Diablo® III

Finally upgrading to a new iMac! Any tips?

So tomorrow I'm finally making the upgrade to a new iMac from my 2007 MacBook Pro and can't wait to try out d3 on it as soon as I get home. However, before I make my purchase I've got a couple questions regarding the various upgrade options available from Apple:

1. Should I even bother upgrading to the i7 from the i5? Will Hyper-Threading technology ever be useful in terms of gaming in the future? I want to be at least somewhat "future proof" for the next 3 years.

2. Apple RAM is expensive, should I just upgrade it using 3rd party sellers like Amazon? Is going from 8gb to 32gb going to provide a noticeable performance boost to gaming?

3. If I don't upgrade to the i7 I'll have money left to buy some $200-$300 speakers or head phones, worth it? Or should I just stick with the built in speakers? Does anyone have good recommendations as far as speakers/head phones go?

I'll obviously be upgrading the video card to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB of dedicated GDDR5 video memory.

Thanks everyone
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
up the vid card. i also say up the cpu. blizzard games are VERY cpu driven. scenery is gpu but enemies on screen and large fights, all cpu, and diablo 3, starcraft 2 and wow are all about large fights.

ram get aftermarket from www.macsales.com or someone else who guarantees apple spec memory at low pricing
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
I'm going to second the i7. You'll want every ounce of processing power for Blizzard games. It's less about the hyperthreading with the i7 than it is about the better clock frequency and slightly better internal architecture. And once you order you cannot upgrade either component (vid card and CPU), so max them out now or you'll regret it down the line when the games invariably require more CPU to maintain the same/equivalant settings.

Reply Quote
You will definitely see a nice performance increase.

Desktop hardware > Mobile hardware.

A Mobile i5 versus Mobile i7 is negligible.
Reply Quote
Thanks everyone!

I'm typing this on my new 27inch iMac with the i7 and 680MX! The screen is amazing.

I didn't get any speakers or headphones yet, still looking around for those. I'll do some browsing while I install D3.
Reply Quote
@ Monstrous

Please let us know how the title performs on your beautiful new Macintosh. Remember to toggle the FPS display!
Reply Quote
Doing Keep Depths runs and getting anywhere from 70-98 FPS with max settings at full res, music in background and downloading some other stuff in the background as well. Best of all I can't really even hear any fans running and the back is just slightly warm.

I might make the jump to HC now since I actually trust my machine ;) It was hard playing at 800x600 with lowest settings and still almost unplayable lag/stutter. Hell I might even start playing in some public games now haha.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the sound which I'm planning on fixing soon with some head phones or speakers, but i'm in no rush.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Glad to see you are enjoying your new machine! Make sure to take good care of it. They aren't cheap and you'll want it to last you as long as it can. :)

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
70-98 fps, you may want to consider a 60fps foreground cap though. imac has a 60hz screen so those extra frames aren't doing anything more than just causing extra wear and tear. let the machine achieve beautiful gameplay without being maxed out. basically, set cruise control on the engine, don't redline it if you don't have to :)
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 4/9/2013 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmm, I use a MBP 2009 2.53 C2D, 4gb Ram and a Nvidia 9400...

ANYTHING is better than what I use so... Performance wise, comparing mine to lets say the basic 11" MBA,... is better!

I play on lowest settings and get usually 35 FPS... Lowest settings peeps...

I know a MBA 2010 1.86/2gb/Nvidia 330? runs the game like ALOT better than my rig, cuz its old...
Reply Quote
I just read more of this thread, I wish I could get the entry iMac... obviously my car is more importante than a new iMac, but MMmmHmmm D3 would be so awesome on a new Mac...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]