Diablo® III

A returning player's frustration with the AH

04/15/2013 12:30 PMPosted by davinci
2) Saved search criteria. Please, for the love of (something), let me save the search criteria I just spent 10 minutes refining in order to find gear that I both want and can afford. Without forcing me to pop open good-ole' Excel on another computer.

The only reason they would do this is for the love of the consumer, but they don't care about them, it's shown through soo many of their actions, most recent being patch 1.08, which has many things that would baffle consumers, why it wasn't released with the game considering they stated "We will release Diablo when it's good and ready."

04/15/2013 12:30 PMPosted by davinci
c) why is crafting still so much of a money sink? I'm not spending a percent of my entire current bank account to craft an item that could get 5 useless affixes. My mind is still blown how horribly inefficient crafting is; and this is compared to the inefficiency of the AH, which means that on an absolute scale of inefficiency, crafting just made my head explode.

It's supposed to be a money sink, it's a feature mostly made for all those billionaires you were talking about before and making them waste their money. Personally I think it was very ineffective, and shows that blizzard has no imagination!
Reply Quote
yet if you look in most profiles. you will find most of them have crafted shoulders and gloves etc
if you ahve the !@#$test luck then it will be a money sink but i personally found i spent very little on crafting
Reply Quote
lol who cares, if he had not quit he'd have gear. I have no sympathy for those that quit an then upon return whine. He has been given sound advice now let him do what needs to be done or leave again.
Reply Quote
Gold sellers have depreciated the value of gold dramatically since release. The cheapest you can get gold on AH is 0.25/ mil. On gold sites they sell for 200 mil for $9.00.

As a person that despises the gold sites because they use farming bots, "paid farmers", and hack peoples' accounts to get their gold, I hated the D2 economy. The Blizzard AH was meant to help offset the outside influences but it hasn't quite worked. Instead gold values have sunk due to the extreme supply.

It should be noted that with density increases supply will increase again and thus values drop even more.

The problem of supply increasing and values depreciating is only going to get worse as time goes on. The best way to get a handle on things is to lower the limit on how much gold you can hold.

In D1 and D2 there was a hard limit on how much you could hoard on your character and you bank. If Blizzard had set a limit on D3 at something like 100 mil (random number) then gold farmers are limited by the number of accounts that can hoard that much.

The AH ensures that gold will remain as a suitable currency but with limits that prevent it from being worth its current state of nothing.
Reply Quote
Are you perhaps retarded? gear is so cheap its never been easier for somebody to take a break, return, and re gear with minimal gold
Reply Quote
Ban Review
You're just supposed to farm.
Get some gear then farm until you get a good item. I had a friend that was paragon level 8 when he got an amulet that sold for 150mil back when gold was more valuable (close to about 500mil now).
From one run you get 100k before paragon levels, just from the rares you id and vendor/sell salvaged materials. On top of that, you have the rares that you could potentially sell for so much.

You have flaws in your own post. People don't NEED BiS gear to flip. That's the beauty of it. You can have no gear and flip really expensive gear, have a little bit of gear and flip a little bit, or not flip at all and just pool all your money in your character. It's up to you.

Also, you don't need great gear to level up. Just get a hellfire ring with some average damage on it and then weapons and helms with sockets and put red gems in them, and maybe some movement speed on your items too. Besides, if you think low level items are so rare and expensive, why dont you farm them and sell them?

Derp. Derp. Derp.
Reply Quote
the AH sucks. but we are being held hostage by it. however, i have faith that it's on it's last legs and that better items are on their way
Reply Quote
selling unids is an easy way to make quick gold.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the replies.

I find it comical how many people get arrogant about the fact that I left the game and then came back. Like, I should have kept sitting around and playing a game that drove me crazy, and I wouldn't be having this problem now.

In truth they really should have just not put an AH in the game. I understand the reasoning behind it; it all boils down to trying to stop the gold farmers from making real money, and/or actually taxing those sales so they can profit off of it too. And I understand and have no problem with DRM in order to stop the monetary losses from pirating.

But the system is only barely functional. The only responses that attack me are usually arrogant and the reason is most likely because those people have simply put in way more time than the rest of us, and they feel their opinion is the only one that's valuable. Good for them. That's not going to stop me from complaining about the things that frustrate me, because I don't care how so-and-so with 100000 elite kills feels about the game. That's a small and dedicated portion of the game population.

