Diablo® III

Serenity and other immunity spells.

The main point I am going to make here is; Complete immunity skills are available to all characters, though are incredibly unbalanced. Serenity costs little, but the cooldown is massive, and only lasts for 4 seconds. Though, as some of you and maybe even myself would say "you shouldn't have to have complete immunity skills in the first place." Be that as it may, but here is why the balance concerns me. 1. These skills DO exist, across the board for all characters.
2. In comparison, monks are already not as powerful as Barbarians, period, and are expected to go hand to hand just like barbarians do. (Compare top player Monk to the top player Barb, you will see a huge difference in damage and most likely armor)
3. Wizards can diamond skin FOR EXTREMELY LONG PERIODS OF TIME, and have other things assisting them with their cool down timers, thus letting them achieve pure immunity FOR EVEN LONGER PERIODS OF TIME.
4. DH can kite regardless, as well as wizards. The point is, Monks can not efficiantly play using those methods, and as I said, are expected to be up close and personal to the enemy for the duration of any battle.

So lets look at the big picture here, Monks pretty much got the short hand, for their intended purpose as melee characters. Serenity, apposed to other ALL immune spells, is quite possibly the least effective of all the other classes. To add insult to injury, Monks already have the hardest time surviving the exploits of hell, so why is it that every other character, given a certain raw talent for the game, can achieve almost pure immunity, while no matter what a monks efforts they can not achieve the same sensationalistic beauty in which is being immune to all things? My build I believe is as close as I would ever get to being "defensive" and "impenetrable" while death only comes my way when I have to wait for ridiculous cooldowns. This build is a mix of blinding, healing with dmg buff, and serenity. Those are the skills I have at my disposal, all in which after every use have sizeable cooldowns, which then provides the only time I ever die, and that tends to happen a fair amount.

I just don't find it fair, that every other character has steam rolling builds that are utterly perfect, but yet the monk has no such thing. I know, because I use the most defensive build one could possibly use for a monk aside from my choice of Mantra of Conviction.

Personally, I don't think any character should have some sort of "Pure Immunity" to damage, that is just rediculous, it defeats the purposes of pretty much every other defensive function or skill one could possibly have... You thought spamming potions to live was a bad design choice? What about spamming Diamond Skin? What about having some crazy buffed up super sayen yelling and cleaving through elite affixes taking no damage, while all you can muster as a Monk is a 4 second window you have to do pure damage, while everyone else can just stand there, and nuke the crap out of everything?

Meh, I don't really know where to go with this. I feel as though my skill could be questionable, and perhaps my problems were self caused. But I will say this atleast with certainty, no amount of dodging, stunning, and knockbacks, could ever make up for the OP bull!@#$ of being 100% immune to all things so long as things exist. I rest my case.
Reply Quote

3. Wizards can diamond skin FOR EXTREMELY LONG PERIODS OF TIME, and have other things assisting them with their cool down timers, thus letting them achieve pure immunity FOR EVEN LONGER PERIODS OF TIME.

Or 1-2 hits. Unless you use the only high MP build (SNS), Diamond Skin by itself is complete garbage almost. Monks on the other hand can use serenity independently. They could just not even attack and their immunity could handle ANY form of damage AND crowd control for a full 4 seconds. Diamond skin does not grant cc immunity. To truly take advantage of Diamond Skin, we have to dedicate a passive and 2-3 other skills in order for it to "protect us".

4. DH can kite regardless, as well as wizards.

Are you serious? DH is probably one of the most under powered class right now next to WD. Their ability to kite means nothing if at the end of that 30-60 second chase you get hit once and die.

The fundamentals (imo) of a defensive/immunity ability lies closely tied in with your ability of offense. The game isn't designed around having abilities that allow you to barely take any damage while you barely do any damage. There's a purpose in mind when it comes to restricting certain elements from these defensive skills. I always saw defense split into two main fundamentals: Immunity/defensive skills and Life Sustain.

1. For the case of the Monk, Serenity's massive 4 second God-Mode (while it might not seem a lot to you) is more than enough when coupled with offensive abilities that boost DPS or resource spenders. The one thing differentiating the Monk class from the rest is their ability to "Slap and Run". Either by Serenity + Blinding Flash or by Serenity alone, that combined with whatever offensive combo you picked. A Monk's eDPS is quite impressive actually. You could argue that it might need some Life Steal skills but otherwise you need to optimize your offensive in order to not have any enemies standing after your defensive abilities are on cooldown.

2. Which takes me to the second point, Life Steal. Because Monks have good eDPS, they also have good life steal (if you have gear with it). Again, same fundamental, your defensive/immunity ability (to life steal; sustain yourself) lies closely tied in with your ability of offense (DPS). The more damage you do, the more you will survive.

