Diablo® III

PTR is an Act 3 nerf

Blizzard never knew the ex values of the scorpions. It's not like they created those values right? Yeahhh! A mallet lord shouldn't have the same xp as a scorpion/stinger. You should talk to the developers about that. Oh...
Reply Quote
To answer the OP's original question...

There were a fair amount of people who would just farm scorpions instead of elites for exp because the scorpion's exp was so good. I know for barbarians it became pointless to even get 5 stacks of NV because you could just farm scorpions and just reset act 3. I'm glad you liked act 3 so much, but for people who farmed it a LOT, this is a very awesome and a welcomed change. I understand your point of "why nerf scorpion exp when you could just buff everything else," but I believe the main reason why they are going to nerf scorpion exp is because scorpions became more important than elites. Although not everyone (or maybe even a lot) of people farmed scorpions over elites, it probably is still ridiculous in Blizzard's eye that scorpions were more valuable for exp than elites.Just my opinion though.

As for Drothvader, just ignore those nubz who claim because you're paragon 20 that you have no right to add opinions. I've seen many of your posts and believe they add some interesting ideas to the game. It should also be noted that I thought you would be higher than paragon 20 haha, but that really doesn't matter. How many times you could repeat act 3 doesn't really matter to me. Ideas are what make someone's opinion matter.

GL everyone.
Reply Quote
Damn us if we listen to player feedback.
Curse us if we don't.

We make changes that we believe are good for the health of the game. Sometimes, those changes are going to be nerfs, sometimes they're going to be buffs. Sometimes they're going to be the result of internal testing, and sometimes they're going to be a product of player discussion. In this case, there's both a buff and a nerf, and they come from a combination of sources. We feel the game is in a better place because of them, though, and we hope that players will agree. (If not, PTR is the best time to tell us!)

Before you criticize too much, maybe hop on the PTR and see what you think?

This response made me chuckle. You respond well. Its funny to read the restraint between the lines sometimes.

Im no fanboy. I haven't played in several months - other than a single 10 minute flirt to remind myself I have no interest in 6 hours of "rare" vendor trash collection.

But the thing is, you know the AH/Itemization conundrum is a beast of disappointment. You get it (its not like we havent mentioned it once or twice). And you have to walk a fine line of communication, concession and restraint. Im always impressed with the tact... even if I am one of those disappointed gamers.

So cheers to you for human quality in a difficult situation.

PS - good luck. I hope this game falls in to place.
Reply Quote
This is a good thing. why should the easiest kills be equal to the hardest? TBH this really balances the xp part of the game and i welcome it. i mean shoot the recent mp buffd for xp really hurt the para lvling in IMO
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 06:16 PMPosted by Lylirra
Nephalem Valor stacks are now multiplicative, not additive

Does this apply to Magic Find from Nephalem Valor as well???
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 4/9/2013 8:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
people complaining about the crawler nerf should be pretty indicative that paragon leveling takes too long

but then the NV being multiplicative instead of additive pretty much addresses that so i don't think people should be whining unless they're just the biggest fans wearing a scorpion t-shirt.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Lylirra
You guys up at blizzard would have never noticed hadnt it been for moldran. Customer satisfaction 3/10... You guys come up with only ideas of others, aka Paragon levels: Kripparian... good going blizz.

Curse us if we don't.

/cut some stuff out here/

I've been playing Diablo 3 since launch and have nothing but praise for the Diablo team. The game really wasn't up to expectations when released, but it keeps getting better and better with every patch made.

I had an absolute blast last night with a couple of my regular farming buddies streaming some 1.08 PTR in HC. We tested out the new "craft all", "identify all", group archon wizards, mob densities in different acts and all sorts of things. It was a really good time. I finshed by taking my Witch Doctor into MP10 and trying to defeat Belial...something I'd never try to do in the real hardcore mode :D Didn't come close.

Keep up the great work!
Reply Quote
So now you punish the solo players because you're upping the group xp gain....

I have a very serious question for you guys.

Do you guys even think about what you implement to this game? Or do you just throw darts at a freakin dart board?

This is actually how I feel about the multiplayer additions as well. Im feeling punished for liking solo play. I've ALWAYS preferred solo play in games. Unfortunately though, you get punished for it. It was that way in WoW and now it's going to be that way in d3. Oh well, at least I still get to pause in solo play.
Reply Quote
ANNNDDDD Obama is a !@#$ty POTUS
Reply Quote
For those people complaining, please log on to PTR and give it a try. Everything is good, really good.
Reply Quote
OP Here

Let me re-iterate some points that were missed altogether by essentially everyone.

First, let me say that part of my original argument did lack some credibility as far as level 60 and beyond because I did not realize that NV was buffed so much!

The part that was missed entirely was the repercussions to the natural leveling process (1 - 60) on softcore and hardcore.

So let's get this straight:

A) Having multiple choices is a good thing.
B) Removing silly exploits from the game is a good thing. (Farming SPECIFICALLY demon lobsters)
C) Interrupting the natural level process is a bad thing.

So part of my current curiosity is how the natural leveling process will work in 1.08?

