optimal routes, the answer is to normalize the entire act.
Impossible, or should I say improbable. Unless Blizz tests XP per hour on every single route in game there will always be a optimal route.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Drothvader
Why not normalize all acts to the scorpion run? As long as paragon levels only grant linear rewards, should it matter if it can be done quicker and quicker?

I believe Lylirra already answered this.

Scorpions have had their XP reduced. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We looked and considered buffing everything else instead, but in light of the multiplayer buffs we were already providing, we didn't want to inflate the game as a whole even further.

Specifically, Scorpions have had their XP reduced by 75%. That probably sounds like a lot at an emotional level, because it's never fun to have a source of XP reduced by that much, but I hope some can agree if you think about it - a mallet lord is worth 1.5x the xp a scorpion is. And that's not just mallet lords, most of the monsters in the game are within a certain reasonable ratio of one another and the scorpions were a very obvious outlier.

So a flat nerf to that area to solo players? Or they could have done a mix of both, buffed other areas and minor buffs to multiplayer. Hell they could have made scorpions have the worst possible loot chance drops, absolutely terrible but give nice experience in return. Instead they just crunch numbers. Creativity gets pulled away for ease-to-fix.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 07:10 PMPosted by LegitBeastin
Unless Blizz tests XP per hour on every single route in game there will always be a optimal route.

I would imagine they do exactly this when adjusting mob density and monster experience levels. It's simple enough to simulate and I'm sure they have the tools in place to do this.
Reply Quote
The answer isn't to create more optimal routes, the answer is to normalize the entire act.
Impossible, or should I say improbable. Unless Blizz tests XP per hour on every single route in game there will always be a optimal route.

I really wonder if Gamers that need optimial routes and the best Efficiency to play a game, even understand the concept of fun? I guess there idea of fun is much more different than mine.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 06:52 PMPosted by Lylirra
Thanks for your feedback! Have you gotten the opportunity to test those changes on the PTR?

Yes, I have of course before posting here, spent a few hours there yesterday, nobody saw any huge improvements in Act2, Act3 is ruined completely and I doubt people will like Act4 just because you put more mobs that they don't like in there.

Act1 looks better but since it's Act1 you get way less XP there than in Act3 anyway.
All other things being equal people tend to play the highest Act for more XP.

What amazes me is that when you are asked to make other Acts better to be competitive with Act3, you instead trash Act3 so other Acts look better.

I understand it's an easy slap up solution to show off but it's not what you've been asked to do.

And for those of you who "got tired of Act3" - go play other Acts, what's holding you, if they are better?

"We got tired of Act3, let's trash it so no one plays it" is a totally different philosophy, I'm not tired of Act3 and I want to keep playing it, why do you want to ruin my fun?
Edited by alikim#1300 on 4/9/2013 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile

Of course something will always be optimal, but as long as it's not a marginal gap between the optimal route and the norm, the developers have succeeded in their goal.

Optimal is fine, so long as it doesn't overshadow everything else.
Reply Quote
Act1 looks better but since it's Act1 you get way less XP there than in Act3 anyway.
All other things being equal people tend to play the highest Act for more XP.

I was under the impression that at MP1 and above, all monsters were level 63 and granted the same experience. Also, some monsters may have +/- experience depending on their difficulty.
Edited by MattK#1976 on 4/9/2013 7:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 01:33 PMPosted by Feralheart
What I am trying to convey is "Why not buff everything else to make it more appealing?"

Scorpions were high density, low hp mobs that gave the same xp as other mobs. There was no reason for that. The counter buff would be to increase the xp from every other mob in the game, and given the fact that they've buffed xp gain immensely since release, this is pretty reasonable.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 07:41 PMPosted by PVStar
Scorpions were high density, low hp mobs that gave the same xp as other mobs. There was no reason for that.

Then buff their HP so that it's like taking on a crowd of Mallet Lords.

Make them scary enough so you think twice about jumping right in.
Edited by Ricsta#6874 on 4/9/2013 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
04/09/2013 06:54 PMPosted by Drothvader
I really should just play on a different account and delete everything on this one because clearly the only thing that really matters in any discussion is what Paragon level I am. =/

Now, now...don't fall into the trap they've laid out for you. Paragon levels are merely a grind with a reward for being able to not fall asleep at the keyboard too often. As far as I'm concerned, there's no skill involved whatsoever in the grind, just...well, grinding.

For me, the greater concern is that MP0 does not get the density buff and only higher MP levels do. I thought we were trying to avoid forced MP levels here.
Reply Quote
Yes, Act 3 will technically be nerfed, and the other acts will be buffed. In the end they should all be roughly equal, or at least a lot more equal than they have been. But seriously, to say act 3 is ruined or destroyed or pointless to play now is just ridiculous. If the balancing happens properly, people who love act 3 can still play act 3 without feeling like they're missing out on a more efficient run. Likewise, people who want to play act 1,2 or 4 should be able to do so without feeling like they're missing out on act 3.
Reply Quote
False, It is not an act3 nerf, its an act1/2/4 buff. This is a step in the right direction, instead of nerfing something, buff the others. that is the correct approach.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Thunder
You guys up at blizzard would have never noticed hadnt it been for moldran. Customer satisfaction 3/10... You guys come up with only ideas of others, aka Paragon levels: Kripparian... good going blizz.
Okay I read this post on Diablofans and had to come here to comment. Even mentioning a streamer discredits everything you say.

There's many people contributing new ideas that deserves the spotlight and out of all the people you mention Kripparian, a scumbag streamer who turned his back on the game, badmouths it every chance he gets (he recently did it with Alkaizer). He's a supposed "hardcore" gamer yet he sucks in every game he plays. The only thing he can do is math, big deal.

Moldran, I like him, I like his videos. But he doesn't necessarily report anything new and doesn't create anything new either. He's a follower, not a trendsetter. Like Kripparian, he's good at math but math doesn't necessarily make anyone a good player (although I think he's a decent enough player compared to Kripparian)

Most people in the community don't care about streamers and most of those streamers haven't done anything to assist the community or Blizzard to make the game better to play. They are too busy pimping out whatever game is making them ad revenue. Or in the case of Raoha and Druin, stealing from people and popularizing it.

The real heroes are those that are not widely known making good topics and throwing up good ideas yet sadly never get paid attention to (which I hope the CM's at least give attention to)
Edited by Wukong#1593 on 4/9/2013 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Some people will always see the glass half empty. Can't really fix that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]