Diablo® III

A returning player's frustration with the AH

[quote]
Part of my problem is finding the time to search more, and also with the actual search process on the AH. So I mentioned that in my post as part of the issue for me.

If you spent this time farming, instead of searching you might have found something decent by now.
Reply Quote
04/16/2013 08:30 AMPosted by Secoya
Playing Diablo 3 is worse than playing the lottery.

This is exactly how it is ATM.

Your nothing you've said addresses the true issue at hand here.

IT'S NOT THE AH THAT'S THE ISSUE.

The AH might not be the root cause, but it is an issue. The problem is time vs money. I'm not talking about the RMAH here. A few people want to be super geared really quickly, so they spend real money to buy massive quantities of gold from gold farmers.

The result of this is that gold values are inflated, which makes everything vastly more expensive than it should be. A few lucky lottery winners benefit as they sell their drops for hundreds of millions, if not billions of illegitimate gold. This raises prices even more, hurting many of us who aren't rich, and won't use the RMAH or gold farmers.

While not a true solution, Blizzard should have made it impossible to trade gold, or at worst, limited the amount of trading to something like 100k while keeping the AH gold based. This would have forced a bartering system. Prices would still be inflated, but not nearly to the extent that they are now. Also, because of the bartering system with crafting materials being the only sure thing, this would have allowed all players, rather than a select few, to benefit off the inflation.
Reply Quote
Items u find are a bonus. counting on anything you can sell to increase your bankroll is the wrong approach. farm gold and forget the AH. as most items are worth more for the essences they are made from than the item itself dont be afraid to salvage them and sell the pieces. by no means am i wealthy but i have made over 200 million in less than a month.
Reply Quote
Your problem OP, is that you're in the scrub core ... oops, i mean soft core league. Join us in Hardcore , and you will see that our economy isnt to bad at all.

Blizz really should have added ladders. Hardcore is about as close as we get.
Reply Quote
You have to accept a certain reality: chinese gold farmers have flooded the economy with gold. There is now so much gold that even tier 2 items are now leaving the GAH for the RMAH because of the 2 billion gold cap.

So what can you do?

First, because of the higher drop rate since 1.0.5, you can get legendary and set items for cheap if you don't insist on perfection. You can easily outfit any class to survive inferno/mp0, and do it with one of two strategies:

1) gain paragon fast (optimize for kill speed, and do blazing fast mp0/mp1 runs)
2) load up on MF and paragon slower

So here are some steps, supposing you start from zero, jump in wherever you actually are:

1) Level to 60. People will power level you for free if you ask nice on weekend evenings. Use the PVE forum to get help. This should take no more than 5 hours.

2) Go back to nightmare, a3, mp10. You should be able to nuke that into the ground with even the worst equipment at level 60. Spend every 25k you earn on better items until you are feeling so overpowered you are ready for hell. Use pickup radius to make gold scraping easy. This should take about 5 more hours.

3) do hell, a3, mp10. You can get almost as much gold here as in inferno. Save up 2 million, then spend it on gear with AR so you can switch to inferno mp0. This might take 20 hours if you're really unlucky.

4) Now you can farm inferno, at least at mp0. Buy items carefully with whatever money you earn to get into mp1 which has a host of benefits. Might take another 10 hours to get equipped for mp1.

Now you're in good shape, you can potentially acquire any item in the game, and it's down to luck when (or if) you'll strike it rich and move up gear tiers. It may never happen for you (it hasn't for me), but if you're not willing to use the RMAH this is the only hope.

If you are willing to play the GAH game, save up 10 mil by scraping gold and selling items. Use that to find something underpriced (do searches for mid tier gear, and find the one that is mispriced). You're looking for an item that is priced with a buyout at 10% of the price of the next better (or better yet, worse) item. Relist it with a buyout at 50% of the next better item. Take your 25% gain and plow into additional purchases. Repeat until you have as much gold as you want.

Well actually I have one character of every class at 60. And I chose my wizard to start paragon levelling, and I'm doing mp1 inferno. Up to level 15 paragon. Also made a couple million gold last night.

I hadn't considered your outline for gearing other characters more cheaply though; thanks for the good advice.
Reply Quote
One thing though, the crafting aspect is horrid. You should be able to at the very least choose which attributes you want in the item. Any one who has played NeverWinter nights knows the crafting can be so much better. At least allow the crafter to know that if he uses certain ingredients his item will have these attributes. the numbers can still be randomly generated but at least you would have a chance to get something useful.
Reply Quote
More great advice from several people. I'm getting alot of advice about my monk, so I should say I've decided to farm paragon levels on my wizard. I found Archon to be alot of fun. I will probably play the monk from time to time but for now, its the grind for my wizard.
Reply Quote
worst advice ever and yet you tell him how to farm gold. its hard to flip items in the auction house when nobody buys them. even when you under price them there is no promise that your item sells. the only thing that is a given is that monsters drop gold. I've seen 15 million gold earned in an hour. so tell me how getting it yourself and not waiting on somebody else is bad?
Reply Quote
04/15/2013 12:30 PMPosted by davinci
Basically, my point: How in the world am I supposed to be able to afford anything?

Gear is way cheaper and more available than it was at release.