Obviously, it's not a huge amount of experience, so I'm interested in how it will affect 1-60. (Hopefully not more grinding between those levels!)

IF there is repercussions to this, then players may find themselves repeating act 3 a couple of times in anticipation of act 4 (which is still easily the most difficult and least rewarding of all of the acts).

As far as "efficiency" and "leveling" or "optimization" and whatever is concerned, there is no reason to be upset because the changes to NV and Multi-Player conditions will make Paragon leveling unbelievably easy.

EDIT: The goal of this thread was not to bash players and Blizzard employees by the way. (Thank you for the reply and the link!)

The patch 1.08 is a much-needed, and wonderful improvement to Diablo 3 and Blizzard is headed in the right direction as far as game design is concerned.
Edited by Feralheart#1686 on 4/9/2013 9:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Curse us if we don't.

We make changes that we believe are good for the health of the game. Sometimes, those changes are going to be nerfs, sometimes they're going to be buffs. Sometimes they're going to be the result of internal testing, and sometimes they're going to be a product of player discussion. In this case, there's both a buff and a nerf, and they come from a combination of sources. We feel the game is in a better place because of them, though, and we hope that players will agree. (If not, PTR is the best time to tell us!)

I think that part of Moldran's point was intended to also say that difficult and long boss fights like the skeleton king gave way too little experience (2 minutes for 70k experience or something like that). Is this going to also be addressed with an experience buff for bosses?
Reply Quote
I wonder, is Act 3 Barrack and other filler dungeon have same density as other acts too?
Reply Quote
That's a good question kilometer.

I understand the nerf to scorpions. I leveled up all but one of my characters to 60 by getting the act 3 waypoint from a friend and just farming scorpions until I could move on to the next difficulty of scorpions. However 75% reduction seems a bit harsh. It goes from best xp to not being worth doing at all?
Edited by DeadDragon#1455 on 4/9/2013 9:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for your feedback Lylirra, just one clarification I would like.

Is the new multiplicative behaviour of NV stacks going to be the same for GF and MF? Or just XP?
Reply Quote
My comment on this topic is not specifically addressed to Diablo III, but to game design in general. I am developing a tabletop adventure game. I've worked on it for years (over a decade). It's coming along, and it's headed in a direction I love. Now...from that specific viewpoint, let's say I discovered the following:

-Low-level monster
-Easily killed
-Swarm-based tactics
-Individual experience value disproportionately high, compared to overall difficulty

What should I do? Obviously, large numbers of one-shot critters can not give the same (individual) experience as a larger, tougher opponent. That's just not the way things are done. You give experience based on how hard it is to fight a monster, not some arbitrary amount. At least, that's how I do it.

If I saw that in my game, you'd better believe it would be the first thing to go. I don't like it any more than anyone else does (I level in Act III myself), but it's just bad game design to give out large rewards for little risk.

At the same time, however, I would urge all of you reading this to re-read the last sentence of the above paragraph. This goes both ways. If I spend (as another poster pointed out) 5-10 minutes on a boss, treading the thin, fine line between life and death at every turn, then I deserve to get something out of it. 70, 000 experience is a laughable amount for such a thing.

Bosses and quests in general have not given enough of a reward to be taken seriously since launch. If we're that concerned about Squishies giving too much experience, then why are we not taking a closer look at the hard fights? It's just a suggestion.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Yes, I have of course before posting here, spent a few hours there yesterday, nobody saw any huge improvements in Act2, Act3 is ruined completely and I doubt people will like Act4 just because you put more mobs that they don't like in there.

Act1 looks better but since it's Act1 you get way less XP there than in Act3 anyway.
All other things being equal people tend to play the highest Act for more XP.

What amazes me is that when you are asked to make other Acts better to be competitive with Act3, you instead trash Act3 so other Acts look better.

Thanks for following up. :)

Why do you think Act III has "been ruined"? Is it simply because of the XP reduction for scorpions, or is it something else entirely?

04/09/2013 06:56 PMPosted by LegitBeastin
Hey Lylirra, I hopped on to PTR and enjoyed the changes very much! However Act 4 still has a pitiful amount of Elites, will something ever be done about no one ever going to Act4? At least people have been going to Act1 for Ubers and Act2 for VoTA runs but Act4 is still the black sheep of farming.

We're paying super close attention to player feedback regarding density and definitely aren't opposed to making further adjustments during PTR. If you want, there's a great thread that breaks down density feedback by Act/zone over in the PTR forum: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569308335

Please feel free to chime in!
Reply Quote
you say don't do alkaiser runs, don't use optimal routes, don't farm a single area over and over but that's the problem. doing these runs or full act clears has got to the point that no matter what you choose everything is repetitive and is becoming a real drag. what I and im sure many other people would like to see is some new areas to explore and farm. Take whymsishire for example, why not add another one everynow and then with having to collect and combine things to gain access as we did for whymsi or mabie its time to add act 5 and 6 etc..... we slayed diablo and brought peace back to tristram...... didn't we......lets see what other sinister and dark force's are lurking behind the curtain.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]