Diablo® III

No Serenity? No Problem...

04/19/2013 09:53 PMPosted by INJEKT
The fastest way i can kill ghom on mp6 is by spamming wol-emp.wave. and i've tried !@#$loads of builds i can afford to build. and i have no where near your stats. with 140k pdps my monk kills mp6 ghom (36mil hp) in just under 16s with bell spamming.

The reason you can do this is because you're using quickening and exalted soul...it gives you the spirit generation and capacity to do this. This doesn't come without sacrifice as big packs of monsters that you kill will be killed slower than if you used thunderclap and combo strike/guiding light.

At an MP that is your breaking point, the best thing about thunderclap is the teleport ability, it allows you to engage particular monsters (target fire), escape, keep winds going by attacking objects or monsters far away, skip over arcane and other affixes, the list goes on and on.

And also, at your breaking point MP, what is your plan when you are completely surrounded by monsters, arcane beams, ice thats about to explode and then you get jailed?
Reply Quote
@Omni

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#USXeYk!bdU!bYYbca

Try to play with this build.
WotHF:FoF to apply DoT (much like how EP is), Nirvana:[BoH -> Blind -> Bell x 5seconds], rinse and repeat.
I believe this build is Skorn friendly.
Reply Quote
/popcorn
Reply Quote
@Omni

Have you tired 150+dex inna belt?
Instead of WH it may give you more dmg per bell?

And u save 1 SW spirit for 1bell in every battle
Reply Quote
WotHF:FoF to apply DoT (much like how EP is), Nirvana:[BoH -> Blind -> Bell x 5seconds], rinse and repeat.

An interesting build. Not sure if I like not having cyclone, blazing wrath and combo strike just because of the LS and dps loss but maybe more WoLs would make up for that. My paper dps goes down 57K without Combo and Blazing Wrath so I'll have to see. I would love to use Hundred fists more often but for some reason it seems to build spirit slower than FoT. I'll giver a twirl tho.
Reply Quote
Have you tired 150+dex inna belt?
Instead of WH it may give you more dmg per bell?

Yeah I tried it and other than sweeping winds costing no spirit it wasn't as useful or powerful. It reduces my dps only by about 3500 but its the type of damage that hurts me. I need as much atk speed and CD as possible. If I ever get a CC mempo and/or switch to dual I would consider the inna belt. I'm going to be using crafted bracers once I get a good mempo so that's gonna hurt my IAS even more.
Reply Quote

Gaver a go on mp9 and it works pretty well actually. I died a lot but maybe it's because I'm not used to the build quite yet as supposed to it actually having lower sustainability. I can see certain packs being a problem, especially if maneuverability is needed. Will test a bit more.
Reply Quote
20 mil damage every 30 secs?!?!

Wow, that si like 666,666.67 dps.

That is right up there with, like, say, any basic spirit generator attack![/quote)

Did you even read the post? LOL Can you do 666Kdps AND fill your health AND be temporarily invulnerable AND do it from a distance AND prevent yourself from being surrounded AND do splash damage on top of that with any other skill in the monk arsenal? The 666K is the cherry on the sundae, pal. Try running MP10 without your precious serenity and see how it goes. You missed the TITLE OF THIS POST. Look up and read again.

That is correct. Let me put it this way....by not spamming sayyyy WoL, I increase my total dps by 78% every 15 seonds for 3 seconds at a time. Is that simple enough for you?

[quote]You realize by combining Overawe 48%, FITL 30%, GL in coop for 16%, and in 5seconds Nirvana time you can spam 8 bells, non-nirvana 7seconds you can get a steady 1-second interval bell spamming? Oh and I missed out a 8% from combo strike!

LOL i think.....this is what I was trying to say....? Not even sure what Nirvana is though. Good band. Kurt Cobain, such a tragedy. Read my post lol.

COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WRONG

You are using 2h. thats why you cant spam.

I spam bells all day long. and it heals 1/2 my hp each time.
overawe + 3 bells before 3 second buff is over. rinse and repeat.
obviously for dw....

I wanted to retouch on this genius's theory of "why i can't spam" a skill. Let's say you are a dual wield with 2.5 aps...which to be honest is quite a bit. You might have slightly more but whatever. Poor old me has only 1.6 aps with my Skorn. Lets do the math...using 6 spirit per attack of thunderclap:

1.6x6 = 9.6 x 35% increase from GP = 12.96
2.5x6 = 15

OMG 2 more spirit per second???????????????????? That's like soooooooo much better! Holy crap. Get me an EF right away please. Sensing the sarcasm? You shouldn't spam skills as monk, ever...period. 78% total dps increase every 12 seconds for 3 seconds, bra.

