Diablo® III

Attention WINDFORCE Users!!

View profile
04/17/2013 06:08 PMPosted by sinlessorrow

Don't let the lower pDps fool ya, its a fun and viable weapon.

I am kind of copying your build, but since I already have a pretty good set of gear I am only modding a few things, though Bliz has decided to review all my auctions....

Ugh, I hate it when an auction is held for review. It seems like every third or fourth purchase ends up stuck like that.

One thing I want to point out is that the Knockback proc on Bola is relatively poor, especially when compared with Entangling Shot. With ES, you can literally hold back an entire army, but you lose the ability to lockdown an Elite (like you can with the Stun Bola).

I bounce back and forth between either option, depending my mood.
Reply Quote

I am kind of copying your build, but since I already have a pretty good set of gear I am only modding a few things, though Bliz has decided to review all my auctions....

Ugh, I hate it when an auction is held for review. It seems like every third or fourth purchase ends up stuck like that.

One thing I want to point out is that the Knockback proc on Bola is relatively poor, especially when compared with Entangling Shot. With ES, you can literally hold back an entire army, but you lose the ability to lockdown an Elite (like you can with the Stun Bola).

I bounce back and forth between either option, depending my mood.

I was going to ask how the knock back works, I have my gear for now setup and its pretty decent for only costing 250mil. I have noticed Bola doesnt knockback but bosses are immune to that alot of times so the lockdown is amazing on bola, how does knockback work on EA?
Reply Quote
View profile
When running the Stun Bola, I rely in EA to handle the Knockback duties. Ball of Lightning has a 50% proc rate, but you get multiple opportunities with it because BL will tick multiple times on a given monster.

I tend to launch 3 to 4 rounds or BL at an approaching mob, then immediately chase it with Stun Bola. Most times, the combination will hit the mob simultaneously, and end up Knocking mobs back (or just melt them outright)

To truly get a feel for Knockback, I recommend trying out Entangling Shot - Shock Collar instead of the Stun Bola. ES has a ridiculously high proc rate, and actually deals more single target dmg then the Stun Bola. Basically, if a monster is eligible for Knockback, ES will send them flying.

Regarding bosses/Elites, it's actually a bit of a crapshoot as to whether of not you can Knock them back. For example, I have ran into Act 3 Phasebeasts who were completely immune, and I have encountered others that couldn't get anywhere near me. I'm not sure if there is a standard or not.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bVXgQc!eXY!ZZZYaa

This my build, though its not that common, I feel very comfort at mp10.
My English is not good enough, I try to explain a little.

Shock Collar: hatred generator, disp generator (night stalker), 160 High proc rate helps to keep the mods fars away by kb.
Echo Spike: main damage output against large group of monster.
Rapid Fire: for single monster, it kill really fast. I m looking for the upcoming burf on 1.08 patch.
Punishment: Restore hatred, my point of view: hatred = damage output.
Gloom: defensive skill, no explain. (sometimes I replace it with Caltrops- bait the Trap, it greatly improve my dps, however without gloom, its really hard to against elite with dmg reflect affix)
Smoke Screen: defensive skill, no explain.

Passive Skills:
Archery: no explaination.
Steady Aim: good skills with windforce.
Night Stalker: disp is the most important part of this build.

Conclusion: use Shock Collar to keep distance with enemies and restore disp and hatred. Generate Hatred from Punishment. Use Hated spender to create main dmg output. The build needs lots of discipline consumption, large disp amount (ie nat set) and Night Stalker is a must.

Something minor: I got Chance to fear, freeze and immobilized on my helm, belt and boots, those are bonus to keep the monsters far away due to the high proc rate of Shock Collar.

I always looking for a DH only mp10 run, if any1 interest, please add me as friend in game.
:)
Reply Quote
Thats what i love about our class so far. So many different build everyone posted.

As much as everyone !@#$%es about Barbs, if i was one i would prolly had rerolled by now, having a build that 100% trumps all the others isn't fun.
Reply Quote

Regarding bosses/Elites, it's actually a bit of a crapshoot as to whether of not you can Knock them back. For example, I have ran into Act 3 Phasebeasts who were completely immune, and I have encountered others that couldn't get anywhere near me. I'm not sure if there is a standard or not.

Blues can be knocked back, yellows can not.

Reason I like Entangling Shot + Shadow Power:Glide is that the snare + occasional movement speed burst is enough for me to maintain steady aim distance on mobs that can't be knocked back. If it's a yellow walling jailing phasebeast, I basically just pop turrets and run around them trying not to die before they do.
Reply Quote
04/17/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Oscar
good stuff guys! Keep it coming. I'm tempted to just copy and paste that into my guide though Scott, with some modifications of course. Cinder Arrow is also a great option for proc rates and KB.

