Diablo® III

Would you pay for another Online Only game?

After my experience with my own crappy internet, Blizzard side disconnects and rubber banding, gold spammers + out of control friend requests, seeing threads from scores of people who logged in to a naked account, getting kicked for being idle after 20-30 mins, maintenance downtimes, high latency etc., I will definitely not buy another online only game.

I may in the future play a free 2 play game, but definitely will not pay for another online only game.

How about you?
Reply Quote
Not to sound like a fanboy or anything, but not once... not once... playing this game have I ever had an issue with lag or d/c or anything related to the fact that the game is online only. (To the point where I was frustrated). Maybe I am lucky... or maybe I just don't notice things as much as others. But either way... it hasn't hindered my ability to play and enjoy the game.
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 4/11/2013 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well in my defense I live in South America, so that is probably one of the things that has marred my experience with the lag and DC's (I have maybe 1 lag death / hr at least).

But that is not the only problem I have with online only.
Reply Quote
In heartbeat. All the years I played d2 I never played offline. Diablo is not an offline game. If you want offline play there are many offline games that suit it better than D3.
Reply Quote
offline = console, go play console games

04/11/2013 01:12 PMPosted by Glock
Not to sound like a fanboy or anything, but not once... not once... playing this game have I ever had an issue with lag or d/c or anything related to the fact that the game is online only. (To the point where I was frustrated). Maybe I am lucky... or maybe I just don't notice things as much as others. But either way... it hasn't hindered my ability to play and enjoy the game.

same for me, people cry too much

04/11/2013 01:17 PMPosted by DeadRu
In heartbeat. All the years I played d2 I never played offline. Diablo is not an offline game. If you want offline play there are many offline games that suit it better than D3.

same, the only time i would ever think of doing that is when i having literally nothing else to do, which is never
Reply Quote
I hated the online only of D3 when it first came out, because I had terrible internet.

But now that ADSL has moved into my town, its all good :P
Reply Quote
Yes and I have, it's Sim City. Online only games leave a sour taste in my mouth, but as long as they don't try to hide the fact that it's online only I don't mind.
Reply Quote

Me either! I work 9-6 EST which is usually when they do maintenance.

To OP, your concerns are somewhat legitimate with lag and all. I wish more content was stored locally because the first ten minutes of play are choppy sometimes, but otherwise, I love the fact that my gear and characters are stored in a safe location. I have had too many computers crash in my life to not be a total believer in the safety of the Cloud.
Reply Quote
never. unless it's an MMO.

I wouldn't have bought this one if I'd done some research on it first. Because of the words "Blizzard" and "Diablo" on the box, I made some assumptions, which in hindsight, I definitely shouldn't have. I take full responsibility for failing to research before buying, but at the same time, it's taught me a valuable lesson that I won't forget. It's not a mistake I'll make again.
Reply Quote

Maybe some people don't realize that there are more continents on Earth besides North America and Europe, that includes Blizzard.

Just maybe, other fans do not live in first world countries where connections are mostly reliable and cheap.

Just maybe, their internet does not cost them over 200 Euro a month for a broadband connection.

Just maybe thiefs didn't exist and they don't cut and steal fibre cable that runs beneath 1000 miles of Ocean, not even to mention the weather conditions that can cause cable breaks, maybe then we won't have so much DC's and suffer high latencies due to traffic re-routing.

Just maybe, if ISP's didn't shape internet traffic to the ground even with the considerable high prices paid for the connection, perhaps those said people could have better latencies. That is what you get when there is a monopoly in your country that runs the telecoms business.

Just maybe, Blizzard could create local servers for the countries that are too far away, they can hire me for my country, I will look after it. But they won't and couldn't care less.

If only there was a offline mode. Then just maybe then, people that suffer from always online games like Diablo III, can actually enjoy their games more.
Edited by Legacy#2775 on 4/11/2013 2:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I wouldn't have bought this one if I'd done some research on it first. Because of the words "Blizzard" and "Diablo" on the box, I made some assumptions, which in hindsight, I definitely shouldn't have. I take full responsibility for failing to research before buying, but at the same time, it's taught me a valuable lesson that I won't forget. It's not a mistake I'll make again.

So basically you have never bought a game that you didn't like?? Despite what "others" might think about the game? I have bought games that got great reviews... it just wasn't for me. When it comes to entertainment... you aren't always going to "like" everything.
Reply Quote
Maybe some people don't realize that there are more continents on Earth besides North America and Europe, that includes Blizzard.

Just maybe, other fans do not live in first world countries where connections are mostly reliable and cheap.

Just maybe, their internet does not cost them over 200 Euro a month for broadband connections.

Just maybe thiefs didn't exist and they don't cut and steal fibre cable that runs beneath 1000 miles of Ocean, not even to mention the weather conditions that can cause cable breaks, maybe then we won't have so much DC's and suffer high latencies due to traffic re-routing.

