Diablo® III

evaluating David Brevik

51 Human Warlock
It's not fair to judge him by Hellgate and whatever else he made after 2001. What I really want to know is what he can do with 7 years of development time, Diablo 3 budget (aka the biggest budget in the world), and rights to the Diablo series where he can use the lore/atmosphere to make his own "Diablo 3".
Reply Quote
we'll see how he compare to d3 when marvel heroes come out. no point to post this now
Reply Quote
Not sure if serious.
Reply Quote
MH is said to be good but who knows???
Reply Quote
04/16/2013 08:24 PMPosted by Dusk
It's not fair to judge him by Hellgate

This topic will get deleted. For what its worth, yes i will judge him based on all his work(HG included). How is it not fair?

PS: i actually liked HG (except for the middle part where you control the group) and it introduced a lot of great ideas to gaming. It also has one of the best '1st person + 3rd person view' game play among all games. (I only played it after it went offline =p)
Edited by TheCursed#6888 on 4/16/2013 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If only he got the chance
Reply Quote
It's not fair to judge him by Hellgate and whatever else he made after 2001.

One of the dumbest comments I've ever seen on a forum and that's saying something.

But, it's not really your fault, because I've read quotes from David Brevik and the current Torchlight team where they all say they shouldn't be evaluated on how Hellgate: London went. But that's total crap.

They dished out that piece of garbage, they deserve the blame. In fact, in my opinion none of the former developers at Blizzard North have gone on to do anything even close to as good as Diablo 2, which tells me that Diablo 2 was more of an accident than anything. They can criticize Diablo 3 all they want and the D3 team for not knowing what made diablo 2 successful, but I don't think any of those guys do either.

When Marvel Heroes is bad, what will you say?
Reply Quote

What has he done in Turbine after Hellgate london?

LOTR?

P.S. He continues to disappoint me games after games after D2, what gave him the right to judge the D3 team?
Edited by Fireblade#1295 on 4/16/2013 9:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/16/2013 09:04 PMPosted by Fireblade

What has he done in Turbine after Hellgate london?

LOTR?

P.S. He continues to disappoint me games after games after D2, what gave him the right to judge the D3 team?

I don't think he judged the team in that video/interview. He said he didn't like what happened to the direction the game was going on. He said he was happy for what it showed about his team.
Reply Quote
It's not fair to judge him by Hellgate and whatever else he made after 2001. What I really want to know is what he can do with 7 years of development time, Diablo 3 budget (aka the biggest budget in the world), and rights to the Diablo series where he can use the lore/atmosphere to make his own "Diablo 3".

I agree OP. He was doing good with Diablo, that is all that matters. Maybe the first vision for D3 was off, but D3 would have been a good product.
Reply Quote
04/16/2013 09:00 PMPosted by EonReD
They dished out that piece of garbage, they deserve the blame. In fact, in my opinion none of the former developers at Blizzard North have gone on to do anything even close to as good as Diablo 2, which tells me that Diablo 2 was more of an accident than anything. They can criticize Diablo 3 all they want and the D3 team for not knowing what made diablo 2 successful, but I don't think any of those guys do either.

What was it that you didn't like about Hellgate? Did you play it?

As for the question at hand, it isn't as black and white as people want it to be. To make a great game like D2 you need great designers, with great ideas, AND you need a great development house to execute the ideas.(at least on a large scale, many small devs do great things, of course)

Hellgate had outstanding ideas, but was rushed out and insanely buggy because it had a bad publisher.

Diablo 3 has a great publisher, and whereas its had its bugs, their execution of the game has been pretty respectable overall. The ideas they are executing...well, there are plenty of threads about those. And 10 million people that don't play the game anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is that Blizzard can still publish a great game if they have the right designers. And David Brevik can still design a great game, but he will need a great publisher for it to matter.
Reply Quote
Dumbest post ever, get a life and move on idiot.

What's done is done.
Reply Quote
04/16/2013 08:45 PMPosted by Thunder
MH is said to be good but who knows???

LoL I suffered through it long enough to get a level to see what happened. Probably won't be bothered to try it again. I'd sooner go back to D2 if I did not have D3.
Reply Quote
04/16/2013 08:54 PMPosted by Mike
If only he got the chance

Ya then D3 coulds have ended up like the cesspool D2 became due to his poor design an lack of forsite. It got so bad that Blizzard could not even consider using it to build D3.
Reply Quote
One of the dumbest comments I've ever seen on a forum and that's saying something.

Dumbest post ever, get a life and move on idiot.

It's dumb to say that this is the dumbest comment ever in this forum, there are waaaaay more dumb comments sitting just around the corner <(hint)
Reply Quote
04/16/2013 08:27 PMPosted by Starico
we'll see how he compare to d3 when marvel heroes come out. no point to post this now

Marvel is not great, its fun for the first few hours but lacks of content... its a f2p game.
You're doing nothing but some areas with others where are boring event bosses and few instances, thats it.. Once you played all chapters in MH theres no reason to relay, theres not even a proper itemization or crafting.

It's fun, but cant compare to D3 and even less to D2
Reply Quote
David , David ,,, guys go better chek who was lead designer of D2:LoD before u put crown on someones head.
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 04:02 AMPosted by Chmurnik
David , David ,,, guys go better chek who was lead designer of D2:LoD before u put crown on someones head.

Why he has accepted the crown, taken credit let him get it.
Reply Quote
I love these threads, you have the Blizzard fan boys come out in droves and the Blizzard-haters attacking those opinions, you guys will never satisfy each other.

Fact of the matter, David did not make Diablo 2, a team of people did and the people who played it made that community within the game. He may have been responsible for spear heading decisions grated.

Marvel Heroes will NOT be a good game though. It is limited by trying to appeal to people as a free game. Anytime a company tells me something is free, I walk away. Design choices, philosophies within the game, game integrity, all get comprised to ensure the company turns a profit.
Reply Quote

Marvel Heroes will NOT be a good game though. It is limited by trying to appeal to people as a free game. Anytime a company tells me something is free, I walk away. Design choices, philosophies within the game, game integrity, all get comprised to ensure the company turns a profit.

Same principle applies, in a sense, to any game that implements a Real Money auction house. Design choices, philosophies, game integrity - all compromised to make sure something that was implemented as the "lesser of two evils" (letting people pay to win via an in-house, publisher controlled system over the less controlled and more open to fraud and other such issues third party market) works.

That bull!@#$ about not thinking that many people would use the RMAH or the GAH? They admitted back around launch that the drop rates were tuned with the idea that the AH was available in mind (though I'm not sure if they tried to talk that off, or "re-clarify" that it wasn't what they meant). The months following launch (until the patch that changed Legendaries, if I recall correctly) saw a game where so much that dropped was not only crap but could easily be (and often was) up to 8 levels lower than your character...in Inferno.

They had a loot system that did a piss poor job of feeling rewarding, and an incredibly convenient way of accessing what was essentially a shop to get something easily as good or better for relatively cheap, and one even had the benefit of netting Blizzard extra money, and they want me to believe they didn't think it wouldn't be used much, and the game wasn't designed with either of them in mind? Bull%^-*.

A design that encourages or condones the use of a secondary game system, such as the AH, is one thing. Blizzard managed to design it in such a way that it actively undermines the base game. So yeah, let's talk about a company compromising the game.

I have been testing MH for a couple months now, and in that time the company has been more forthcoming about their design decisions and choices, and responded better and faster to customer feedback - even when the choice they made would not be the most profitable one - than Blizzard has been in the last couple years regarding D3. I'll take a F2P cash shop over the RMAH any day of the week.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]