If you are piss poor, my best advice is picking up all rares and any blues worth 1k or more. Press ctrl to see value on the ground.

Vendor or salvage the crappy rares, vendor the blues. Pick up any gold pile over 200 on the ground. It adds up for the those in poverty.

Save up a few million by doing this. It should only take a few days of playing often. That is enough to buy welfare upgrades. Welfare upgrades will get you into higher MP levels. Higher MP levels drop more gold and give you more drops. This will also increase your XP gain, giving you more paragon XP. Max paragon will triple your chances of finding good loot over time, in addition to its other stat benefits.

During or after this process you will find something worth selling on the auction. Invest it wisely in upgrades.

Repeat until you are the pokemon master.

Or save up some gold and flip items, but that is the boring way to play in my opinion. Being able to buy everything in a month takes all of the fun out of the game.
Edited by Murderin#1918 on 4/16/2013 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What is the problem here? No one ever said you have to play MP10, heck no one even said you have to play inferno for that matter. Play where you play. There is no different between fighting Diablo on Hell vs inferno, he does the exact same thing.
Reply Quote
The main reason this thread was posted was just to give feedback to the developers. What they do with it is up to them. There are certainly people who both agree and disagree with some of the points that I've brought up, and certainly alot of this has been discussed throughout the game's evolution. I just wanted to constructively post my criticisms about how the game works currently, and hopefully itemization changes will help (whenever that may be, months away is my guess).

There are certainly many ways that working the AH could be more fun (in fact in WoW and other MMOs this is how I spent most of my time).
Reply Quote
The problem is, U STOPPED PLAYING! Just like real live, if you save 1 mil gold today, as time goes by that 1 mil gold looses value. So, just have a fresh start, play inferno MP1, get items and improve your char slowly my friend!!!
Reply Quote
04/15/2013 04:26 PMPosted by davinci

I did some math and selling directly to vendors is more cost effective than salvaging and selling materials. It's faster as well. Assuming you average 1500-2000 gold to sell to vendor, you are getting more than what the AH pays for crafting materials.

What are the average number of materials expected per salvage? Is there a website out there that has them?

I tried both methods for a period of time to see which was resulted in more income. I filled my stash a few times and got an average vendor sales number and an average of how much sellable crafting materials I produced. Just selling to vendor brought in ~25% more gold.
Reply Quote

What are the average number of materials expected per salvage? Is there a website out there that has them?

I tried both methods for a period of time to see which was resulted in more income. I filled my stash a few times and got an average vendor sales number and an average of how much sellable crafting materials I produced. Just selling to vendor brought in ~25% more gold.

It's very dependent on the vendor price of the items (which I assume is dependent on your farming level) and the prices of the crafting materials on the AH. In theory you could horde crafting materials and sell them only when the prices are high, and do much better than just selling them immediately.
Reply Quote
@ davinci

I agree with your OP in the sense that this economy can leave players by the wayside if they don't play consistently. However, you do have a couple of options that some people have already outlined:

1. Don't use the auction house and embrace the grind (and don't compare yourself to others you see on the forums who, through any number of methods, likely have gear you will never acquire).

2. Find one of the budget build guides on the Monk forums. The Monk forums are awesome, and I have seen plenty of people who have built incredible sets for nearly nothing. You could probably upgrade every one of your gears for under 2-3 million total... just gotta know what to look for, and the guides help with that.

3. Buy gold. Some may say this ruins the game or something to that effect, but there is a very real initial hump you need to clear before you can farm and paragon level efficiently, in my opinion. For a Monk, I think that threshold is around 100k dps if you are playing the standard cookie cutter dual wield spec, and you can get there for under 10m gold (which costs what, $3-5?).

Some may also say that it's a slippery slope once you buy gold with real money. I didn't find this to be true in my experience. I was in the same boat as you... so I paid $20 for 40 million gold back in November, invested wisely in a new set of gear, and have seen great results since (farming faster, finding more drops, paragon leveled fairly high). Something to consider...

Good luck!

I mostly agree...

1. I was able to play self-found until I got about halfway through Inferno, then it got slow. Meaning I was having trouble getting through elite packs. Multiple elites, forget it... Spent a couple million per char to upgrade and was back in the game. I could have continued grinding, but my life schedule changed and I didn't have the same amount of time to play and wanted to paragon level faster.

2. This works! You can get decent gear for cheap if you know what to look for.

3. MAYBE. Not really necessary though. The gold I used to upgrade I made playing for a week or so, 2-3 hours a day. Swiping your credit card will obviously get you there faster, but if you go overboard the game will be less of a challenge and upgrade through drops becomes impossible.

I am happy where I am now. I am farming Paragon on MP1 at a reasonable clip. I am not "melting" elite mobs by any means, still have to use some strategy to deal with them and stay alive (my definition of "fun").
Reply Quote

It's very dependent on the vendor price of the items (which I assume is dependent on your farming level) and the prices of the crafting materials on the AH. In theory you could horde crafting materials and sell them only when the prices are high, and do much better than just selling them immediately.

Vendor price I was getting averaged ~2000 gold, while craft materials per item was ~1500. I was looking for quick turn around and not waiting for the craft mat market to peak. If the peaks and valleys are that drastic it may be worthwhile since they don't take up a lot of storage space...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]