Diablo® III

Diablo III on a new SLI system

I just built a new system today to play Diablo III on. To my surprise, there are densely populated areas in Act III where my FPS still dips down to 5fps. That's real slow even for a fast SLI machine. I don't know what gives. All my graphic settings set to max and with Shadows set to High Smooth (Frame rate display on the bottom right): http://i.imgur.com/dztNjde.jpg?1

I was expecting an SLI setup would be highly capable of handling this game and since DIII is SLI optimized (?): http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games?keys=diablo&sort_bef_combine=+

Any other SLI gamers here experiencing this framerate dip?

My hardware specs:
- Intel Core i7-3770 @ 4GHz (OC)
- 16Gb DDR3-2400 @ 2000MHz (OC)
- 2 x (EVGA) GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost Superclocked SLI
- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Mobo (Bios P2.8)
- Windows 8 Pro x64 on SSD
- Diablo III on 1TB Western Digital Black hard drive (7200rpm SATA6)
Reply Quote
Definitely a capable system, but due to the way this game was built, even the fastest systems get slowdowns at first. I find that the first run in any act, especially 3, will almost always have slowdowns because you are streaming a lot of data from the server, but every run after that will run way better since it was stored in memory. Other than getting a better internet connection, there isn't much else you can do.
Reply Quote
Yep, there's really not much I can do on the hardware side. I do have, I think, a very fast internet service at almost 50mb/s down. Ping is also pretty good.

Oh well.
Reply Quote
you should be able handle it. are you sure your running off the gpu's and not the cpu? some systems automatically detect it and switch over but some have to be manually shut off
Reply Quote
Yes, the SLI is working just fine. I monitor the load of the GPUs via EVGA Precision X (http://www.evga.com/precision).
Reply Quote
I have a very similar setup, minus the GPUs, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the 650 TI Boost in SLI. I really only play Diablo 3, and the occasional StarCraft II, so nothing that is crazy demanding for video cards. You mentioned the drastic dips in fps, but what are you getting on average with your setup?
Reply Quote
Not your setup mate, the game clearly has issues in a couple of sore spots - like that spot you pointed out. I had put it down to res, I play at 1600p, I know people who play at 1080p with below average PCs that dont experience it (or at least to the degree I do) in the areas I do. Thankfully its rare and only in a couple of spots when things get crazy on multiplayer.

Smooth as butter otherwise (as well it should be!)

My PC specs: BEA$T (Running Win7)
Reply Quote
how's ur cpu/gpu load, oso i assume there is no temp issues

then perhaps u can try changing ur sli compatibility bits to 0x02500005 with nvidia inspector
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I have been experiencing microstuttering and screen tearing all the time. I am running GTX 670 4GB SLI with i7 2600k. I think its a vsync issue because with vsync on in game it says 60FPS but stutters like hell or with vsync off I get like 200FPS but really bad tearing, possibly tearing + stuttering. I have been all over the web trying to find a solution and I found something that actually works for me. Under nvidia inspector I forced triple buffering ON and I have vsync ON in D3 as well and its about 98% better. Still 60 FPS all day, no input lag, no tearing, only the occasional hiccup when fighting like 100 monsters but I would say thats probably normal. Also, I run the game at 3840x2160p (4K) with Transparency AA set to Supersampling all under 60% load on both GPUs. Now I'm happy lol. So yeah hopefully forcing triple buffering will help some people, maybe even adjusting max prerendered frames setting in Nvidia Inspector will help as well. Good luck : )
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]