Yes, that upper stratosphere is attainable. But the transition from "poor" to "not-poor" doesn't seem to be clear and some of the methods that on first glance seem plausible (or fun) are not plausible (or fun). This is the basic problem for me with the game. How to make other aspects of making several million gold more fun, instead of like pulling teeth.

If you already have hundreds of millions of gold you're like the rich people in real life. You tell people to just work harder and you'll get there. The truth is that's not necessarily true, since almost everyone admits that making gold is based on luck. If you play more, you increase your chances that it will happen for you. Fine. I'm going to play more. But, in the meantime, I'd like to have a steady stream of decent income. At MP2 and paragon level 18, I've gotten 2 legendaries in the last couple of days. Their total value is less than a million.

I'm not expecting to have gotten a legendary worth 500 million; but even at what seems like a decent farming level and ~150% MF I'm not finding anything worth any value. At what point have I put in enough time that I'm "allowed" to start making money off of my drops? MF 300%? MP ____ ?

If the way to make money by playing the game is to vendor stuff and hope to strike it rich, then I contend that's a horrible model, and that there should be a more steady stream of income while paragon leveling.
Reply Quote
Just looking at the first page from today there is at least one thread about every frustration I've posted in this thread.
Reply Quote
The game does not need to change - the solutions to your problems are readily available. It just takes time.

Want gold?
Pick it up off the ground!
Stack gold find
An item with pickup radius will make sure you don't miss any.

Want better items?
Stack Magic Find. You would be surprised how many more items drop. rares + blues + legends. I am close to the cap and usually a legend will drop about once an hour or so.

This is not rocket science. You created one of each character which is really cool - but most of the elites you have killed with them are probably on hell difficulty or early inferno. You are not going to get those beast drops pre inferno.

The upgrade path is the same for everyone. Put in enough time and your gear gets better by finding/crafting or ah hunting.

To quote Johnny Cash
"I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime."
Reply Quote
To quote Johnny Cash
"I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime."

Pretty much describes how I have equipped all 5 of my chars... It's a grind, but I had fun along the way so it was worth it.

Great song BTW...
Reply Quote
Some people have jobs that pay little money. In order to get a better job, they need to spend some money on training, but unfortunately they can't afford to do so.

This is very frustrating for many. I hope Blizzard can fix this..
Reply Quote
Friend just sold a 5 affix spear for 250EU.

1995 dps
+min/maxdmg
+49%dmg
socket
99%crit
2.8LS

Edit:

250eu is about $300. If u buy $300 worth of gems then sell thats about 6-7 billion worth of gold. U just need to hit it lucky and ull be swimming in the gold.
Edited by Shampain#2198 on 4/17/2013 2:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No, just no. OP you are wrong. I get great gear that would have sold for 100 usd 6 months ago, and I do a search for similar gear on the AH, and find it's only selling for 30k now, that's not expensive at all. Example: Immortal Kings' gear, that stuff is barely worth the brimstone that you can salvage it for nowdays unless it's rolled stuff to be BiS, then of course it's like a billion gold or something, because it's just that rare. But you can get some really great, cheap gear that will let you blow through inferno on low MPs.

Don't cry just because you don't have the BiS, Blizzard has been giving in to whiners all along, and you know what happens? Gear that was considered BiS 6 months ago drops like candy, and being the spoiled brats that you are, you guys still complain about not being able to get good loot or gear being too expensive, because even though you have access to BiS gear from when you were whining, all of a sudden you guys see the billion gold item that's the rarest of the rare being out of your reach now. Even though "good loot" 6 months ago is selling for 30k now, instead of being happy about that you guys search for the most expensive gear and cite the prices as what's "Wrong with the game". Guess what? The most expensive gear in the game is supposed to be expensive, if you could afford it with the gold you get off of one run, no one would play this game.
Edited by Ceral#1383 on 4/17/2013 2:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
In truth they really should have just not put an AH in the game. I understand the reasoning behind it; it all boils down to trying to stop the gold farmers from making real money, and/or actually taxing those sales so they can profit off of it too. And I understand and have no problem with DRM in order to stop the monetary losses from pirating.

But the system is only barely functional. The only responses that attack me are usually arrogant and the reason is most likely because those people have simply put in way more time than the rest of us, and they feel their opinion is the only one that's valuable. Good for them. That's not going to stop me from complaining about the things that frustrate me, because I don't care how so-and-so with 100000 elite kills feels about the game. That's a small and dedicated portion of the game population.