Feel free to copy whatever you'd like.

I used HA (mostly puncturing arrow), it is better than bola but IMO the snare of Entangling shot plus guarantee of hitting 2 mobs puts it above. The snare is really underrated in terms of how much it synergizes with a knockback effect. Moving a mob 5 yards and also causing it to take twice as long for it to close that gap again is clutch.

I also plan on trying the rune that snares 4 mobs at some point. Not as good for single targets / elites but might make mass Cluster Bombs with Cull the Weak do crazy damage.

Most of my opinions on WF revolve around keeping 100% steady aim uptime. When you add it to the archery passive which for bows is a flat 15% damage increase, you have a solid 35% damage modifier which is a good way to keep your DPS in line with calamity / manti users.

I don't think the WW barb I pubbed with last night appreciated my build though.
Reply Quote
Thanks again guys! I have enough to write into my build compilation now. I'll get started on that, I will make edits as further information becomes available! Please do NOT stop posting! Love seeing what everyone is doing here!
Reply Quote
does the knockback effect of strongarm braces stack with WF?
Reply Quote
Here's mine, the classic :)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQkdgV!UVe!ZacbYY
Reply Quote
- Hybrid Fear Hunters - ( Windforce )

- Shock Fear Hunter -
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bihkgd!YVe!ZbZaYY
( main focus: dex, crit chance, crit dmg, attackspeed, average dmg as well)

- Sentry + Fear Hunter -
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aihkXd!UeY!abYaZY
(main focus : dex,attackspeed, average dmg)

Playstyle : Dont stop shooting !!
( Against elites, have a spare SOJ in your inventory & swap it when the time comes)

The builds above are meant for less-tanky windforce glasscannons. It is very effective , against most elites in most situations. The idea is , they will never , ever get close to you. Because you are knock-fearing them all the time. So why worry about defense ? Go n hunt them down ~ n_n

Best effect & fun when used in groups. Happy hunting !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by Mao#6908 on 4/20/2013 12:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/18/2013 09:21 PMPosted by sinlessorrow
does the knockback effect of strongarm braces stack with WF?

Yes.
Reply Quote
hi, nice to see a rare WF discussion :)

here's a thread from EU with spec built around WF :
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7257095659

it's built around high proc skills to maximize the benefit of knockback. i run with a bit different version which works for me, farming MP6 with no problems. still have to test it on higher MP just to see if i can pull it off :)
Reply Quote
View profile
Thank you for sharing :0)

I like the idea about Chakram w/ the hatred reduction.
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
@Tropicalypso :) well Twin Chakrams are overlooked by most people, but it's actually a great skill with high proc and nice DMG, once you get used to it a little bit (since it has a dead spot) it's great :) it proces KB all the time and if you go with Caltrops:Bait the trap it goes all yellow :) and getting it for free allows you to pop a Sentry at anytime or use any other spender you like without running hatred hungry. Spamming them keeps mobs away almost all the time :)
Reply Quote
Lots of really good info here on my favorite DH weapon. Having tried a few manitcores although it was very very good for dps, it was lacking just plain out fun in this class, picked up a cheap WF and haven't looked back since! I did change out for more knock-back after seeing this thread- it is one of the best features the WF has to get the demons to get the heck out of your face lol
Edited by IronChef48#1729 on 4/20/2013 7:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My Basic skills are bola shot and gas grenades... may sound weird but you guys can try with Windforce plus dead man's legacy. then for the other skills caltrops or spike traps then sentries, the discipline skills like preparation and shadow power.
Reply Quote
Bumping this now with 1.08 out to see what everything thinks of WF now.
Reply Quote
I had a calamity 1st, and although it had very good attack speed I got bore with being so dependant on gloom. so I got this my WF as the 1st step in a build without gloom, i now know that with the current DH that prolly isn't possible.

but u know what im really liking this WF the life steal means i don't have to have 100% uptime on gloom, and can have some fun with caltrops and spikes. i basically use two primary attacks HA/teeth for the knockback and grenades for when i don't need it like if im playing with a cm wiz or if i wanna get up close with a pack and tank it.

if things start to go south i will swap out my unity for a SoJ and as the WF is a black magic weapon i get all the effects, especially HA/teeth as its a straight up weapon damage skill.

even the knockback is not bad once you get used to it, not only can you keep some distance it needed but u can do other things with it. like its quite easy to pin a monster against a wall and just keep him there while you triple stack some spikes right under him.

right now with my build and playstyle, there is no other weapon choice :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]