Diablo® III

Life Steal returning zero percent

Have over 7 percent on life steal, noticed I was using an excessive amount of healing potions, found that hitting any creature gave ZERO life back. Anyone else seeing this tonight?
Reply Quote
View profile
never seen that. what skills are you using?
Reply Quote
Bash-pulverize, Cleave-broad sweep, Leap-call of arreat, Seismic Slam-strength from earth, Ground Stomp-trembling stomp, Earthquake-the mountain's call.

Weapon has 4.8% damage dealt is converted to life.
Belt has 3% damage dealt is converted to life.

Found this issue occurring while working my way up the spire in inferno (0mp).

Any blue or yellow special monsters seem to cause a "no life increase" when hit.

Just wondered if this is an issue for anyone else?
Reply Quote
fairly common problem for me. i'm running 0dog build and most of the time it works great. but sometimes life steal will just stop healing...
Reply Quote
Have over 7 percent on life steal, noticed I was using an excessive amount of healing potions, found that hitting any creature gave ZERO life back. Anyone else seeing this tonight?

Lifesteal scales with your DPS. Your current DPS is so low that even 3 full slots of LS would barely give you a decent return.

Use Life on Hit until you hit around 100K dps...then slowly start the transition to Lifesteal.
Edited by Pri#1584 on 4/19/2013 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
In inferno the actual life steal percentage has been reduced to 20% of your total. Your 7.8% is really only 1.5. Based on 45k dps, 1.5% is really nothing at all. Do what Pri said and switch to LOH.
Reply Quote
@Pri @KillerElite

I actually had experienced life steal problems, more than once. It's pretty hard to notice, especially with cookie cutter. But when I notice, it seems a problem that life steal just did not "register" / "trigger" at all, I have ran into multiple instance in kulle fights that my rend / bloolust does not give any healing at all even that "blood" icon is on seige, mean rend is applied, but when he picked me up, I don't get any healing at all.
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 01:23 PMPosted by samuiotoko
I actually had experienced life steal problems, more than once. It's pretty hard to notice, especially with cookie cutter. But when I notice, it seems a problem that life steal just did not "register" / "trigger" at all, I have ran into multiple instance in kulle fights that my rend / bloolust does not give any healing at all even that "blood" icon is on seige, mean rend is applied, but when he picked me up, I don't get any healing at all.

Hmm...should test this and report in the bug forums. I personally have never experienced this with throw, hota, or ww (my primary specs)...but I don't use rend so unsure if it is a bug tied to specific skills. OP isn't using rend but a plethora of other skills and noticing the issue as well.

You could be right though...I always assumed that lack of skill procs or the "feeling" like something wasn't working was due to ridiculous latency issues on these $2 servers that Blizz has allocated for us.
Reply Quote
View profile
I have never experienced it either. It could certainly be a bug. I was just looking at total damage vs LS. If you take a look at the damage range of all of his skills, max high end crits are hitting for less than 100k with average no crit damage around 55k or so depending on the skill you look at. With total of 24%, I am willing to bet most of his hits are no crits.

Since he is only going to notice life returned when in combat and if you assume average hits of around 55k, I am guessing the damage from monsters is probably greater than the 800 life he will get per swing of his weapon. I still think it is a DPS/LS issue and not a bug. Even stacking life regen will return more life/ second than his dps with LS.
Reply Quote
I used to have this kind of problems with spiky life steal, sometimes seeming to not work at all, might be a latency issue, on your side or server. Haven't had that in a long time though.
Reply Quote
Happened to me once where my life wasn't healing from my sprint nados.
Reply Quote
That issue seemed to be worse when ptr was online too. It all ended when I installed Diablo on a SSD.
Reply Quote
I have never experienced it either. It could certainly be a bug. I was just looking at total damage vs LS. If you take a look at the damage range of all of his skills, max high end crits are hitting for less than 100k with average no crit damage around 55k or so depending on the skill you look at. With total of 24%, I am willing to bet most of his hits are no crits.

Since he is only going to notice life returned when in combat and if you assume average hits of around 55k, I am guessing the damage from monsters is probably greater than the 800 life he will get per swing of his weapon. I still think it is a DPS/LS issue and not a bug. Even stacking life regen will return more life/ second than his dps with LS.

yes, I agree with your analysis on the OP's dps vs. LS ratio, he might just have too little life returned from LS due to low DPS, I was just pointing out there is a possibility there is also a bug, as some of you also point out the latency issue, I am not sure whether that was the cause, the thing that was weird is the rend icon shows up, and everything was smooth, except the life steal is not giving anything back, and it's rend / bloodlust so really is 9% + 6% LS in my case, that's 15%, should be very steady life steal, and the thing is I won't see any green tick number greater than my life regen would have already gave throughout the whole duration of seige picked me up. I should start recording all my uber runs from now on and try to catch this in a video.
Reply Quote
I've had my barb trucking along just fine and then suddenly he stops healing....wait for it.........rubberband.

So now when it happens (not very often) I just try to maneuver him away from the action and drop a pot.
Reply Quote
It's just because you don't have any crit damage. You need to be dishing out enough damage for lifesteal to start working.
Reply Quote
there are also enemies that debuff you with -75% healing in that area. keywarden and usually terror demons do this. not sure if you just didnt notice getting that debuff or not.
Reply Quote
not sure if this has been mentioned, but try unequipping and re-equipping all of your gear, i've seen this bug a few times since launch where gear stops registering for some reason or another, it seems to be fixed by a simple re-equip
Reply Quote
I can now see that some new equipment is necessary to get the critical damage up as per KillerElite. I found that in act iv, the life steal works rather well on the first and second tier but works poorly once you are climbing the spire. I will also look for more life on hit equipment per Pri. Thanks to you all, good advice on this forum is sometimes hard to find.
Reply Quote
View profile
Usually it's lag I noticed. When my Ping is bad.. I struggle with my 3% native ls with reflect mobs. During good days..it's very bearable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]