Like I have told others the AH is just a symptom of the real problem itemization. When the devs finally fix itemization where it is awesome with all kinds of awesome sauce. Then the AH will not be the problem.

The gold auction house is there because for many players it is not fun spending an entire session sitting in chat saying WTB or WTS <insert name> hoping someone will come along and buy what you have. Or will be willing to sell you the item you want. Some times in D2 you might spend days trying to find an item to by in chat or maybe even spend days in chat trying to sell and item.

Also you have players now that are not nearly as honest as they were during the heyday of D2:LOD. More players would be scammed if there were no AHs in this game.

Yes, that upper stratosphere is attainable. But the transition from "poor" to "not-poor" doesn't seem to be clear and some of the methods that on first glance seem plausible (or fun) are not plausible (or fun). This is the basic problem for me with the game. How to make other aspects of making several million gold more fun, instead of like pulling teeth.

If you already have hundreds of millions of gold you're like the rich people in real life. You tell people to just work harder and you'll get there. The truth is that's not necessarily true, since almost everyone admits that making gold is based on luck. If you play more, you increase your chances that it will happen for you. Fine. I'm going to play more. But, in the meantime, I'd like to have a steady stream of decent income. At MP2 and paragon level 18, I've gotten 2 legendaries in the last couple of days. Their total value is less than a million.

The transition from poor to rich is hard process in real life. But the only way to get there is to find out how others got there. In real life there are those that do tell you how they done it. Then if you can copy them and follow their strategies for success and wealth. Then you should have no trouble at all when it comes to attaining the level of success and wealth that you want in real life.

The process is the same in the game. But the only difference here is that players will not be as likely to horde all of the secrets. So if you want to learn how to get steady streams of gold just start looking for information on how others are doing just that.
Reply Quote
Farm a couple hundred hours and then use that gold to start flipping, like many of us have done. If you'd rather, sink $10 into the RMAH and pull out plenty of gold to start flipping with.

Hearing people complain about how they can't make money is insanely frustrating.

No one I have ever met that has legitimately played 500, 600, 700+ hours is ever in poverty.

If you're not willing to pay for the time, why on earth do you think you should be as well geared as these people?
Reply Quote
View profile
Go to the RMAH, buy 3 high emeralds, sell for 60mill, go buy what you want.

Or you could realize that you have not been playing and have earned NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
@davinci

First off, check out this thread for help gearing your monk: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811401880?page=1

Second, I feel your pain brother. I've put in almost 800 hours and never found anything worth more than 10 mil gold. Seems like inflation wipes out my gold stash faster than I can build it up. It sucks. A lot of the idiots in this thread have no idea what it's like to be truly unlucky.

As far as I know there are 4 ways to get rich:

1. Become a cheater/botter and make/dupe gold (& itmes) 24 hours a day.
2. Buy gold with real money. $25 gets you 100M on RMAH (and more in other places).
3. Win the RNG lotto with an item and sell on GAH for 500M+.
4. Play 16 hours a day 7 days a week, level up to Paragon 100 and collect all the gold you can.

So, if you don't get supper lucky, what's the next best option? It's certainly not #1. So that leaves #2 & #4. Which of those two is worse? Not sure myself.... let's see, waste my life playing D3 hoping to get super lucky. Or, waste my money on virtual gear? Both are bad.

Let's do a little calculation. I've played about 800 hours of D3 and picked up about 35 mil gold. I estimate I've sold another 35 mil on the auction house for a total of 70 mil. If I were to buy it on the RMAH it would cost $17.50 (a lot less if I were to buy it elsewhere, let's say $3.00).

$17.50/800 = 0.021875.

So, playing D3 I make about 2 cents an hour.

Let's say I make about $45/hour at my day job and around $30/hour take home.

$30/0.02 = 1500

So, 1 hour of RL work = 1500 hours of D3 work. (I think I just convinced myself which is worse).

Be patient and hang in there. Or, if you want to press the fast forward button, just go buy $25 of gold and boom you got plenty-o-gold. You spent $60 on the game, another $25 to get more enjoyment out of it doesn't seem like a lot to me.
Reply Quote
Don't worry...even Blizzard agrees that the AHs were a really bad idea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]