Demon hunters on the other hand, only have 1 of the 2 points illustrated above. Shadow Power (Gloom) does a very mediocre job at absorbing damage (unlike Serenity) but it does provide something illustrated in my second point, life steal (15%). On high MP, demon hunters are actually forced to stand in melee range of monsters because their eDPS is not good enough to kite. In the end they're no different than you are ... oh wait. yes they are. They are far worse since they lack fundamental 1 (A true immunity skill) and more importantly, the same eDPS (You could substitute an immunity skill with sheer high amount of Life Steal).

Edit: Right, there's also Smoke Screen (as the wanna-be immunity skill). Which is completely irrelevant. 1.5 seconds and uses half of your resource pool? lol.

Oh right, they also don't have the 30% damage reduction melee classes have.
Edited by Bluthium#1822 on 4/10/2013 2:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
sns wizards do not have cc immunity. you can teleport out before frozen hits, but you are stuck with it if it explodes on you.

you can be immune to jailer cos teleport breaks it.

nightmarish/knockback/slow/curse of mud etc = cm wizards have to absorb it completely.

diamond skin is just there for ehp/tankiness.

teleport is the only escape spell

mirror image should confer serenity like immunity but it doesn't. which reflects its absolute next to uselessness in pvp
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 4/10/2013 2:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
blinding flash helps..
Reply Quote
They are all balanced in their own way.

Wizards Diamond skin has a limit to how much damage you take. If your defends us crap, probably one shot will destroy it.

Barbs Ignore pain isn't complete invincibility, it's huge damage reduction.

No one ever mentions Witch doctor do Ill just say, Spirit walk is like Smoke screen.

Which brings me to the one you forgot...

Demon hunters Smoke screen is the worst. Nerfed to 1 second. Probably because theirs no cool down and it uses Disc.

Either way, they all have their downfalls.

I think your rant is unwarranted.
Reply Quote
monks: you're doing it wrong
Reply Quote
Lifesteal or Life on hit for sustained health. dont rely too much on immunity spells.
Reply Quote
Monks also have sss, which is another 3s total immunity every 23s, 7s out of 23=immunity from dmg and cc, no other class has anything that comes close and if you time correctly is easily enough to avoid any cc effects.

And if that's not enough, use pacifism, 75% dmg reduc on cc=immunity.
Edited by Hochroter#1710 on 4/10/2013 2:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Re-edited my first post.
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 02:25 AMPosted by Snoofo
I think your rant is unwarranted.
I so happen to may or may not agree with you on that.
Reply Quote
If only monks had a crazy mobility skill that could dodge everything at the speed of light!

Honestly man, go play some other classes :/. I tried my friend's Wizard and another friend's Demon Hunter and I was so glad I chose a monk. We definitely do NOT have the shortend of the stick.
Reply Quote
the 600 vit and no life on hit or life steal is a big problem. also u have 3k dex and only 72k dps? get more crit damage and ur dps will skyrocket
Reply Quote
Another thread talking about classes and once again the Witch Doctor is completely left out. Poor bastards.

And our CC breaker/immunity is 2 seconds (3 seconds with rune) with a 15 second cooldown AND can be eliminated early by the damage our physical body takes.
Reply Quote
Another thread talking about classes and once again the Witch Doctor is completely left out. Poor bastards.

And our CC breaker/immunity is 2 seconds (3 seconds with rune) with a 15 second cooldown AND can be eliminated early by the damage our physical body takes.
''

wd is fine too, it has other defensive spells monks dont have. it evens out
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 02:45 AMPosted by Wobble
the 600 vit and no life on hit or life steal is a big problem. also u have 3k dex and only 72k dps? get more crit damage and ur dps will skyrocket

I'm trying but it's not the cheapest thing to do. My original building "philosophy" had no intention of using crit damage, since I had no idea it existed for one, and i didn't know how big of an impact it really made on damage until, idk some time ago. I've slowly been working my way in that direction ever since. Edit: and I always have my healing buff up so that number might as well be 82k, since the buff increases my damage by around 10k.
Edited by zSnakez#1978 on 4/10/2013 2:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Wobble. Incorrect... He has 111 Life on Hit. lol
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 02:55 AMPosted by Wobble

Yeah, I have no problem with Spirit Walk. Just wanted to get WD into the conversation.
Reply Quote
Solution Snake. Life Steal on your weapon. Problem solved.

This is just one of the itemisation/design problems with this game. Life Steal is mandatory.
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 02:56 AMPosted by Detnyj

Yeah, I have no problem with Spirit Walk. Just wanted to get WD into the conversation.

I honestly feel so bad for witch doctors i did not mention them. If it makes you feel any better, some of the hardest "brawls" ive ever had were against witch doctors, they are very challenging opponents regardless of who you are. I know that pvp is not a big hitch to have in D3, but at least it is something.
Reply Quote
@Detnyj. I already pointed them out but pointing out they hadn't been pointed out. lol

Poor bastard Witch Doctors. My only real friend who plays, plays a WD. I keep telling him to roll another class but he plays too much WoW. No wonder he's not that interested in the game. WD just get ignored.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]