Diablo® III

A returning player's frustration with the AH

I stopped playing about a month or two after release, and then returned about a month ago. So I skipped several patches and came back with about 1 million gold and a monk that couldn't clear act 2 inferno before, but could farm MP1 act 3 after.

I have finished leveling one character of each class to level 60 and honestly have been having alot of fun. However, there are certain issues for me regarding the AH and gearing that frankly, made me quit playing before, and are slowly driving me away right now.

Basically, my point: How in the world am I supposed to be able to afford anything?
a) leveling a character, and buying gear lower than level 60. It's nearly all exponentially more expensive than crappy level 60 gear. Because no one lists it. The only people who buy it already have lots of gold, apparently.
b) The items that drop mostly will not sell on AH. In a month of farming inferno I've made only a couple of million off of items (if that). I list by searching for similar items and posting reasonable prices. I even leave the opening bid at vendor to encourage people to buy. I only save rares with prime stat, vit, resist all, + whatever. And I keep rings/amulets/off-hands with IAS, CC, or CD (among other well-rolled rares). Almost nobody is buying stuff that isn't "best in slot". So I can't get any drops to sell (let alone use myself), and I can't sell anything to buy any gear.... essentially I can't do anything except keep hoping for that one great drop that I can sell for a billion gold and finally fund my characters. Playing Diablo 3 is worse than playing the lottery. I feel I have a better chance of hitting the powerball jackpot.
c) One way of making money would be to flip poorly listed items. But if I'm not working in BiS items, this is very risky and my pool of funds is too small. So I can't work in BiS items because I don't have enough gold, and flipping non-BiS items is pointless because even well-rolled items sell only ~few times per week, and I don't have enough gold to invest in a long-term buy/re-sell process.
d) Searching for items on the AH is insanely frustrating. Searching for upgrades for one character in all slots can take over an hour. And there are alot of possible stats that aren't available to search for in a slot, even though legendaries can roll that stat. And there are still some stats that just plain aren't searchable. So I can't compare to the item have equipped (or want to sell). If I wanted to try to make money flipping items, I could imagine spending 5+ hours a day in order to actually do it well. And then I would promptly hate/quit the game.

Solutions:
1) One possible solution is to just wait until the new patch drops and lots of people come back to try out the new changes. Then there will be more people posting way-too-low prices and more people paying way too much for rares. This is an unreasonable solution because it alienates the people who are playing the game in the "downtime" of population in between patches. It fails to address any of the underlying problems that are leading me to post this in the first place.

2) Saved search criteria. Please, for the love of (something), let me save the search criteria I just spent 10 minutes refining in order to find gear that I both want and can afford. Without forcing me to pop open good-ole' Excel on another computer.

3) Essentially, it seems to me the current state of the economy is that:
a) people who made a ton of money early on see no problem with the economy because they have a ton of gold.
b) people who get lucky with a BiS legendary make a bajillion gold off of someone who already had a bajillion gold.
c) people who just came back to the game have no reasonable way to make money or gear up, as compared to the above people, except to just keep farming and hoping for the above-listed lucky legendary drop. Essentially you can play the game without picking up any rares and you're probably better off. This just seems silly.

4) experimental thoughts:
a) Certain items are sold the same way as gems and recipes. I want a wrist with 100 Dex, 75 Vit, and 50 AR. Those items start at ______ gold. Extra affixes add varying amounts to the cost. IAS may be a __% increase per point. CC or CD also a __% increase. Increasing those stats by x% increases the cost by y%. But the costs are set by an analysis of recent trading trends. This analysis is difficult, but can certainly be done. This would decrease the price of items listed in this way (presumably blues and yellows), which would naturally cause the prices of legendaries and set items to be more reasonable (by reasonable in this case I mean hundreds of millions of gold, as opposed to billions).

b) Items listed with a certain optional setting would automatically be vendored for 2-3 times the vendor price (or more, if more incentive is needed) at the end of their auction period. This encourages lower-level items to be listed while leveling and encourages listing of more intermediate level gear, while also providing a source of increased income rate for people stuck in the "in-between" phase I currently find myself in.

c) why is crafting still so much of a money sink? I'm not spending a percent of my entire current bank account to craft an item that could get 5 useless affixes. My mind is still blown how horribly inefficient crafting is; and this is compared to the inefficiency of the AH, which means that on an absolute scale of inefficiency, crafting just made my head explode.

I'm open to suggestions for what I'm doing wrong, of course, but I hope I've provided a clear indication of what is giving me that slow feeling of "getting ready to quit Diablo again".
Reply Quote
this cost so much because people are willing to pay so much.

Crafting isnt an effecient way of getting gear, Why would i spend upwards of 158k gold PER attempt at making a ilvl62 sword with 6 properties when i can easily farm monsters that are dropping swords with ilvl63 rolls?

In order to effectively afford things, you need to be lucky.

For me i found an item worth 150 million gold. I could have kept it for my wizard but decided to sell it, 50 million i kept, 100 million i sold, and with the 50 million+what i had already had i was able to outfit my DH with some better gear(and gems)as well as get the ball rolling on my barb/monk.
Reply Quote
I would ignore the AH and keeps farming for a 10-100mil drop. Sell it then flip a bit for some cash.