Just maybe, if ISP's didn't shape internet traffic to the ground even with the considerable high prices paid for the connection, perhaps those said people could have better latencies. That is what you get when there is a monopoly on the telecoms business.

Just maybe, Blizzard could create local servers for the countries that are too far away, they can hire me for my country, I will look after it. But they won't and couldn't care less.

If only there was a offline mode. Then just maybe then, people that suffer from always online games like Diablo III, can actually enjoy their games more.

Blizzard isn't going to invest more money into something than it will return. Building a server for few hundred or couple thousand people may not be financial viable for them. Sorry you don't live somewhere where the internet is on par with developing countries...but that isn't Blizzard's problem.
Reply Quote
Like I said, they would have catered to everyone if they included a offline mode, thus saving them money and also saving fans from bitter disappointment thanks to their always online policy.

Conveniently the box was extremely vague regarding to "Why" the internet connection was/is required.
Reply Quote
04/11/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Glock
Blizzard isn't going to invest more money into something than it will return. Building a server for few hundred or couple thousand people may not be financial viable for them. Sorry you don't live somewhere where the internet is on par with developing countries...but that isn't Blizzard's problem.

You have a horrible attitude, you know that. Because you won't make as much money off them, they are not worth your time? No wonder your jobs are outsourced to more "financially viable" countries. Please keep it up.

-----------------------------

As for OP's question, i dislike DRM for the sake of DRM. That applies more to EA than Blizzard currently but games like Starcraft2 (online for single player) are a sign that they are not above such unscrupulous practices. My only issue with Diablo 3 always online is the random and abundantly unnecessary maintenance and server downtime. Besides that RMAH is a huge grey area and i wont support further games with it.
Reply Quote
So - now that the servers are down (again), anyone want to change their mind on their previous answer :P
Reply Quote
I am flabbergasted....

There are more continents on earth than the US, Europe, and Australia!!!???

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It reminds me of when I first told my son that his aunt lived in Australia which is another continent.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't pay for another solely online game again. If I wanted to deal with something not functioning when it was supposed to after I shelled out lots of money for it, I'd get divorced and look for a trophy wife with fake boobs... ROFL.

Too many headaches, and while the game is down during the time I have reserved to play it out of my day, it is quite discouraging to not be able to do something that I have paid for, and then have to go look for something else to entertain me.... (much like being married... LOL j/k)

An offline run through the game mode would be much better, or even better you can continue to play when the game is off line and then it re syncs up when the servers come back up. Yes, I know this can lead to hacking, but that is why you give the user the option at character creation to enable off line for the character, which prevents the character from trading or using the auction house when they are on line. By leaving the character at creation as "online only" they effectively can do what they can do now, but not playable while the servers are down.

This would be actually just like diablo 2, except for you can bring your offline characters online with limitations in place. You can still run with your friends, just can't hand them any of the items you have created that are flagged solo, or some crazy thing like that.

Or maybe even one better. You can sync up the quests, but the only tradeable stuff is the stuff you drop on line, effectively making it like raiding, but you can train and build with your character off line. There's an idea.
Reply Quote
That depends on the game, like it does for all games that I choose to play.
Reply Quote

So basically you have never bought a game that you didn't like?? Despite what "others" might think about the game? I have bought games that got great reviews... it just wasn't for me. When it comes to entertainment... you aren't always going to "like" everything.

I didn't say I never bought a game I didn't like. You're also making the mistake of thinking that reviews = research. Reading reviews is only a tiny portion of the research I typically do for deciding whether to buy a game. The cost of the game has a lot to do with it, too. I've bought tons of games on Steam that I knew virtually nothing about, because they were very cheap, and thus not much of a risk. I.e., if I didn't like them, I was out maybe 5 or 10 bucks. No big deal. For mainstream games that typically cost $50-$60, I tend to spend many hours finding out as much as I can about them, including playing the beta or demo if there is one, hanging out on the forums, and reading through all of the published information I can find about the game, in addition to reading reviews, both professional and amateur. I failed to do that with D3. And yes, because of that, I rarely have bought a game at full retail price that I ended up not liking.

What I was talking about with D3 is that because it is a Diablo game, I didn't bother to do any research at all. I didn't know it was online only until after I bought it. If I had, I very likely wouldn't have bought it, as I just don't do online only games- again, except for MMOs, which HAVE to be online only, and lately, I've been getting less and less enamored with MMOs anyway.

Don't get me wrong- I do very much enjoy playing D3. I just don't like that it's online only, and if I had, I likely would have dismissed the idea of buying it, and never given the game a second thought.
Reply Quote
after a year, maybe

then the game gonna be full patched and maybe playable

d3 and simcity are fine examlpes
Reply Quote
04/11/2013 06:31 PMPosted by TheCursed
As for OP's question, i dislike DRM for the sake of DRM. That applies more to EA than Blizzard currently

Blizzard fools me once, shame on them.

Thank heavens I didn't fall for the call-home virus currently being spread by the Worst Company in America 2012-2013. Otherwise, it'd be shame on me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]