Diablo® III

Making a transition from DH to Monk

Hi guys,

I've recently started gearing my monk. And so far, I love the massive amount of damage I'm doing!
Since I'm still new at all of this, I do have a few questions:

1. If you had to choose between Critical Hit Damage or raw damage, what would you choose?
I'm trying to pick out a good LS Skorn but with the amount of money I have, I have to choose between one with high dps (+1300) or one with high CD (+180%). So in this case, What would you choose? (Ruby VS. Emerald)

2. Similar question as above, how dependent are Monks on CC and CD?
Demon Hunters were extremely dependent on CC and CD and I'm wondering if Monks are the same in that aspect.

3. What is a good EHP, unbuffed DPS, and spirit regen rate to shoot for to farm MP5~8?
Right now, I'm sitting comfortably at +500k EHP and +120k DPS... and much lower for both when I switch to TR gear (SoJ and Inna hat). For those of you farming high MP levels, what is your EHP, DPS, and buffed spirit regen rate?

Much thanks in advance..!

P.S. Feel free to critique my gear!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Oxygenetic-1274/hero/31489016
Reply Quote
First imo you need to balance out your raw damage/cd/cc. The highter your crit damage the more dps you will gain per CC. But you dont have to have 600% CD and 25% CC. It also comes down to your build. I'm straight bells so the higher the DPS in your main hand weapon the higher the damage from WoL. Which is why I put a ruby in my skorn instead of the emerald. On that note, I have a skorn for sale if youre interested (1368 dps, 198% CD, 4.6% LS) just add me in game.

While using a skorn (if thats what you choose) your attacks will be very slow. I use FoT with quickening rune which adds an extra 15 spirit per crit. So every crit grants me 21 spirit therefore making up the spirit regen loss for the slow attacks. Also, crit's add to your SW stack, its nice when in just a few hits you have full stack and are throwing out those cyclones.

As for DPS and EHP from mp5-8 i'm just going to throw out the base number ive seen on here a lot (which i use to farm mp10) 200k dps unbuffed and 550k ehp with 550AR min. I'm currently sitting at 205k dps unbuffed (scoundrel puts me at 215k) with 675k ehp and 600 ar with owe

For your gear this is just my critque. Lose the vile ward and craft you shoulders. It's very easy to get good shoulders that are better than them. switch out the inna's belt for a witching hour the added AS is nice especially since youre 2h. try to find a nice trifecta ring or a unity instead of that SOJ. Also try crafting a few ammy's you'd be surprised (mine is nice and not yet perf).

As for your skills i'd get rid of chant for STI and guardian light for either exalted soul for the extra 100 spirit. Change out SW rune for cyclone it will increase your dps by alot, but from the looks of it you are building a regen build for TR so that may not be viable for you. If youre soloing chang MoH for MoC with overawe the 24% extra dmg is huge.
Edited by XxNitewolfxX#1699 on 4/21/2013 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Around here newbie monk suggestions we usually start with:

1. check out the sticky, there's TONS of GREAT threads linked in it :D
2. if you're not already, try familiarizing yourself with d3up.com
3. if you still have questions, DON'T hesitate to ask!
Reply Quote
1. If you had to choose between Critical Hit Damage or raw damage, what would you choose?
I'm trying to pick out a good LS Skorn but with the amount of money I have, I have to choose between one with high dps (+1300) or one with high CD (+180%). So in this case, What would you choose? (Ruby VS. Emerald)

I'd take the raw damage as long as it isn't a big DPS loss. I'm fine losing ~2-3k DPS on a Ruby instead of Emerald.

2. Similar question as above, how dependent are Monks on CC and CD?
Demon Hunters were extremely dependent on CC and CD and I'm wondering if Monks are the same in that aspect.

CC is major because of quickening/rising tide (spirit on crit)

3. What is a good EHP, unbuffed DPS, and spirit regen rate to shoot for to farm MP5~8?
Right now, I'm sitting comfortably at +500k EHP and +120k DPS... and much lower for both when I switch to TR gear (SoJ and Inna hat). For those of you farming high MP levels, what is your EHP, DPS, and buffed spirit regen rate?

I run 215k DPS, ~280-300k eHP, and 15+ Spirit regen on MP10.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply guys. Much appreciated!

The gears I have on right now are mostly for TR + SW runs on MP0~1 for quick EXP.
I do have a decent Witching Hour and Mempo for me to switch into but the IAS doesn't really help when it comes to TR.

And Nitewolf, I am indeed interested in your Skorn. But I'm not sure if I have the gold to nab it off of you. If you can give me a ballpark price range on that weapon, that'd be nice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]