Diablo® III

Act 3 Keep Depths No Bloodstained Letter

50 Pandaren Hunter
Hi. I've been playing Diablo 3 since it's beta form.I am now currently working on completing all of the achievements so I can fully customize my banner. There is an achievement in Act 3 called Primary Sources. One of the required pieces of Lore you are to acquire is "Bloodstained Letter". Now according to both the official strategy guide and multiple online sources, the Bloodstained Letter is supposed to come off of a "Dead Soldier" in the Keep Depths. Which level in Keep Depths is up for debate, but I have never found the "Bloodstained Letter" on any of my characters. I have read posts on this site about some of the earliest characters on this game can not attain the letter. So I tried creating new characters and taking them through Act 3 in hopes of finally getting that letter. But all of my attempts have been futile. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the game to see if maybe it was an error that occurred during download and that didn't solve this issue either.
Reply Quote
Seems like you're just having bad luck. Try looking for it more ;)
Reply Quote
50 Pandaren Hunter
Still nothing. But I am glad to see on the forums that I'm not alone with this issue. Hopefully before Patch 1.08 drops there will be a maintenance update to fix this issue for all who are being afflicted with it.
Reply Quote
I just walked into the keep depths on Inferno and killed a handful of mobs right near the entrance. I noticed a guard corpse in the middle of the floor and clicked it, out popped a bloodstained letter. When I tried to pick it up, it just vanished and nothing happened. Looking at my achievements, it looks like I already have the bloodstained letter checked off. So either I just got it when the book vanished, or I had it from the last time I played through this area more than 8 months ago.

My character has been around since near the beginning of the game launch, so it doesn't seem like there is an issue with old characters. I played for a couple months, then took a really long break, then started playing again about two weeks ago.

Here is all the info about my current state when it dropped:
  • Difficulty: Inferno
  • Monster Power: Level 3
  • Magic Find: 120% (No Nephalem Valor, I just logged in at the beginning of this quest)
  • Objective: The Breached Keep - Find the Keep Depths Level 2
  • Location: The Keep Depths Level 1 (I just entered from Bastion's Keep Stronghold)
  • Looted from: "Dead Guardsman" (not completely sure on the name)

My guess is that it can drop anywhere in the keep depths, and that you have just been incredibly unlucky. I hope this information helps somehow.

By the way, the item text for the book is the same color as tradeskill items and gems when it is sitting on the ground (light blue).
Edited by Sesla#1968 on 4/28/2013 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Imo the letter only drops in Keep Depths lvl 1 and on any difficulty and any mp. And yes, from a corpse :)
Found it like a million times.
Reply Quote
50 Pandaren Hunter
i must have the absolute worst luck in the world or my game is actually bugged because it has NEVER dropped for me. it's the only piece of Lore in the ENTIRE game that i have not acquired.
Reply Quote
That's weird, I see these drop all the time in keeps. I figured it was bugged since it keeps dropping even after picking it up the first 30 times. Check dead bodies, not sure if it's exclusive to one level per run or what but it's there.
Reply Quote
wont drop for me either, searched multiple Dead Soldier corpses and just drops gold. First time running through on this character so i have not gotten it previously. Wish Blizzard would stop ignoring this bug and notice the multitude of reports about this...
Reply Quote
50 Pandaren Hunter
i wholeheartedly agree with you JenD3.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/phonenumbers

The website above gives all the corresponding numbers to Blizzard Entertainment's hotline. just find the number that matches your area of the world and follow the automated instructions until you get to a live representative. i've called them and they said to post it on the forums. that was about 10 days ago. since i and i'm sure many other have and got told the same thing, i think more of us need to start calling them and complaining instead of making a forum topic that seems to just be overlooked.
Reply Quote
I find that when something like this will not drop, you need to go after it with a new character. That has worked for me in Act 2 recently
Reply Quote
50 Pandaren Hunter
Alright new character, new patch, same problem. grrr...this is very irritating. looks like im going to be contacting blizzard relentlessly until they fix the problem. hearing my voice and seeing a flood of bug reports will hopefully do the trick
Reply Quote
I get that thing almost every time im in Act 3. I never get any dialogue though or at least I dont anymore.
Reply Quote
still broken, its checked in achievements, but still keeps dropping ingame as if it wasn't checked.
as you can see on the screenshot every achievement is checked, but "Primary Sources" is still marked as incomplete

http://bayimg.com/oAMbEaaek

tried on both softcore/hardcore with multiple chars, including brand new ones
Edited by Grave#2119 on 5/9/2013 12:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hilarious that this is still broken.
I login every patch to check if it drops yet. When I find that it does not, I log off until the next patch.

I believe this was one of the broken pieces of Lore when D3 originally launched. My guess would be that it's still broken for the people who encountered the bug back then and Blizzard are being pigheaded in refusing to look at the problem any further.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I am finally joining in here and posting. This is the last one I need for Act 3 and after 30 runs and many dead solders, no Bloodstained letter drops. At least I know I am not alone on this.
Reply Quote
I used to play on Asia server, I got the Bloodstained letter, that's before patch 1.08. Now I play on Americas server, the dead soldier only drop gold. Those who have more than 1 characters, you can try obtain it with another character who has not been there yet. I intend to try that but not there yet. Hope that works.
Reply Quote
Same problem here! I posted on the technical issues forum all the books that don't drop for me even when I've met the prerequisites many many times and still no drops... total bull!@#$! This is one of the main reasons I keep playing D3 to get all the achievements and about half of them are bugged! fix it blizz
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8874517965

I had a more detailed run for this. I had a friend with me that got the letter while I haven't. So it isn't a matter of luck. It is a bug.

I have every other lore & journal aside from this one from every act.
Reply Quote
The problem is you already got the letter but the achievement system never counted it. Since you can only get the drop once per character you can't get it again with the same character.

The achievement system sometimes doesn't register things. It is pretty common bug that's been in the game from the start. It not only misses parts of an achievement but also it sometimes misses completing achievements when everything gets checked.

As for the bloodstained letter you should be able to get the letter on another character. That is the only way to finish the achievement it until Blizzard fixes the bug(s) and comes up with a solution for everyone affected.
Edited by Rapap#1672 on 5/27/2013 11:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah I had to create a new character to get the bloodstained letter, any characters that were created before the fix were unable to have it drop. I tried every single one.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]