Diablo® III

Crafting Weapons?

I've been looking at different Monks around the forums and noticed that a lot of them have really awesome one-handed weapons that were crafted from the "Exalted Grand Conquest Sword" recipe. I'm getting to the point where a decent weapon upgrade for me would cost around 80m and I'm thinking that I might be better off trying to craft something.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there anything I should know before dumping gold into this? Thoughts?
Reply Quote
no just no please for the love of god no

most of those are from a crafting exploit (i think) but was patched months ago
Edited by baggins#6187 on 4/22/2013 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/22/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Mythrandia
Does anyone have experience with this? Is there anything I should know before dumping gold into this? Thoughts?

LOL. It's actually an interesting question for me. If I had a lot of gold to spare (which I don't right now), I'd love to drop a couple of million on crafting weapons and see what comes up. Just for kicks. Now that we're experiencing a taste of what crafting can do. And then I read:

04/22/2013 12:00 PMPosted by baggins

And I put that thought off for the time being, and focus my crafting efforts on BoA items. :)
Reply Quote
So can you not get a decent result from crafting now? I have crafted a few (about 30 or so) just to see with varying results. Most of them had a socket, most rolled strength or dex, many rolled crit damage, a couple rolled over 1000 damage, and many rolled life steal. Is it not possible to roll all of these in one anymore? On about 5 of them I sold them for my money back, and one I got about 5m for (socket, crit, life steal, life on hit, 900 damage) l. Overall I've about broken even, but obviously I'm not really in it to break even.
Reply Quote
Hmmm... interesting. That is true... crafting other items can still be sold in AH. Maybe I should do it just for kicks.
Reply Quote
You'll claw your eyes out at all the weapons that don't even roll black +min/max and +% wpn dmg.
Reply Quote
04/22/2013 12:19 PMPosted by BDF
You'll claw your eyes out at all the weapons that don't even roll black +min/max and +% wpn dmg.

And how is this different from all of our BoA crafts that don't roll DPS affixes (in DPS slots)?
Reply Quote
04/22/2013 12:22 PMPosted by Nameless
And how is this different from all of our BoA crafts that don't roll DPS affixes (in DPS slots)?

Because rolling 200+ of a primary stat has spoiled us and made us forget how truely bad a crafted item can be. Going from needing 6 rolls to having 1 guaranteed and needing 5 rolls is alot more significant that people think it is.

Not to mention ilvl 62 items have ilvl 62 rolls, NOT ilvl 63 rolls.
Reply Quote
ok I wasted 30mil on conquest swords not 1 over 1000dps
Reply Quote
04/22/2013 12:37 PMPosted by baggins

High Five!
Reply Quote
^ same thing - i think i had one or 2 over 1k dps with no good mods
Reply Quote
^ this, a couple of times. That's why I stopped crafting weps.
Reply Quote
Because rolling 200+ of a primary stat has spoiled us and made us forget how truely bad a crafted item can be. Going from needing 6 rolls to having 1 guaranteed and needing 5 rolls is alot more significant that people think it is.

Not to mention ilvl 62 items have ilvl 62 rolls, NOT ilvl 63 rolls.

I have a big thread on crafting and strategies, and I think are just getting into the discussion about crafting odds, and the leaps that it takes to get an upgrade from 3 affixes fixed to 4. Thread is here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8517952016

Put it this way. Getting that one guaranteed affix makes for an attractive first sets of crafts because you are almost guaranteed to find an upgrade by about roll #30 if you have average gear you are replacing. All that the guaranteed stat has done is get us sucked into the game (much like a drug) and then the likelihood of crafting an upgrade becomes harder to get because the requirements you have for an upgrade become more and more restrictive over time (also like a drug - it takes more of the drug to get the same high, it would generally take more crafts to find that upgrade), It doesn't mean you stop doing it, but just knowing that could cause one to take pause about how much to pursue the crafting piece of the upgrade.

That is quite possibly why you hear of people rolling hundreds if not thousands of crafts of one item and not getting something worth using over what they already have. I think Druin has crafted well over 2000 gloves in his quest for a great glove (which would cost 100M to do). Worse yet, you can't even get any of that gold back because you can't sell any of these crafts in the open market so it's truly a gold sink.