I'd listen to you, but I'm too busy two-shotting elites and one-shotting entire rooms with Wave of Light, instead of punching things to death and sitting there for several minutes.
Reply Quote
04/20/2013 12:10 PMPosted by Kupo
I'd listen to you, but I'm too busy two-shotting elites and one-shotting entire rooms with Wave of Light, instead of punching things to death and sitting there for several minutes.

Let me guess....MP6? LOL

And if you actually read the post, SSS and WoL are interchangeable. WoL just isn't good enough for mp10 (for my character, anyways) unless I use it with serenity.

Oh yeah and uh.....read the title of the post too, Serenity Boy LOL
Edited by Omniscient#1704 on 4/20/2013 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/20/2013 03:40 PMPosted by Omniscient

Let me guess....MP6? LOL

And if you actually read the post, SSS and WoL are interchangeable. WoL just isn't good enough for mp10 (for my character, anyways) unless I use it with serenity.

Oh yeah and uh.....read the title of the post too, Serenity Boy LOL

Well, the thread is more about your spec choices overall than a single skill.

I don't like Seven-Sided Strike. Not because it sucks, but because Empowered Wave is SOOOO much better. Think about it. You have a thirty second cooldown ability that hits for, what, 1707% damage, and is kind of unreliable? At least it is for me. I hit it in the middle of a group of mobs, and they all scatter like they saw it coming. Anyway, Empowered Wave can do that in two seconds, but without a cooldown, and a line effect. Yeah, you get the immunity while Striking, but overall it just doesn't compare.
Reply Quote
lol I eat spam and take full advantage of those short 3 seconds buffs... alll day.
Reply Quote
04/20/2013 11:13 PMPosted by Kupo
I don't like Seven-Sided Strike. Not because it sucks, but because Empowered Wave is SOOOO much better. Think about it. You have a thirty second cooldown ability that hits for, what, 1707% damage, and is kind of unreliable? At least it is for me. I hit it in the middle of a group of mobs, and they all scatter like they saw it coming. Anyway, Empowered Wave can do that in two seconds, but without a cooldown, and a line effect. Yeah, you get the immunity while Striking, but overall it just doesn't compare.

Just...read the OP again lol. The UNEDITED OP I might add.

I said I use SSS OR WoL for MP9 or lower solo. WoL in a group if the group is strong. MP10 MUST BE SSS for my character. I agree, WoL does very sick damage but in comparison to SSS it sucks for sustainability. Unreliable? It's as reliable as serenity for me but does a lot of damage (1 shotting entire packs on MP7 damage). I don't die on my mp10 runs if i use SSS. I might die 3 or 4 times in an hour if I use WoL. I obviously hate dying lol.

Once you get alllllll grown up and can play with the big boys, where you can't just 2 shot a pack and actually need to micro and manage your spirit/skill timings, you just might find WoL a little hard to use without serenity.

The purpose of this post is to show some monks who may be using serenity that they don't necessarily need to. Here's how I do it and it works tremendously. Killing packs in 20 seconds in MP10 tremendously. That's it! End of story! LOL

GG and GL out there,

Omni
Reply Quote
Strange, I can't one-shot elite groups on MP3 with it.

Anyway, what sets Wave of Light apart is life steal. If you have life steal, Wave becomes a lifeblood, and keeps you afloat very easily.

You're right though, you don't NEED Serenity. I can imagine that it doesn't serve a purpose when you can't get what you need done in time, because things just live too long.

But thanks. because I don't have super-godly gear, I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Whatever.
Reply Quote
I wanted to retouch on this genius's theory of "why i can't spam" a skill. Let's say you are a dual wield with 2.5 aps...which to be honest is quite a bit. You might have slightly more but whatever. Poor old me has only 1.6 aps with my Skorn. Lets do the math...using 6 spirit per attack of thunderclap:

1.6x6 = 9.6 x 35% increase from GP = 12.96
2.5x6 = 15

OMG 2 more spirit per second???????????????????? That's like soooooooo much better!

Let's be fair about this. For starters, you're not accounting for the haste modifier of TC, which is roughly 1.5. So it starts here:

1.6 x 6 x 1.5 = 19.44
2.5 x 6 x 1.5 = 22.5

Second, you're including a passive for yourself, but not for the player with the 2.5 APS. So, to keep it in terms of spirit, let's give him CoR for an extra 2 spirit per second. Now we're here:

1.6 x 6 x 1.5 = 19.44
2.5 x 6 x 1.5 = 22.5 + 2 = 24.5

I'd say 5 spirit per second is fairly significant. I'm not even sure what everyone is arguing about in this thread, and I don't really care. On the topic, I can slap down MP7 just fine without Serenity, without WoL, and without the AH. A 100K paper DPS is more than sufficient, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway! Carry on!
Reply Quote

Anyway, what sets Wave of Light apart is life steal. If you have life steal, Wave becomes a lifeblood, and keeps you afloat very easily.