Then along the way I will keep crafting vit shoulders/stats gloves/stats amulet & stats bracers.
Reply Quote
04/15/2013 12:33 PMPosted by dreams81
did not read.

Great reply, thanks for the constructive conversation.
Reply Quote
this cost so much because people are willing to pay so much.

But for the most part, people AREN'T paying that much. I search for certain items once or twice a day and always sort by time remaining..... tons of BiS-level items aren't sold because the prices are insanely ludicrous. Hundreds of billions of gold.
Reply Quote
Here is a hint:
If you want to use the AH buy only things you can afford.
If you think that you are owed (or even need) all the things that are out of your price range you are wrong.

I buy what I can afford. And I sell what I can. But I can't sell anything and therefore I can't really afford anything. That's kind of the whole point of my post, to determine what can be done to stimulate the intermediate level economy to bridge that gap between the poor and the rich. Where is the Diablo 3 middle class?
Reply Quote
I have been selling because i sell for really cheap. Most of the stuff i sold are gone within a hour. Sold a 950dps/ias.25/dex/os ef for 5mil and 1091/ias.25/dex/os ef fir 7mil. Sold a int/dex/str/fire res/allres/ witching hour for 13mil. A good innas hat for 2mil. 39 All res innas pants for 4mil. Also sold a gg cindercoat for 2.5mil. Sold a vit/str ik helm for 7mil.

If you check the ah house more often, those deals are there.
Reply Quote
@davinci:
Just buy 3-5 radiant star emeralds on the rmah (you will be surprised how cheap they are), sell them on the gah, and you are back in business. That's about the price of a dessert after a dinner or so.
And yeah, when you level a new char you can sell half of the rares you find in normal at pretty decent price. You could probably wade at MP10 through normal with your lvl60 as well, but that's just too boring.
Reply Quote
04/15/2013 12:43 PMPosted by davinci
But I can't sell anything and therefore I can't really afford anything.

Trust me on MF, get over 300MF and farm, I guarantee you sellables will drop.

If you farm MP0 with 0MF, you will farm forever, get piss off and rage quit.
Reply Quote
all i read to was could not afford, well you now could get gear that would beat regualer inferno with 50k a piece.

the stuff that you cant afford are items that people use to farm mp6+ but they have been playing consistantly or bought it in rmah
Reply Quote
04/15/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Garthandal
That's kind of the whole point of my post, to determine what can be done to stimulate the intermediate level economy to bridge that gap between the poor and the rich. Where is the Diablo 3 middle class?

Mid tier is way cheap as it is, quit looking at bis items.

You're right, I shouldn't be frustrated by part of the game that is completely unreachable to me by no fault of my own. It's just that all of those people were lucky.

Let me be clear; there are several aspects to what I'm concerned with.
- Diablo is based on random luck and certainly I need to try harder to simply accept that.
But, also:
- The AH is a mess of un-synergized searching, missing search parameters, and hours upon hours of re-inputting the same criteria, and changing them by a little bit so as to not miss any deals. Can it be streamlined in any way? Or am I just not hardcore enough to participate in this poorly designed system?
Reply Quote
I have been selling because i sell for really cheap. Most of the stuff i sold are gone within a hour. Sold a 950dps/ias.25/dex/os ef for 5mil and 1091/ias.25/dex/os ef fir 7mil. Sold a int/dex/str/fire res/allres/ witching hour for 13mil. A good innas hat for 2mil. 39 All res innas pants for 4mil. Also sold a gg cindercoat for 2.5mil. Sold a vit/str ik helm for 7mil.

If you check the ah house more often, those deals are there.

Part of my problem is finding the time to search more, and also with the actual search process on the AH. So I mentioned that in my post as part of the issue for me.
Reply Quote
Change your way to suit the system or change the system to suit you?
Reply Quote
@davinci:
Just buy 3-5 radiant star emeralds on the rmah (you will be surprised how cheap they are), sell them on the gah, and you are back in business. That's about the price of a dessert after a dinner or so.
And yeah, when you level a new char you can sell half of the rares you find in normal at pretty decent price. You could probably wade at MP10 through normal with your lvl60 as well, but that's just too boring.

I am fundamentally against the RMAH and completely refuse to spend real money on game items. I don't do microtransactions in other game and I refuse to pay for DLC. Maybe I'm just too much of an old-timer but the connectivity of games has broken gaming in my eyes. The patching process means games are released that are complete crap (Maxis' SimCity is the most recent example) and the company then spends the next year fixing it to a reasonable level.

I refuse to spend money for in-game items. It's just my personal philosophy and I will not budge from that.
Reply Quote
04/15/2013 12:54 PMPosted by Fireblade
Change your way to suit the system or change the system to suit you?

It's not about changing the system, necessarily, it's about identifying inefficiencies in the system to make them more accessible to a larger group of the player base. I acknowledge that it's possible for me to play the AH in a way that will allow me to make alot of gold. I do it when I can. But, the inefficiency of the system means I just can't stand doing it. I'm just proposing some possible ways to clean that up.

I don't see what would be wrong with a system where rares and blues were given default prices based on recent trading activities. Or stimulating lower-level items by offering a bonus vendor price for listing them. These seem like reasonable solutions to what are real issues with using the AH for alot of people.
Reply Quote
There's a lot of good gear in the auction for low prices. To get that gear, you have to farm. If you don't want to farm, diablo isn't the game for you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]