Crafting weapons, on the other hand... can be an interesting proposition. Given that you have all of these crafting mats, I wonder if there is any likelihood in being able to craft anything worth value and selling in the open market once crafted since none of these are BoA. Can weapon crafting be an income generator while still looking for an upgrade?

One thing I haven't gotten around to grasping is the difference between an ilvl62 and an ilvl63 roll. What exactly does that mean? Is it simply adding one more affix (so going from 5 available to 6?) or is it also the amount that each affix can roll?

edit: but as has been posted in prior posts, it looks like people have tried and failed after spending 30M. So what can I say? It was just a passing thought anyway. :P
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 4/22/2013 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
One thing I haven't gotten around to grasping is the difference between an ilvl62 and an ilvl63 roll. What exactly does that mean? Is it simply adding one more affix (so going from 5 available to 6?) or is it also the amount that each affix can roll?

The number of affixes an item gets is dealt with on a separate roll, not related to ilvl.

For example though the +% wpn dmg affix
%50 is max for ilvl 63
%40 is max for ilvl 62

%60 CD is the max crit dmg roll on an ilvl 62 amulet
%100 CD is the max crit dmg roll on an ilvl 63 amulet (impossible before affix roll range was determined by the mob ilvl that dropped the item)

and on and on

To get the actual ranges and effects of ilvl on roll ranges I'd recommend digging around on some really old posts over at diabofans.com in the theorycrafting threads. Long before many changes to how items dropped/rolled.
Edited by BDF#1838 on 4/22/2013 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
never know blizz mite introduce weapon crafting in future but doubt it

it kills there precious auction house
Reply Quote
04/22/2013 12:37 PMPosted by baggins

Man... when you think how much that cost you... That could have been another 300 useless amulets...

It's how high the rolls are. So you can get something like 4.5% CC max on a ilvl62 bracer roll. (I'm thinking back to when rings only rolled up to ilvl62, which maxed at at 4.5 instead of 6). And there's lower minimums, too. So you can maybe hit that 2.5% CC roll on the bracers.

Probably about the same total number of affixes in the pool, just some of the high-end ones have been removed, and replaced with ones that are lower than could have been rolled previously. So it's really hard to compete with drops now that affix range is determined by the level of the monster that dropped it.
Reply Quote
%60 CD is the max crit dmg roll on an ilvl 62 amulet
%100 CD is the max crit dmg roll on an ilvl 63 amulet (impossible before affix roll range was determined by the mob ilvl that dropped the item)

Really? I don't think so. Check out http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/gotaplanstan-1369/hero/5365804 for his amulet. It's an ilvl61 amulet, and his rolled a 100% ChD. Am I missing something?

@DW... gotcha. I think. Yeah, being able to craft ilvl63 weapons would seem like an interesting proposition then.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 4/22/2013 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Really? I don't think so. Check out http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/gotaplanstan-1369/hero/5365804 for his amulet. It's an ilvl61 amulet, and his rolled a 100% ChD. Am I missing something?

For non-crafted items, the range of affixes is determined by the monster dropping the item. Only base stats (base damage and base armor) are determined by the item level. So for dropped rings, item level never matters.

Crafted ilvl62 items have lower minimum rolls for affixes, lower maximum rolls for affixes, and lower base rolls. It's real hard to get a good crafted item except for BoA because of that. ANd it will never realy be BiS.
Reply Quote
Alright then. This is really good information. So basically, weapons crafting will suck until they allow for the min rolls and max rolls to be ilvl63, regardless of actual item level in crafting.

Man, if it's that useless, then why even give the crafting option for any other items? They've "upgraded" the drops so much that it has made crafting pretty useless outside of the BoA stuff. They really need to make similar shifts / changes in the crafting part of the game if they want this to be a viable option for most players. But they probably don't care about that... so whatever.
Reply Quote

most of those are from a crafting exploit (i think) but was patched months ago

This.

Alright then. This is really good information. So basically, weapons crafting will suck until they allow for the min rolls and max rolls to be ilvl63, regardless of actual item level in crafting.

Man, if it's that useless, then why even give the crafting option for any other items? They've "upgraded" the drops so much that it has made crafting pretty useless outside of the BoA stuff. They really need to make similar shifts / changes in the crafting part of the game if they want this to be a viable option for most players. But they probably don't care about that... so whatever.

It's like you just started playing Diablo 3 and weren't around for the previous ... how long has it been since they released? Crafting has been a gigantic waste for a long, long time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]