Diablo® III

Attention WINDFORCE Users!!

Hey fellas! I'm working a bit on my Common Builds guide and I don't have enough information on Windforce users to compile a commonly used spec, so please list what you're using! I'll put it up and credit you guys! :-)
Reply Quote
I alternate between these two builds

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#ibdkgV!ecY!aZbaYY

and

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#iWdkgV!eXY!aZbaYY

The first build uses Entangling Shot to proc Cull the Weak while Knocking back monsters into a stream of Ball of Lightning. This is an all out dmg build, and relies on careful management of Discipline due to the lack of the Nightstalker passive.

The second build is what I used to win Survivor challenge in MP9 and MP10. It exchanges Entangling Shot for Bola Stun, and drops Cull the Weak for Nightstalker. The addition of Nightstalker, plus the ability to Stun makes for a very effective build, defensively, in upper MP.

Regardless of the choice of Hatred generator, both both builds incorporate Ball of Lightning and Spitfire Turrets.

Ball of Lightning ticks twice per round, so it is excellent at proc'ing both Knockback and Nightstalker. Additionally, the piercing of BL works incredibly well with the base LifeSteal of the Windforce (why use Gloom when you can send a volley of BL across a large mob?) Finally, with a little practice, you can have a single round of BL hit a monster multiple times by continuously Knocking back the monster into the traveling path of the BL.

The choice of Spitfire Turrets is directly related to the Archery passive. Bow users receive a 15% flat dmg buff when running Archery. This bonus is also applied to your turrets, making them very potent. In addition to Archery, turrets scale very well with the high attack speed of the Winddforce. Finally, your turrets also benefit from the Cull of the Weak passive. In short, when you have two turrets up, your effective dps jumps up dramatically, and you will definitely notice an Elite's heath dropping quickly.

Edit: I have to give credit to Dieoxide for the recommendation on the Spitfire Turrets.
Edited by Tropicalypso#1473 on 4/17/2013 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
its prolly cuz there are no commonly used WF spec, u can spec in so many ways with that weapon its not even funny lulz
Reply Quote
Yeah, I get that re: lots of specs, but I'm trying to narrow down something for my guide...
Reply Quote
Don't have a lot of time to write a post as comprehensive as I'd like, so hopefully some other more experienced WF users can chime in (FrozenArrow would be good to ask).

I'm still relatively new to D3 but have been a WF DH from the get-go. I don't know if my current specific build is the BEST, but there are some general themes you notice cropping up from good WF users that should be noted:

1. Entangling Shot:Shock Collar as a great primary. Evasive Fire:Covering Fire is decent too, and would be better with cold SOJ, but you can't go wrong with Shock Collar. It has a crazy high proc rate, and when you combine multiple KBs per shot with the inherent slow of ES, it makes it very hard for mobs to get anywhere near you. Which leads me to my next point...

2. Steady Aim is incredibly viable with the knockback, especially when combined with a snaring primary like the ones described above. Honestly there's no reason to use WF without this passive in my opinion.

3. Many WF users stack Steady Aim/Cull The Weak/Archery for a reliable 50% damage boost. This may require you to take Prep if disc is an issue, but it's been my experience that I don't need disc as much due to my ability to keep mobs away.

4. Follower: use a scoundrel with multishot/high KB windforce (low DPS w/ 49-50% KB is cheap) to further help keep separation. Stack him with eHP, and depending on budget, IAS items and cold SOJ.

5. For those who like EA:Ball Lightning, WF synergizes very well with that skill as well. You can fire off a few blasts of BL, then combine with shock collar to get several hits of BL on a group of targets.

6. Elemental damage modifiers (SOJ, Inna's Belt, Zuni boots) are great gearing choices due to the damage being all "black" on the weapon.

IMO those are all consensus opinions that would be fine to put in a post. I have some personal preferences that may or may not be echoed by other WF users, however.

-I prefer CA variants over spike trap as a hatred spender. Trying to get a mob to run over EB multiple times is difficult and time consuming, though if I played on higher MPs my opinion might change. I play on MP3-5 where insta damage from CA is enough to tear through packs.

-Sentry is useful because it benefits from all 3 damage passives and does not miss even as mobs get knocked all over. Really helps with elites in particular.

-I see an odd number of DH's with low kickback values on their bows - IMO it's not worth it to get a bow below 45% KB. If you aren't knocking back mobs there is no reason to have a windforce. You will find bows in the AH where the seller doesn't realize high KB is more valuable, you just have to be patient. My bow was about 3-5mil I believe, but it took a while to find a 1250dps + socket + high KB for that price.

-I prefer Glide over Gloom for Shadow Power. Glide + Entangling Shot gets you distance from mobs and takes your damage taken down to 0, even against E's who resist KB.