You're right though, you don't NEED Serenity. I can imagine that it doesn't serve a purpose when you can't get what you need done in time, because things just live too long.

But thanks. because I don't have super-godly gear, I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Whatever.

You're doing it wrong. That's the whole point of this post. You make sure all of your dps buffs are active, then hit overawe, then hit blind, then hit WoL or SSS within 1 second <---- one shot. Plus I have 1595 weapon damage so that helps.

You can have an opinion, just make sure you actually read the post in full before commenting, instead of just reading the first line and then jumping to your conclusion.
Reply Quote

You're doing it wrong. That's the whole point of this post. You make sure all of your dps buffs are active, then hit overawe, then hit blind, then hit WoL or SSS within 1 second <---- one shot. Plus I have 1595 weapon damage so that helps.

You can have an opinion, just make sure you actually read the post in full before commenting, instead of just reading the first line and then jumping to your conclusion.

Actually, the post I had in this thread was here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569600835?page=2#28

As you can see, you made two points here. One, that you don't know what Nirvana is, and you make a stupid joke about it instead of looking it up, or asking, or just in general not being a prick about it. Your other point is vague. I think what you're trying to get at here is that Faith in the Light is better than Wave of Light, because you get 78% bonus damage every 12 seconds. That's not exactly true, because you can spam your Mantra anytime you want, and who's to say other people aren't doing the same? It's still a 30% damage bonus.

You're right. Technically, you can't "spam" a skill because you will eventually run out of spirit. I think the point being made is that it has no cooldown, can be made really cheap with the right rune, and does a ton of damage while providing plenty of life with life steal. The point being made at "I can spam WoL all day long", was that I can get the same if not more damage from using it, over having to rely on a skill with a 12 second cooldown.
Reply Quote
Let's follow this fun sequence of events:

You make thread. Say things like:

"The SSS build is better for the higher MP or in groups with people that have characters not as good as yours. It gives you a bailout."

"Now, the key is.... Monk is NOT A SPAMMING CLASS."

I'm listing those directly from your post. Now, obviously, if you wanted responses, you would have made a thread about it. Which you did. And other people responded:

You begin your petty insults here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569600835?page=1#20

Now, at this point, I made one post that didn't go anywhere. No big deal.

And here's two posts speaking to you. No big deal, but it's important later: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569600835?page=2#24

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569600835?page=2#25

Here's where you start to insult me: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569600835?page=2#29

"Oh yeah and uh.....read the title of the post too, Serenity Boy LOL"

See, here's the thing. I can name a thread "flying monkeys from outer space", but that doesn't mean that everyone is going to talk about what kind of drugs I'm doing, if my OP says things like "what do you think of this spec choice?" Not to mention, my post was absolutely, completely, 100% DIRECTLY related to the post by yours THAT I QUOTED. So, what's the problem? You don't like people commenting on your spec of choice (even though it's the only point to make a thread about it), but you're ok with people suggesting you other specs, while you actually flame the people STAYING ON TOPIC?

But it's ok, you continue insulting me: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569600835?page=2#32

"Once you get alllllll grown up and can play with the big boys,"

This time, it's important to show you what you said: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569600835?page=2#35

I did read the post. I read the post, I read every post in the thread. I also read the post THAT I RESPONDED TO. So, if I'm not talking about Serenity, then I'm off-topic, right? Congratulations, then. Go ban yourself because you're off-topic the whole time. I didn't quote the OP, I quoted the post that I quoted, which was you wondering about spamming. But, other people can suggest you try a Nirvana build, which you then ridicule, but don't show any offense to it not having the word "Serenity" in it.

But it's ok, you continue to insult and harass me, because why not? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569600835?page=2#37

"You are literally too dumb for me to explain things in a complex manner so I will just K.I.S.S for you."

So, I'm dumb because I continued the "off-topic" conversation THAT I DIDN'T EVEN START. Thanks, I appreciate you targeting me for no reason whatsoever.

By the way, as a final thought, your spec. It's not original. It's not unique. You didn't create it. It's the same cookie-cutter spec that everyone has been using since day 1. All you did was switch out Serenity with Wave of Light/Seven-Sided Strike. Which is also what people have been doing, except they usually replace Blinding Flash for it, and since the buff, it's always been Wave of Light, because with Empowered Wave it does a TON of damage at low cost. Oh, and one last thing. I AGREED with you about Serenity there. Matter of fact, I'm the only other person to freaking bring it up, yet you continue to harass me for being "off-topic" and insults for no damn reason.
Edited by Kupo#1759 on 4/22/2013 1:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]