I would say a common build is:
Primary - Shock Collar
Hatred Spender - BL
Shadow Power
Vault or SS
-2 "optional" slots chosen between Prep, Bat, or secondary spender i.e. Turret
Passives: Steady Aim, CtW, Archery

I personally am not a BL fan but it's probably more common than my setup.
Reply Quote
oops that was a lot longer than I thought. Sorry for wall of text.
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 09:38 AMPosted by SCOTTJ27
oops that was a lot longer than I thought. Sorry for wall of text.

You brought up a bunch of good points though.
Reply Quote
good stuff guys! Keep it coming. I'm tempted to just copy and paste that into my guide though Scott, with some modifications of course. Cinder Arrow is also a great option for proc rates and KB.
Reply Quote
Made a thread about it yesterday ^^ if you wanna check it out Oscar.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568990471

No real consensus yet but good discussion so if we manage to agree to a base you could include it in your guide it could help.

I'm most likely going to focus on Bow builds in the future so i'll see what i can do to help too.
Reply Quote
Yes, I did see that. I may mine that for information as well. ;-)
Reply Quote
I use it with a sentry build, put a m.ruby in my WF and stacked dex, +min/max damage and attack speed, so that each sentry actually does 175/205% dps. Since you need no crit, you have room and money left for a lot of defensive stats. Don't have a single build and haven't used it much so I'm not sure of the details. Pretty much the usual skills, such as tropicalypso's build #2, as long as you have sentry and engineering (no use for nightstalker with no crit chance)

But it's viable and worth mentioning. Pretty good at taking down ubers too.
Reply Quote
I use it with a sentry build, put a m.ruby in my WF and stacked dex, +min/max damage and attack speed, so that each sentry actually does 175/205% dps. Since you need no crit, you have room and money left for a lot of defensive stats. Don't have a single build and haven't used it much so I'm not sure of the details. Pretty much the usual skills, such as tropicalypso's build #2, as long as you have sentry and engineering (no use for nightstalker with no crit chance)

But it's viable and worth mentioning. Pretty good at taking down ubers too.

This is similar to what Mao runs.
Reply Quote
Forgot to add - I ran a grenades / LFB build (I know Oscar loves teh cluster grenades) and it had some utility, but I didn't have quite enough IAS to do it right. Cluster grenades, especially in enclosed dungeons, pretty much prevent anyone from ever getting near you - combined with grenadier and some cost reduction gear for cluster arrow, you have the resources to spam LFB for burst damage.

The challenge with that build came with figuring out the right ratio of each to use... grenades took a bit too long to kill stuff, but if I fired off 2 LFBs, mobs would be on me before the next round of grenades was able to explode. I think the right way to do it is alternate clusters / LFBs to keep mobs back while providing burst damage, but like I said, my APS was too low to do this without them constantly violating my steady aim space.

All that said - giant group of enemies + cluster nade spam + knockback was hella fun. Something I am going to try again in the future when I can afford 30 hatred cluster arrows and more attack speed.

Anyone else play around with this?
Reply Quote
Im glad I found this, I have been wanting to be a WF user but always thought i was a poor choice, i may have to respec my build and gear tonight.
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 03:04 PMPosted by sinlessorrow
Im glad I found this, I have been wanting to be a WF user but always thought i was a poor choice, i may have to respec my build and gear tonight.

Don't let the lower pDps fool ya, its a fun and viable weapon.
Reply Quote
Nether tentacles is useful at higher mp with higher damage sheet.
If you're glass cannon like me, it's perfect.
Gloom is important but hardly be used; meaning it saves more discipline.
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Tropicalypso
its a fun and viable weapon

I agree, it's definitely a viable weapon, especially when you consider the utility of the knockback. I have been enjoying one on Hardcore now, which I never really appreciated until now. It's definitely a switch from my face tanking main on SC.
Reply Quote
Nether tentacles is useful at higher mp with higher damage sheet.
If you're glass cannon like me, it's perfect.
Gloom is important but hardly be used; meaning it saves more discipline.

I'm curious to know why you run Bat Companion when your only spender is NT.

Do you spam the crap out of NT? (This isn't a knock on your build, I am sincerely curious)
Edited by Tropicalypso#1473 on 4/17/2013 4:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I spam the crap out of NT. This is the knock back in my build.

This is most applicable to glass cannon like me.
Since my ehp does not meet the required standard for mp 10,
Nether tentacles with extra 3% help me again so much amount of life steal. 15k per hit.
Knockback for Nether tentacles. It's not that weak. It knock backs every 2 seconds and provides enough cover to reset their attack rate.

Alternative choice is Ball of lightning.
Edited by FrozenArrow#1722 on 4/17/2013 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Tropicalypso

Don't let the lower pDps fool ya, its a fun and viable weapon.

I am kind of copying your build, but since I already have a pretty good set of gear I am only modding a few things, though Bliz has decided to review all my auctions....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]